Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Trodorne

Dear Marvel/Disney Execs:

I am an angry fanboy. yes im sure you get that alot. but rather than my constant nerd rage which is spewed across this internet and even swearing. Ive decided to come to a better decision that is mutually beneficial for both. I am dropping all of your comic books now.

I could go on with the why, and just let you as well this is going to be a message for DC as well. I/ we are all sick and tired the way you have been running things and pumping out useless comic series expecting people to buy into them. Do you honestly think Spider-man / wolverine really needs 3 or 4 titles? Cause there are many who seem to think we don't. Do we really need 3-10 different variant covers cluttering up the shelves that are not being sold? Im going to go with a big no on that one.

Point being Marvel, is that you are insulting your readers by this poor attempt to bombard the shelves with your titles to get new readers. Lets face it marvel, new readers are not interested in paying 3.99 on a media that has no flashing lights, the ones who see the movies only stay for the movies, they do not care for the comics. its because of this tireless act you have put on since the 90's with your variant covers and trying to pander to the collectors out there who think their comic is worth tons of cash (Which by the way anything post 1988 isn't worth much). You have alienated your audience And I for one am done with you unless you show the following signs of change:

• You will replace the high glossy pages you currently put in your books with recycled newsprint paper. yes a comic may degrade faster if not taken care of but that is the point.
  • Increase the number of pages in comics to 32 pages and those are pages are pnes that do not have ads.
  • You will also stop abusing your current audience with ill conceived "Major events" just to try to sell to an average market.
  • Stop using Death as a gimmick to try to boost sales when you are planning to bring them back only a few months later, have some class.
  • Drop the printing of variant covers unless its an anniversary issue like Issue 800 or 1000...etc
  • Kill off your character or retire him if you are truly out of story ideas, do not make them younger.
  • If a writer is coming on to a series make sure they at least understand the basic premise of how the character works.

Then and only then if these demands are met I will continue to pick up my few titles from marvel. Though I hold no grudge against Dan Slott and his amazing work. I will do what I need to in order to get my point across. Have a good time marvel I am now officially done picking up your comics.

P.S: DC you are next if you follow the same path as Marvel.

Anyone who is with me are welcome to do the same. if you would much rather support the way marvel does business that is your choice I do not hold ill will.... much.

artgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By artgamer

cry baby cry

haters gonna hate

and you know the rest

but an ecologic advice, give it to someone who want the comics, don't drop it on a trash can

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Trodorne

@ArtGamer said:

but an ecologic advice, give it to someone who want the comics, don't drop it on a trash can

????? Did you think I was suggesting of throwing out my comics?

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Xanni15

As harsh as it sounds, they honestly won't miss you.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By Strider1992

Unless i'm mistaken Spider-man only has 2 titles (Avenging which is just random team-ups and Amazing which is continuity) unless you're counting the Avengers/New Avengers. I don't see why though because he's just there to boost sales and does bugger all lol. IMO they should get him out of those titles. He doesn't need to be an Avenger.

I know how you feel Marvel has been annoying the hell outta me lately as well. I've dropped all Marvel titles except Scarlet Spider (which is awesome) until Marvel Now starts.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By danhimself

the reason why Spider-man and Wolverine are in more than one title is because they sell...despite what you read on the forums...books with those characters tend to sell more than books without them....also as of Marvel Now....Spider-man has his solo title, Avenging Spider-man, and Avengers....3 books....Captain America is in 2 Avengers books and his solo book...3 books.....Thor is in his solo plus 2 Avengers books...3 books....I don't see a problem

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8  Edited By Inverno

@Trodorne: Nailed pretty much every problem I have with Marvel, except a major one for me: comic book events where heroes fight among themselves more than a bad guy. Srsly, who needs villain if the Avengers and the X-Men are always battling? This cliche has been done to death in both Marvel and DC but Marvel has already beating a dead horse at this point with this f***** thing!

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Billy Batson

First time I see someone complaining about variants besides movie variants for series that aren't related to a movie in any way.

