• 154 results
#1 Posted by pooty (11181 posts) - - Show Bio

Have you dated someone.....lost them... and wish you could have them back? Have you ever had a friend....who you wished was "more then a friend"....now you can't have them at all? Have you ever just randomly encountered someone or seen a stranger and thought " There is something special about this person".... but never got a chance to meet them?

#2 Posted by Vortex13 (12250 posts) - - Show Bio

No to all three. I try not to dwell on the past, I'm also too cynical to believe that there is only one person that can be your "true love". I believe there are oodles of people out there that would be compatible with you and fill you with joy........ but some my not speak your language.....So I guess what I'm getting at if you want to find your "true love" be multi-lingual.

#3 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

Negative, everything works out in the end.

#4 Edited by Dernman (15105 posts) - - Show Bio

No because my true love is always right there when I look in the mirror. :p

#5 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

No, I regret the way some of my relationships have ended, but I never have thought my life would be better if I had stayed with one of them.

#6 Posted by Journal (495 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes I dated someone and we broke up. I'm sure it happens to almost everyone. I also fall in love and then fall out of love.

#7 Posted by Inverno (13221 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes I had one in high school... I didn't knew she was leaving at the time and in her last day in class she kissed me and said she wouldn't forget me...

#8 Edited by Sexy Merc (42075 posts) - - Show Bio

Long story but I'll keep it short. There was this girl who I knew since we were kids. I never thought of her as any more than a friend up until high school. We started spending a lot of time together during our sophomore year; we had our first session together in my garage, she never blazed before. I still remember that day like it was last week. Anyway, we pretty much spent a lot of the year together (especially summer) which was pretty difficult to do in high school. I was on the basketball team all 4 years and she was just that really cute/pretty, well dressed, smart girl. A lot of the girls in our school were jealous of her, you know how some HS chicks get ... But anyway everything was going well, I was her first - we had a lot of first times that year - thought this was really going somewhere, but there was some conflict (not going to get into specifics) we had and we broke up near October of our 3rd year.

I was really young, dumb, and reckless back then. I cared about her a lot, but just the life and mindset I was living at the time, I didn't care about many other people aside from my closest friends. We graduated and everything and went to different universities. We talked occasionally, my mom always liked her and wanted me to work things out with her, but I just didn't really care much in my first year of uni. A lot of women there, big step up from HS, had the same level of popularity as in HS and was well-known around, but I made some bad decisions. I just wasn't satisfied with any of the women there, they were all different but all the same ... they just weren't her. Fast forward a year later and we talked again heart to heart at a place we both remembered very well. I brought some of her favourite stuff too, and just had this whole thing planned.

We got back together and everything was going fine. This was the woman I wanted to spend the rest of my life with; I knew it for sure. No other person made me feel the same way I did when I was with her. She was in a program that would take her into med school, but for her last 2 years she needed to leave the country and study abroad to finish her program. I was heartbroken, didn't know what was going to happen. The place she was going to had two of the most prestigious med schools as well, and I was sure she was planning on just staying there. I wasn't ready to put any sort of commitment into moving with her, leaving my family and friends for that ch~t, and not being able to physically see her for that long, it would just be unbearable, so I broke it off. 

She stayed their for one year and we barely talked for that whole span. I hated it, I don't like having to talk to her like nothing happened. I don't like having to send something by her and pretend like we don't know each other. You know, that's just not the way it should be. I really felt like I lost her at that point, but the difference since I was in high school is that I knew what I wanted, and I knew what was important/real to me. So one reading week I had, I visited her without her knowing. Her friends kept her updated sort of with how I was doing, she just never really straight up asked much about it. It was hard times, you know, when she opened that door ... It was just a really emotional day, and following days. We worked through A LOT of stuff, we worked hard on future plans, past mistakes, we literally talked for like 15 hours straight one day, just her and I. We had everything planned out, and were both committed. She finished one year there, and managed to finish her last year through a uni linked to one of the better med schools we have here. 

She got accepted, I graduated, and we're both living together in a very nice home my parents used to own. A lot of the mortgage, loans, and other financial aspects of it were given to us at very reasonable rates with a lot of it already paid off. Present time now, and I'm going to ask her to marry me next year. That was lengthier than I thought it was going to be ... oh well.

