isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@xanni15 said:
@isaac_clarke said:

There are a few pertaining details worth mentioning - like the 100-200 $ higher price tag and being released the following year. The way it's now - I'm not expecting anything close to the same upset by the Xbox one - Sony's giving you console with less restrictions, a cheaper price and more or less the same output.

From what I have seen, Sony been telling everyone exactly what they have wanted to hear while Microsoft is laying it all out on the line. Maybe I'm just silly but I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop regarding the PS4. People are just being ridiculous with the complaining, buy whatever system you want.

I'm somewhat puzzled at this perception where Sony is either being dishonest in some fashion or there is some sort of major negative news regarding the PS4 you're expecting. Either way it's perfectly fine to be a cautious buyer of next-gen - it's just as it stands now it seems Microsoft isn't doing a good job selling it's next console.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#105  Edited By Deranged Midget

I'm somewhat puzzled at this perception where Sony is either being dishonest in some fashion or there is some sort of major negative news regarding the PS4 you're expecting. Either way it's perfectly fine to be a cautious buyer of next-gen - it's just as it stands now it seems Microsoft isn't doing a good job selling it's next console.

It is entirely fair to state that at the moment, Sony's console is far more structurally superior to Microsoft's. Although, I think it's also fair to state that somewhere down the line, anything can change for either company. Policies, prices, etc. It's not a far stretch especially considering that Sony now too, has third-party DRM policies nearly identical to that of Microsoft. There is no way of telling what may unfold in the upcoming months or years to follow.

As I stated earlier, the launch of both consoles are still months off and the true competition will be in a few years, not at launch. It is only when both competitors are nearly identical that we see them pushed beyond their limits and that's what I'm anticipating.

PartialSanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As I stated earlier, the launch of both consoles are still months off and the true competition will be in a few years, not at launch. It is only when both competitors are nearly identical that we see them pushed beyond their limits and that's what I'm anticipating.

People don't seem to understand that.

That said, and this is not directed at you DM(feelfreetochipinthough!), I have to admit I'm pretty bummed out with Microsoft right now. I was a big 360 fan, to the point where at some point in time I bought a PS3, mostly to be able to properly compare the consoles(partlybecauseofDisgaea3butshhh), but I was dissatisfied with the experience and ended up trading it in for another 360 a few months later.

I'm disappointed in their lack of concern. To be frank, I was rather appalled by the answers Don Mattrick gave in the GameTrailers interview. Public perception is really a great big deal when it comes to pushing a product, even more so in the world we live in today, where people can and do make a big deal out of things, plastering them all over the internet. I think it speaks volumes that Microsoft is going on a copyright witch hunt against the video I embedded in that post of mine from yesterday despite it being an interview from GameTrailers. I had to replace it with another copy I found, because the one I originally posted was removed due to a Microsoft copyright claim.

That all said, I understand why they're doing this, they need to protect their investments, but I have mixed feelings about all of it, I dislike it, it feels wrong - I understand the reason completely.

I understand that these are the results of piracy. This is what it has come down to, but it is truly unjust to some people. I've been reading endless comments about people complaining about the whole online issue, from all sorts, Xbox fans, PlayStation fans, and non-affiliated people. I've read about US soldiers that have been deployed to the middle of nowhere, who bust out their 360s whenever they have the chance to sit and wind down to play with each other. People who live in places with unreliable connections that suddenly drop for days at a time. People who have to go from place to place due to business and take their consoles with them and don't have the option to always have an internet connection. People who might not even be able to afford their own consoles, let alone an internet connection, but through charity or sheer luck manage to get one. Among many other kind of situations, situations that might not affect most of us.

Alienating customers, even if it is a minority of the total, should never be an option and I feel this is exactly what Microsoft is doing by putting up this check-in restriction. By extension, I feel a little alienated because Microsoft seems to be alienating others, and I think a lot of people feel the same way. Needing permission from anyone to play a game you own on a console you own is... insane, and their attitude on it all is "We don't really care." Not only that, but they are relying on the selfishness of others, in essence using them, to tell others why "it doesn't really matter."

In addition, I've been asking people at my university about their opinion on both consoles, and it was a near unanimous consensus from the poll that the majority of people who seem to be talking about it are leaning more towards the PlayStation 4. One person even told me "Buying an Xbox One would be like committing suicide.", to which I couldn't reply because I didn't understand the comparison; it sure doesn't paint a pretty picture to people's perception towards the console and the company by extension.

I really hope that Microsoft does something to change all this in the coming months, though to be honest with myself I think I'm being rather optimistic about that. If they are the ones to buckle however, they might gain back some of the respect they have lost in the past few weeks, including my own.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@kgb725: Yeah, but without contraband to super drugs

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

@isaac_clarke said:

I might be totally off base but no gaming system was without flaws yet the PS4 apparently is the first, I'm just waiting for the negatives to come out. The 360 looked awesome at first then everyone started RRODing. I agree that Microsoft isn't exactly being the best salesmen but I'd prefer them to just put everything out there and let people decide what they want. It's a great strategy for Sony to do what they're doing, basically the opposite of Microsoft.

PartialSanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By PartialSanity
@xanni15 said:

It's a great strategy for Sony to do what they're doing, basically the opposite of Microsoft.

Well, it's not like the PlayStation 4 was made after Microsoft's May conference. I wouldn't say that Sony is doing the opposite of Microsoft, I think it is more along the lines of: they are being opportunistic and throwing jabs at Microsoft any chance they get. For example:

Loading Video...

While I don't approve of anyone mocking anyone, it's understandable why they're doing this, at the very least it is not surprising.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@partialsanity: You do highlight the most major concerns, especially regarding the alienation of those with an unsuitable internet connection or armed forces who are shipped across seas who don't have a constant internet connection. If I recall correctly, they did state once before that they might have a solution or comprise for the armed forces and if that is true, my assumption would be that they have the ability to switch the "constantly connected" internet at any time they want. Whether they do that or not can only be seen through patience as there is still months left until launch and honestly, while Microsoft does seem to have held their ground, there is no telling what either company might do in the upcoming months or years after launch.

I myself have acknowledged on more than one occasion that the Playstation 4 does have the structurally superior system at the moment with a less restricted standpoint on used games, although their third party policies remain identical to Microsoft's as they leave it to publishers and developers as to what they wish to do with DRM.

This article showcases that that Microsoft is completely open to the console's evolution in a long term market, but are definitive in the short term as far as we know:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/414164/xbox-one-policy-wont-change-in-the-short-term-spencer/

This isn't limited to the Xbox One though, look at how both Xbox 360 and PS3 have changed over their life cycles. Online structures, media services, etc. It's nice that Microsoft acknowledge the concerns consumers have and almost confirm that somewhere down the line, things will change. But for now, they seem concrete with their policies.

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Win me BACK? They never had me.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#112  Edited By Aiden Cross

I found this quote on Xbox official page which worries me a little:

"Xbox One games are for activation and distribution only in specified geographic regions. See game package and/or retailer product information, for each game’s specific geographic regions."

If you can only play the game from the region you're in, it would suck. Since i tend to order games from other countries online since it's cheaper.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Deranged Midget

"Xbox One games are for activation and distribution only in specified geographic regions. See game package and/or retailer product information, for each game’s specific geographic regions."

If you can only play the game from the region you're in, it would suck. Since i tend to order games from other countries online since it's cheaper.

Yes, Xbox One is region locked for the time being.

GTG12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

PS4 for me.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget: well PS4 for me then. Seems to be more beneficial for me, though the exclusives didn't win me for any console.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

@aiden_cross said:

Yes, Xbox One is region locked for the time being.

Region lock is possibly the stupidest Idea I have ever heard from Microsoft.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aiden_cross: Nothing wrong with that! It's all preference and it is safe to say that Sony's console is currently more consumer friendly! Thanks for the honest and unbiased answer!

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram: Out of everything stated so far, I agree. It doesn't help for those who are limited in the area they live and depend on online shopping.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Aiden Cross

@deranged_midget: both consoles aren't that far apart in my opinion. Though i think for people not living in the US the PS4 holds more advantages like no region lock, the price (electronics are more expensive here), function of xbox being US focussed like Netflix (also dont have that here) etc.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Deranged Midget
Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Shawnbaby

@isaac_clarke said:

It is entirely fair to state that at the moment, Sony's console is far more structurally superior to Microsoft's. Although, I think it's also fair to state that somewhere down the line, anything can change for either company. Policies, prices, etc. It's not a far stretch especially considering that Sony now too, has third-party DRM policies nearly identical to that of Microsoft. There is no way of telling what may unfold in the upcoming months or years to follow.

That's not really accurate at all. Sony's Third Party policies regarding DRM have essentially not changed at all from the PS3. They are leaving that decision in the hands of the Publishers themselves. Really, That's no different that is has ever been regarding DRM and gaming. Unless the third party company wants to go really draconian with their software, which will cost them sales, The consumers experience with used games is not really going to change. There is no infrastructure in place to enforce DRM...so really...what it's going to come down to for the most part is "online passes"....which suck...but are better than the alternative Microsoft is forcing upon you

On the other end of the scale what Microsoft is doing is telling consumers that, regardless of who published the game, that you do not own it. All you own is a license to play that game and how you get to use that license is up to Microsoft and, to a limited extent, the Publisher. Microsoft themselves has provided that infrastructure. That's what enforces the "No Used Games" policy. That's what enforces the constant internet connectivity. Maybe that doesn't effect you personally right now. You've got a stable internet connection. You aren't interested in buying used games. You don't care that Microsoft is always able to watch what you are doing in your living room...even when you aren't using their system. But, for a lot of people, those things are real concerns.

