Could Steam Replace Nintendo In Gaming's Big 3?

• 71 results
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#1  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
No Caption Provided

Now I love Nintendo, the SNES was the first console I ever got and after that I got ever Nintendo system all the way to the Gamecube and then they struck gold with the Wii, coming out of left field with the most family friendly game system out at the time but now things have turned ugly, the WiiU has flopped pretty badly and even though the DS is still the best hand held device it really only sells big numbers in the East as handhelds have mostly been replaced by tablet and mobile gaming in the West, It's getting harder and harder for the N to hang with the big boys.

Steam are the big boys when it comes to PC gaming and now they want a piece of the console market with the the new Steam Machine on the horizon, 300 of them have been sent out to the select participants for beta testing this year and it being up for sale to the general public some time next year. The Steam Machine isn't just any old next gen gaming device, it's a PC/Console hybrid, it will run on the open source Linux-based Steam OS (which will be up for free download this Friday) and will come in different versions each depending on the specs you want, ranging from price, power, size ect also every version will be fully hackable and upgradeable like a PC.

So with Nintendo faltering and Valve growing and taking chances do you think it could cause an "upset"?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Steam already stomps the big 3 together so yeah It doesn't matter

Avatar image for emequious_swerve
Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL. No.

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope not. I hate Steam.

mr_ingenuity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mr_ingenuity  Moderator

@nerdork said:

What? Why?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Not a huge gamer so I wouldnt know. But I dont like Nintendo so I sure.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad
deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Nintendo has been around for very long. I doubt it.

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By nerdork

@mr_ingenuity said:

@nerdork said:

What? Why?

@jonny_anonymous I dont like being made to register my PC games with an online organization, so that it works. I used to be able to just buy a game, install it and play it. Steam has had plenty of issues with their service in the past, and it makes gaming much more tedious. Of course, this is just my opinion. I am not a fan of theirs.

mr_ingenuity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mr_ingenuity  Moderator
Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nintendo always seems to be ahead of the curve and innovate everything. While Playstation and Xbox outperform it, Nintendo still makes all the breakthroughs with gameplay and owns the handheld market. Nintendo may not always be in the spot out of the three contenders, but without Nintendo the gaming world would likely stagnate.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@scorpion2501: That doesn't mean anything, Sony was around a long time as well before Xbox appeared and it's not like Valve are the new kids or anything.

Nintendo always seems to be ahead of the curve and innovate everything. While Playstation and Xbox outperform it, Nintendo still makes all the breakthroughs with gameplay and owns the handheld market. Nintendo may not always be in the spot out of the three contenders, but without Nintendo the gaming world would likely stagnate.

and yet the WiiU is a massive flop and even there best games like Mario 3D Land fail.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rogueshadow  Moderator

Not keen on Nintendo and I've never used Steam, but Steam is becoming increasingly popular so it is definitely possible.

Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

and yet the WiiU is a massive flop and even there best games like Mario 3D Land fail.

Even if it did flop, there is a high probability that gaming systems will incorporate a tablet like device into their systems like the Wii U did.

3D World is on the top ten list for top games globally. Not exactly a "flop". I seriously wish you people would get facts right before making up these claims.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@jonny_anonymous said:

Even if it did flop, there is a high probability that gaming systems will incorporate a tablet like device into their systems like the Wii U did.

3D World is on the top ten list for top games globally. Not exactly a "flop". I seriously wish you people would get facts right before making up these claims.

Yes that's the point, 3D World is critically acclaimed and yet it sold less than any other Mario game, even games like Knack sold more and what do you mean "you pepole" I even said in the OP I'm a Nintendo fan so stop bitching.

Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes that's the point, 3D World is critically acclaimed and yet it sold less than any other Mario game, even games like Knack sold more and what do you mean "you pepole" I even said in the OP I'm a Nintendo fan so stop bitching.

You called it a flop when its clearly not if you would have done a modicum of research. When I said "you people" I meant people that throw words around like "flop".

