Comicdude23 on: The Dark Knight Rises

Avatar image for deactivated-60d8e8271946e
deactivated-60d8e8271946e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Ever since 2008's 'The Dark Knight', I've had extremely high expectations for the next installment. Well, after 4 years of eager anticipation, it's safe to say that Christopher Nolan's 'The Dark Knight Rises' has successfully lived up to it's hype. Now I will be honest, the movie had it's flaws but I'd have to mention spoilers so I won't get into that.

Basically, this movie is a masterpiece. Truly the ending us fans deserved, the movie is heavily based on the story-lines ''The Dark Knight Returns'', ''Knightfall'', ''Legacy'' and ''No Man's Land''. Nolan brilliantly blends all of these stories with his own ideas and creates a highly enjoyable movie.

No Caption Provided

Whilst this was a spectacular conclusion, I have to say that the first 30 minutes were rushed. There has been an 8 year gap from ''The Dark Knight'' and we see a broken Bruce Wayne, but about 20 minutes later he's Batman again. I'd be lying if I said I liked that, I wanted to see Bruce build himself THEN let him become Batman. After all, the movie had 3 hours so they had more than enough time to build Batman's return. However, Batman's comeback was pretty kick-ass and enjoyable. The thing we do see is that Batman wasn't in the best condition even when he returns, his first fight with Bane was a complete rape. Very brutal fight. Moving on.....

Christian Bale gave us the best performance as Bruce Wayne/Batman that I've seen so far. Wayne in ''Batman Begins'' had to deal with fear, in ''The Dark Knight'' he had to deal with chaos. But in ''The Dark Knight Rises'' he had to deal with pain. Without revealing too much, the Wayne we see in this movie is broken, both physically and mentally. Since Rachel's death in the previous movie, the legend has fallen. Bitter, alone and distraught, this is Wayne at his worst. Having given up the Cape and Cowl in ''The Dark Knight'', Wayne simply could not move on. Bale really gave an emotional performance as a broken man. As the film progresses, he get's stronger and learns to fight his pain. Trust me on this, Batman does rise both physically and mentally. The transformation of a broken man back into Batman was very well done in this movie. Bale really did impress me with his character here.

No Caption Provided

However he wasn't my favorite part of the movie. I'd have to say that it was Tom Hardy's Bane!

No Caption Provided

Tom Hardy was a pure bad-ass. He was pure evil, you could see the evil in his eyes. He was seriously a scary guy. He definitely portrayed a more intimidating Bane than the one we saw in ''Batman and Robin''. Bane really didn't have a clear motive here however he was very imposing and definitely a physical match for Batman, it was shown that he was physically superior to Batman. Bane was easily the smartest villain we've seen in the Nolan movies, everything he did was carefully planned out. He was a tactical genius, and systematically broke down Gotham City. I felt that he was a bit under-developed and a little less interesting than Heath Ledger's Joker but the life Hardy put into was great. Bane's voice was altered in the movie, it's not what we saw in the trailers and prologue. He sounded more polite in the final version, but I got past that. But it was clear and understandable for me, for others it was not.

Hathaway surprised me with her performance and really captured the sassy, sexy portrayal. She was all that I hoped for, I'd put her ahead of Pfeiffer. And the rest of the cast was brilliant, Michael Caine as always was magnificent but was largely left out of the latter half of the movie. Joseph Gordon Levitt was very likable and an ideal cop, he had a very interesting character, Morgan Freeman and Gary Oldman were again magnificent as always, though more could have been done with them, they did a good job. Though I will say, Oldman did a good job on portraying that cop that couldn't move on. It's clearly shown that he too has struggled to move past the events of ''The Dark Knight''.

No Caption Provided

The tone of the movie was definitely lighter than the previous installments. Which is something I didn't like, the tone could have been set grittier and a little darker. Though as a stand alone the movie was dark, that's for sure. The thing about this movie is it is a War movie, simple as that. This movie has a-lot more action than the previous movies, the fight scenes have also been improved and so has Batman's fighting style.

The plot was a bit weaker than the previous Nolan installments but the acting, tone and style helped ''fix'' that. Nolan's Batman films have been known to be realistic but this is easily the least realistic. That was a big weakness IMHO, though I accepted it, Nolan's realistic vision was pretty much thrown in the toilet.

What I did notice is that this was closer to ''Batman Begins'' than ''The Dark Knight'', so many elements such as The ''League of Shadows'', etc was used. As ''The Dark Knight'' was more of a crime-thriller than a super-hero movie. Was this better than ''The Dark Knight''? Despite the praise I've given this film I'm gonna say no, but this surpasses ''Batman Begins'' and nearly reaches ''The Dark Knight''.

Overall, I loved this movie. It had it's flaws but it was a spectacular conclusion.

I'm giving it a 9.5/10.

My ratings for the trilogy:

• Batman Begins - 9/10
  • The Dark Knight - 10/10
  • The Dark Knight Rises - 9.5/10
isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By isaac_clarke

@comicdude23 said:

Truly the ending us fans deserved,

but not the one we need right now.

Eventually I will see this movie - just thinking that might be a few months from now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isaac_clarke said:

@comicdude23 said:

Truly the ending us fans deserved,

but not the one we need right now.

Eventually I will see this movie - just thinking that might be a few months from now.

Why wait a few months?

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By isaac_clarke

@comicdude23 said:

Why wait a few months?