@danhimself said:

the reason why Spider-man and Wolverine are in more than one title is because they sell...despite what you read on the forums...books with those characters tend to sell more than books without them....also as of Marvel Now....Spider-man has his solo title, Avenging Spider-man, and Avengers....3 books....Captain America is in 2 Avengers books and his solo book...3 books.....Thor is in his solo plus 2 Avengers books...3 books....I don't see a problem

Actually, Cap has two ongoings.
BB

artgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By artgamer

@Trodorne: people do stupid things when they get mad

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By danhimself

@Billy Batson said:

First time I see someone complaining about variants besides movie variants for series that aren't related to a movie in any way.

@danhimself said:

Actually, Cap has two ongoings.
BB

I know he has 2 now but is Captain America and... still going to be around once Marvel Now starts?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By Lvenger

@Trodorne said:

• You will replace the high glossy pages you currently put in your books with recycled newsprint paper. yes a comic may degrade faster if not taken care of but that is the point.

What good's that gonna do? The comics look better that way and last longer. I know that way the price would come down but I prefer the feel of the new comic books to the older ones though the older ones are more classic and vintage and stuff. So I do appreciate that. But I don't mind picking up fewer comics for better quality ongoings.

@Trodorne said:

• Increase the number of pages in comics to 32 pages and those are pages are pnes that do not have ads.

I just read TMNT 13 yesterday and was amazed by the lack of advertisements. I wonder how indie companies are funded. But anyway the Big Two need advertisement to keep producing large numbers of comics amongst other things. It's the way of the world. What would you have television stations do, not have ads in the middle of the show? That's how they get money to do these things.

@Trodorne said:

• Kill off your character or retire him if you are truly out of story ideas, do not make them younger.

Why aren't you dropping DC as well? They've made their entire universe younger. And although OMD had some initially bad stages, e.g Brand New Day, it's resulted in Slott's awesome run and for that, I can say OMD did at least one good thing.

@Trodorne said:

• If a writer is coming on to a series make sure they at least understand the basic premise of how the character works.

Oh this is good too. Bendis ruined the Avengers and is gonna ruin X-Men, Fraction ruined Thor and now he's moving onto Fantastic Four and FF. Another thing Marvel do wrong.

@Trodorne said:

Anyone who is with me are welcome to do the same. if you would much rather support the way marvel does business that is your choice I do not hold ill will.... much.

They already are to an extent. Glossy pages, creative teams that don't understand the characters, ads, most of their titles not having 32 pages. Sure you want to do the same thing with DC you're going to do with Marvel? And personally I just look at the quality titles at Marvel from their best creators. Slott, Hickman, Brubaker, Remander, Aaron and others. I only pick up 2 Marvel books though technically 3 because Amazing Spider-Man is bi weekly.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 47

#15  Edited By TheCannon

@TheAcidSkull said:

@TheCannon said:

I have given up on Marvel too. I just thank God for the New 52.

new 52 is an abomination

No it isn't. It's actually made DC better than Marvel (first time in history). Superman is interesting now. The only problem is Manhunter not being a League founder.

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By ms__omega
No Caption Provided
Avatar image for thetimestreamer
theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By theTimeStreamer

'dear person, we do not give a f***' - Marvel & Disney.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KnightRise

No you're not.

Avatar image for knightofcydonia
Noctis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Noctis
@TheCannon said:

I have given up on Marvel too. I just thank God for the New 52.

Agreed. Though I only read one Marvel comic and that's Captain Marvel.
Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Trodorne said:

Dear Marvel/Disney Execs:

I am an angry fanboy. yes im sure you get that alot. but rather than my constant nerd rage which is spewed across this internet and even swearing. Ive decided to come to a better decision that is mutually beneficial for both. I am dropping all of your comic books now.

I could go on with the why, and just let you as well this is going to be a message for DC as well. I/ we are all sick and tired the way you have been running things and pumping out useless comic series expecting people to buy into them. Do you honestly think Spider-man / wolverine really needs 3 or 4 titles? Cause there are many who seem to think we don't. Do we really need 3-10 different variant covers cluttering up the shelves that are not being sold? Im going to go with a big no on that one.