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

You called it a flop when its clearly not if you would have done a modicum of research. When I said "you people" I meant people that throw words around like "flop".

It did flop, nobody bought it.

Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its on the top ten charts of global video game sales. So, I guess someone bought it.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By juiceboks  Moderator

@emequious_swerve said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Not to mention the obscene amounts of sales Pokemon X and Y managed to bring in. In fact, if you compare the sales of X and Y with GTA 5 and consider the install base numbers on all the systems it was introduced on compared to the one handheld console Pokemon came out on..Pokemon actually did better in sales.

Nintendo is still very much in the game people..

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

Its on the top ten charts of global video game sales. So, I guess someone bought it.

and yet it's the lowest selling Mario game and is being out sold by games from last generation. If you truly think Nintendo are in a healthy situation right now then you may need to rethink.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emequious_swerve said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Not to mention the obscene amounts of sales Pokemon X and Y managed to bring in. In fact, if you compare the sales of X and Y with GTA 5 and consider the install base numbers on all the systems it was introduced on compared to the one handheld console Pokemon came out on..Pokemon actually did better in sales.

Nintendo is still very much in the game people..

Yes for the DS, that's not what we'r talking about here.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Deranged Midget

Steambox isn't a console. It's just an overpriced pre-built PC that's accessible to those who dislike a PC setup.

Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

and yet it's the lowest selling Mario game and is being out sold by games from last generation. If you truly think Nintendo are in a healthy situation right now then you may need to rethink.

lol, I am pretty sure Nintendo is doing fine.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steambox isn't a console. It's just an overpriced pre-built PC that's accessible to those who dislike a PC setup.

It's a console/PC hybrid also over priced? it's the same price as an Xbox.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By juiceboks  Moderator

@jonny_anonymous You're discussing whether Valve will usurp Nintendo's position in the top 3. I gave a prime example why Nintendo is still very much relevant and won't be usurped by any other company any time soon.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous You're discussing whether Valve will usurp Nintendo's position in the top 3. I gave a prime example why Nintendo is still very much relevant and won't be usurped by any other company any time soon.

I'm talking about consoles, not handhelds like I said in the OP.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Wolfrazer

As long as the Nintendo Trinity(Mario, Link, Samus) are still bringing in the money, then Nintendo has nothing to really worry about. Along with of course the other games Nintendo throws out.

Misterwizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By Misterwizz

@jonny_anonymous:

3D World is not the lowest selling Mario game, not at all. I believe that would go to one of the GBA games (Mario Pinball didn't make that much).

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfrazer: Mario sells but not as much as he used to and the other two haven't had any really good new games for ages, Link between Worlds is basically an update. Steam's user base is pretty huge and if they manage to lure even some of that with a fully modifiable console that runs on it's own open source OS with the promise of tablet/mobile gaming down the line then I think they could do some damage, sure they aren't going to be taking over in the next year or so but further down the line I think it's a possibility.

@jonny_anonymous:

3D World is not the lowest selling Mario game, not at all. I believe that would go to one of the GBA games (Mario Pinball didn't make that much).

I should have said lowest selling 3D game

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Wolfrazer

@jonny_anonymous: There is an upcoming LoZ game for the Wii U, details coming in 2014 at E3. So I wouldn't say it's been ages, of course yes Samus' last game was in 2010 just give it time. As long as the games keep selling, Nintendo will be fine. It's not like if they have a couple of slip ups, they'll suddenly be bankrupt you know...it is a big company, many games for Nintendo out there.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget said:

To match up to the specs of a "high-end" PC and considering it'll be pre-built, this thing won't be any cheaper than $1200. Utilizing the cheapest prices for "low-end" specs based off Newegg or Amazon, in addition to mass production of the console's casing, it'd still cost two to three hundred more than an Xbox One or Playstation 4. Honestly, it's not a bad deal but realistically, people interested in PC gaming could save a decent chunk building their own rig with better specs in addition to being able to utilize other features that the Steam Machine isn't capable of (at least to what we know).

