Could Steam Replace Nintendo In Gaming's Big 3?

• 71 results
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Steam's DRM was not applauded right out of the gate. I remember a time when EVERYONE loathed it and I'm not exaggerating. It took YEARS for Steam to get where it is now so comparing it to what Xbox was attempting is moot. Microsoft was just being greedy and that's coming from someone who's backed Microsoft on several occasions. I can understand what others are basically stating here, anyone interested in Steam already has a rig set-up and it's a pretty safe bet to say that it's far superior to what they'll get with the Steam Machine. Ironically, the audience Valve is aiming for is already an established PC market and those who game on PC's tend to build their own rigs as those which are pre-built are hilariously overpriced.

thats not 100%, like I explained before Valve are aming for pepole who want to be PC gamers but don't want a PC not for pepole who already have high end PC's also not everybody on Steam has a high end PC, I mean I'm on Steam every day and I have a crappy lap top that runs Vista.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

@deranged_midget said:

Steam's DRM was not applauded right out of the gate. I remember a time when EVERYONE loathed it and I'm not exaggerating. It took YEARS for Steam to get where it is now so comparing it to what Xbox was attempting is moot. Microsoft was just being greedy and that's coming from someone who's backed Microsoft on several occasions. I can understand what others are basically stating here, anyone interested in Steam already has a rig set-up and it's a pretty safe bet to say that it's far superior to what they'll get with the Steam Machine. Ironically, the audience Valve is aiming for is already an established PC market and those who game on PC's tend to build their own rigs as those which are pre-built are hilariously overpriced.

thats not 100%, like I explained before Valve are aming for pepole who want to be PC gamers but don't want a PC not for pepole who already have high end PC's also not everybody on Steam has a high end PC, I mean I'm on Steam every day and I have a crappy lap top that runs Vista.

Who said it's 100 percent? It's more than likely but anyone who already has Steam probably has no intention of wasting money on an inferior product or something they already have. The Steam Machine does nothing different, it's just convenience really. For those interested and lack the resources, patience or knowledge to build a decent rig then sure, I guess it's a relatively good idea.

VoodooPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Not the Steam Box. That thing is trash.
I think PC gaming, however, has already beaten Nintendo. Everybody I know who plays PC uses Steam. Steam is already in the big three.

Marshall_Long

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shouldn't the PC be above the big 3? they are the Masters anyways lol.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not the Steam Box. That thing is trash.

I think PC gaming, however, has already beaten Nintendo. Everybody I know who plays PC uses Steam. Steam is already in the big three.

Steam passes the Big three (in terms of quality)

VoodooPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_arrow: I'm the only person I know who even own a Wii U. I know three people who game heavily on Steam.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Very unlikely.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I've never heard of Steam...

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steam as a service is far and beyond what XBL, PSN and Nintendo offer, although PSN is catching up quite quickly. Aside from that, PC gaming offers unparalleled customization but then it just rests in preference.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Gracetrack

@emequious_swerve said:

LOL. No.

This.

Nintendo still caters to a different target audience than the Steam Machine; the audience that wants Nintendo exclusive franchises, a more family friendly experience, and the "Nintendo" brand name.

Steam targets/caters to essentially the same demographic as PS4 and XBO. They're looking specifically at that group of gamers with this attempt at an "affordable" PC-like game console. If anything, I would be concerned about one of those two consoles/companies much more than I would about Nintendo.

Furthermore, what people like this almost always fail to take into consideration is that Nintendo does not need to "keep up" with the sales of their competitors and "win" a console generation. They simply need to remain profitable as a company.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emequious_swerve said:

LOL. No.

This.

Nintendo still caters to a different target audience than the Steam Machine; the audience that wants Nintendo exclusive franchises, a more family friendly experience, and the "Nintendo" brand name.

