Conservatives vs The Environment

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/04/30/1205911/-Conservatives-less-likely-to-buy-same-lightbulbs-if-you-tell-them-it-will-help-the-environment#

A study out Monday in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences examined attitudes about energy efficiency in liberals and conservatives, and found that promoting energy-efficient products and services on the basis of their environmental benefits actually turned conservatives off from picking them. The researchers first quizzed participants on how much they value various benefits of energy efficiency, including reducing carbon emissions, reducing foreign oil dependence, and reducing how much consumers pay for energy; cutting emissions appealed to conservatives the least.

The study then presented participants with a real-world choice: With a fixed amount of money in their wallet, respondents had to “buy” either an old-school lightbulb or an efficient compact florescent bulb (CFL), the same kind Bachmann railed against. Both bulbs were labeled with basic hard data on their energy use, but without a translation of that into climate pros and cons. When the bulbs cost the same, and even when the CFL cost more, conservatives and liberals were equally likely to buy the efficient bulb. But slap a message on the CFL’s packaging that says “Protect the Environment,” and “we saw a significant drop-off in more politically moderates and conservatives choosing that option,” said study author Dena Gromet, a researcher at the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Business.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

You know that many of this thing are actually myths, so the people who wins money with this products justify sell a worst product in a higher price.

Follow the money trail, the money never lies, not like the liberals and greenpeace.

Its always about the money.

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Environment without prep loses

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#5  Edited By Extremis

I think it has to do with protecting the environment having a negative connotation for conservatives. It's like a small way for them to admit that they harm the environment (every living human does) and they refuse to do so. Buying something that says "Protect the environment" would mean them having to assume there's been harm done to it by humans and some utterly refuse to accept this fact.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, it could be this ridiculous notion I seem to have come across where some people actually think it is lame to protect the environment. Some people may actually avoid protecting the environment or avoid being seen that way because its uncool or something. Kind of like those who poke fun at people for driving Prius' or energy efficient cars. It's like alright, then they go and hop in their gas guzzling dually truck (which isn't doing us any favors, and is highly debatable whether they need a truck, dually or not, being a schoolteacher and all) and negate all the positive impact that Prius driver was trying to make.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Environment without prep loses

Poor environment, it really stood no chance against the Conservatives. Maybe I'll give them Swamp Thing.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis said:

Also, it could be this ridiculous notion I seem to have come across where some people actually think it is lame to protect the environment. Some people may actually avoid protecting the environment or avoid being seen that way because its uncool or something. Kind of like those who poke fun at people for driving Prius' or energy efficient cars. It's like alright, then they go and hop in their gas guzzling dually truck (which isn't doing us any favors, and is highly debatable whether they need a truck, dually or not, being a schoolteacher and all) and negate all the positive impact that Prius driver was trying to make.

Sorry dude, but Siddhartha Gautama aka Buda, say you will hurt the world, is part of life, you should try to dodge this as much as you can, but if nature tell you to eat meat and release carbon dioxide, that mean is not immoral or wrong, also it said it was immoral try to make people follow your ideas and belive you know everything.

Also many of this people are inhuman against humans, you could see many of the founder members of Greenpeace talking crap about Greenpeace and say they try to make money from myths and lies people belive.

Buddhism = A More Natural Way to Live and Modern Too With a Human Spirit.

Sure we cause damage, so does the rest of living things, the only way to stop this is dying, deny your own humanity and hurt others or yourself is immoral.

The biggest myth is that humans cause 1% of the carbon dioxide in the world, the fact is that humans only cause .48% of carbon dioxide, we cause less damage that insects, but amasingly we belive we can destroy the world, against every single evidence.

Loading Video...

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, an expert of notice how people gets rich by making people feel guilty, making them feel that being human is a bad thing, that being alive is bad and the need of people on being part of something, people will belive anything you tell them to make them feel special.

Also there is more insects your house, that humans all over the earth, is not hard to make the numbers.

Loading Video...

I am not telling is not rea, people belive i say thatl, i am telling most of the thing people do to stop this, is making rich many people and it never helps to save the earth, but people does it, because well is what is getting told it will save the earth, i belive in Global Warming, i see it, but i dont belive in this, humans will make earth explode like if we build the Deathstar or we will live in Kamino.

You could notice most of this laws and things they tell you will save the world, is pseudo science at his best, but is making millions and millions of green money.

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is one of the reasons I hate living in America.

TronHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

Conservatives actually think about things rather than blindly follow catchy soundbytes like liberal sheep do.

Have you noticed that liberals all tend to say the same thing?

Liberals memorize 'facts' and thing that they are intelligent.

Liberals also fail to think deeply about why environmentalists try so hard to control every aspect of people's lives.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

@willpayton said:

Are you an expert in climate science?

No, an expert of notice how people gets rich by making people feel guilty...

Not an expert... got it. Also, no source for your numbers... check.

Now, please feel free to continue talking about insects and the Death Star, or whatever it is you're on about.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000:

Sorry dude, but Siddhartha Gautama aka Buda, say you will hurt the world, is part of life, you should try to dodge this as much as you can, but if nature tell you to eat meat and release carbon dioxide, that mean is not immoral or wrong, also it said it was immoral try to make people follow your ideas and belive you know everything.

As I've already noted, and if you read my post (which it seems you haven't), the very fact that humans exist dictates that we will hurt the environment. It's interesting you say that Buddha says this so then it must be true. Actually, it's true because scientists and experts who know more about it than me or you have said so. So, even though you seem to realize this point its for the wrong reason. Anyway, moving on...

Then you say this garbage which I underlined from your reply. Right here you seem to contradict yourself as you say we should try to minimize our negative impacts but then somehow say nature says we should release carbon dioxide so, oh well, its not immoral actually. Wtf does that garbage you spew even mean?

It's interesting you should mention that it is immoral to make people follow your ideas and believe them as I am an atheist and anti-theist, so everything you've just said to me about the environment (interpreted with Buddhist thought) just makes you a hypocrite and seem like a total idiot to me. Buddha knew nothing about global climate change, and obviously neither do you. You seem like another person confused by the morality indoctrinated by their religion. It's sad, really, that religion has subjugated you to the point of a complete inability to think logically. You should read more books that are not religious texts and maybe listen to some experts on the subject.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as what actual experts in climate science think...

http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus

Ninety-seven percent of climate scientists agree that climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities, and most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position.

Conservatives actually think about things rather than blindly follow catchy soundbytes like liberal sheep do.

LOL... funny. That must be why the GOP was labelled as "The Stupid Party" by one of its own, because of all the "thinking" that they do. Or maybe that's why Rush Limbaugh's fans are called "Ditto-Heads". That must be why conservative states rank lowest in math and science education, and are the most religious. Yeah, because of all the "thinking" that they do.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as what actual experts in climate science think...

http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus

Ninety-seven percent of climate scientists agree that climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities, and most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position.

@hammertron said:

LOL... funny. That must be why the GOP was labelled as "The Stupid Party" by one of its own, because of all the "thinking" that they do. Or maybe that's why Rush Limbaugh's fans are called "Ditto-Heads". That must be why conservative states rank lowest in math and science education, and are the most religious. Yeah, because of all the "thinking" that they do.

^^this

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@extremis: Awww I miss Christopher Hitchens....... I was bummed out when he passed away.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By DH69

guess im a conservative when it comes to the enviroment...who am i kidding...i hate nature...

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis: Awww I miss Christopher Hitchens....... I was bummed out when he passed away.

Yeah :(

Wish Hitch was still around today. It's always terrible for humanity to lose such a great voice of reason.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis: Stop this moral panic, most of people got in this by the fact their read books about it, read studies online and gets facts from other people, is any one here an expert on this subject?.

No.

People gets into everybody who is at least a little skeptical about this or dont belive is wrong, also, you hear you pretty much said you would belive any thing a scientist and expert tell you is the truth, it must be the truth and there is no way they will be wrong, that is called Faith, i am skeptical about Religion as muchs as i am to Science, my skeptical way of life tell me to look if some one wins money with things, is obvious some one wins money with all the moral panics.

Also, Buddhism saddly get many of his ideas like Christianity, from guys that came later, not from the guy that created their morallity, many of this thing arent even Buddhism or Christianity at all, some people just use this to sell their ideas.

Also, i am agnostic, this is based on the fact i am skeptical, atheism means i have to belive something without any type of evidence, that God or Gods arent real, because there is no evidence of this.

Also i read a bunch of books about Psychology, people need to belive in something, i belive i the power of the mind and how it controls people life.

This is a moral panic, like when people belive comic book could make you gay, gay mariage will destroy families, illegal immigrant will destroy the health system, is people using scape goats to this problem.