Cliffs:
Don't be that little b~tch, the weak/whiny one, who loses his/her opportunity for a person they care about due to your own problems. Don't break mentally at those points when you think it's getting too tough. You really don't know how special what you got is until it's too late sometimes. Don't be that passive person who always feels sorry for themselves or prays one day to find that special someone. There are people who wish for things to happen, dream of those special romantic moments and lovers, those who want those things to happen or feel they will happen ... that's all bullsh~t. I've never been one to believe in the whole soul mate thing, even though she's making me really wonder. What we got was through hard work mentally, emotionally, just some of the hardest times in my life. Always be genuine, don't be a coward. Be one of the people who actually go out there make them happen, don't let is pass you by so easily.

#9 Posted by Mercy_ (92701 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sexy Merc: asdjkfhskladjhf adorable

#10 Posted by YoungJustice (6845 posts) - - Show Bio

Aw. Merc is getting married. Lets open up the bottle of Remy.

#11 Posted by pooty (11181 posts) - - Show Bio

@CaioTrubat said:

Yes I had one in high school... I didn't knew she was leaving at the time and in her last day in class she kissed me and said she wouldn't forget me...

man, look her up on facebook or something. find her. i don't want the story to end this way.

@Sexy Merc: excellent

#12 Posted by Inverno (13221 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty: I already have met her in real life. She is now married to another man and is now with their first child on the way. Maybe we weren't supposed to be...

#13 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

A total of two-three times. Yes. And it sucked.

Ok, not "true love", but girls I really liked.

First one: stupid 16 year old me completely failed to realize that my best friend (a female) was madly in love with me and through it in my face. Literally, we shared our first etceteras.ifyouknowwhatImean . I had ridiculous affection toward her too, but stupid little KnightRise wouldn't do anything else about it because of my stupid friends, their criticism, and the fact that she had dated my other good friend for a grand total of three weeks (marriage by 9th grade standards). We friendzoned each other. We drifted apart after that. I haven't seen her since, but on Facebook she's in and out of relationships with scumbags, losers, and wastes of oxygen.

Flash forward three years to May of this year: age 19, a previous friend and I started talking and working on a relationship. She said I made her feel like she's never felt before. We had a few official date-dates (trust me they went awesome I thought. Details inappropriate ;) ) and talked for weeks, but literally the moment before I could ask for more time together/exclusivity she hit me with "a we're just friends, right?" Devastating. I have friends, I haven't talked to her since then either. It sucked more than the other two, because this girl was perfect for me. Wierd, quirky, a little nerdy, sharpwitted, edgy sense of humor, she was an environmental nut (so exactly like me, but female) she liked staying up to watch the sunrise, and was my type physically. Then it turns out the entire time she was talking to some other guy, too. Still haven't stopped thinking about what could've been, though.

#14 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vortex13 said:

No to all three. I try not to dwell on the past, I'm also too cynical to believe that there is only one person that can be your "true love". I believe there are oodles of people out there that would be compatible with you and fill you with joy........ but some my not speak your language.....So I guess what I'm getting at if you want to find your "true love" be multi-lingual.

I started way overthinking this, but I'm going to simplify what I had originally thought of posting, and say "I agree in most aspects". There are multiple people to make a person happy, there's not just one. You are only ever truly in love with one at a time, however, which plays a role in who you decide to (or want to but are unable to) marry and spend your life with, obviously.

So yes, I've lost a love, but not my only forever love. Life moves on. You either move on with it, or you stay alone forever, because you didn't get the one person out of 7 billion other people, that you wanted to be with.

@KnightRise said:

A total of two-three times. Yes. And it sucked.

Ok, not "true love", but girls I really liked.

First one: stupid 16 year old me completely failed to realize that my best friend (a female) was madly in love with me and through it in my face. Literally, we shared our first etceteras.ifyouknowwhatImean . I had ridiculous affection toward her too, but stupid little KnightRise wouldn't do anything else about it because of my stupid friends, their criticism, and the fact that she had dated my other good friend for a grand total of three weeks (marriage by 9th grade standards). We friendzoned each other. We drifted apart after that. I haven't seen her since, but on Facebook she's in and out of relationships with scumbags, losers, and wastes of oxygen.