As for Nintendo's position compared to the original Wii, they're in a sticky situation. People just don't seem to care to upgrade at all considering there aren't many differences. Nintendo prides themselves in their first-party titles, caring little for expanding that private sphere to accept third-party publishers. Clearly in the past and even now with the 3DS, that's working for them. Sadly, the lack of innovation with the tech given to them (gamepad), evidently being the weakest piece of tech on the market - which barely keeps up with the PS3/360, and for the most part lacking in a killer hit keeps them from staying on top as they did with the Wii.

One edge that Valve's steam machine will carry though is their advantage with how accustomed they are to the digital ecosystem, but again, the same is said with any regular PC with Steam.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@deranged_midget said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@deranged_midget said:

To match up to the specs of a "high-end" PC and considering it'll be pre-built, this thing won't be any cheaper than $1200. Utilizing the cheapest prices for "low-end" specs based off Newegg or Amazon, in addition to mass production of the console's casing, it'd still cost two to three hundred more than an Xbox One or Playstation 4. Honestly, it's not a bad deal but realistically, people interested in PC gaming could save a decent chunk building their own rig with better specs in addition to being able to utilize other features that the Steam Machine isn't capable of (at least to what we know).

As for Nintendo's position compared to the original Wii, they're in a sticky situation. People just don't seem to care to upgrade at all considering there aren't many differences. Nintendo prides themselves in their first-party titles, caring little for expanding that private sphere to accept third-party publishers. Clearly in the past and even now with the 3DS, that's working for them. Sadly, the lack of innovation with the tech given to them (gamepad), evidently being the weakest piece of tech on the market - which barely keeps up with the PS3/360, and for the most part lacking in a killer hit keeps them from staying on top as they did with the Wii.

One edge that Valve's steam machine will carry though is their advantage with how accustomed they are to the digital ecosystem, but again, the same is said with any regular PC with Steam.

They have already released some price info and there will be a version that's around $500, there are different version with different specs with different prices. These consoles are meant to bridge the gap between pepole who want the advantages of PC gaming but without getting an actual PC.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Replace" next to the word "Nintendo". Wow. I don't think so.

But seriously, first they have to make a vastly underpowered machine to compete with MS and Sony and Ninty.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

People are spewing the same ideas about Nintendo, I'm not repeating my facts why Nintendo are still in the top 3.

Btw, copying and paying for whatever fad is out at the moment are not really good 1st-party games, so colour me suprised about the steam box.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They have already released some price info and there will be a version that's around $500, there are different version with different specs with different prices. These consoles are meant to bridge the gap between pepole who want the advantages of PC gaming but without getting an actual PC.

Yeah, they are releasing different pre-built models holding different specs. As of right now, with PS4/XONE nearly achieving parity with PC powerhouse titles like BF4, I can't see the cheapest model of a Steam Box boasting the same level of specs. Obviously, I could be wrong considering the next-gen consoles hold older tech but again, consoles don't operate the same as PC development does. It's an odd situation. My point is that while Steam is widely lauded for it's excellent ecosystem, I don't think those looking to get the best of PC gaming will jump at something limited only to the SteamOS when dishing out a few hundred dollars more gives them the full capabilities of any OS, multi-tasking features (internet, music, etc), and top of the line specs and customizability. Just my thoughts considering I helped my friend build his own rig for under a grand that could play BF4 and Crysis 3 at ultra-high settings, albeit with a little trouble. Pre-built rigs boasting that power are hilariously overpriced due to branding.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

Yeah, they are releasing different pre-built models holding different specs. As of right now, with PS4/XONE nearly achieving parity with PC powerhouse titles like BF4, I can't see the cheapest model of a Steam Box boasting the same level of specs. Obviously, I could be wrong considering the next-gen consoles hold older tech but again, consoles don't operate the same as PC development does. It's an odd situation. My point is that while Steam is widely lauded for it's excellent ecosystem, I don't think those looking to get the best of PC gaming will jump at something limited only to the SteamOS when dishing out a few hundred dollars more gives them the full capabilities of any OS, multi-tasking features (internet, music, etc), and top of the line specs and customizability. Just my thoughts considering I helped my friend build his own rig for under a grand that could play BF4 and Crysis 3 at ultra-high settings, albeit with a little trouble. Pre-built rigs boasting that power are hilariously overpriced due to branding.

