castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By castleking
@-Vigil-

tell me more about the mormon wife thing, pls..
Ashra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Ashra

But this is supposed to be discussed from Biblical text, no?  Because in the Bible, God doesn't in any way shape or form have a wife.  The Mary Magdalene / Jesus theory is one of many ridiculous falsehoods, scripturally there is no basis for it. 
The Bible says even angels neither marry or are given in marriage, and that in heaven, neither would we.  

@joshmightbe

said:

The funny thing is that no where in the bible does it say that there is only one god in fact many places in it imply that there are more gods it just says that the God that the book is about is the most important one it was later interpretations that started saying he was the only one  

Any proof of this? Text for example. 

• "I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me." (Isaiah 45:5)
  • "This is what the LORD says--Israel's King and Redeemer, the LORD Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God." (Is. 45:6)
  • "For this is what the LORD says--he who created the heavens, he is God; he who fashioned and made the earth, he founded it; he did not create it to be empty, but formed it to be inhabited--he says: "I am the LORD, and there is no other." (Is. 45:18)
  • "Declare what is to be, present it--let them take counsel together. Who foretold this long ago, who declared it from the distant past? Was it not I, the LORD? And there is no God apart from me, a righteous God and a Savior; there is none but me." (Is. 45:21)
There are many more scriptures like that, emphasizing his unique oneness.  When the Bible speaks of other gods, it is speaking of idols and/or spirits that posed as gods.  The Judeo-Christian god is the Supreme Deity according to the Abrahamic faiths. 
castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By castleking

you seriously did not read that OP, did you? >_> 

I saw Jehovah sitting on his throne and all the host of heaven standing by him on his right.
1 Kings 22:19

God standeth in the congregation of God; He judgeth among the gods
Psalm 82:1

Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness,
Genesis 1:26

“Who is like you, O Lord, among the gods?
Exodus 15:11

Ashra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Ashra
@castleking said:

you seriously did not read that OP, did you? >_> 

I saw Jehovah sitting on his throne and all the host of heaven standing by him on his right.
1 Kings 22:19

God standeth in the congregation of God; He judgeth among the gods
Psalm 82:1

Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness,
Genesis 1:26

“Who is like you, O Lord, among the gods?
Exodus 15:11

Actually, I did.

1.  The "host" spoken of there are 'heavenly host' meaning angels.  Not other gods. 

2.  The literal interpretation is: "God standeth in the assembly of God."  (The Syriac says: "of the angels.")  It is speaking of mighty, powerful beings or magistrates.  

3.  Many people believe this is usage of "the majestic plural" or "plural of majesty".  Such as a king using "we" when speaking only of himself.  Many Jews believe he was conferring with his angels.  Others believe it is indication of the Holy Trinity, but in any case, not another god like you're suggesting.  

4.  Again, many explanations for this, one being it was speaking of the Egyptian gods who had just been laid waste and embarrassed by Yahweh (this passage of scripture was a song of praise sung by the Israelites for God delivering them out of Egypt).  In scriptures similar to this where it speaks of gods, as I mentioned before, it is speaking of false gods -- idols, not actual fellow gods. 
castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By castleking

1. i like that fact that you used the word "host" because that is a modern translation and not the original word.  >=) 
Host is used for all beings of heaven including God XP ahaha.. so the fact that you are tryin to separate it to exclude God  is a fail

2. that is what you are now told that is not actually so again in word for word translation in original scripture. 

3. sure.

4. false gods or not they were still gods regardless and God was not alone he simply said he was the supreme deity and would smash and kill other gods..

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#56  Edited By joshmightbe

If you want to get totally accurate the Bible actually mentions several other gods whom the Catholic church either removed from biblical canon or changed to demonic entities such as the God Ba'al and Asmodeus, there was even a passage where Jesus met Hades the Greek god of death after the crucifixion that again the Catholic church kept from canon    

castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By castleking

hilarious too because nowhere in the bible does the bible call the gods demons but simply gods of other lands. funny b/c today people will claim them as demons without any scriptural support. >=)
and i can name some gods that were turned into saints and angels.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#58  Edited By joshmightbe
@castleking: Originally the god of the Bible was seen only as the God of the Israelite people and had kind of sometimes peaceful co-existence with the gods of others the Romans pretty much invented the whole concept of seeing him as the only god     
castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By castleking
@joshmightbe

yup.
Ashra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Ashra
@castleking said:

1. i like that fact that you used the word "host" because that is a modern translation and not the original word.  >=)  Host is used for all beings of heaven including God XP ahaha.. so the fact that you are tryin to separate it to exclude God  is a fail 2. that is what you are now told that is not actually so again in word for word translation in original scripture.   3. sure. 4. false gods or not they were still gods regardless and God was not alone he simply said he was the supreme deity and would smash and kill other gods..

1.  Duh, and it means angels there.  It is speaking of his angels.  You're immaturity is coming through.  "Hahaha" really?  SMH.  