TL; DR: There's a huge difference between Sony allowing third party developers to make their own decisions regarding DRM...and Microsoft building a DRM infrastructure directly into their console.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

C'mon bootleggers and pirates

hack that m$

Avatar image for banestrokelobogrundybatarrow
BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I WILL MURDER AND FEAST OFF OF THEIR BLOOD YOU IDIOTS WE WERE PERFECTLY HAPPY WITH THE XBOX 360!!!!!!!

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Nerx
Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Shawnbaby

@nerx said:

@banestrokelobogrundybatarrow: get their games off illegal places, don't give them a cent

hit them where it hurts ,

their wallets

Doing that only makes the situation worse really.

Don't want to support MS's new business strategy? Just don't buy the console. That sends the right message.

Pirating the games sends them the message that their DRM isn't restrictive enough. Which makes them develop even harsher DRM next time around.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Nerx

@shawnbaby

I was walking through the E3 booths

And Don Mattrick up to me and hands me the Xbone

"Connect faster, play higher" man, I'm not gunna let you cheat me

I threw it on the ground

You must think I'm a joke

I ain't gunna be part of your system

mr_ingenuity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By mr_ingenuity  Moderator

@nerx said:

I was walking through the E3 booths

And Don Mattrick up to me and hands me the Xbone

"Connect faster, play higher" man, I'm not gunna let you cheat me

I threw it on the ground

You must think I'm a joke

I ain't gunna be part of your system

Gif

No Caption Provided

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr_ingenuity:

I go to my least favorite E3 Booth

And the dude says, "You seem to like our Xbox! Here's try one for free."

I said, "Man! What do I look like? A casual gamer?"

I took it and threw it on the ground!

I don't need your console!

I'm an adult!

Please!

You can't buy me XBone, man!

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it’s called Xbox 360,” said Mattrick."

Last time I saw someone this arrogant about their product (DMC) the fan backlash was noticeable. they voted with their wallets and the estimated 5 mill turned into 1.2 or something like that.

I honestly think they must have something up their sleeve, but that quote makes it seem like they don't. What you see is what you get if you don't like it play a different console. With that being said the pre orders are doing well.

PartialSanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx said:

hack that m$

This is exactly why all these measures are being taken. Piracy is making the game industry take extreme measures. I knew a guy that set up a shop at his house where he would hack 360s for $30 and sold any game you wanted for it for $10. He made enough money to open up a proper shop under the guise of a console repair shop where he continued doing the same thing. The shop was constantly full of people. Fighting piracy countermeasures with more piracy would only lead to more countermeasures, it would be a silly way to deal with things.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx said:

hack that m$

What, for what purpose so they can say they were right and they need to add even more restrictions?

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@partialsanity: @w0nd: and their methods only makes the hackers want to do more damage, it's reverse psychology. Those bastards in their high seats thinking that they are safe merely because they shut off a few features, the pirates will come back hard. As with any microsoft product over the years.

problem is that they always package their junk, most people subscribe/buy office just to get word. Pay for one, they overcharge with other sh!t people don't need, the m$ pattern appears again in Xbone.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx said:

@partialsanity: @w0nd: and their methods only makes the hackers want to do more damage, it's reverse psychology. Those bastards in their high seats thinking that they are safe merely because they shut off a few features, the pirates will come back hard. As with any microsoft product over the years.

problem is that they always package their junk, most people subscribe/buy office just to get word. Pay for one, they overcharge with other sh!t people don't need, the m$ pattern appears again in Xbone.

yeah but remember sega had absolutely no security at all, Dreamcast was pretty much SURE you COULD burn games, we can't stop you, but we trust you won't because we were honest.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Nerx

@w0nd: All this resistance only makes them angrier

mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PartialSanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx: People will still attempt to hack both consoles regardless if one is taking more precautions than the other. Saying "one gave them a reason to by taking precautions" is simply an excuse. If the "pirates" and bootleggers really were so "heroic," they would leave one of the consoles completely alone, but everyone knows that isn't going to happen. Probably targeting the PS4 first, since due to their first-party policies being more lenient it would be the easier target of the two.

Getting angry at companies and developers that take countermeasures for a problem which they created in the first place is about the silliest thing ever and by making the situation worse, they'll be forcing these companies to take more extreme measures, which would end up screwing over another portion of the gaming community. What would they do then? Get angrier and do the same thing?

Using the whole "These companies brought this on themselves." is simply an excuse that is perpetuated only to make people feel cooler for stealing.

At least pirates used to put their lives on the line, game thieves simply operate from the comfort of their computer chairs.