sure but they are fully upgradeable like any PC also they can run WIndows as well as the Steam OS and the Steam OS will have streaming ect as well and will more than likely be upgraded after it's launched on Friday. I don't think PS4/XBone are that close to PC's ether tbh but really the hooker with the Steam Machine is to get pepole who want PC gaming without the PC, pepole like that aren't going to want to build there own PC, most would run away crying at the thought but if they were offered a nice shiny box to sit in the living room next to the TV then that's a different story.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

sure but they are fully upgradeable like any PC also they can run WIndows as well as the Steam OS and the Steam OS will have streaming ect as well and will more than likely be upgraded after it's launched on Friday. I don't think PS4/XBone are that close to PC's ether tbh but really the hooker with the Steam Machine is to get pepole who want PC gaming without the PC, pepole like that aren't going to want to build there own PC, most would run away crying at the thought but if they were offered a nice shiny box to sit in the living room next to the TV then that's a different story.

Well yeah, it's simple consumerism. In this case, I find it more unnecessary than I do with Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo's consoles. Why? Generally, because it is a rip-off mostly because some people may expect a branded product to have top of the line tech at relatively affordable prices. In that case, you could argue the same could be said for Xbox and Playstation, which I wouldn't entirely dispute but consoles tend to have exclusives separate from that of PC and regulate their own ecosystem. But yes, I do agree with you. PS4/XONE may have a parity with mid-to-high level PC's for a few years, somewhat getting better as time progresses, but PC's will always have the innate advantage due to customization options. That's the sole reason why PC's will always have an edge and why in my opinion with the announcement of multiple variations of the Steam Machine, I highly doubt each will be customizable to a similar degree of PC's since what would be the purpose of offering multiple variations when you could simply buy a base product and go from there. It'd be a massive loss for them when considering the mass production of better stacked versions.

Generally though, I have no qualms with the Steam Machine, it will generate sales, it will be popular but I feel like it'll have it's select audience and they might benefit from that. It's an odd proposition. Consoles in general appeal to people because of accessibility with both hardware and gamepad options yeah? Steam Machine aims to replicate that and expand to that sphere, which they probably will succeed with but most of that core audience already owns a rig and one that's undoubtedly superior in every way with only a few hundred dollars more. Like I said, I feel like it'll be limited to a specific market rather than the broader, "mainstream" one.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Black_Arrow

@wolfrazer: Mario sells but not as much as he used to and the other two haven't had any really good new games for ages, Link between Worlds is basically an update. Steam's user base is pretty huge and if they manage to lure even some of that with a fully modifiable console that runs on it's own open source OS with the promise of tablet/mobile gaming down the line then I think they could do some damage, sure they aren't going to be taking over in the next year or so but further down the line I think it's a possibility.

Steam user base already have a high-end pc so that console it is pointless for them. The steambox are for the ones who are scared of the PC

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

Steam user base already have a high-end pc so that console it is pointless for them. The steambox are for the ones who are scared of the PC

Not everybody on Steam automatically has high end PC's

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_arrow said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

WHY someone would have steam if they don't have high end PCs

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

@black_arrow said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

WHY someone would have steam if they don't have high end PCs

Because you don't need one to run it

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. That controller is the most ridiculous dpad i've ever seen(makes the xbox pad look great) lol

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Over Mario's dead body.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous:

• You overestimate the power of Steam's user base considering it's free.
  • The PC gamers that'd want this already have a decent PC.
  • While for console gamers, there is concerns over the pricing of the xbox one and ps4 already. What would make them pay the same amount of money or above for newcomer into the console market.
  • Console gamers notice DRM. The Xbox One's original DRM system was considered a travesty, yet it was based on the Steam model. Though, PC users are beginning to notice too with the rise of GOG.com and others.

