• 80 results
Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio

Just like the title asks, Does God have a wife?

We know that in the bible it states that God is the supreme Deity with aspects of itself separate and connected the Holy Spirit and the Son an odd concept of Monotheism but let's take it as is. The Bible is often looked at by followers as historical truth and word of God but if we look at it as any other legend, literature, and history written by man can we find evidence that shows God that he is not unique and alone but is part of an ancient polytheistic pantheon  through actual archeological evidence.

We have heard of Ba'al in the bible but most are not aware that in ancient times Ba'al was not just a god of another pantheon but that he himself was not a supreme deity but was below another Supreme God and father of the gods, El of the Ugaritic pantheon,

Now if El sounds familiar it is because El is the name for God, in Hebrew it is El who freed the Israelites from Egypt the name is not simply used as a title but as a deity's name. So if we use the bible to study the middle east and the cultures of that time we are pointed toward certain archeological evidence that shows God as being a Canaanite god, one among many but at the apex of the pantheon.

it's similarities  shows that God was not alone  and not truly monotheistic  as can be shown in these quotes:

I saw Jehovah sitting on his throne and all the host of heaven standing by him on his right.
1 Kings 22:19

God standeth in the congregation of God; He judgeth among the gods
Psalm 82:1

Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness,
Genesis 1:26

“Who is like you, O Lord, among the gods?
Exodus 15:11

The bible explicitly states that Israel had it's own divine council and pantheon of gods and was polytheistic  and if we take all this into account with what we find archeologically and historically from cultures like the Canaanites we see similarities. Now there are Rabbi's who acknowledge God of the Judeo Religion is not alone and that God has his intermediaries that God hold's council with, so why cannot these beings be gods themselves?

I ask these questions in order to cement the argument that God was not just alone without peers but that he had a wife, named, Asherah.  Her name appears over 40 times in the bible yet oddly enough never mention in any sermon or bible reading. Asherah's name can be found as part of the Ugaritic pantheon, wife to El his counterpart so now using the bible and archeological evidence we can begin to connect the tots of who Asherah is mentioned in the bible which seem to be purposely put out of context making people guess at what Asherah could be. 

Is God, El, a Cananite God? 
Is the Bible not Monotheistic but actually polytheistic?
Was there purposely mistranslation of Hebrew and Christian religion to hide Asherah turning her name from Asherah to Host?
What would it mean to have Asherah's name appear next to Yahweh in hebrew?

This only makes since if you know the subject i am talking about and the references i am making.
#1 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Cthulhu.

#2 Posted by -Vigil- (380 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm Christian, and I believe that God (and Christ, who I believe is a separate person) is indeed married.

#3 Posted by The Stegman (23066 posts) - - Show Bio

....Hera?

#4 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by progenitor (7532 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess he could if he willed it.  That would be one hell of a divorce, though, no pun intended.
#6 Posted by texasdeathmatch (13171 posts) - - Show Bio

So God was a lesbian? :P

#7 Posted by King Saturn (223816 posts) - - Show Bio
Well according to Canaanite Belief... Asherah was the Wife of Yahweh... though it was also said that Asherah was the Wife of El Elyon as well... so that causes some confusion since the Canaanites saw El Elyon and Yahweh as two separate deities... 
#8 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio
@texasdeathmatch

Actually this might be a blow for women if El is the Canaanite god since some think that God could be and think of God as a  woman.
#9 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Saturn

is anyone else massively confused by the continuity hiccups and the retcons?
#10 Posted by King Saturn (223816 posts) - - Show Bio
@castleking said:
@King Saturn:   is anyone else massively confused by the continuity hiccups and the retcons?
I am sure back then it was very confusing... since you had Polytheism as the major Religious Belief back then... there were so many different Gods... and then the Bible has Yahweh basically PWNED the deity Baal' and yet in Caananite Belief he was a deity who was within the Divine Family of Gods with Yahweh... so something happened there too I think... 
#11 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio
@castleking:  