Steam targets/caters to essentially the same demographic as PS4 and XBO. They're looking specifically at that group of gamers with this attempt at an "affordable" PC-like game console. If anything, I would be concerned about one of those two consoles/companies much more than I would about Nintendo.

Furthermore, what people like this almost always fail to take into consideration is that Nintendo does not need to "keep up" with the sales of their competitors and "win" a console generation. They simply need to remain profitable as a company.

Good points all around but I'd argue the point regarding the demographic reaching out to those who own next-gen consoles from Sony and Microsoft is as pointless as those who own Nintendo's. Microsoft and Nintendo aren't new, they've been at it over a decade. Considering the recent sales numbers, both XBO and PS4 sold two million units respectively and in under a month, making them both the fastest selling consoles of all time. If the target demographic was that audience, it's not really going to make an impact as Steam has been around almost just as long.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good points all around but I'd argue the point regarding the demographic reaching out to those who own next-gen consoles from Sony and Microsoft is as pointless as those who own Nintendo's. Microsoft and Nintendo aren't new, they've been at it over a decade. Considering the recent sales numbers, both XBO and PS4 sold two million units respectively and in under a month, making them both the fastest selling consoles of all time. If the target demographic was that audience, it's not really going to make an impact as Steam has been around almost just as long.

Thanks. Although, I am not very clear on what you are driving at. Why is it as pointless? Would you mind elaborating a little bit more? My apologies.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget said:

Thanks. Although, I am not very clear on what you are driving at. Why is it as pointless? Would you mind elaborating a little bit more? My apologies.

I know Steam and Nin are aiming at two demographics but that doesn't mean one cant overtake the other and as for Nin reaming profitable well currently they are selling at a loss

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Deranged Midget

Sorry, should've explained the matter a little better. My point was that neither PC nor console gaming are new, they've been around for decades really. By now, they have their established fan-bases and audiences and perhaps a few will jump over to consoles or some will switch to PC gaming but if a massive change were to take place, it's not going to happen now as the base has been established.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know Steam and Nin are aiming at two demographics but that doesn't mean one cant overtake the other and as for Nin reaming profitable well currently they are selling at a loss

Overtake the other in what respect? Nintendo is very much aware that they don't attract a mainstream audience and they don't care. That much was evidenced through their lack of care for E3 this year and simple, stream-lined focus on first-parties. I think the minor loss they seem to have over the Wii U is merely due to rushing the product and failing to promote any boundary shattering ambition with the console. Compared to the PS4/XONE sure, the Wii U is doing poorly but the true indicator of success or failure comes not in a single year but over the course of several.

In addition, while it's on the handheld side of things, it still holds up their profit better than Microsoft or Sony ever did this gen or last thus far. The 3DS and Wii sold like mad cakes, giving the company more than enough leverage to take a minor loss for a bit with the Wii U.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry, should've explained the matter a little better. My point was that neither PC nor console gaming are new, they've been around for decades really. By now, they have their established fan-bases and audiences and perhaps a few will jump over to consoles or some will switch to PC gaming but if a massive change were to take place, it's not going to happen now as the base has been established.

Oh, okay. Yeah, I totally agree with you. I really was simply making the point the IF (a very big if) anyone would be concerned, it would be MS and Sony more so than Nintendo. But the reality is, none of the "Big 3" should be concerned at this point. The Steam Machine is the new blood and the underdog as far as the game console race goes, and it's going to be an uphill battle for it.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, they are selling the Wii U at a loss. Nintendo as a whole, however, is still profitable as company, if I am not mistaken.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Lunacyde  Moderator

I can't afford to buy new consoles anymore. if anyone thinks I'm shelling out $500 for a game system they're off their rocker.

Nintendo still has some of the best titles out there though...Pokémon, LoZ, Metroid, DK, Mario, etc

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#71  Edited By MakkyD

@jonny_anonymous: One of its purposes is for people to experience PC gaming without the tinkering, yet the tinkering is one of its promotion/marketing points.