Dexter series finale (Spoilers, obviously)

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What did you guys think of the finale? I'm still sitting on whether or not it was utter crap or surprisingly decent....

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Nah man it was flat. Felt like they (the creators) didnt put any thought into it and were taken by surprise that it was the end of the series. Even Dexter's final kill was the laziest kill he's ever done. Deb dying was sadly predictable. It was sloppy, underwhelming, and held no emotional investment. Highly disappointing.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Posting via phone so I can't elaborate but my feeling is essentially "meh."

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

I thought the episode was good up until the ending. The idea was good but the ending killed it. They could have done so much more.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

It felt a little rushed. But I had that feeling all season.

Its ok though. Still one of the most awesome TV series ever (even if the first 4 seasons were way better than the last 4)

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gambler:

Yeah, I definitely agree with you. Saxon's death was such a letdown. In many ways they set him up to be the perfect serial killer, what Dexter would be had he not had the code, but in the end he goes down so anticlimactically. I felt like I was robbed of seeing Dexter at his table one final time.

Deb dying was something that I think everyone predicted and because of that i'm surprised it happened. I hoped the writers could come up with a better solution for her character, but...she dies anyways. Is it bad writing or just coincidence that the two biggest life changes for Dexter stem from similar predicaments? (Rita's death/Deb's death)

@k4tzm4n said:

Posting via phone so I can't elaborate but my feeling is essentially "meh."

I think that may end up being my take on this episode as well...

I thought the episode was good up until the ending. The idea was good but the ending killed it. They could have done so much more.

Agreed. For one, that final scene, where he just closes his eyes, quickly opens them, then just stares at the camera was just lazy. I know they were trying to convey that the 'old' Dexter was back but it would have been so much more gratifying to have him sift through police reports or stalk a killer. And how the hell did his serial killer unexplained super powers leap so dramatically? I mean he literally carried a body onto his boat and then later survived a hurricane. Da fudge??

It felt a little rushed. But I had that feeling all season.

Its ok though. Still one of the most awesome TV series ever (even if the first 4 seasons were way better than the last 4)

I just really wish they had taken a different approach with this season. There were so many dropped plot points/unnecessary plot points and missed opportunities. Why the hell was Misuka's dauther introduced if she was LITERALLY going to have ~2 minutes an episode? What the hell ever happened to the lady who beat Quinn for Sargent? What was the point of Jamies expanded role if Quinn was just going to dump her? What was the point of spending 5 or so episodes on the fake brain killer when more time could have been spent developing Saxon? And why the hell did they drop the ball on Zack??!! That could've been a real great storyline right there!

But, what really irks me, is that after 8 seasons no one even finds out what Dexter really is. They've been building up to and tesing it for so long but in the end.....he's just some missing forensic tech...boooo

After thinking about it, I give the series finale a 6.5/10.....meh

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: The entire supporting cast had virtually no factor in the finale and thats just weak sauce. Deb should have told Quinn everything in the ambulance and died right there. Setting up a confrontation between Quinn and Dexter (which I felt they had been building towards for awhile now). The way they white washed Dexter killing Saxon was f'n laughable. I swear the entire episode felt like they were overwhelmed by loose ends and just said f'it, put this out there and lets go home. A sad ending to a great series. They could have at least had Dexter put someone on his table during the logging scene, I mean come on lol

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@buttersdaman000: Yeah. That's why I said it felt rushed because of all the storylines that seemingly disappeared.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was definitely rushed. Dexter left a hospital in plain sight with a woman, then wrapped her up and put her on his boat. Gee, there's nothing suspicious about that. The ending itself was fitting. Dexter's a serial killer. He can't control his urges and that's what got Rita and Debra killed. It puts Hannah and Harrison in danger. People wanted a happy ending, but there aren't always happy endings and Dexter was just meant to be alone.

I didn't like how they didn't elaborate on anything. What's Dexter doing about his "dark passenger"? What's going to happen with Harrison? How's Hannah handling the possible future serial killer? Do Cody and Astor still exist, or were they sucked into a vortex of irrelevancy?

I'd prefer it if Harrison ended up killing Saxon and then roll the credits with him, Dexter, and Hannah leaving. It's not the best idea, but it would keep the signature humorous tone and that's often the best way to end a show. No real way anyone can complain. I know they wanted drama, but they figuratively killed Dexter. They took away any chance of the fans coming up with their own ideas of what happens next.

All in all, it was a decent and fitting ending, but it was unnecessary.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dexter really dying in the storm and then a final scene of Hannah bled out on a floor with a bloody Harrison standing next to her and Dexter appearing (Harry style) with a proud look on his face, would have been good enough for me.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh crap, are you telling me that after 2 terribly bad seasons in a road, the ending sucked?

How could, i mean it wasnt like they decide to get rid of all the elements that did Dexter human in the first seasons, like i dont know Rita, Astor and Cody.

Is not like they get back the Lumen concept with another actress, because they notice Dexter didnt had romance in his life and was very plain.

Take away all the human emotions of Dexter for the sake of make him a psychopath or Sociopath, even when in the first season you can notice he is not, he has some serious problem, but he is neither of them.

Is not like Yvonne Strahovski, show to everybody she is overrated in her looks and acting skills.

Is not like if the show wasnt terrible in the last 2 season and was a stupid fan fics for fat goth girls that never got touched by a man.

Yes, that was sarcasm, its that exactly.

It was obvious the end was going to be terrible, the only way to save Dexter was to force him to kill Hanah McKay or decide he cared more for Astor, Cody, his cop friend and notice he was going to walk away of his family and who he was for some random woman, then let Hannah alone in Argentina, in other words Dexter decide to care more about himself that for Hannah.