Point being Marvel, is that you are insulting your readers by this poor attempt to bombard the shelves with your titles to get new readers. Lets face it marvel, new readers are not interested in paying 3.99 on a media that has no flashing lights, the ones who see the movies only stay for the movies, they do not care for the comics. its because of this tireless act you have put on since the 90's with your variant covers and trying to pander to the collectors out there who think their comic is worth tons of cash (Which by the way anything post 1988 isn't worth much). You have alienated your audience And I for one am done with you unless you show the following signs of change:You will replace the high glossy pages you currently put in your books with recycled newsprint paper. yes a comic may degrade faster if not taken care of but that is the point.

1. You will replace the high glossy pages you currently put in your books with recycled newsprint paper. yes a comic may degrade faster if not taken care of but that is the point.
  2. Increase the number of pages in comics to 32 pages and those are pages are pnes that do not have ads.
  3. You will also stop abusing your current audience with ill conceived "Major events" just to try to sell to an average market.
  4. Stop using Death as a gimmick to try to boost sales when you are planning to bring them back only a few months later, have some class.
  5. Drop the printing of variant covers unless its an anniversary issue like Issue 800 or 1000...etc
  6. Kill off your character or retire him if you are truly out of story ideas, do not make them younger.
  7. If a writer is coming on to a series make sure they at least understand the basic premise of how the character works.

Then and only then if these demands are met I will continue to pick up my few titles from marvel. Though I hold no grudge against Dan Slott and his amazing work. I will do what I need to in order to get my point across. Have a good time marvel I am now officially done picking up your comics.

1. I wonder what people did before glossy pages? Oh yeah, read them and kept them in pristine condition. Bought another copy, maybe. Now we go digital.

2. They make money off of those advertisements just like any other magazine. No one thinks Spider-Man getting knocked through a wall by Doc Ock is going to improve his disgusting scalp (thank you by the way, Head & Shoulders). Too many pages? Read manga.

3. Secret Wars, the Infinity Gauntlet and so on. I do feel you, although you should have caught on the minute the skrulls were introduced to invigorate the skepticism of heroes' intentions.

5. Variants provide collectors a chance to own two equally worthless comics that bring nothing to light and go nowhere.

6. Again, blame DC. They had the corner on the market and Marvel wanted a slice. They could only afford the frosting and none of the crumbs.

P.S. DC is the same. Give up mainstream comics altogether.

artgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By artgamer

@Ms. Omega said:

No Caption Provided

@theTimeStreamer said:

'dear person, we do not give a f***' - Marvel & Disney.

MatKrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

#22  Edited By MatKrenz

So what were the Marvel titles you were reading ?

deadpoolrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deadpoolrules

@Xanni15 said:

As harsh as it sounds, they honestly won't miss you.

This.

Glad the New 52 came out?LOL,the stories are so stupid I gave up,I'm just enjoying Red Lanterns and Batman,the rest is crap.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheCannon

@deadpoolrules said:

Glad the New 52 came out?LOL,the stories are so stupid I gave up,I'm just enjoying Red Lanterns and Batman,the rest is crap.

What I have read has been epic. Batman, Justice League, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Superman, etc. Superman is an interesting character now.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Squalleon

@Trodorne: Believe me man, i have given up on Marvel long time ago!

They try something completely idiotic.They try to make the comics like the movies.ARE THEY SERIOUS.Every story must be faithfull to it's medium.No movie fan is gonna buy as many titles as a comic fan. Killing or retiring characters only to bring in movie-like version of them is stupid(look Battle Scars,Marvel Now) Another thing that makes me angry is the myriads of useless titles and how they have stupided down their comics.

Marvel says that it's policy is to bring in younger audience.I am 18 years old,it does not get any younger.

As for Dc(dont think i forgot about you).Don't oversell your stuff.I really want the Supes/WW relationship but i don't want 100 blogs is your page about it.And please show some respect,not every situation is right to promote (the one who follow dc's blog will understand,i think :-P).

