Could Netflix Bring Firefly Back From The Dead?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Mercy_
Source 

Ever since Joss Whedon’s space western was canceled back in 2003, its fans — at first, a relatively small contingent, but as time and DVD sales grew, so did the ranks swell — have wondered what could possibly rescue it from the tightly clenched jaws of death. And until now, nothing could. But with Netflix resuscitating other long-canceled shows, and greenlighting original programming, what had been a firm NO is now a wobbly MAYBE.

There were lots of reasons why Firefly never got a second shot at life (not counting the 2005 feature, Serenity), not the least of which is that ship-based science fiction shows are expensive. The rights can be a bit of a tangle: Fox owns the rights so if anyone wanted to make more episodes, they’d need to buy the opportunity — and networks who might be right for Firefly, like Syfy, have already crunched the numbers and found them not entirely attractive. Especially for a show that already failed once. And the cast could be hard to lock down—okay, Nathan Fillion will be hard to lock down. Since Firefly ended, he’s become a full-on TV star, and his time won’t come cheap if, contractually, it could come at all. 

All of that makes total sense. Or, rather, it did…before Netflix made the deal to make new episodes of the late, lamented Arrested Development.

Suddenly, all of that logic goes out the window. Because, presumably, Netflix will rebuild all of those sets, has negotiated the rights, and got the cast to sign on. They’re trading onArrested Development’s cult status to bring new subscribers to their service, in the same way that HBO counts on critical acclaim to enlarge their viewership. Add that to the fact that Netflix is producing original series left and right — from people like David Fincher and Eli Roth — and it’s a whole new ballgame. 

Would shooting new episodes of Firefly be expensive? Yes, but I don’t think any more than your average episode of a TV drama: Special effects are getting cheaper all the time and sets are sets, whether they’re emergency rooms, police precincts, or starship bridges. Fox already does business with Netflix — the whole Whedonverse is streaming — so the rights issue shouldn’t be all that headache-y. (Plus, I’m sure Fox wouldn’t mind being able to eventually sell a whole new season of Firefly on DVD and Blu-Ray.)

And most of that cast, I’m sorry to say, isn’t all that gainfully employed — at least the surviving members of Serenity’s crew. I’m sure they’d drop everything to do more of a show they loved (and get paid for it). And Fillion has said, time and again, that Firefly was the best job he ever had and that all Joss had to do was call. I’m sure he could work something out with the Castle brass.

So, the question isn’t really “could Netflix bring back Firefly?” — it’s “what are they waiting for?”

DrAlbertVentum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DrAlbertVentum

It very well might, definitively would be a good businessmen decision.

I'm sure you're very happy about this.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PrinceIMC

I'd love Firefly to come back, though it won't be as good without Wash.....and they might have a hard time getting Nathan away from Castle.

Whisper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Whisper_

@DrAlbertVentum said:

It very well might, definitively would be a good businessmen decision.

I'm sure you're very happy about this.

Fangirling out of control, actually.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

That would be amazing. Just got to keep Joss' ego in check, and bring Tim Minear in, and it'd be a godsend. 

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

I adore Firefly, but Whedon should just leave it be and have it remembered for what it could've been.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Deranged Midget

Love you for finding this info, but if Whedon doesn't direct the show, I don't think I could give it a chance.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Gambit1024

No Whedon, no sell.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By iLLituracy

Nope.

Avalonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Avalonia

@iLLituracy said:

Nope.

Nope to your existence. You are hereby denied the right to live.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iLLituracy

@Avalonia said:

@iLLituracy said:

Nope.

Saying mean things to me won't get Firefly back on the air.

Avalonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Avalonia

@iLLituracy said:

@Avalonia said:

@iLLituracy said:

Nope.

But it makes me feel...wait. Why are you even talking typing? You're dead.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iLLituracy

@Avalonia said:

@iLLituracy said:

@Avalonia said:

@iLLituracy said:

Nope.

Please, go on, tell me about how I make you feel better. :3

Avalonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Avalonia

@iLLituracy said:

@Avalonia said:

@iLLituracy said:

@Avalonia said:

@iLLituracy said:

Nope.

YOU'RE STILL ALIVE SO ALL YOU'RE DOING IS ANNOYING ME.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iLLituracy

@Avalonia said:

@iLLituracy said:

@Avalonia said:

@iLLituracy said:

@Avalonia said:

@iLLituracy said:

Nope.

YOU'RE STILL ALIVE SO ALL YOU'RE DOING IS ANNOYING ME.

...oh okay.

Queen's Halo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Queen's Halo

I hope not.

