This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by 7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning (3578 posts) - - Show Bio

Or maybe it had nothing to do with his race or color at all because ALL COUNTRIES WERE BUYING HIS MUSIC?

#2 Posted by 0n1zuka (3715 posts) - - Show Bio

He sold because he was very talented, IMO. What brought this about?

#3 Posted by comicdude23 (11399 posts) - - Show Bio

His sales went down when he became white.

#4 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning said:

Or maybe it had nothing to do with his race or color at all because ALL COUNTRIES WERE BUYING HIS MUSIC?

lol that's cute.

Are you an Integrationist?

:D

#5 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (2898 posts) - - Show Bio

What is up with all these race threads?

#6 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

He stopped being black long before he died.

#7 Edited by CrimsonCake (2668 posts) - - Show Bio

No...

#8 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

What is up with all these race threads?

Because race Is prevalent.

#9 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think it's accurate to say it had nothing to do with his race, nor was it the only reason he sold.

#10 Posted by ArtGamer (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

What is up with all these race threads?

#11 Posted by 7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning (3578 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15 said:

I don't think it's accurate to say it had nothing to do with his race, nor was it the only reason he sold.

It didn't have anything to do with his race at all. It was his music and his dance that memorized the people. Almost all of China loves this guy and same goes for Japan and part of the Arab nations. Africa, Europe, Russia, and pretty much all other nations and its people.

#12 Posted by 7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning (3578 posts) - - Show Bio

The only people that started not listen to him anymore was only the American people. In fact it was America and their prejudice that started all the controversy about him, his color and that whole molestation allegation thing.

#13 Posted by Static Shock (47330 posts) - - Show Bio

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning: Is this your response to the Eminem thread?

#14 Posted by ntb1124 (949 posts) - - Show Bio

He sold because people's morals and beliefs are not as strong if someone is talented....sad life of a talented person....

#15 Posted by JediXMan (29241 posts) - - Show Bio

He sold because he's Michael Jackson.

#16 Edited by 7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning (3578 posts) - - Show Bio

@Static Shock said:

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning: Is this your response to the Eminem thread?

Yes. They don't sell because of their color. They sell because of their styles and skill...

Here's an example:

Jay Chou: Chinese singer/rapper has sold over 175 million albums WORLD WIDE

Video of his rap style

Did Americans of black or white (or any other race) buy his albums because of his color or that he is Taiwanese? A straight answer would be no. They just like his style. But this doesn't apply to just Americans. ALL other countries and their people buy this guys albums to get it up to 175 million.

  • Eminem sold only 42 million maybe because we wasn't popular to other countries whether if those countries had a majority of blacks or whites.
  • 50 Cent sold 8 million
  • Michael Jackson sold 750 million
#17 Edited by Static Shock (47330 posts) - - Show Bio

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning said:

Yes. They don't sell because of their color. They sell because of their styles and skill...

Eminem disagrees with you. He said himself that if he was Black, he would sell half as much as he has already sold. His style and skill as a rapper is secondary. Michael Jackson excels in a completely different genre of music, one that more people tend to appeal to, regardless of race, culture, and upbringing. Rap tends to target one specific group or race of people. You cannot compare Michael Jackson to Eminem. The former is on a whole different level.

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning said:

  • Eminem sold only 42 million maybe because we wasn't popular to other countries whether if those countries had a majority of blacks or whites.
  • 50 Cent sold 8 million

Try comparing 50 Cent's U.S. sales to Eminem's. It's massively disproportionate, and it also proves Eminem's point. Hell, do the same with Worldwide sales. It's even worse in Eminem's favor.

#18 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning said:

The only people that started not listen to him anymore was only the American people. In fact it was America and their prejudice that started all the controversy about him, his color and that whole molestation allegation thing.

Yeah, that's a complete non-issue, right?

#19 Posted by Static Shock (47330 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15 said:

Yeah, that's a complete non-issue, right?

Exactly.

#20 Posted by YoungJustice (6639 posts) - - Show Bio

You're not comicdude23............you can't make these threads

#21 Posted by 7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning (3578 posts) - - Show Bio

@Static Shock said:

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning said:

Yes. They don't sell because of their color. They sell because of their styles and skill...

Eminem disagrees with you. He said himself that if he was Black, he would sell half as much as he has already sold. Michael Jackson excels in a completely different genre of music, one that more people tend to appeal to, regardless of race, culture, and upbringing. Rap tends to target on specific group or race of people. You cannot compare Michael Jackson to Eminem. The former is on a whole different level.