@Xanni15: You don't know how right you are.

deadpoolrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deadpoolrules

@TheCannon said:

@deadpoolrules said:

What I have read has been epic. Batman, Justice League, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Superman, etc. Superman is an interesting character now.

Well,Supes is a little better than before,Aquaman is horrible as always,Green Lantern is idiot,why would Sinestro re-join?Wonder Woman is really slow,there isn't action,just story and Justice League is nicier because MM is out.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheCannon

@deadpoolrules said:

@TheCannon said:

@deadpoolrules said:

Well,Supes is a little better than before,Aquaman is horrible as always,Green Lantern is idiot,why would Sinestro re-join?Wonder Woman is really slow,there isn't action,just story and Justice League is nicier because MM is out.

I haven't been reading Aquaman (can't get it anywhere) so I can't speak for that. GL being an idiot drags the entire series down? A comic book has to be all action? The only bad part about the League is no MM. I think Batman was the guy to get rid of to put Cyborg in.

deadpoolrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deadpoolrules

@TheCannon said:

@deadpoolrules said:

@TheCannon said:

@deadpoolrules said:

I haven't been reading Aquaman (can't get it anywhere) so I can't speak for that. GL being an idiot drags the entire series down? A comic book has to be all action? The only bad part about the League is no MM. I think Batman was the guy to get rid of to put Cyborg in.

Lol

1. You can't find it and don't want to
  2. Not the entire series,but Kyle's part is strange as well
  3. Nope,but a little bit of action should be a good idea
  4. Ha,so there's something we differ,because Batman is only the best character from DC and the one who has the better serie.
Mycroftian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mycroftian

@Trodorne

• You will also stop abusing your current audience with ill conceived "Major events" just to try to sell to an average market.
  • Stop using Death as a gimmick to try to boost sales when you are planning to bring them back only a few months later, have some class.
  • Drop the printing of variant covers unless its an anniversary issue like Issue 800 or 1000...etc

1. This seems. . . really nitpicky. I get that you want things to be cheaper, but not sure what the rest of your point is.

3. Major events sell comic books. Could the big events be better thought out and perhaps restructured a bit? Absolutely. But Marvel is a corporation, and you can't blame them for doing what makes a profit. That is their purpose: to make a profit.

4. Not like DC doesn't also have that problem.

6. Kill off every character that they're not immediately sure what to do with? That would end very, very poorly.

7. Fair enough.

Also, you seem to think that there is no such thing as a reader who gets drawn in by movies. This is completely wrong. I was into Batman when I was little because of the Adam West show, and ended up reading The Dark Knight Returns when I was around 8. I got out of comics for a while, but I was drawn back in by the Spider-Man movies, and then the Dark Knight Trilogy and the Marvel Phase One movies. Believe it or not, people do actually take notice when millions of dollars are spent to put characters and properties at the forefront of national attention, and some of those people are of the sort willing to buy comics.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheCannon

@deadpoolrules said:

@TheCannon said:

@deadpoolrules said:

@TheCannon said:

@deadpoolrules said:

Lol

4. Ha,so there's something we differ,because Batman is only the best character from DC and the one who has the better serie.
  1. I would love to find it. But there's no where I can get the actual comics or trade paperback.
  2. Your logic is faulty.
  3. And there is.
  4. I love Batman, but he doesn't fit in with the rest of the League. Superman and GL are fighting across the universe. Wonder Woman is fighting Gods. Aquaman is protecting an entire Kingdom. Batman is chasing thugs around of rooftops. How does he fit in?
deadpoolrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deadpoolrules

@TheCannon said:

@deadpoolrules said:

@TheCannon said:

@deadpoolrules said:

@TheCannon said:

@deadpoolrules said:

Lol

1. I would love to find it. But there's no where I can get the actual comics or trade paperback.
  2. Your logic is faulty.
  3. And there is.
  4. I love Batman, but he doesn't fit in with the rest of the League. Superman and GL are fighting across the universe. Wonder Woman is fighting Gods. Aquaman is protecting an entire Kingdom. Batman is chasing thugs around of rooftops. How does he fit in?
  1. Ok,your choice,but I hardly recommend not to
  2. Nope,Sinestro in Green Lanterns Corps again is faulty,Kyle with all power rings is faulty
  3. Not from what I have seen,she is just in rage because she is not made from clay,poor girl