#12 Posted by King Saturn (223816 posts) - - Show Bio
@cyberninja said:
@castleking:  

wow... sort of surprised to see you post this... 
#13 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Saturn said:
@castleking said:
@King Saturn:   is anyone else massively confused by the continuity hiccups and the retcons?
I am sure back then it was very confusing... since you had Polytheism as the major Religious Belief back then... there were so many different Gods... and then the Bible has Yahweh basically PWNED the deity Baal' and yet in Caananite Belief he was a deity who was within the Divine Family of Gods with Yahweh... so something happened there too I think... 
maybe a BBQ fight like the ones we have in  my family but instead it is at an altar over a sacrifice/ burnt offering
#14 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Saturn: Why? 
#15 Posted by King Saturn (223816 posts) - - Show Bio
@castleking said:
@King Saturn said:
@castleking said:
maybe a BBQ fight like the ones we have in  my family but instead it is at an altar over a sacrifice/ burnt offering
ha ha... perhaps
#16 Posted by King Saturn (223816 posts) - - Show Bio
@cyberninja said:
@King Saturn: Why? 
I don't know... I did not see you as the type to take those type of jabs at Religion perhaps... 
#17 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio

i really want to hear from the judeo/christian perspective about this...

#18 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Saturn: Ok now you are just making me feel bad. Come to think of it even though I was on topic, may be that was little too much, which is why I say, I'm sorry. 
#19 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27083 posts) - - Show Bio

Dunno about God, but did they not try to say that Jesus married Mary Magdalene or something?

Or was that just the Da Vinci Code...

#20 Posted by King Saturn (223816 posts) - - Show Bio
@cyberninja said:
@King Saturn: Ok now you are just making me feel bad. Come to think of it even though I was on topic, may be that was little too much, which is why I say, I'm sorry. 
it really is not that big of a deal... much worse things have been said and posted about God... 
#21 Posted by King Saturn (223816 posts) - - Show Bio
@.Mistress Redhead. said:

Dunno about God, but did they not try to say that Jesus married Mary Magdalene or something?

yeah... that story has been around for a while as well... 
#22 Posted by texasdeathmatch (13171 posts) - - Show Bio

Da Vinci Code is based on a true story, duh.
#23 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27083 posts) - - Show Bio

@King Saturn said:

yeah... that story has been around for a while as well...

Don't really see the big deal about either..

#24 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27083 posts) - - Show Bio

@texasdeathmatch said:

Da Vinci Code is based on a true story, duh.

#25 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Saturn said:
@cyberninja said:
it really is not that big of a deal... much worse things have been said and posted about God... 
I would never go that far, I respect everyone's religion. I thought that image was funny at the time ( no one is perfect) I guess it was immature on my part to post that image, now I feel even worst for posting that. I hope there is no hard feelings. 
#26 Posted by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio

God, Jesus, and The Holy Spirit are all One. Here comes the hateful and snide remarks. God is married, in essence, to those who believe. All I will say and if you don't like what I am saying please don't disrespect me with hateful comments.

#27 Posted by King Saturn (223816 posts) - - Show Bio
@cyberninja said:
@King Saturn said:
@cyberninja said:
I would never go that far, I respect everyone's religion. I thought that image was funny at the time ( no one is perfect) I guess it was immature on my part to post that image, now I feel even worst for posting that. I hope there is no hard feelings. 
you really did not go that far dude... if anyone is heavily offended by that image... then they have very thin skin... and probably don't belong on the boards in the first place... 
#28 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decept-O said:

God, Jesus, and The Holy Spirit are all One. Here comes the hateful and snide remarks. God is married, in essence, to those who believe. All I will say and if you don't like what I am saying please don't disrespect me with hateful comments.

did you watch the video clip that i posted?
#29 Posted by King Saturn (223816 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decept-O said:

Well I don't have a hateful remake... but I was wondering since The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit are all One... can a Man say God save Me... and would all three act on behalf to save him if they are all One ? or does a Man have to acknowledge The Father and The Son separately for God to fully step in ?  
#30 Posted by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio

@castleking: No. Nothing personal but I won't. If that makes me "narrow minded" then I am narrow minded. All I know is that God's real name has not been revealed but He is known as the Redeemer, The Lord Almighty, The Savior, The Lamb. God is Jesus and The Holy Spirit and the Holy Trinity, and it is a concept some have a hard time understanding.

I realize there are other beliefs and religions and am not here to slam anybody for anything for any reason. Just stating what I know.

This subject is too rife with people who will be smart asses and the like and I am not strong enough to deal with it all. Maybe someone else can and I ask you take it up with them, just wanted to say this much and that is it.