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning said:

  • Eminem sold only 42 million maybe because we wasn't popular to other countries whether if those countries had a majority of blacks or whites.
  • 50 Cent sold 8 million

Try comparing 50 Cent's U.S. sales to Eminem's. It's massively disproportionate, and it also proves Eminem's point.

Not really. 50 was aiming for a different audience. Most of his music plays in dance clubs were you can't really do that with Emenem's music since most of them talk about the hardships of life. Eminem was targeting struggling people, but eventually due to the sound was picked up by both rich and poor and of every color.

And of course Eminem just like any "modest" entertainer would disagree with the popularity of themselves. I mean c'mon, did Michael Jackson brag that he was better than all other pop stars? Nope, in fact, he considered Stevie Wonder, Bruce Springsteen, and others better than he is. It's just the modest thing to do.

#22 Posted by The Stegman (22705 posts) - - Show Bio

He sold because he's Michael Jackson

#23 Posted by Static Shock (47330 posts) - - Show Bio

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning said:

Not really. 50 was aiming for a different audience. Most of his music plays in dance clubs were you can't really do that with Emenem's music since most of them talk about the hardships of life. Eminem was targeting struggling people, but eventually due to the sound was picked up by both rich and poor and of every color.

Other than the fact that some (not most) of his music is played in dance clubs, he still only targets one particular group in his music. Just having a few songs to play in the club scene doesn't mean that much. A rapper has to put out a song that people can dance to every now and then. Like you said, Eminem was targeting those who were struggling (one group of people), but he just so happened to appeal to many others.

Neither of these artists compare to Michael Jackson because of the genre of music he excels in; he appeals to almost all kinds of people. You cannot do that with rap music, regardless of the artist.

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning said:

And of course Eminem just like any "modest" entertainer would disagree with the popularity of themselves.

He stated his popularity as a rapper comes from the fact that he's White. He sells so much as a rapper because he's White. There's nothing modest about that, and he was clearly telling the truth.

Claiming other artists are better than you is a completely different issue from what I'm addressing.

#24 Posted by pooty (10732 posts) - - Show Bio

@Static Shock: He stated his popularity as a rapper comes from the fact that he's White. He sells so much as a rapper because he's White.

What facts, statistics or polls did Eminem conduct to come to such a conclusion? That sounds like an honest opinion but it is still his unproven opinion and he could be wrong. Is there any way to prove or disprove his statement?

#25 Edited by Static Shock (47330 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty said:

What facts, statistics or polls did Eminem conduct to come to such a conclusion? That sounds like an honest opinion but it is still his unproven opinion and he could be wrong. Is there any way to prove or disprove his statement?

Yeah. I bet for the life of me that you couldn't name a Black rapper that has sold as many records as Eminem. No popular Black rapper has, and there's a select number of them that more talented than Eminem is and will ever be.

Holding a poll on such an issue would be pointless, because the subject itself is very sensitive for a lot of people, considering that the majority of his fans share his appearance. You can expect a lot of dishonest results. LOL.

#26 Posted by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

He sold because he's Michael Jackson.

#27 Edited by pooty (10732 posts) - - Show Bio

@Static Shock:

Just because they are more talented does not mean they would sell more then Em even if he was black. Talent does not equal sales no matter what color you are. nevertheless, people did give Em a try because he is white. Just like they gave Vanilla Ice a try. So I agree his color helped, but i think that 50% was just a number he threw out there.

#28 Posted by Inverno (13021 posts) - - Show Bio

@0n1zuka said:

He sold because he was very talented, IMO. What brought this about?

Online
#29 Posted by CODYSF (2053 posts) - - Show Bio

@Death Certificate said:

@JediXMan said:

He sold because he's Michael Jackson.

#30 Posted by superstay (9620 posts) - - Show Bio

I see a pattern here. dO.ob

#31 Posted by jhazzroucher (14709 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicdude23 said:

His sales went down when he became white.

that's not true. he was selling well when he was white too

Online
#32 Posted by Static Shock (47330 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty said:

Just because they are more talented does not mean they would sell more then Em even if he was black. Talent does not equal sales no matter what color you are.

The point is that Eminem's skin color plays a large factor in his success, on top of his talent. He knows this.

#33 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

He sells cause he's bad...