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

When it comes to a character being in too many comics not only do I see no problem with this but DC is even worse with the large amount of comics Batman appears in

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By danhimself

@deadpoolrules said:

@TheCannon said:

@deadpoolrules said:

your comments about Aquaman and Green Lantern lead me to believe that you haven't read them and you're only going off of assumptions....Aquaman has been consistently good since it's start...find one review that disagrees.....Sinestro didn't rejoin on his own free will...he tried to remove the ring when it chose him but hasn't been able to remove it...him becoming a GL again has been all part of the Guardians' plan to get rid of the GLC

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#34  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Dear Angry Fanboy, 

We appreciate your past dedication, and your passion about what you view as problems at our company, however, we are apart of the largest and most powerful conglomerate in the world and have more than enough business that you giving up on us will be like a mosquito biting a blue whale, I'm sure we will survive without you. 

With All Due Respect, 

Marvel Comics

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#35  Edited By Samimista

@Trodorne said:

Oh how I agree with all of this. I used to love both Marvel and DC but for the past year been more of a DC girl as I'm so tired of 'big events' happening oh so often.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

Well you're a customer so you have every right to voice your opinion and I already dropped Marvel and pretty soon DC as well. I agree with almost everything you said.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SoA

@TheCannon: @Trodorne: you are not alone on this come november im dropping marvel and getting DC and Indies only

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Trodorne

@danhimself: Spider-man Has Spectacular Spider-man and Web of Spider-man back now.....

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By danhimself

@Trodorne: those are only .1 issues for the anniversary

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By Gambit1024

Well thanks for playing. I read the stuff from the writers I like, regardless of the company, but that's just me

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#41  Edited By joshmightbe

As an older fan I agree that Marvel and DC can go too far in the effort to get new readers but as a person who understands the reality of the situation I feel the need to point out that quite frankly this medium that we all love so much here is dying, the companies need to get as many new readers in as possible and yes they may have to upset some of the older fans like myself to do so. I will admit that some of their attempts to get those new readers have been, lets say misguided but honestly they are trying to do what they have to in order to get those desperately needed new readers. And lets be honest here if Marvel and DC do end up failing then companies like Image, and the indie publishers don't really have any reason to be optimistic about their chances.

At this point in time we older readers are just going to have to take this in stride or else in 10, maybe 20 years tops comics will be a thing of the past.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I doubt Marvel and Disney would care...

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt Marvel and Disney would care...

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#44  Edited By PowerHerc

Well written.

If enough readers do the same, then Marvel will have no choice but to notice and then maybe they'll realize who is really paying their bills: Not the speculative collectors, not the movie goers, not kids (not at $3.99 a comic) and not their over-priced talent whom would rather be writing for TV and Movies. None of them.

It's the long-time, die-hard comic fans that have stuck with and supported them through all their ups and downs over the years that have and are paying their wages and bills. Alienating us will only hasten their collapse and no marketing gimmick nor mega-event will prevent it.

Suprman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Suprman

@Gambit1024said:

Well thanks for playing. I read the stuff from the writers I like, regardless of the company, but that's just me

I do that too.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#46  Edited By Lvenger

@joshmightbe said:

As an older fan I agree that Marvel and DC can go too far in the effort to get new readers but as a person who understands the reality of the situation I feel the need to point out that quite frankly this medium that we all love so much here is dying, the companies need to get as many new readers in as possible and yes they may have to upset some of the older fans like myself to do so. I will admit that some of their attempts to get those new readers have been, lets say misguided but honestly they are trying to do what they have to in order to get those desperately needed new readers. And lets be honest here if Marvel and DC do end up failing then companies like Image, and the indie publishers don't really have any reason to be optimistic about their chances.

At this point in time we older readers are just going to have to take this in stride or else in 10, maybe 20 years tops comics will be a thing of the past.

QFT. It's a sad but real truth here.