#31 Posted by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio

@King Saturn: I really didn't want to go this route. I will say this much regarding what I know and I think I know what you are trying to say and do. God is everything. The only way to Salvation is through Jesus Christ. Simply recognize Him in your heart and ask Him into your life. I am not preaching, just stating what I know. I realize you will counter why is God a man or something to that degree. God is not a man. Man is man, based on God's design. God was a Man made perfect in His vision when he created His son, but as the Christian faith teaches, Jesus gave up His perfection when he was killed. Jesus was a man, yes, but a man far more human than human.

#32 Posted by King Saturn (223816 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decept-O said:

@King Saturn: I really didn't want to go this route. I will say this much regarding what I know and I think I know what you are trying to say and do. God is everything. The only way to Salvation is through Jesus Christ. Simply recognize Him in your heart and ask Him into your life. I am not preaching, just stating what I know. I realize you will counter why is God a man or something to that degree. God is not a man. Man is man, based on God's design. God was a Man made perfect in His vision when he created His son, but as the Christian faith teaches, Jesus gave up His perfection when he was killed. Jesus was a man, yes, but a man far more human than human.

actually I had no intentions of countering much of your response at all... I was just curious as to how you felt about Salvation based on your explanation of The Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit being One... I was thinking perhaps since this is so... can one ask for Yahweh to save them... and could Salvation come that way ? 
#33 Posted by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio

@King Saturn: I don't recognize any of the other names used for Jesus. Maybe they are applicable but I am stuck with English and Spanish for nomenclature. I only recognize Jesus or the Spanish pronunciation. OK, you have been respectful to me which I appreciate and I am asking for just a little more by stating I am done with this subject and hoping others will not direct comments towards me regarding this topic. I am not a theologian just a short fat ugly dude who believes in Jesus despite my faults and behaviors. I know I have to "defend" myself and I suspect perhaps some W Media Staff might make some comments somewhere down the road as well, but this is all I will say and ask to be left alone about it thank you.

#34 Posted by King Saturn (223816 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decept-O said:

@King Saturn: I don't recognize any of the other names used for Jesus. Maybe they are applicable but I am stuck with English and Spanish for nomenclature. I only recognize Jesus or the Spanish pronunciation. OK, you have been respectful to me which I appreciate and I am asking for just a little more by stating I am done with this subject and hoping others will not direct comments towards me regarding this topic. I am not a theologian just a short fat ugly dude who believes in Jesus despite my faults and behaviors. I know I have to "defend" myself and I suspect perhaps some W Media Staff might make some comments somewhere down the road as well, but this is all I will say and ask to be left alone about it thank you.

alright fair enough... 
#35 Posted by Pr_Beyonder (2440 posts) - - Show Bio

As the vines local omnipotent being, I just have to say our sexual abilities are divine. 
(The pun was my intention.)
#36 Posted by Kastiel (8919 posts) - - Show Bio
The ancient Israelites worshiped many gods. The Old Testament says this many times. Just because they worshiped Asherah along side him does not make her his wife. Some Israelites at that may have believed otherwise but they had made many mistakes before.
#37 Edited by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio

they didnt just worship her alongside him but that El was actually part of an older pantheon long before the isrealites came into the land and took El as their one and only God from that specific Pantheon..

#38 Posted by ARMIV (4140 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't Mormon's believe he is married? 
But no, there's been nothing to say he's married.

#39 Edited by Ashra (674 posts) - - Show Bio

The Canaanite counter-part to the Judeo-Christian god Yahweh, to my knowledge, has never been unequivocally confirmed.  I've read that there may have been an earlier Canaanite counterpart, but it's not confirmed.

Secondly, I don't believe, personally, that the Bible teaches a "Trinity'.  3 gods in one is a pagan idea seen in several other religions.  In scripture, there is one God who manifest himself in 3 different modes or forms.  Jesus or Jehosuah, would be that God (The Father) manifest in the flesh.  There are no 'persons' of the Trinity.  When He (Jesus) speaks of He and His father separately in the scriptures, he is speaking a man as He had a dual nature.  He was the 'God-man'.  Sometimes He spoke "as a god" so to speak, and sometimes He spoke as man as He was the example for his followers and lowered himself as a humble servant.  (A good book to read on this would be:  The Oneness of God and The Oneness of Jesus Christ both by Dr. David K. Bernard)  He is One-In-Three, not Three-In-One.  Jesus is not in the godhead, but he is the godhead bodily (manifest). 

