Did Iron-Man seem weaker in the third movie?

SpideyPresence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is it just me or did Ironman seem weaker in the third movie? I feel like his strength and abilities were downplayed.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Hmm, that's a good question. Anyone with solid Ironman knowledge?

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes his suits should've been able to rip the bad guys apart i blame this primarily on the Mk.42 cause it royally sucked i almost yelled with joy when he so casually blew it up, i've hated it since the moment it was revealed

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

Eh, he might have been a little weaker, sometimes it would vary from scene to scene, but nothing that seemed like a significant depowerment. The biggest thing was probably that the villains in the film are considerably more powerful than anything Tony had faced previously (other than Thor of course).

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Ninjablade09

The armors did seem like they did. They were destroyed in seconds by the extremis soldiers. The Mark 42 didn't seem like it could do crap, was basically worth less of an armor and the whole Its a prototype explanation is lame because all the others worked fine even the mark 5 and the mark 6 and 7 with all their features are still better than marks 9-42.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Veshark

The new armor was easily one of the most disappointing aspects of the movie. Aside from the fact that it looks hideous, it seemed pretty faulty. I was really let down that the new armor wasn't the Extremis armor of the comics - giving Tony superhuman abilities and brain operation levels. Especially after the awesome performance of the heavy-combat Mark 7 armor.

But all that being said....it did serve many plot points in the movie, so I can't complain there. And the armor had some Extremis aspects...namely the remote control and the separate plates combining. And the whole point of the movie was kinda that Tony was still Iron Man without the suit - and the lack of that I guess, is sort of the point.

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By OmgOmgWtfWtf

Tony was using a prototype during the whole movie. I believe Jarvis said in the beginning that the armor was never combat ready. Also all the Iron Men suits he had in the end were built hastily. I doubt they were comparable to the ones he used in previous movies and the Avengers. The armors were by far, much weaker than his previous incarnations. Their durability were not great at all. People say that the Extremis soldiers were super strong, but I think it was more along the lines that all of Tony's armors were prototypes. Also, no one seems to mention that they were operated by Jarvis, so were like mentally deficient in combat. I mean it's beyond me why you would not use flight to your advantage and bombard the entire area from the sky lmao.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10 the_stegman  Moderator

Well yeah, he was essentially fighting with a non combat ready prototype for the entire film.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

Yep. Apparently Tony can't make good suits anymore. It was out of character for him to have such a shitty prototype and cheapened the whole concept of Tony ever-increasing the performance of his suits. The Mark 1 was better than the Mark 42. at least Mk 1 kicked ass.

Also He's so anxious over the events in the Avengers that he has to make a heavy lifting suit? Wtf. Doesn't make any sense. He would be creating more advanced battle armors. Or how about highlighting a deep space armor and connecting it to his issues with going through a black hole (so that he could now sustain such travel) and introduce the Guardians of the Galaxy in the post credits hmm?

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Saren

It did kind of seem like his suits were getting punched through like they were made of wet paper.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

whatever, it was the best Ironman movie

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

second best, it still pales in comparison to the first.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@the_stegman: Actually Avengers was the best Iron Man movie, for anyone who doubts that remember that RDJ got paid more than the Director did for that. He got 50 million while the rest of the cast got 200 grand each and he had more screen time than any of them.

Mortium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mortium

@the_stegman: Actually Avengers was the best Iron Man movie, for anyone who doubts that remember that RDJ got paid more than the Director did for that. He got 50 million while the rest of the cast got 200 grand each and he had more screen time than any of them.

This.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

...Touche. Tony Stark and the Avengers was indeed the best.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman said:

second best, it still pales in comparison to the first.

ehh, the second one was ehh, and the first one was okay. I thought the ending fight was kinda lame.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

#19  Edited By TDK_1997

Yes he did.Through the whole home except from falling apart,his new costume didn't do any significant.I was really disappointed from the portrayal of the armors.

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

Tony was using a prototype during the whole movie. I believe Jarvis said in the beginning that the armor was never combat ready. Also all the Iron Men suits he had in the end were built hastily. I doubt they were comparable to the ones he used in previous movies and the Avengers. The armors were by far, much weaker than his previous incarnations. Their durability were not great at all. People say that the Extremis soldiers were super strong, but I think it was more along the lines that all of Tony's armors were prototypes. Also, no one seems to mention that they were operated by Jarvis, so were like mentally deficient in combat. I mean it's beyond me why you would not use flight to your advantage and bombard the entire area from the sky lmao.

Well yeah, he was essentially fighting with a non combat ready prototype for the entire film.

This.

Avatar image for betatesthighlander1
Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

really?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 the_stegman  Moderator

@joshmightbe said:

really?

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Actually, not to be nit-picky, but someone actually did the tallying for each character's screentime. Turns out Cap gets like 1 minute more than Tony :P

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@betatesthighlander1: Yup, in fact they're a bit worried that a lot of the Original cast won't come back for Avengers 2 unless Marvel cuts them a better deal.

Avatar image for betatesthighlander1
Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@betatesthighlander1: Chris Evans is the only one they know for sure is coming back for the time being.

weaponxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By weaponxx

WHAT he got paid 50 mill? That is dumb, he wasn't that much more important than the others.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By joshmightbe

@weaponx: That's why the rest of the cast is pissed.

weaponxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely seemed weak! I left the theater thinking he was a much physically weaker hero then I'd ever seen him before. All his armors were taken out very easily ( I HATE that they didn't take a couple of minutes to show the differences among the armors). Also, who knew that if you heat up the hand of War Machine the armor shuts down....

weaponxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: I didn't know anything about it. I would be pretty mad too, and that seems very unreasonable... kind of makes me like RDJ a little less.