Pictured: Actual Modern Day Pirates.
Pictured: Actual Modern Day Pirates.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx: And all they will do is perpetuate the cycle. Piracy is not a response to DRM. DRM is a response to Piracy. If the Game Companies stopped using DRM altogether...would piracy stop as well? Of course not. Piracy is what brought Microsoft to this extreme step. More Piracy isn't going to solve the problem.

If you don't support the X-Bone's DRM management...then don't buy the system. Boycott Microsoft...that's how you vote with your wallet. Show them you won't support their product.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By SmoothJammin

My thoughts on the matter? Well, to add to the latest crop of maddeningly humorous gifs..

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What actually differentiates the two?

I think the only let downs are that an internet connection is required, price is $100 dollars higher (which becomes a non factor when it gets that high), and no backwards compatibility. Am I missing something BIG? I'm not trying to sound like a fanboy, in fact I admitted I was in denial and angry with MS but still.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx: What's wrong with Kinect? and what's NSA? lol. Sorry I haven't kept up with the latest.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp: Microsoft having been linked to NSA who have been spying on people overseas and at home in the US/A, looking into social media illegally behind our backs.

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Chibi_cute
Avatar image for supremehyperion
SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Although PS4 came out with the "no online needed, and we don't mind if you share games" bit they didn't really have anything else that in my mind seperated themselves from Microsoft. Although i have to say that overall PS4 seems to have more momentum right now out of the gate, but we'll see. Sony was the big winner early on in the current gen if I remember. Either way, in the end they are both going to make a ton of money, hell I pre-ordered both already.

I tend not to worry about fanboy love and rage when it comes to comics and definitely when it comes to video games. These companies are not trying to sell you two versions of the same exact thing, they are two gaming consoles that are apparently being marketed to a gaming base they feel they have a good handle on.

I don't think either one is worried about making money....

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Deranged Midget

That's not really accurate at all. Sony's Third Party policies regarding DRM have essentially not changed at all from the PS3. They are leaving that decision in the hands of the Publishers themselves. Really, That's no different that is has ever been regarding DRM and gaming. Unless the third party company wants to go really draconian with their software, which will cost them sales, The consumers experience with used games is not really going to change. There is no infrastructure in place to enforce DRM...so really...what it's going to come down to for the most part is "online passes"....which suck...but are better than the alternative Microsoft is forcing upon you

On the other end of the scale what Microsoft is doing is telling consumers that, regardless of who published the game, that you do not own it. All you own is a license to play that game and how you get to use that license is up to Microsoft and, to a limited extent, the Publisher. Microsoft themselves has provided that infrastructure. That's what enforces the "No Used Games" policy. That's what enforces the constant internet connectivity. Maybe that doesn't effect you personally right now. You've got a stable internet connection. You aren't interested in buying used games. You don't care that Microsoft is always able to watch what you are doing in your living room...even when you aren't using their system. But, for a lot of people, those things are real concerns.

TL; DR: There's a huge difference between Sony allowing third party developers to make their own decisions regarding DRM...and Microsoft building a DRM infrastructure directly into their console.

Yes I know, hence why I stated nearly identical in terms of allowing publishers to complete make the decision of whether or not they utilize DRM or not. Obviously, Microsoft's current policies keep it more restricted but there's not big of a difference in terms of DRM, especially when regarding those publishers who care about saving money, hence the previous use of online passes in the past i.e Ubisoft, EA.

Microsoft's policies come most into play with the first party rather than the third as it's their where the restrictions are the most visible. More strict on terms with used games, DRM constantly utilized to my knowledge. That's the clear differentiator between Sony and Microsoft at the time being but as I stated earlier, anything could change a few years from now as Phil Spencer confirmed in an interview yesterday.

Luckily, Microsoft has been a little more lenient in terms of digital games, which is where they seem to be entirely focused for this next-gen. They allow a "family sharing" sort of deal where you can add ten members to a list that will allow them to play your entire library of games on any console with no fee required whatsoever. Phil Spencer believes that two people can play any one game concurrently (the owner of the library and one additional person), but he's isn't one hundred sure regarding that fact. Nonetheless, it's no different as to how physical lending would be so it's still a massive positive and something that has been largely under-looked in regards to the Xbox One thus far.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get exclusive Mountain DEW and Doritos from Xbox with brand new experince:

The first bag of chips in history that you can't share.

You will need a 24 hour bathroom check-in to continue eating. - DRM (dookie rights management)

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx said:

@monsterstomp: Microsoft having been linked to NSA who have been spying on people overseas and at home in the US/A, looking into social media illegally behind our backs.

So the National Security Agency? LOL. Splinter Cell fanboys.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

never had a xbox. maybe get a 360. and a wii u. damn that bayonetta 2 trailer. and a ps4.