I don't believe the scriptures teach that God or Yahweh had a wife.  Asherah was a pagan female deity that was worshiped in that time, but not God's wife.  
And when the scriptures speak of 'other gods' it is speaking of false idols.  Anything can be a god without actually being a true god.  

Oh, and the DaVinci Code was bull.  The Jesus of the Bible was never married. 

#40 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio
@ARMIV said:
Don't Mormon's believe he is married?  But no, there's been nothing to say he's married.
other then archeological evidence of  Canaanite religion. <_<
clay pots, figurines, scripture.. hmm...
#41 Posted by Ashra (674 posts) - - Show Bio
@castleking said:
@ARMIV said:
Don't Mormon's believe he is married?  But no, there's been nothing to say he's married.
other then archeological evidence of  Canaanite religion. <_< clay pots, figurines, scripture.. hmm...
Have any links or pictures you could share?  I'm just curious because I love theology and the like. 
#42 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio
Asherah Google

unless you read Hebrew and old cuneiform, i dont think it will be much use of seeing references in the original form of Canaanite religion and hebrew old testament stuff.
#43 Posted by Sylver (1554 posts) - - Show Bio

I had to do a study on the person of God once, for a school project.  I believe, from what I've read and know, that God is the only God.  One deity w/ three persons (or 3 sides in one).  There is no wife.  There is no second-place God.  Just one. Those Scripture references you put up that are from another's point of view are the authors being given a vision from God.  They're just men...normal men.  Usually at the beginning of the chapter w/ the vision, they say that they're having one, or at the beginning of the book. 
Although I respect these different studies and opinions on God, as no one truely knows everything about Him and it's interesting to see what different texts and historical studies find, I think that people today are trying to make God more complicated than necessary.  Or rather, they try to create a study and frame-work of Him that we can bring down to our level.  I can understand using analogies for understanding purposes, but constantly creating new "conspiracies" to try to make Him "lesser" is unnecessary.
#44 Posted by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio

this is looking at a culture, pots, myth and history and finding out that God was actually part of a Pantheon predating the Hebrew beliefs. it is hardly conspiracies.

it's like looking at a microscope to look at bacteria and someone saying. yeh, that's nice view of what you think it is but it is really demons that make you sick.  *smh*

#45 Posted by joshmightbe (24606 posts) - - Show Bio

The funny thing is that no where in the bible does it say that there is only one god in fact many places in it imply that there are more gods it just says that the God that the book is about is the most important one it was later interpretations that started saying he was the only one 

#46 Edited by -Vigil- (380 posts) - - Show Bio
@ARMIV said:

Don't Mormon's believe he is married? 

Yup. See the third post in this thread. Nice to have something true said about my religion.

@cyberninja

said:

Thanks for apologizing! The (relatively) respectful community is one of the things I love about this site.

@castleking

said:

i really want to hear from the judeo/christian perspective about this...

I already gave my two cents.

@.Mistress Redhead.

said:

Not a big fan of The Da Vinci Code, but as for the Jesus-marrying-Mary Magdalene part, I don't see why not.
#47 Posted by King Saturn (223816 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
The funny thing is that no where in the bible does it say that there is only one god in fact many places in it imply that there are more gods it just says that the God that the book is about is the most important one it was later interpretations that started saying he was the only one 
in some ways you are very right... especially based on some of the passages taken from the Dead Sea Scrolls... 
#48 Posted by -Vigil- (380 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Saturn said:
you really did not go that far dude... if anyone is heavily offended by that image... then they have very thin skin... and probably don't belong on the boards in the first place... 
I've heard this type of thing before online, but in my opinion, it is better for us to encourage others to be respectful than it is to send the message that easily-offended people have no place among us savages.

@castleking said:
Ooh! Me! The problem is (aside from accidental mistranslations and misunderstandings) that many self-proclaimed "holy men" have gone through the Bible and other scripture, cutting out or changing anything they didn't agree with.
#49 Posted by hydrabob (14977 posts) - - Show Bio

Religion....Again......Awesome......

#50 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio
@-Vigil-: alrighty then