#34 Posted by (((Prodigy))) (2443 posts) - - Show Bio
@utotheg38 said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

What is up with all these race threads?

Because race Is prevalent.

Racism would become much less of a constantly prevalent issue if people stopped talking about race. 
Just my two cents.
#35 Posted by Static Shock (47330 posts) - - Show Bio

@(((Prodigy))) said:

Racism would become much less of a constantly prevalent issue if people stopped talking about race. Just my two cents.

Too bad billions of people on the face of this planet allow race to govern their lives.

#36 Posted by pooty (10732 posts) - - Show Bio

@Static Shock:The point is that Eminem's skin color plays a large factor in his success.

it played a part i agree. a large part as in 50%? I don't think so

He knows this.

A personal opinion is still just an opinion

#37 Posted by Static Shock (47330 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty: I'm not sure where you got 50% from. You're the one threw that out there. I didn't give a percentage, anyway. His race is still a significant factor, nonetheless.

#38 Posted by danhimself (22207 posts) - - Show Bio

you can't draw the line straight down the middle...it's actually more of a combination of the two choices....he sold what he did because he was an extremely talented individual who transcended music labeling...but at the same time I know for a fact that there were people who won't listen to music done by a black person no matter how good it is....it shames me to say this but my parents and brother are some of those people...it honestly makes me sick listening to them sometimes because they're so quick to judge a person just based on their skin color

#39 Posted by 7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning (3578 posts) - - Show Bio

@Static Shock said:

@pooty said:

What facts, statistics or polls did Eminem conduct to come to such a conclusion? That sounds like an honest opinion but it is still his unproven opinion and he could be wrong. Is there any way to prove or disprove his statement?

Yeah. I bet for the life of me that you couldn't name a Black rapper that has sold as many records as Eminem. No popular Black rapper has, and there's a select number of them that more talented than Eminem is and will ever be.

Holding a poll on such an issue would be pointless, because the subject itself is very sensitive for a lot of people, considering that the majority of his fans share his appearance. You can expect a lot of dishonest results. LOL.

Actually, well I could be wrong, but Bone Thugs In Harmony sold 50 Million albums World Wide, and that's 10 million above Eminem, so Eminem isn't the top of the top in the list of best selling american rappers. He's just one of them.

#40 Posted by Static Shock (47330 posts) - - Show Bio

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning said:

Actually, well I could be wrong, but Bone Thugs In Harmony sold 50 Million albums World Wide, and that's 10 million above Eminem, so Eminem isn't the top of the top in the list of best selling american rappers. He's just one of them.

Eminem sold 86 million worldwide. He beats them in a landslide, and he's a solo artist.

#41 Posted by 7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning (3578 posts) - - Show Bio

@Static Shock said:

@(((Prodigy))) said:

Racism would become much less of a constantly prevalent issue if people stopped talking about race. Just my two cents.

Too bad billions of people on the face of this planet allow race to govern their lives.

Not really. The number one prejudice is Religion. Only Americans have the largest 'race' issue, and there are only slightly above 500 million of them, but not all 500 million have this issue and almost a 3rd of them don't care about the issue because they are either asian, latin, or of some other ethnic background or culture.

#42 Posted by 7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning (3578 posts) - - Show Bio

@Static Shock said:

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning said:

Actually, well I could be wrong, but Bone Thugs In Harmony sold 50 Million albums World Wide, and that's 10 million above Eminem, so Eminem isn't the top of the top in the list of best selling american rappers. He's just one of them.

Eminem sold 86 million worldwide. He beats them in a landslide, and he's a solo artist.

Does this count bootlegs? lol

#43 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (2898 posts) - - Show Bio

@Static Shock said:

@(((Prodigy))) said:

Racism would become much less of a constantly prevalent issue if people stopped talking about race. Just my two cents.

Too bad billions of people on the face of this planet allow race to govern their lives.

Like the people who make these threads :3

Also... just my two cents. (I don't really have two cents)

#44 Posted by Static Shock (47330 posts) - - Show Bio

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning said:

Does this count bootlegs? lol

#45 Posted by terry2012 (4757 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15:

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning: This

#46 Posted by Strafe Prower (11887 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

He sold because he's Michael Jackson.

This

#47 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

He sold because he's Michael Jackson.

Word.

#48 Posted by Vance Astro (91052 posts) - - Show Bio

Ridiculous question...

Moderator