Flash forward three years to May of this year: age 19, a previous friend and I started talking and working on a relationship. She said I made her feel like she's never felt before. We had a few official date-dates (trust me they went awesome I thought. Details inappropriate ;) ) and talked for weeks, but literally the moment before I could ask for more time together/exclusivity she hit me with "a we're just friends, right?" Devastating. I have friends, I haven't talked to her since then either. It sucked more than the other two, because this girl was perfect for me. Wierd, quirky, a little nerdy, sharpwitted, edgy sense of humor, she was an environmental nut (so exactly like me, but female) she liked staying up to watch the sunrise, and was my type physically. Then it turns out the entire time she was talking to some other guy, too. Still haven't stopped thinking about what could've been, though.

And this is why sex often causes problems. Nothing moral involved here, not judging you, but as some advice, I'd stay away from that sort of thing in the future, since it appears that the only two sexual relationships you've had hit you hard because it was not what you thought it was. Or at least, two of the most important sexual relationships to you, ended in disaster, which might be why it's wise not to get into that sort of relationship right from the get-go. It makes things much worse when they don't work out quite right, and most relationships don't work out quite right. Just trying to help.

Anyway, I lost a love, I guess. It's complicated. Moving on is the healthiest thing. Not going to date anyone for a while though. Not sure I ever want to really marry, or get serious, either; time will tell. In a way, I suppose the experience has set me on a much, much better course in my life, even if it is poison in my veins (due to no fault of her own, it's simply the way I deal with loss; not well).

#15 Posted by Batnandez (511 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman: hahahhahahahaha

#16 Posted by Illuminatus (9509 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't be fooled. Dern's true love is a combination of lotion and his right hand.

#17 Posted by Mercy_ (92701 posts) - - Show Bio
@Illuminatus

Don't be fooled. Dern's true love is a combination of lotion and his right hand.

O_o
#18 Posted by Illuminatus (9509 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

@Illuminatus

O_o

Can I help you?

#19 Posted by ComicMan24 (147093 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus said:

LMAO

#20 Posted by TheCannon (18773 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty said:

Have you dated someone.....lost them... and wish you could have them back? Have you ever had a friend....who you wished was "more then a friend"....now you can't have them at all? Have you ever just randomly encountered someone or seen a stranger and thought " There is something special about this person".... but never got a chance to meet them?

Yes.

#21 Posted by King Saturn (224205 posts) - - Show Bio
I have had friends who I have lost in this journey of life... but my "true love"... I don't know if I have even found that yet... perhaps.
#22 Posted by Samimista (20717 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sexy Merc: That's a very sweet story Merc. It shows how the battle of hardships can be worth it at the end.

@ComicMan24 said:

@Illuminatus said:

LMAO

Lol!

#23 Posted by umbrafeline (5300 posts) - - Show Bio

yes i let her get away, but right now shes in the middle of her 2nd divorce. her and i talk on the facebook and hopefully we can re-connect with each other. we both been through some personal tragedies, but together we can be united

#24 Posted by YoungJustice (6845 posts) - - Show Bio

TYTKMTL

#25 Posted by Nefarious (20406 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never had a true love.

#26 Posted by Vortex13 (12250 posts) - - Show Bio

I've had what I'd call highschool love. Which is where you're young and overly emotional because of hormones and it's before you really understand what love is. Sometimes it turns out to be real love, but for me I've never had it. There was a girl in highschool that I dated and did care about a lot, it turned out she was gay and she actually came out to me on our last date lol. C'est la vie.

#27 Posted by Raiiyn (3523 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sexy Merc: That is the most adorable thing I have ever read. You are both so very lucky ^.^

#28 Posted by X35 (5981 posts) - - Show Bio

My true love never got away because Purps is still on here ^_^

#29 Posted by Jack the Ripper (2225 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought I did a few times but then I realized I was looking for love in the wrong changing room and now I just have to re-double my efforts to make up for lost time ^_^

#30 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

No, I regret the way some of my relationships have ended, but I never have thought my life would be better if I had stayed with one of them.

#31 Posted by Lvenger (20008 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't believe in 'true love' but 2 definitely applies to me. None of the others though. I've never admitted my feelings to several girls who I've been friends with and wanted the relationship to be more. Heck I'm still doing it with one girl I'm friends with now but have the inkling that I'd like to get closer with her. Some things never seem to change.

#32 Posted by cyberchop979 (451 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope, I married her.

#33 Posted by wildvine (9659 posts) - - Show Bio

My true love got away....forgot to lock the door...

#34 Posted by GR2Blackout (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to have a crush on this one person who had a crush on my best friend.

But I got over it.

I could get over anything as long as something good happens afterwards.