As for Valve vs Nintendo, they simply can't keep up with the quantity/quality of exclusives. Besides Half-life, none of their games were created by themselves and they simply hired modders to profit off popular mods/games/fads. They even tried to get Minecraft off Notch when it was at its height of popularity.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaeternus: That's funny considering the controller has been lauded by pretty much everyone

@maccyd said:

@jonny_anonymous:

• You overestimate the power of Steam's user base considering it's free.
  • The PC gamers that'd want this already have a decent PC.
  • While for console gamers, there is concerns over the pricing of the xbox one and ps4 already. What would make them pay the same amount of money or above for newcomer into the console market.
  • Console gamers notice DRM. The Xbox One's original DRM system was considered a travesty, yet it was based on the Steam model. Though, PC users are beginning to notice too with the rise of GOG.com and others.

As for Valve vs Nintendo, they simply can't keep up with the quantity/quality of exclusives. Besides Half-life, none of their games were created by themselves and they simply hired modders to profit off popular mods/games/fads. They even tried to get Minecraft off Notch when it was at its height of popularity.

There will be no exclusives on the Steam Machine, they told developers not to make them.

This isn't for pepole who already have high end PC's, obviously.

They would pay the same amount for a better experience with PC gaming.

The DRM was actually a good thing with Xbox, they just presented it atrociously, PC gaming has had it it's entirety and it works perfectly fine.

Gambit474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree that that controller looks absolutely ridiculous. For me it breaks my heart seeing what Nintendo has become..They use to be on top of the world with the N64 and Gamecube yet now it's like they're in a hole that they can't seem to get out of. I get that Mario,Link,and whoever else sells for them but imo that's part of their problem..They aren't inventing anything new the way they use too and instead are relying on these same characters all the time now. It's like they're being like DC where DC can't sell in the movie biz unless it's Superman or Batman

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Vaeternus

@jonny_anonymous:

On that controller I've heard all subjective feedback lol, my friend showed me that weeks ago (he's a WOW, DOTA player uses steam daily) thought it was lame.

But as someone myself who isn't a PC guy, I can't judge in that regard. As a console player good luck with that design all I have to say lol.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: It based like a console, though? All it adds is technical stuff like hacking, upgrades and OSes etc, but isn't that what they're trying to stay away from? So how would they want the "superior" PC experience? If they had money to burn to get a steambox, just get a pre-rig, same thing, overpaying for what's offered.

Sim City and Diablo III prove otherwise. I'll assume you've never used DRM-free gaming before? Cause besides that Steam just allows PC gamers access to typical console stuff such as friend's lists, achievements, tradeable items, etc which wouldn't be worth the DRM to a console gamer.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@maccyd said:

@jonny_anonymous: It based like a console, though? All it adds is technical stuff like hacking, upgrades and OSes etc, but isn't that what they're trying to stay away from? So how would they want the "superior" PC experience? If they had money to burn to get a steambox, just get a pre-rig, same thing, overpaying for what's offered.

Sim City and Diablo III prove otherwise. I'll assume you've never used DRM-free gaming before? Cause besides that Steam just allows PC gamers access to typical console stuff such as friend's lists, achievements, tradeable items, etc which wouldn't be worth the DRM to a console gamer.

What do you mean?

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Deranged Midget

Steam's DRM was not applauded right out of the gate. I remember a time when EVERYONE loathed it and I'm not exaggerating. It took YEARS for Steam to get where it is now so comparing it to what Xbox was attempting is moot. Microsoft was just being greedy and that's coming from someone who's backed Microsoft on several occasions. I can understand what others are basically stating here, anyone interested in Steam already has a rig set-up and it's a pretty safe bet to say that it's far superior to what they'll get with the Steam Machine. Ironically, the audience Valve is aiming for is already an established PC market and those who game on PC's tend to build their own rigs as those which are pre-built are hilariously overpriced.