Dont mean that the problem is not real, it means people get this out of proportions.

Loading Video...

He is not the only founder of Greenpeace that decide to leave, i used to be part of many of this groups, until i notice they leave and many older emmeber decide this to do this too, i leave after i watch, that i was the only in this for helping people.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have you noticed that liberals all tend to say the same thing?

Liberals memorize 'facts' and thing that they are intelligent.

Liberals also fail to think deeply about why environmentalists try so hard to control every aspect of people's lives.

Generalization overload.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

This is sad, but not surprising. I once knew a woman who refused to recycle because she thought it was a ploy for the "liberal agenda." On the other hand, my ultra conservative ultra religious grandmother says that not recycling is a sin. So I suppose there are all types.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#24 SC  Moderator

Conservatives really honestly do actually think about things rather than ignorantly following the repetitive baa's of big sheep like the little liberal sheep do, herded by the outrageously deviant blind sheepherder liberal who probably hits conservatives with jars of preservatives. Baa sheep, baa, baa like the zombie wildlife you are. Foolishly believe Colbert's satire of satire isn't actually an endorsement of conservatives.

Do you people noticed that liberals all tend to say the same thing? Blah blah blah. Also do you people notice that liberals never wash their hands? Or cover their noses when they sneeze?

Liberal sheep memorize 'facts' and things like "knowledge" and "truth" and "reasons" after being supposedly "educated" at places of "education" "supposedly" "trying" to be "fair" and "objective" and "honest" "without" any "sort" of "agenda" or "bias" that they think are signs of intellect.

Liberals also fall victim to not being able to think deeply about why environmentalists try so hard to control every aspect of people's lives. This is why conservatives tried to ban critical thinking in some places to avoid those liberal baa baah waah waah liberals from having brain explosions because they can't - too much hard for them.

Liberals touch baby animals in the park inappropriately. Being sheep is not permission to act like a sheep.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Extremis

@deathpoolthet1000:

People gets into everybody who is at least a little skeptical about this or dont belive is wrong, also, you hear you pretty much said you would belive any thing a scientist and expert tell you is the truth, it must be the truth and there is no way they will be wrong, that is called Faith

First I never said I believe anything a scientist says. But in the end you intrepret the accepted theory, weigh what the experts know, you consider the facts, and then you have a pretty sound conclusion. It's called reason. The faith you speak of is unquestioning devotion to some omnipotent power. This idea of which you seem unable to fully release yourself from.

I should also point out that YOU are the one talking about Buddha when we are trying to talk about global climate change. You are the one who refuses to look at the facts. It is widely accepted in the scientific community that global climate change is happening. Too bad if you don't like it, it's real. You can call yourself an agnostic all you want, any moron who brings up Buddha when talking about science is a damn fool.

Also i read a bunch of books about Psychology, people need to belive in something, i belive i the power of the mind and how it controls people life.

What psychology books are you reading that say someone has to believe in something? People most certainly do not. Such a notion is offensive to intelligent people like myself who know a life exists outside of some religious or philosophical dogma that says you MUST believe in this or that humans MUST be controlled. Shame on you! This idea that you cling to which says people need to believe in something and how you believe the power of the mind CONTROLS people's lives, once again makes me think you can only cling to the same notion that religion offers - mostly your own subjugation.

i am skeptical about Religion as muchs as i am to Science

You're skeptical about science?... LOL Like as to the ability of it to describe the physical world around us?? What about science has you scratching your head? (By the way that was a rhetorical question, you don't have to answer it. And by 'don't have to' I mean you really shouldn't. Stop while you're ahead, you're only embarrassing yourself further.)

Avatar image for cezar_thescribe
Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Conservatives are not against the environment. Well, not all of them.

We could start using more kenaf and hemp for products. That would be a good start.
Cutting down too many trees is detrimental to the environment.

Also, glass is better than plastic. Glass

Loading Video...

GunGunW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By GunGunW

This is why politics don't belong on ComicVine

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc said:

Conservatives really honestly do actually think about things rather than ignorantly following the repetitive baa's of big sheep like the little liberal sheep do, herded by the outrageously deviant blind sheepherder liberal who probably hits conservatives with jars of preservatives. Baa sheep, baa, baa like the zombie wildlife you are. Foolishly believe Colbert's satire of satire isn't actually an endorsement of conservatives.