Yvonne Strahovski is the face of the new Olivia Wilde, i dont get why they keep pushing this people that has show they just dont have it, they stop this with Rachel Nichols, she got into TV in Criminal Minds and i think they even kicked her out of there, Olivia Wilde keep being box officce poison.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000:

Lol there was always hope...

@awesam:

Did Dexter even mention Astor and Cody in the final few episodes??

@gambler said:

@buttersdaman000: The entire supporting cast had virtually no factor in the finale and thats just weak sauce. Deb should have told Quinn everything in the ambulance and died right there. Setting up a confrontation between Quinn and Dexter (which I felt they had been building towards for awhile now). The way they white washed Dexter killing Saxon was f'n laughable. I swear the entire episode felt like they were overwhelmed by loose ends and just said f'it, put this out there and lets go home. A sad ending to a great series. They could have at least had Dexter put someone on his table during the logging scene, I mean come on lol

There was actually a leaked fake script that had something of a showdown between Dexter and Quinn. In this script, Quinn confronts Dexter about Saxon and basically reveals that he's known for a while now what Dexter really is. Dexter makes a move to escape or kill him, but Quinn relates with him instead. I don't remember all the details but Quinn basically covers up all of Dexter's crimes (which were discovered and forces Dexter to keep a low profile), helps him escape with Hannah and Harrison, and then kills Saxon himself in revenge for the recently murdered Deb. The script basically covered the last two episodes so based on the penultimate episode I knew it wasn't going to happen like this. But, it would've been a lot better. There was also another version that played out similar to this, except Hannah is killed by Saxon instead of Deb. Quinn still knows Dexters secret, but Dexter kills Saxon instead of him. Dex then gives Harrison to Deb and escapes Miami, revealed as the Bay Harbour Butcher, and with a newly invigorated need to kill.

@gambler said:

Dexter really dying in the storm and then a final scene of Hannah bled out on a floor with a bloody Harrison standing next to her and Dexter appearing (Harry style) with a proud look on his face, would have been good enough for me.

This would have been cool too

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Ghostshell

I like/love Olivia Wilde ;)

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: Dexter mention he talk with Astor and Cody and told them they could go to Argentina in Christmas, they just cut the scene because the the guys making Dexter hated Astor and Cody for some reason, i mean the last time we saw Astor was terrible.

@gambler said:

That you like some one dont make it good, she is mirrors the other actors, she is a mirror.

Pretty much people that mirror the performance of other actors, the main problem is that she look amazing thanks to Hugh Laurie, but it wasnt her acting what people buy, was Laurie acting and performance, she just mirror it, thats why she hasnt done anything that amazing since she leave House MD.

That is the problem with many of the so called great actor and actresses of today, they need great actors to look good, many people even say it was the rest of the casting why they sucked, without notice good actors do a great job, dont matter of what movie they are doing and the casting, they are always good.

I dont have problem with her, but in a wolrd with Mia Wasikowska, tere is no reason to cast mirrors over actresses.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gambler said:

That you like some one dont make it good, she is mirrors the other actors, she is a mirror.

Guess lucky for me then I never said it did, but thats the great thing about "opinions" we can have different ones :)

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By nefarious

Well, the finale sure wasn't "grand".

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gambler said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

@gambler said:

Guess lucky for me then I never said it did, but thats the great thing about "opinions" we can have different ones :)

Opinion argument?

Why is so popular?, it beats the whole concept of what a forum is, since it about the subjective nature of reallity and forums is about the objective nature of reallity.

You cant have discussion of subjective things, well you can, but this is not a philosophy forum, is a comic book one.

People should notice forums arent social networks, where this argument make sense.

An Internet forum is a discussion area on a website. Website members can post discussions and read and respond to posts by other forum members.

Also i used her to point an argument in here and my reply is to make an example of the argument.

Stop the social network transformation of the internet, before everything became facebook and twitter.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@deathpoolthet1000: No offense, but waxing poetic about the nature of objective reality in response to a post pertaining to the opinion of liking Olivia Wilde does not come across as intelligent, but rather as someone trying really hard to sound intellectual.

Is not like if the show wasnt terrible in the last 2 season and was a stupid fan fics for fat goth girls that never got touched by a man.

Especially coming on the heels of this magnificent gem.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gambler: And saying the opinion argument is that exactly, sound smart without having a real argument or an actual opinion about it.

Is a classic technique of the internet forums.

Is like leaving posting you leave, so it looks you had the upper hand when you leave.

Most of the times, the guy that had a point or the upper hand, leaves without telling the other he is leaving.

Keep going and going until the other quits.

This and the first one are very normal, when a person runs out of arguments, you keep posting and posting until the other leaves.

Out of context quotes, another technique.

You can read the whole wall post i put and see that comment goes into the fact , they dumb the show, they add pointless romance, add cast member that give nothing to the show and take every direction to make the show more popular, that last one wouldnt be bad, if it wasnt they decide to make the show more popular by ignoring all the past seasons and kicking off anything that made Dexter special.

Also, 50 Shades of Grey was a fan fic of Twilight about BDSM(Not joking you still can find the original fan fic in some websites), made by a fat woman that use very dak clothes, is a joke about that and how bad the writting of Dexter was in the last 2 seasons.(Hanah McKay Seasons is to Dexter, what 50 Shades of Grey is to Twilight, that was the joke)

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: I honestly dont care about an upper hand. My post about liking Olivia Wilde was a non-factor. It had no traction and had taken nothing away from your points about Dexter. The minute you started worrying about upper hands, last words, who's gonna quit first, etc, is the precise minute you derailed yourself. I didnt even @ reply you initially. You win, you're smarter, your points are factually accurate, Olivia Wilde is a mirror, and the argument is yours. Victory is yours man. Enjoy it.