Did Michael Jackson only sell because he was black or white?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for 7am_waking_up_in_the_morning
7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Or maybe it had nothing to do with his race or color at all because ALL COUNTRIES WERE BUYING HIS MUSIC?

0n1zuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By 0n1zuka

He sold because he was very talented, IMO. What brought this about?

Avatar image for deactivated-60d8e8271946e
deactivated-60d8e8271946e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

His sales went down when he became white.

utotheg38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By utotheg38

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning said:

Or maybe it had nothing to do with his race or color at all because ALL COUNTRIES WERE BUYING HIS MUSIC?

lol that's cute.

Are you an Integrationist?

:D

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

What is up with all these race threads?

utotheg38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By utotheg38

He stopped being black long before he died.

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CrimsonCake

No...

utotheg38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By utotheg38

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Because race Is prevalent.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9  Edited By Xanni15

I don't think it's accurate to say it had nothing to do with his race, nor was it the only reason he sold.

artgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By artgamer

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Xanni15 said:

I don't think it's accurate to say it had nothing to do with his race, nor was it the only reason he sold.

It didn't have anything to do with his race at all. It was his music and his dance that memorized the people. Almost all of China loves this guy and same goes for Japan and part of the Arab nations. Africa, Europe, Russia, and pretty much all other nations and its people.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only people that started not listen to him anymore was only the American people. In fact it was America and their prejudice that started all the controversy about him, his color and that whole molestation allegation thing.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Static Shock

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning: Is this your response to the Eminem thread?

armylife1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By armylife1124

He sold because people's morals and beliefs are not as strong if someone is talented....sad life of a talented person....

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

He sold because he's Michael Jackson.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Static Shock said:

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning: Is this your response to the Eminem thread?

Yes. They don't sell because of their color. They sell because of their styles and skill...

Here's an example:

Jay Chou: Chinese singer/rapper has sold over 175 million albums WORLD WIDE

Video of his rap style

Did Americans of black or white (or any other race) buy his albums because of his color or that he is Taiwanese? A straight answer would be no. They just like his style. But this doesn't apply to just Americans. ALL other countries and their people buy this guys albums to get it up to 175 million.

• Eminem sold only 42 million maybe because we wasn't popular to other countries whether if those countries had a majority of blacks or whites.
  • 50 Cent sold 8 million
  • Michael Jackson sold 750 million
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Static Shock

Yes. They don't sell because of their color. They sell because of their styles and skill...

Eminem disagrees with you. He said himself that if he was Black, he would sell half as much as he has already sold. His style and skill as a rapper is secondary. Michael Jackson excels in a completely different genre of music, one that more people tend to appeal to, regardless of race, culture, and upbringing. Rap tends to target one specific group or race of people. You cannot compare Michael Jackson to Eminem. The former is on a whole different level.

• Eminem sold only 42 million maybe because we wasn't popular to other countries whether if those countries had a majority of blacks or whites.
  • 50 Cent sold 8 million

Try comparing 50 Cent's U.S. sales to Eminem's. It's massively disproportionate, and it also proves Eminem's point. Hell, do the same with Worldwide sales. It's even worse in Eminem's favor.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#18  Edited By Xanni15

The only people that started not listen to him anymore was only the American people. In fact it was America and their prejudice that started all the controversy about him, his color and that whole molestation allegation thing.

Yeah, that's a complete non-issue, right?

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Static Shock

@Xanni15 said:

Yeah, that's a complete non-issue, right?

Exactly.

YoungJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By YoungJustice

You're not comicdude23............you can't make these threads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Static Shock said:

Eminem disagrees with you. He said himself that if he was Black, he would sell half as much as he has already sold. Michael Jackson excels in a completely different genre of music, one that more people tend to appeal to, regardless of race, culture, and upbringing. Rap tends to target on specific group or race of people. You cannot compare Michael Jackson to Eminem. The former is on a whole different level.

• 50 Cent sold 8 million

Try comparing 50 Cent's U.S. sales to Eminem's. It's massively disproportionate, and it also proves Eminem's point.

Not really. 50 was aiming for a different audience. Most of his music plays in dance clubs were you can't really do that with Emenem's music since most of them talk about the hardships of life. Eminem was targeting struggling people, but eventually due to the sound was picked up by both rich and poor and of every color.

And of course Eminem just like any "modest" entertainer would disagree with the popularity of themselves. I mean c'mon, did Michael Jackson brag that he was better than all other pop stars? Nope, in fact, he considered Stevie Wonder, Bruce Springsteen, and others better than he is. It's just the modest thing to do.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

He sold because he's Michael Jackson

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Static Shock

Not really. 50 was aiming for a different audience. Most of his music plays in dance clubs were you can't really do that with Emenem's music since most of them talk about the hardships of life. Eminem was targeting struggling people, but eventually due to the sound was picked up by both rich and poor and of every color.

Other than the fact that some (not most) of his music is played in dance clubs, he still only targets one particular group in his music. Just having a few songs to play in the club scene doesn't mean that much. A rapper has to put out a song that people can dance to every now and then. Like you said, Eminem was targeting those who were struggling (one group of people), but he just so happened to appeal to many others.

