#1 Edited by mikesterman (550 posts) - - Show Bio

where would i start, what would i need? i dont want to be a artist, but a writer

#2 Posted by IrishX (2259 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably not. Sentences start with the first word capitalized. You also forgot to to put an apostrophe in "don't". When the sentence is finished a period goes at the end. Plus you misspelled business in the thread title.

If you seriously want to be a writer you should have higher standards for yourself.

#3 Posted by Pyrogram (32234 posts) - - Show Bio

Writing is how you start writing. First you need practice.

#4 Posted by Nelomaxwell (10341 posts) - - Show Bio

@mikesterman: How old are you and what's your background. If you're an ethnic minority then no you can't.

#5 Edited by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by PowerHerc (78172 posts) - - Show Bio

There is no way to know until you actually break into the business and give it a go.

#7 Posted by Joygirl (15340 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (9503 posts) - - Show Bio

To go and tell everybody Batman is gay, then go and do bizarre things and take decision only a mad man could think.

Then go and do versions of famous character, put them another name and say you are doing your own version, because the mainstream is never going to let you do what ever you wants, then go crazier that normal.

#9 Posted by Nelomaxwell (10341 posts) - - Show Bio

To go and tell everybody Batman is gay, then go and do bizarre things and take decision only a mad man could think.

Then go and do versions of famous character, put them another name and say you are doing your own version, because the mainstream is never going to let you do what ever you wants, then go crazier that normal.

He said a comic writer not Grant Morrison.

#10 Posted by russellmania77 (13605 posts) - - Show Bio

No

#11 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (9503 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

He said a comic writer not Grant Morrison.

Take out the Go and tell everybody that Batman is gay, replace it with put some random rape scene and you get Mark Millar.

#12 Posted by TheSpiritStalker (1947 posts) - - Show Bio

You can learn the format of comic scripts and practice honing your skills there. It is however, really hard to break into this business. I would recommend writing a script and then show it off at comic-con or places where you can make contacts (that's what you need).

#13 Edited by Reactor (1993 posts) - - Show Bio
@irishx said:

Probably not. Sentences start with the first word capitalized. You also forgot to to put an apostrophe in "don't". When the sentence is finished a period goes at the end. Plus you misspelled business in the thread title.

If you seriously want to be a writer you should have higher standards for yourself.

It's not like he's auditioning here. Granted his presentation wasn't too impressive with the grammatical issues, but lax spelling is a commodity on internet forums, doesn't necessarily mean he's bad at spelling in a more practical setting.

#14 Edited by Omega Ray Jay (7496 posts) - - Show Bio

Go for it, and if it doesn't work out at least you tired.

#15 Posted by MonsterStomp (13143 posts) - - Show Bio

A good writer reads and writes a lot. Tis the only way to expand vocabulary, imagination/creativity and writing skill. Practice that and you could be successful.

#16 Posted by mikesterman (550 posts) - - Show Bio

@irishx ok this isnt a comic book, so i dont need these gramatical corrections. so yeah.

#17 Edited by mikesterman (550 posts) - - Show Bio

@monsterstomp: actually i have over 20 characters all living in my head, ive been writing stories but i really want to see them in a comic. writing every action is exhausting.

#18 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

Practice writing characters that aren't your own because unless you're with Image you're likely to be doing that.

#19 Posted by mikesterman (550 posts) - - Show Bio

@reactor: thank you, that guy was just trolling... -_-

#20 Posted by Samimista (20182 posts) - - Show Bio

Why of course. As long as you're dedicated and truly passionate then I say go for it. Never give up hope. You can do anything that you set your mind to. =D

#21 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

Why of course. As long as you're dedicated and truly passionate then I say go for it. Never give up hope. You can do anything that you set your mind to. =D

Even if you lack any talent you can still make it! Just ask Rob Liefeld!

Was that too mean? It was a little too mean wasn't it?

#22 Edited by Manchine (3662 posts) - - Show Bio

@mikesterman said:

@monsterstomp: actually i have over 20 characters all living in my head, ive been writing stories but i really want to see them in a comic. writing every action is exhausting.

To let you know 20 characters isn't that many.

When writing a comic book your pretty much doing a script (PLUS more). Because in each box you have to tell the artist what you want in it. Even then it takes money. I am starting a comic right now. First issue should be out later this month. =)

PS

This is a lot of characters. =)

http://www.globaldefenseforce.com/Characters.html

#23 Posted by Samimista (20182 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista said:

Even if you lack any talent you can still make it! Just ask Rob Liefeld!

Was that too mean? It was a little too mean wasn't it?

Lol! Well it did work for Rob. xD Surprised he's still around. =O He loves feet and pouches. 0.0

#24 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista: Well I heard he really is pretty passionate about comics. And I guess that does count for something.

#25 Posted by nerdork (3481 posts) - - Show Bio

What do you need?

To know someone already in the business.

#26 Posted by IrishX (2259 posts) - - Show Bio

@mikesterman:

Trolling? Ok. I was going to ignore you but let me explain a little more.

You asked a question and received an honest answer. If you can't even write a basic sentence then I have serious doubts about your ability to be successful in the comic book business. Doesn't sound like you'll be able to take criticism all that well either so that's not going to help. You want to be a professional writer then maybe you should start writing like one.

Also, this is a site based on reading. I have higher expectations for members here than I do for the members on my MMA forum for instance..... especially when they claim they want to be a professional writer.

#27 Edited by Samimista (20182 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoyelite: That is true. =O Best to do what you have the passion for. Like running the Raccoon Clan! 0.0

#28 Posted by Manchine (3662 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Edited by mikesterman (550 posts) - - Show Bio

@irishx: well its a website not a comic book... of course i"ll take comic book writing more seriously. i wasn't expecting an english teacher to give me an F.

#30 Posted by mikesterman (550 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Edited by Oscars94 (2000 posts) - - Show Bio

@nelomaxwell: That's ridiculous. There are plenty of successful comicbook writers who don't hail from America or Britain.