Do you people noticed that liberals all tend to say the same thing? Blah blah blah. Also do you people notice that liberals never wash their hands? Or cover their noses when they sneeze?

Liberal sheep memorize 'facts' and things like "knowledge" and "truth" and "reasons" after being supposedly "educated" at places of "education" "supposedly" "trying" to be "fair" and "objective" and "honest" "without" any "sort" of "agenda" or "bias" that they think are signs of intellect.

Liberals also fall victim to not being able to think deeply about why environmentalists try so hard to control every aspect of people's lives. This is why conservatives tried to ban critical thinking in some places to avoid those liberal baa baah waah waah liberals from having brain explosions because they can't - too much hard for them.

Liberals touch baby animals in the park inappropriately. Being sheep is not permission to act like a sheep.

Glenn Beck, is that you!?

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SC  Moderator

@extremis said:

@sc said:

President Emperor Tyrant Overlord Barack Osama Hitler Palpatine Skeletor Gargamel Dawkings Hitchens Devil Worshipping Fella Bro Man and your illegal wire tapping services to find out who I really am is that you?!!!??!?!?!??

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc said:

@extremis said:

@sc said:

President Emperor Tyrant Overlord Barack Osama Hitler Palpatine Skeletor Gargamel Dawkings Hitchens Devil Worshipping Fella Bro Man and your illegal wire tapping services to find out who I really am is that you?!!!??!?!?!??

No Caption Provided

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very amusing thread. :)

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SC  Moderator

@extremis:

Please stop posting highly erotic pornographic pictures of me watching myself watching me in a mirror as I make love to myself watching me. There may be woman and gay men around who might watch me watching me as they think of me making love to myself as they watch me and they may get some ideas. Excuse what may seem to be crying, I am a passionate lover and I just can't help it.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc said:

@extremis:

Please stop posting highly erotic pornographic pictures of me watching myself watching me in a mirror as I make love to myself watching me. There may be woman and gay men around who might watch me watching me as they think of me making love to myself as they watch me and they may get some ideas. Excuse what may seem to be crying, I am a passionate lover and I just can't help it.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc said:

Damn, I couldnt stop laughing while reading this. Nice.

Now, enough time wasted on CV, there's baby animals out there that need to be touched inappropriately. I'm on the job!

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By willpayton

i am skeptical about Religion as muchs as i am to Science

When you type on your computer, are you skeptical about quantum physics? When you fly on an airplane, are you skeptical about aerodynamics? When you go to the doctor, are you skeptical about chemistry or biology? Why is skepticism about science, which has proven itself over hundreds of years, on the same level as skepticism about religion, which has proven over thousands of years that it's completely ineffective at telling us anything meaningful about how the universe works? Seem like extremely indiscriminate skepticism.

is any one here an expert on this subject?.

Probably not. Nevertheless, as I already pointed out, 97% of climate scientists... you know, the experts on the subject... agree that climate change is happening and is likely due to human activities. So, if by your own admission you're not an expert, what makes you think that you're qualified to come here and say that they are wrong? What makes you qualified to make judgements on what levels of CO2 in the atmosphere mean for global climate? Did you take some kind of pill that instantly makes you an expert on subjects you've never studied? If so, where do I get some? Are they expensive? Can you hook me up with your dealer? Thanks in advance dude!

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#36  Edited By thespideyguy

The reason we don't care about the environment isn't because there is a problem.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/02/12/ozone-hole-shrinks-to-record-low/

We also have 200 years of natural gas stored up so that isn't a problem. The earth has always cooled and frozen over time. If this starts taking away our rights as a consumer ( http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx?post=596cfbbe-d977-4ad8-b4d3-8b2e5284a3fd) and impeaching on the principles of free enterprise (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/free+enterprise) then there is a problem.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the answer is obvious -- everyone should watch Fox News. It's a credible and valid source of rock solid investigative journalism, providing information in an objective and concise manner thereby allowing its viewers to process reports (in fact - ENCOURAGES and EXPECTS them) to think for themselves.

Reuters, eat your heart out.

InnerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bunch of dipshits if you ask me

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis said:

I think the answer is obvious -- everyone should watch Fox News. It's a credible and valid source of rock solid investigative journalism, providing information in an objective and concise manner thereby allowing its viewers to process reports (in fact - ENCOURAGES and EXPECTS them) to think for themselves.

Reuters, eat your heart out.

Love it when people get their news and arguments about science from Fox News. LOL...

FableCounty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...