Neither of these artists compare to Michael Jackson because of the genre of music he excels in; he appeals to almost all kinds of people. You cannot do that with rap music, regardless of the artist.

And of course Eminem just like any "modest" entertainer would disagree with the popularity of themselves.

He stated his popularity as a rapper comes from the fact that he's White. He sells so much as a rapper because he's White. There's nothing modest about that, and he was clearly telling the truth.

Claiming other artists are better than you is a completely different issue from what I'm addressing.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By pooty

@Static Shock: He stated his popularity as a rapper comes from the fact that he's White. He sells so much as a rapper because he's White.

What facts, statistics or polls did Eminem conduct to come to such a conclusion? That sounds like an honest opinion but it is still his unproven opinion and he could be wrong. Is there any way to prove or disprove his statement?

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Static Shock

@pooty said:

What facts, statistics or polls did Eminem conduct to come to such a conclusion? That sounds like an honest opinion but it is still his unproven opinion and he could be wrong. Is there any way to prove or disprove his statement?

Yeah. I bet for the life of me that you couldn't name a Black rapper that has sold as many records as Eminem. No popular Black rapper has, and there's a select number of them that more talented than Eminem is and will ever be.

Holding a poll on such an issue would be pointless, because the subject itself is very sensitive for a lot of people, considering that the majority of his fans share his appearance. You can expect a lot of dishonest results. LOL.

Avatar image for death_certificate
Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JediXMan said:

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By pooty

@Static Shock:

Just because they are more talented does not mean they would sell more then Em even if he was black. Talent does not equal sales no matter what color you are. nevertheless, people did give Em a try because he is white. Just like they gave Vanilla Ice a try. So I agree his color helped, but i think that 50% was just a number he threw out there.

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By Inverno

@0n1zuka said:

He sold because he was very talented, IMO. What brought this about?

CODYSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CODYSF

@Death Certificate said:

@JediXMan said:

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By superstay

I see a pattern here. dO.ob

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By jhazzroucher

@comicdude23 said:

His sales went down when he became white.

that's not true. he was selling well when he was white too

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Static Shock

@pooty said:

Just because they are more talented does not mean they would sell more then Em even if he was black. Talent does not equal sales no matter what color you are.

The point is that Eminem's skin color plays a large factor in his success, on top of his talent. He knows this.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ssejllenrad

He sells cause he's bad...

(((Prodigy)))

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By (((Prodigy)))
@utotheg38 said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Because race Is prevalent.

Racism would become much less of a constantly prevalent issue if people stopped talking about race. 
Just my two cents.
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Static Shock

@(((Prodigy))) said:

Racism would become much less of a constantly prevalent issue if people stopped talking about race. Just my two cents.

Too bad billions of people on the face of this planet allow race to govern their lives.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By pooty

@Static Shock:The point is that Eminem's skin color plays a large factor in his success.

it played a part i agree. a large part as in 50%? I don't think so

He knows this.

A personal opinion is still just an opinion

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Static Shock

@pooty: I'm not sure where you got 50% from. You're the one threw that out there. I didn't give a percentage, anyway. His race is still a significant factor, nonetheless.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By danhimself

you can't draw the line straight down the middle...it's actually more of a combination of the two choices....he sold what he did because he was an extremely talented individual who transcended music labeling...but at the same time I know for a fact that there were people who won't listen to music done by a black person no matter how good it is....it shames me to say this but my parents and brother are some of those people...it honestly makes me sick listening to them sometimes because they're so quick to judge a person just based on their skin color

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Static Shock said:

@pooty said:

Yeah. I bet for the life of me that you couldn't name a Black rapper that has sold as many records as Eminem. No popular Black rapper has, and there's a select number of them that more talented than Eminem is and will ever be.

Holding a poll on such an issue would be pointless, because the subject itself is very sensitive for a lot of people, considering that the majority of his fans share his appearance. You can expect a lot of dishonest results. LOL.

Actually, well I could be wrong, but Bone Thugs In Harmony sold 50 Million albums World Wide, and that's 10 million above Eminem, so Eminem isn't the top of the top in the list of best selling american rappers. He's just one of them.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Static Shock

Actually, well I could be wrong, but Bone Thugs In Harmony sold 50 Million albums World Wide, and that's 10 million above Eminem, so Eminem isn't the top of the top in the list of best selling american rappers. He's just one of them.

Eminem sold 86 million worldwide. He beats them in a landslide, and he's a solo artist.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Static Shock said:

@(((Prodigy))) said:

Racism would become much less of a constantly prevalent issue if people stopped talking about race. Just my two cents.

Too bad billions of people on the face of this planet allow race to govern their lives.

Not really. The number one prejudice is Religion. Only Americans have the largest 'race' issue, and there are only slightly above 500 million of them, but not all 500 million have this issue and almost a 3rd of them don't care about the issue because they are either asian, latin, or of some other ethnic background or culture.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Static Shock said:

Eminem sold 86 million worldwide. He beats them in a landslide, and he's a solo artist.

Does this count bootlegs? lol

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@Static Shock said:

@(((Prodigy))) said:

Like the people who make these threads :3

Also... just my two cents. (I don't really have two cents)

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Static Shock

Does this count bootlegs? lol

No Caption Provided

terry2012

Forum Posts