Same reason I still haven't watched the Amazing Spiderman - lacking in motivation / don't care enough to go to the theater and watch either of them. That doesn't necassarily mean I won't see them eventually - just right now it's a "meh" feeling.

Hopefully it will rock my socks when I do.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh it will. I really got sucked into the movie.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Deranged Midget

Good review and interesting points made. I didn't like it as much as I wanted to but that's my opinion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks. Some people really didn't like but some people didn't want to like itzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I respect your opinion but what did you like and not like?

The_Thunderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By The_Thunderer

@Deranged Midget said:

Good review and interesting points made. I didn't like it as much as I wanted to but that's my opinion.

this

daak1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By daak1212

Plot holes.

Avatar image for seederbeedrejsh
seederbeedrejsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By seederbeedrejsh

much better then that glorified cgi fest the avengers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Glitch_Spawn said:

Nicely written. As well covered as any non-spoiler review could be. I loved this film almost totally except for one gripe that would be a spoiler lol.

Thanks.

@seederbeedrejsh said:

much better then that glorified cgi fest the avengers

Yeah, that's overrated as hell.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Deranged Midget said:

How hyped were you?

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#15  Edited By TheCannon

You rank the films too high. The Dark Knight does not deserve 10/10. No movie does.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheCannon said:

You rank the films too high. The Dark Knight does not deserve 10/10. No movie does.

Why doesn't it?

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By buttersdaman000
@comicdude23 said:

@TheCannon said:

Why doesn't it?

.....because its not perfect.
TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheCannon

@comicdude23 said:

@TheCannon said:

Why doesn't it?

Because it implies perfection. Nothing is perfect. I could understand a 9/10. But nothing deserves 10/10.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: @TheCannon: But that's the thing. We all have different opinions and IMO it was.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Deranged Midget

@comicdude23: Not even remotely close to how excited I was for the Avengers, ASM or the other two films for that matter.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheCannon

@comicdude23 said:

@buttersdaman000: @TheCannon: But that's the thing. We all have different opinions and IMO it was.

IT was not perfect. Nothing is. I wouldn't even give the Avengers a 10/10. Nothing deserves to be that high.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Deranged Midget said:

@comicdude23: Not even remotely close to how excited I was for the Avengers, ASM or the other two films for that matter.

Why? And TASM? Really?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheCannon said:

@comicdude23 said:

IT was not perfect. Nothing is. I wouldn't even give the Avengers a 10/10. Nothing deserves to be that high.

Well that's your opinion. Mine is different, I like to keep my mind open. If I think nothing will be perfect then it never will be.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By Lvenger

@Deranged Midget said:

@Deranged Midget said:

@comicdude23: Not even remotely close to how excited I was for the Avengers

These two things. The idea behind the Avengers of linking the films together so that they all existed in the same universe culminating in all the heroes meeting each other and joining forces to fight a threat too big for any one of them to defeat. We've had plenty of superhero films and a series of Batman films before the Nolan films but Marvel's latest films are setting a much higher standard of comic book films through the innovation of continuity or coexistence of characters, in other words setting up a Marvel cinematic universe. The Marvel films have flaws but so does the Nolan trilogy. I'd only give all the films 4 out of 5 at best.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lvenger: TBH, Avengers was good but not as good as TDKR. It was rushed IMO.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By Lvenger

@comicdude23 said:

@Lvenger: TBH, Avengers was good but not as good as TDKR. It was rushed IMO.

The way I see it, you can't compare the Avengers and TDKR. They're both different films that are good for different reasons. The Avengers is a more true to comic book film that blends action, humour and playing the heroes off against each other. TDKR is more serious, realistic and gritty amongst other things. Comparing the Avengers and TDKR is like comparing apples and oranges. Both taste great but for different reasons. Unless you don't like apples or oranges but I'm getting off topic. What I will say though is that firstly I was more excited about the Avengers than TDKR. Secondly, when it comes down to which film I would watch, I'd pick the Avengers every time. TDKR has a slow start and the plot drags at times. With the Avengers, things are always moving in terms of the plot.

Avatar image for vercingetorixthegreat
VercingetorixTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the beginning was absolutely perfect and it continued up until the fight between the cops and the prisoners.

1. Bane went out like a chump and his final battle wasn't dramatic enough

2. Made Bane a henchman by the end of the movie

3. Bane should have been the kid to escape not talia

4. Talia was not needed

5.Anne Hathaway was good but not great (I don't really like catwoman so that contributes to this) not sexy enough

6. Batman should have died this was Nolan's last film and I feel like it needed an emotional knockout at the end (though whenever Alfred talked he had incredible emotion)

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#28  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Blackgate being in the center of Gotham was absolutely ludicrous.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Omega Ray Jay: Small things like that didn't really bug me.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Deranged Midget

@comicdude23 said:

@Deranged Midget said:

Why? And TASM? Really?

Why was I not that excited? Because I knew nothing Nolan did could top Heath Ledger's performance in TDK.

Is there something wrong with me preferring TASM and Avengers over TDKR? Spider-man is my single favourite super-hero alongside Superman. It was a fresh new take on the origin story with a slightly darker twist and that caught my attention.

ratman19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ratman19

i dont believe the avengers was a true comic book film. i dont read avengers comics but i highly doubt that there are one-liners on every panel to make up for lack of a suspenful compelling plot. I know the comics i read dont do that. i think ASM is a true comic book film it stayed closer to the comics than the Avengers and it had a darker more interesting storyline.