Avatar image for dragonescarlata
dragonescarlata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By dragonescarlata

Could an expert in kendo or kenjutsu fight proficiently with a western medieval sword (say a longsword or a broadsword)?

I'm asking because I'm writing a fantasy novel where some characters, that a I'm writing as kendo experts, pick up longswords and they can immediately not just hold themselves but defeat trained swordsmen.

Would this be possible or am I pushing it too far?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a937e573d769
deactivated-5a937e573d769

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

With a slight learning curve, I don't see any reason why not.

dragonescarlata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Could an expert in kendo or kenjutsu fight proficiently with a western medieval sword (say a longsword or a broadsword)?

I'm asking because I'm writing a fantasy novel where some characters, that a I'm writing as kendo experts, pick up longswords and they can immediately not just hold themselves but defeat trained swordsmen.

Would this be possible or am I pushing it too far?

It is possible. But they would most likely lose. But they would do well with a slightly curved swords. Of the 8 basic attacks in Kendo only one is a stabbing motion. Whereas longswords are designed exactly for stabbing opponents.

On the other hand. Any trained fighter only takes a short time to adjust to a weapon he has never even held before.

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, long sword is very different.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Bruxae

Try escrima, picking up a dagger.

Avatar image for deactivated-6241fa3a1cff5
deactivated-6241fa3a1cff5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be easier for them to fight more proficiently with these weapons than say the average newbie who is just freshly getting into it. There will be a learning curve, but that also depends on the practitioner, if that answers your question.

@bruxae said:

Try escrima, picking up a dagger.

That'd be dangerously awesome.

L. D.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn't seem all that hard to me.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They'd be more proficient than a complete novice, but they wouldn't be very good with it. A Katana and a European longsword (I assume you are referring to a two-hander like a zweihander or a Scottish Claymore) are completely different weapons. The Katana is a slicing curved sword whereas a longsword is a heavier straight sword meant for cleaving and overpowering. They are also used in very different ways; Katanas are used just as a blade, while a longsword has more utility like halfswording or flipping the sword around and using the cross-guard as a hook.

For the sake of realism in your story, look up European medieval martial arts. There are plenty of sites and a bunch of youtube videoes about how swords were properly used in medieval Europe.

Namasthetu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dragonescarlata:

If they are sufficient experts they will not be hindered by a longsword though it would take a while to become proficient enough to use the thrusting motions properly. It also depends on their experience. A modern Kendo practioner is going to fiddle with other swords generally. 14th century Japanese Samurai is another matter. I know your novel is fantasy and may not be set on earth, but no matter where you go, martial artists love to share their knowledge (even when they aren't supposed to). You also need to take into account if they have other weapons training. The broader their knowledge, the less hindered they will be.

dragonescarlata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you guys, as I said before, this was really bothering me, so I appreciate all your opinions and I'm taking all of them into account. :-D

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

maybe

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3