#1 Posted by Pfcoolio14 (973 posts) - - Show Bio

I know it seems far fetched but it looks possible. And come on, with the crazy things going on today whose to say it isn't possible. They're explanation sure made it look like it did. With dolphins and whales and what not it looked cool. And they provided a lot of evidence. What do you think?

#2 Posted by blackadamFTW (7867 posts) - - Show Bio

I watched one of the Discovery Channel, and it was more of a comedy than a documentary. So stupid...

#3 Posted by ColonelRunAway (369 posts) - - Show Bio

I know it seems far fetched but it looks possible.

No. It is literally not possible. Animal Planet has gone on record stating that it was entirely fictionalized, and any brief research pulls up that all of the "scientists" are actors, some of whom have had small roles in major movies and TV shows like 24 and Dredd.

Further, the only vaguely scientific source cited in the entire program is the Aquatic Ape Hypothesis, which is rejected by virtually every major paleoanthropologist on the grounds that it ignores blatant fossil evidence, along with several logical fallacies. And that's just for proposing that apes once lived on land and in water simultaneously, like a turtle. Taking AAH to the mermaid extreme defies common sense. Just look at these poor bastards:

*Under what possible circumstances could an ape-like species be forced to lose the legs they'd been developing for countless millennia, so they could be replaced by dolphin-like tails and skin that had developed on a completely different branch of the evolutionary tree?

*What possible use could any creature that navigates entirely by swimming have for long, elbowed arms, with no fins save for some webbed vestigial fingers that would probably be incapable of manipulating any tools, even on the slim to none chance they ever did find have the necessity and materials to build so much as a club or spear?

*How could they ever survive in such a predatory environment with heads that could barely fit a whole fish in their narrow mouths, and would require the neck bent up uncomfortably JUST to see forward while swimming, and then constantly turning to look for sharks and such?

*How could such a small chest contain a stomach, heart, or set of lungs powerful enough to constantly flap that massive tail, even if the aforementioned tiny mouth could get enough food and oxygen to them in time?

*With seemingly no blubber, how could they endure shifts in pressure while hunting for food?

I'm sure there's more problems a legitimate marine biologist could spot in an instant. Point is, even if you could maybe, MAYBE genetically engineer something like this, there's absolutely no environment on Earth where it wouldn't be hilariously f***ed.

#4 Posted by danhimself (21904 posts) - - Show Bio

yes and despite how ridiculous it was it made me even more scared of the ocean and I already had an irrational fear of the ocean to begin with

#5 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7118 posts) - - Show Bio

Haha yeah. I was laughing the whole time. Good stuff.

#6 Posted by SC (11962 posts) - - Show Bio

Its actually a repeat showing and this incidentally is a repeat thread since we did have a thread exactly like this about a year ago discussing (I believe the same show) and yeah no its actually taking the mickey really, they should maybe make that clearer. So its not really a documentary since usually that implies documenting reality... not made up stuff.

#7 Posted by russellmania77 (13624 posts) - - Show Bio

no but i watched the little mermaid on disney

#8 Edited by Pfcoolio14 (973 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonelrunaway:

Well what if they didn't necessarily look like that

And also, isn't it proved that whales used to be land mammals as well as dolphins

And don't seals and manatees and the such have bendable necks

The cgi probably wasn't a realistic representation

And I guess we can talk a little about the Moken people

#9 Edited by Pfcoolio14 (973 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonelrunaway:

And also, don't we know little about the ocean

Like less than the surface of the moon

#10 Posted by ColonelRunAway (369 posts) - - Show Bio

Well what if they didn't necessarily look like that

Those are some of the more plausible designs. Virtually anything that could reasonably be called a real mermaid, "human from the waist up, fish from the waist down" and all that, is going to run into the same problems. If the folks proposing a dumb hypothesis can't provide a design for their hypothesis that isn't dumb, then that's their problem isn't it?

And also, isn't it proved that whales used to be land mammals as well as dolphins

Primitive ones, vaguely deer-like, but not much bigger than a cat. And in the time it took them to adapt to full-time sea dwellers, they lost nearly all of those traits. Sure, plenty of animals have vestigial organs left over from previous forms. But there's a difference between how we still have toes that aren't of much use and how these mermaids have limbs which would actively impede their survival.

And besides, that process took the whales almost 50 million years. The apes have only been around for about 20 million.