Avatar image for apatheticavenger
ApatheticAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -3

#17  Edited By ApatheticAvenger

It would certainly be nice, Firefly was needlessly butchered.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@ApatheticAvenger said:

To be fair to Fox, Whedon constantly blew the budget and filmed in HD when they asked him to film in SD. He really didn't help himself. 
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Billy Batson

lol, no.
BB

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By Magian

Well it got canceled for a reason.

ApatheticAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ApatheticAvenger

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

To be fair to Fox, Whedon constantly blew the budget and filmed in HD when they asked him to film in SD. He really didn't help himself.

Very true, but playing the episodes out of order isn't exactly the proper way to handle financial disputes with the creator. Whedon is rather famed for being a bit difficult, look at how long it took his Astonishing X-Men run to get through. The end result, however, was more than worth the delays.

I would argue the same would have been true of Firefly if Fox had given it the support it needed. If Buffy could last as long as it did, so could've Firefly.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@ApatheticAvenger said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

Very true, but playing the episodes out of order isn't exactly the proper way to handle financial disputes with the creator. Whedon is rather famed for being a bit difficult, look at how long it took his Astonishing X-Men run to get through. The end result, however, was more than worth the delays.

I would argue the same would have been true of Firefly if Fox had given it the support it needed. If Buffy could last as long as it did, so could've Firefly.

True, but Firefly didn't pull the audience required for how much money Whedon was spending.  

For Buffy's last few seasons, they saved money by not hiring script-writers.  
(Burn)
ApatheticAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ApatheticAvenger

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

True, but Firefly didn't pull the audience required for how much money Whedon was spending. For Buffy's last few seasons, they saved money by not hiring script-writers. (Burn)

Ha, you are right of course. People just don't know good television when they see it, they want Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men while Firefly was cancelled and Community is on the chopping block. Really makes you lose faith in humanity.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@ApatheticAvenger said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

True, but Firefly didn't pull the audience required for how much money Whedon was spending. For Buffy's last few seasons, they saved money by not hiring script-writers. (Burn)

Ha, you are right of course. People just don't know good television when they see it, they want Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men while Firefly was cancelled and Community is on the chopping block. Really makes you lose faith in humanity.

True, true. And that's providing you had any faith to begin with =P
Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Magian

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

Well people don't like the same things. Something you like and might think it is great, for someone else might be the wost thing ever.

ApatheticAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ApatheticAvenger

@ComicMan24 said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

Well people don't like the same things. Something you like and might think it is great, for someone else might be the wost thing ever.

Anyone who thinks Community is the worst thing ever is going to have their taste in television brought into question. The same goes for people who find Two and a Half Men to be quality comedy (and I say that knowing my best friend likes the show). :P

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

I'm an atheist, so faith in humanity is pretty much all I've got. :P

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@ApatheticAvenger said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

I'm an atheist, so faith in humanity is pretty much all I've got. :P

Become a Christian Nihilist.  
God created everything, and that was His biggest mistake =P
Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Magian

@ApatheticAvenger: And this is your opinion. Other people don't like Community. That doesn't mean that their opinion is wrong or that they don't know good TV whn they see it. Not all people like watching the same things.As for TAAHM I can agree that it is not good.

ApatheticAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ApatheticAvenger

@FadeToBlackBolt: Ha, I can't exactly just up and decide to become a Christian and believe in god after years of deliberation that led to me concluding that there isn't one.

@ComicMan24 said:

@ApatheticAvenger: And this is your opinion. Other people don't like Community. That doesn't mean that their opinion is wrong or that they don't know good TV whn they see it. Not all people like watching the same things.As for TAAHM I can agree that it is not good.

Sure, not all people like watching the same things, I was just saying that anyone who thinks Community is awful must be rather dense. The point is, a lot of genuinely good television shows are getting pushed aside for utter garbage because people watch it. Two and a Half Men is still on the air, Firefly and Arrested Development aren't.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Magian

@ApatheticAvenger: Well I was just using Community as an example. Have never watched that. And I agree with what you are saying even though if you ask me, Firefly is a bit overrated but still yeah a lot better than a lot of still on-going shows.

ApatheticAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ApatheticAvenger

@ComicMan24 said:

@ApatheticAvenger: Well I was just using Community as an example. Have never watched that. And I agree with what you are saying even though if you ask me, Firefly is a bit overrated but still yeah a lot better than a lot of still on-going shows.

I would say it's only overrated because of die hard fans, but obviously it's not for everyone.

adhd_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i wish it were resurrected from the dead.