2.  Okay, I'll bite.  What is then?  Stop being vague and post it if it's not what it means.  I know what the Hebrew term used in that passage is.  Don't just throw out an accusation without being able to back it up.  

3.  Yeah, so basically you had no way of disputing the "facts".  

4.  A god can become anything you worship -- an idol.  Not really a being possessing divine/deity-like qualities.  When it speaks of gods it is speaking of idols, not actual multiple gods.  Scripturally, there is no teaching that other gods exist with the Supreme God, there are only false idols.  The scriptures teach one God, one Diety, named Yahweh. 
Sylver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By Sylver
@castleking: But not Biblically.  Listen, I can obviously see that you're very passionate about this theory...but if we're basing God on HIS own text, then it's proof enough (and the only true proof) that He is the ONLY God.  The writers of the books called these other idols "gods" because the readers called them that as well.  The Bible was written or people to read, so the writer put things in their vernacular.  And besides, "gods" isn't capitalized.  You will never find "gods" capitalized in the Bible because it refers to a common place object.  "gods" can also refer to things that people worship highest, not just great beings. 
And I'm sorry that your view of God is so violent and stark.  Sure He's all powerful, but that doesn't mean He's Hitler.  Too many people try to think of God in human perspectives like "what would I do if I had that power?" when we should be realizing that He's too far above us in holiness to resemble us. 
Now you have a point when there aren't verses that blankly say "demons are idols" or vice versa (and if I ever find one in my studies, I shall tell you), but they do speak of some in the same context.  Now granted, some idols were just items...nothing else.  Some demons did become involved with some idol worship though. 
Anywho, here's a verse I found on demons/idols... 

1 Cor. 10:20-21 
 No, I imply that what pagans sacrifice they offer to demons and not to God. I do not want you to be participants with demons. You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons. You cannot partake of the table of the Lord and the table of demons. 

--pagans didn't just wake up one morning and say "oh, I think I shall sacrifice to a demon today".  No, they sacrificed to idols, and some demons took advantage of that. 

1 Cor. 12:2 

You know that when you were pagans you were led astray to mute idols, however you were led.

Acts 17:22-31 

So Paul, standing in the midst of the Areopagus, said: “Men of Athens, I perceive that in every way you are very religious. For as I passed along and observed the objects of your worship, I found also an altar with this inscription, ‘To the unknown god.’ What therefore you worship as unknown, this I proclaim to you. The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man, nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything. And he made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place, ...

--I do enjoy this verse, because it brings up an excellent point: what do people know of their other "gods"?  Anything aside from God himself, any other gods, are human made.  And we certainly are too flawed to make up a pure religion. 

Psalm 115:1-18 
Not to us, O Lord, not to us, but to your name give glory, for the sake of your steadfast love and your faithfulness! Why should the nations say, “Where is their God?” Our God is in the heavens; he does all that he pleases. Their idols are silver and gold, the work of human hands. They have mouths, but do not speak; eyes, but do not see.  

Psalm 106:37 
They sacrificed their sons and their daughters to the demons 

But truly, the point of this is ridiculous (although, like I said before, it never hurts to try to learn things); no where is there a wife of God mentioned, except on pottery made by civilizations that worshipped idols.  The only truth I'll find is in the only truth there is: the Bible.  I've never found false-ness in it.  Ever.  Because it can't be found, because a perfect God wrote it. 
And it's about time people realized the insanity of trying to make God lesser, make Him come to our level...  I pity people who get so caught up in all the details of all the conspiracies and theories that they miss the truth and stark honesty of God.   
In cany case, I hope you find it.
Ashra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Ashra
@Sylver: You're explanation of the 'gods' was exactly what I was trying to say =)
And yes, if we are going by Biblical text, there is no scripture that God had a wife. 
Sylver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#63  Edited By Sylver
@Ashra: You're welcome.  :-)  I know, sometimes it's hard to get the right words out when you're just so focused on saying them at all.   
As much as I want to stand up for my faith, I hate threads like this.  All it causes is arguements and fights and inflated egos of people who can't stand to listen to others' opinions.  I'm done with it.  If anyone has any questions about my opinion, PM me. ;-)
difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By difficlus

No God did not have a wife. 

