Collecting Older Key Issue Comics vs Original Art Pages

Raven0207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

Edited By Raven0207

I have been a collector of comics for over 15 years to the point that I have at times thought about opening a comic shop. Over the last few years as I have become friends with a few comic artist I have taken up collecting some comic pages from comics and original pieces artist have done for me. Only problem is both of these hobbies if I keep continuing are going to break the bank. Love collecting both but sooner or later as both collections grow I'm going to have to choose one or the other and I have no clue which one I'm going to choose. What does the people of CV think about the subject.

Baron_Emo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Baron_Emo

I have considered that if I ever came into a lot of money, I would consider not just collecting key issues, but original art pages.  

But if you are thinking of opening a shop, why not purchase both and sell to collectors online? This could be a supplementary business to the brick and mortar shop with current books, back issues ect.

Raven0207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Raven0207

I have thought about that. Collecting both to sell both. The only thing that has stopped me from opening a shop is the shop owner I buy most of my books from Shelton Drum (owner of Heroes Aren't Hard to Find). I have spoken to him about this before and pretty much he has talked me out of it for the most part. i have enough to do it but it is the sacrfice of time to do it and I don't think my wife will like that too much. We love to travel.

Right now I have been focusing more on OA and Comic pages. I actually just sold one of my copies of Avengers #1 to fund a few pages. But I'm to the point of where I don't know which I love more.

Baron_Emo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Baron_Emo

I have been to his show in Charlotte this past year. It was excellent.  

I would like the original art and pages more, I think. I enjoy collecting and reading my back issues, but I feel that collecting the art is the next step.

Raven0207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Raven0207

Shelton is a great guy. I've known him for 10+ years and consider him a good friend. He likes me collecting comics more than art but I just can't figure out why LOL!

Baron_Emo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Baron_Emo

Lol