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the inconsistent writing of the movie on top of making Tony so dependent on others did make the suit seem weaker, and even made Tony seem less intelligent.

@veshark said:

@joshmightbe said:

Actually, not to be nit-picky, but someone actually did the tallying for each character's screentime. Turns out Cap gets like 1 minute more than Tony :P

He got 41 seconds more. =P

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@weaponx: Apparently he's holding out on deciding whether or not he'll be in Avengers 2 since he's already renegotiating his contract after IM3. Basically even he knows its bulls**t and is siding with the rest of the cast. I believe Chris Evans is only guaranteed because he'd have to hire a lawyer to get out of it and no sane person chooses to get in a legal battle with Disney.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By joshmightbe

You can't really be mad at RDJ for taking the 50 mill because seriously who in their right mind would turn down a 50 million dollar check?

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35  Edited By SavageDragon

@veshark said:

The new armor was easily one of the most disappointing aspects of the movie. Aside from the fact that it looks hideous, it seemed pretty faulty. I was really let down that the new armor wasn't the Extremis armor of the comics - giving Tony superhuman abilities and brain operation levels. Especially after the awesome performance of the heavy-combat Mark 7 armor.

But all that being said....it did serve many plot points in the movie, so I can't complain there. And the armor had some Extremis aspects...namely the remote control and the separate plates combining. And the whole point of the movie was kinda that Tony was still Iron Man without the suit - and the lack of that I guess, is sort of the point.

This

agreed.

weaponxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

weaponxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By weaponxx

And I forgot, the newest armor looked pretty bad. When I first saw the concept, I thought, 'no way. they will change it. its awful.' And they didnt.

SpideyPresence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, it wasn't just his newest armor but his other models too. Those extremis guys were packing more heat than tank rounds and Thor's lightning from the Avengers and the first Iron Man movie? I find that hard to believe.

Avatar image for necrotic_lycanthrope
Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

Could it be that the reason he crapped out in the film was due to PTSD driven insomnia from the end fight in The Avengers? (although to be honest I thought it was weak to try to shove PTSD from that fight. Tony looked like the one having the least amount of mental scarring of the group, even with the "falling from grace" dimension rift.)

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I think you might have missed the entire point of the movie...

SpideyPresence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

I understood what the movie was trying to do in bringing out the human side of Ironman and show that Stark is still him with or without the suit etc. But they could of accomplished this without massively downgrading the power of his armor. Whether or not the suits aside from the mk.42 were all hastily built models is ambiguous in nature.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#42  Edited By Teerack

@spideypresence said:

@teerack said:

I understood what the movie was trying to do in bringing out the human side of Ironman and show that Stark is still him with or without the suit etc. But they could of accomplished this without massively downgrading the power of his armor. Whether or not the suits aside from the mk.42 were all hastily built models is ambiguous in nature.

Well he was also fighting people with extremis and in the comics ironman was a total push over before upgrading himself with extremis when he tried to fight the guy with extremis.

SpideyPresence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SpideyPresence

@teerack said:

@spideypresence said:

@teerack said:

Well he was also fighting people with extremis and in the comics ironman was a total push over before upgrading himself with extremis when he tried to fight the guy with extremis.

Well this is true, but Idk it just seemed like his early suits packed more power.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

It seemed that way because the Mark 42 was still in prototype phase.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@weaponx said:

@joshmightbe said:

WHAT he got paid 50 mill? That is dumb, he wasn't that much more important than the others.

RDJ had a contract stating that if there was ever an Avengers movie he would get a certain percentage of the cash it generated and since Avengers smashed all kinds of box office records his pay worked out to be 50 mill

VonBarras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was so much weaker in movie 3 because of the events of Avengers

He also should have called the Avengers to help him and given us some cameos

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2e798651249
deactivated-5b2e798651249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the third sucked to be honest. People were telling me that his IM3 armor was better than Mark VII, but it wasn't. *SPOILER WARNING* I thought it was kinda stupid that he's going toe to toe with Gods in Avengers, and all of a sudden a couple of freaking genetically modified humans are ripping his armor apart. And I was continuously disappointed by the Mark 42, which couldn't even achieve liftoff half the time and literally fell to pieces at the end. I understand that it was meant to be comic relief when it shattered accidentally while it was flying towards him, but I thought they wasted a chance at an awesome fight scene.

Oh, and I grow tired of how he can't beat the final villain on his own. Obadiah would've killed him if not for Pepper, Whiplash was tossing him around for fun at the end of IM2, and once again he needed Pepper to save him against Mandarin.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2e798651249
deactivated-5b2e798651249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@weaponx said:

Definitely seemed weak! I left the theater thinking he was a much physically weaker hero then I'd ever seen him before. All his armors were taken out very easily ( I HATE that they didn't take a couple of minutes to show the differences among the armors). Also, who knew that if you heat up the hand of War Machine the armor shuts down....

AMEN!!!! That was a huge wtf moment for me.

weaponxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By weaponxx

@logy5000: Glad I wasn't the only one!

@jonny_anonymous: Yeah, I looked that up afterwards. Thanks though. It makes more sense now, but, it would also make sense that the other actors involved do the same thing. Marvel/Disney should accept, since there making a BILLION dollars anyways. Either that, or change RDJ contract, which I've heard rumors about.

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mark 42 was a prototype and so it wasn't armed with any advanced weaponry yet (or the ability to fly) and it wasn't as strong because... well think about it. It can fly onto him, It seemed lighter. DAMMIT TONY JUST USE THE MARK 8!!!