EXAMPLE: The day she moved away, I found out where my long lost stash of Super Mario video-games and my Gameboy were.

#35 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4733 posts) - - Show Bio

One person. I'll spare the sentimental nonsense.

#36 Posted by BumpyBoo (9315 posts) - - Show Bio

No, because true love is mutual. If it was true love, they wouldn't have left.

Moderator Online
#37 Posted by slacker the hacker (7839 posts) - - Show Bio

No I don't think at my age a serious relationship is possible.

#38 Posted by WarBlade539 (4582 posts) - - Show Bio

@BumpyBoo said:

I doubted the woman who sacrificed everything for me, BooBoo. ;(

#39 Posted by BumpyBoo (9315 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkazrael999 said:

@BumpyBoo said:

**hugs**

Yeah, it sucks, I know. I feel really bad for you :(

Moderator Online
#40 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4733 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkazrael999 said:

@BumpyBoo said:

This. There are so many twists and turns, variables. It's difficult to know when and where you went wrong, just that your heart stings every single day because of it.

#41 Posted by WarBlade539 (4582 posts) - - Show Bio

@BumpyBoo said:

@darkazrael999 said:

@BumpyBoo said:

**hugs**

Yeah, it sucks, I know. I feel really bad for you :(

I wanna leave everyting and become a monk. :P

#42 Posted by BumpyBoo (9315 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkazrael999: I wouldn't blame you!! I'm gonna go and live on the moon :(

Moderator Online
#43 Posted by Living_Monstrosity (428 posts) - - Show Bio

Yup. There was this one girl I dated for about four years, but then she left me and got with some guy. But it was okay because I started dating her younger sister afterward and got invited to family get togethers, which bothered the older sister that I dated for a few years. After that I got bored with the younger sister and started fooling around with the older sister again, but when she asked to move in with me I got creeped out and dumped her.

Now she's dating someone else and I wish I hadn't dumped her because she's hot and I miss her chest. It was perfect and I doubt I'll find one that nice in a long time

#44 Posted by The Stegman (24435 posts) - - Show Bio

This is ridiculous..I JUST  finished watching Chasing Amy... o.O

#45 Posted by Killer_of_trolls (1852 posts) - - Show Bio

@Living_Monstrosity: The so called "True Love' is fiction. Even if it was real, I doubt it is narrows down to "I got jealous, she got jealous, I like her boobies, but she creeps me out".

#46 Posted by Living_Monstrosity (428 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killer_of_trolls said:

@Living_Monstrosity: The so called "True Love' is fiction. Even if it was real, I doubt it is narrows down to "I got jealous, she got jealous, I like her boobies, but she creeps me out".

Love is different for different people. My scenario was how I'd define true love.

But I think the love would be the same if I was a butt man instead of a chest man.

#47 Posted by Killer_of_trolls (1852 posts) - - Show Bio

@Living_Monstrosity: I don't see how the butt/chest thing is relevant. Love is "like" strongly, just like Shut is "close" strongly. It just gotten out of context and mixed up with other stuff due to historical influences, mostly literature.

#48 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18069 posts) - - Show Bio

@BumpyBoo said:

@darkazrael999: I wouldn't blame you!! I'm gonna go and live on the moon :(

Can I come ?

#49 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@Killer_of_trolls said:

@Living_Monstrosity: I don't see how the butt/chest thing is relevant. Love is "like" strongly, just like Shut is "close" strongly. It just gotten out of context and mixed up with other stuff due to historical influences, mostly literature.

Love, nowadays, and often throughout history, is wanting your significant other to be happy, sometimes at the expense of yourself. Granted, it wasn't often done in older times, but it still occasionally happened. People also sometimes loved wanted to help the person they loved but simply couldn't because of the times they were in, so it might have looked less like what we think of as "love" and more like "strong affection/attraction", but the concept of love being self sacrifice rather than simple attraction has been around for thousands of years. What Living_Monstrosity described is lust and attraction. Strong components in love, but not the only ones. If you and your husband/wife are fine with that though, it's not for me to care or judge, just don't pretend it's something it's not. Love is more than physical attraction and pleasure. That's been true for a long, long time.

#50 Posted by Dreadmaster (16778 posts) - - Show Bio
@Sexy Merc: Crap man, this hit me deep, probably because I feel like I'm in a situation somewhat similar to this. But congrats man. Glad you are most likely gonna have a happy ending!