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By King_Saturn
@difficlus said:
From a Biblical Perspective you are Correct... the early Canaanite Beliefs have other ideas of God having a Wife... though it makes you wonder since the Canaanites thought Yahweh and El Elyon were separate deities... and somehow Asherah was the wife of Yahweh as well as El Elyon... ( it depending on the city you went to and their beliefs )... it's that fact of the old days that would make you wonder if they really had a straight story about what they believed... and there are plenty of Canaanite Gods... obviously its not a Biblical Perspective of things... but it's still fun to read and know about... IMO
difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By difficlus
@King Saturn said:
@difficlus said:
From a Biblical Perspective you are Correct... the early Canaanite Beliefs have other ideas of God having a Wife... though it makes you wonder since the Canaanites thought Yahweh and El Elyon were separate deities... and somehow Asherah was the wife of Yahweh as well as El Elyon... ( it depending on the city you went to and their beliefs )... it's that fact of the old days that would make you wonder if they really had a straight story about what they believed... and there are plenty of Canaanite Gods... obviously its not a Biblical Perspective of things... but it's still fun to read and know about... IMO
Do you have a masters in theology or something? lol
Well ok interesting stuff. I want to add my own:  joshmightbe said the bible does not say god is the only god . 
This is false as  he says that other 'gods' are made by human minds and hands and are not real. He states clearly there is only 1 true powerful god with any capacity to do anything.    
As for a wife, the concept of marriage itself was INVENTED by God for humans, he created it. 
agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#67  Edited By agent9149

it depends on the version of god you are referring to, if you refer to the present-day judeo-christian god then no

castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By castleking
@agent9149 said:
it depends on the version of god you are referring to, if you refer to the present-day judeo-christian god then no
what about the original ancient version of God?
PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#69  Edited By PowerHerc

@-Vigil- said:

I'm Christian, and I believe that God (and Christ, who I believe is a separate person) is indeed married.

Where in the bible, or anywhere else, is it stated that God/Jesus is married?

Who do you contend God is married to?

castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By castleking
PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By PowerHerc
castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By castleking
@PowerHerc

the hell if i know.. i am more worried about the polygamy aspect of it.  = )
Ashra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Ashra
@PowerHerc said:

So does this mean they are his wife or is he their's?

Neither.  It is symbolic.  The same way it is symbolic when the scripture says that The Church is the bride of Christ, and why His return is sometimes called:  'The Marriage Supper of the Lamb'.  
Because He would come and join his church or bride to himself like a bridegroom would his bride.   It (marriage) implies relationship, purity, and intimacy.  Which, is why in the Old Testament, God often said Israel had committed whoredom and idolatry, because they were worshiping/adoring other gods.  Similar to a wife cheating on her husband, they were "cheating" on God.  It's not a REAL marriage.  

Old Testament:

"The beginning of the word of the LORD by Hosea. And the LORD said to Hosea, Go, take unto thee a wife of whoredoms and children of whoredoms: for the land hath committed great whoredom, departing from the LORD." (Hosea 1:2)

"I have seen thine adulteries, and thy neighings, the lewdness of thy whoredom, and thine abominations on the hills in the fields. Woe unto thee, O Jerusalem! wilt thou not be made clean? when shall it once be?" (Jeremiah 13:27)

"And it came to pass through the lightness of her whoredom, that she defiled the land, and committed adultery with stones and with stocks [idols]." (Jeremiah 3:9)

New Testament:

"Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.  For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.   Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.  For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:  For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.  For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.  This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church." (Ephesians 5:22-32)

And those are just a few examples. Yahweh NEVER had a literal wife from a Biblical standpoint. 
Richter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Richter
@InnerVenom123 said:
Cthulhu.
Agreed.
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By King_Saturn
@difficlus said:
@King Saturn said:
@difficlus said:
Do you have a masters in theology or something? lolWell ok interesting stuff. I want to add my own:  joshmightbe said the bible does not say god is the only god . This is false as  he says that other 'gods' are made by human minds and hands and are not real. He states clearly there is only 1 true powerful god with any capacity to do anything.    As for a wife, the concept of marriage itself was INVENTED by God for humans, he created it. 
hmmmm... good points 
though I do not think the deity known as Ba'al in the Old Testament was simply a Hand Made or Human Made Deity... I think it was some type of lower deity that existed that was Pwned by Yahweh in the Bible... though it could have been human invented... 
PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By PowerHerc

@Ashra: So if it's all symbolic; then what is the answer? Soes God actually have a wife or not?

Ashra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Ashra
@PowerHerc said:

@Ashra: So if it's all symbolic; then what is the answer? Soes God actually have a wife or not?

No, scripturally, he never, ever had a wife.  

@angeldust616 said:   
I found it funny... Then again I am a godless heathen :P
I get the joke, but still, no sextook place for the conception of Jesus, so ...............
realsilverjunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By realsilverjunk

Jesus, this world is like a cereal bowl. full of Nuts, flakes, and fruits. There is only one God. I've talked to him and his servants. 

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By King_Saturn
@realsilverjunk said:
Jesus, this world is like a cereal bowl. full of Nuts, flakes, and fruits. There is only one God. I've talked to him and his servants. 
from a Biblical Perspective you are correct... but again... this taking into account the early Canaanite Religion and what they believed about Yahweh and the other Gods they had El Elyon, Asherah, Mot, Baal' and so on... granted to you it's nothing but hogwash... but it's still interesting to hear about their perspective from their early writings and carvings even if you do not believe them to be direct truth... 
cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 15

#81  Edited By cosmo111687

No, he's married to his work.