And don't seals and manatees and the such have bendable necks

Which are designed to face in the direction they swim in by default. Just like how a cat or dog has a horizontal spine, so forward for their head is up for a human head on a vertical spine. These mermaids have humanoid, vertical necks on tails that are designed for a horizontal body, and would thus have to look up just to see forward.

And I guess we can talk a little about the Moken people

Who are still just humans. Their eyes developing slightly differently from long term increased exposure to water is no different than races developing different shades of skin, hair and whatnot from different levels of sun exposure. In the time it would take their legs to turn to tails, it's doubtful there would be any modern humans left.

The fact that there are large unexplored chunks of it doesn't mean we can go around assuming there's something living in there that contradicts things we do know about life. We've never explored the inside of the sun either, but you don't see any documentaries talking about how it might be populated by chickens.

#11 Edited by M3th (1775 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly don't understand why Discovery Channel or History Channel make fictional episodes.

#12 Posted by Wolfrazer (4976 posts) - - Show Bio

@m3th said:

I honestly don't understand why Discovery Channel or History Channel make fictional episodes.

Cause fiction is more interesting then reality? :P

#13 Posted by ARMIV2 (7686 posts) - - Show Bio

If "watched" can also mean "ripped into mercilessly and hilariously", then we watched the crap out of it.

#14 Edited by SavageDragon (2166 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL which I watched this.

#15 Edited by turoksonofstone (13194 posts) - - Show Bio

It was cool but the end was goofy.

#16 Edited by JediXMan (27989 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it like that weird dragon documentary that explained the mating ritual and later showed the "last dragon" getting killed by humans?

#17 Posted by Aiden Cross (15513 posts) - - Show Bio

I watched the Little Mermaid.... shaddap, It's real. They all sprouted legs by magical potions. And that's how we got redheads in the world.

#18 Posted by Telcalipoca (956 posts) - - Show Bio

is this a thing now?making fake documentaries?

#19 Posted by JediXMan (27989 posts) - - Show Bio

is this a thing now?making fake documentaries?

Been happening for years.

#20 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (17009 posts) - - Show Bio

They should start making comedies. Right now.

#21 Edited by Sideslash (5906 posts) - - Show Bio

The fact that there are large unexplored chunks of it doesn't mean we can go around assuming there's something living in there that contradicts things we do know about life. We've never explored the inside of the sun either, but you don't see any documentaries talking about how it might be populated by chickens.

And why aren't there? People need to know about the Sun chickens!

#22 Posted by BumpyBoo (7215 posts) - - Show Bio

Mermaid documentary? Isn't that an oxymoron, like "quite unique" or "healthy corpse"? O_o

#23 Posted by ragdollpurps (15570 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo said:

Mermaid documentary? Isn't that an oxymoron, like "quite unique" or "healthy corpse"? O_o

In the US quite actually means the opposite of what it does in the UK. Here 'quite pretty' means very pretty, as opposed to slightly pretty.

#24 Posted by BumpyBoo (7215 posts) - - Show Bio

@ragdollpurps:

That's funny, I have always used it to mean very. Looking back...that explains a lot of conversations hehe, everyone else must have meant slightly. Ooops! XD

#25 Edited by laflux (11085 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo said:

In the US quite actually means the opposite of what it does in the UK. Here 'quite pretty' means very pretty, as opposed to slightly pretty.

So what do people refer to you as :P

Also general point, Discovery channel spouts alot of rubbish for a documentary channel

@bumpyboo said:

Oh wait, lemme have a go, oh please I have one. Sane Capfanboy :D

#26 Edited by Cap10nate (1885 posts) - - Show Bio

#27 Posted by AweSam (7110 posts) - - Show Bio

Obviously mermaids are real. So are leprechauns and Eskimos. Also, the government's being controlled by lizards and aliens who abduct cows. Also, we were all magically created by an invisible sky-fairy.

#28 Posted by frogdog (2998 posts) - - Show Bio

#29 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29331 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonelrunaway said:

#30 Posted by ColonelRunAway (369 posts) - - Show Bio

@sideslash said:

@colonelrunaway said:

Well, it does explain away all those stupid "theories" like gravity. Clearly objects are just drawn through space to that McNuggety smell.

#31 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't even...

CV never fails to surprise me.

#32 Posted by wildvine (7149 posts) - - Show Bio

I did.