#1 Posted by RogueShadow (12009 posts) - - Show Bio

Just the thought of RDJ sat next to Chris Evans' corpse saying

'It wasn't worth it'

gives me goosebumps.

#2 Edited by Black_Claw (3112 posts) - - Show Bio

Would be interesting but I doubt it'll happen.

#3 Edited by JonSmith (4010 posts) - - Show Bio

Given Tony's response and opinion of the government at the beginning of Iron Man 2, I can't see him heading the Registration Act like in the comics. And they'd have to build up a LOT more heroes to justify it. I'd say they could do it by reversing the order of certain events in the comics: Rather than Civil War first, have World War Hulk.

The 'Council' from Avengers blasts Hulk into space, Planet Hulk, he comes back ticked, World War Hulk commences. He decimates all the heroes who have thus far stepped up in the movies, trashes New York even more than the Chitauri Invasion, and this convinces Tony that people like Bruce have to be registered.

Also, imagine if they start off the 'Civil War' movie with Robert Downey Jr.'s Tony Stark holding a press conference, and telling them that as a sign of support for the Registration Act, a well known hero has agreed to unmask. The hero in question? Andrew Garfield's Spider-man, who steps onto the stage and reveals he's Peter Parker.

#4 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith: You had mw til you said peter Parker

#5 Posted by JediXMan (31321 posts) - - Show Bio

If done well and over the course of years of character development... could be good.

#6 Posted by JonSmith (4010 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725 said:

You had me til you said peter Parker

Eh, I'm merely saying Andrew Garfield's Spider-man for the sake of continuity: In order for it to be the surprise I'd imagine, there couldn't be a new series of Spider-man movies, they'd just bring in the current run, i.e., The Amazing Spider-man movies. Bringing in a new actor to play Spider-man for that moment would bring a ton of questions with him, like how long he's been a hero, and where he's been, etc. While I personally would prefer Josh Keaton playing a live action Spider-man, Andrew Garfield's acceptable.

And seriously, picture it: You don't know Spider-man's in this movie. They've covered it up. You're sitting in a theater for Civil War. It opens to the press conference, Robert Downey Jr. in full Iron Man armor, holding his helmet and explaining the whole unmasking thing. He states a hero has agreed to reveal his identity at this conference, and onto the stage steps... a fully costumed Spider-man, who steps up to the mike, and unmasks. Tell me that wouldn't be awesome.

#7 Posted by RogueShadow (12009 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith: Actually I was thinking WWH would be a Hulk film and could precede Civil War. If we say RDJ can play Tony until a maximum of 58 [In my opinion] there's ten years to develop him and all of these characters to hell. Also Tony at this stage also disagree with sending Banner into space in my opinion.

Plus read this, I don't agree with all of it, but it's cool.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Taloc11/news/?a=69510

#8 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith: it would be a milestone but I only say that bexause getting him there would be like moving Heaven & Earth

#9 Posted by TexasDingo (244 posts) - - Show Bio

#10 Edited by texasdeathmatch (13122 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish Marvel made as many animated features as DC does. Someone should notify their AV team that motion comics are super lame.

But this could be a cool animated movie.

#11 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith said:

Given Tony's response and opinion of the government at the beginning of Iron Man 2, I can't see him heading the Registration Act like in the comics.

Sure, he's all anti-authority now, but seeing something traumatic like Stamford could change his tune. A traumatic experience is what made him switch to Iron Man mode in the first place, remember.

#12 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

There is just too much in Civil War for it to be done in one movie and considering the cast, it would be too difficult to wield so many A-listers to commit to a series of films.

It would be great, but I can't see it happening.

#13 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

There is just too much in Civil War for it to be done in one movie and considering the cast, it would be too difficult to wield so many A-listers to commit to a series of films.

It would be great, but I can't see it happening.

#14 Posted by RogueShadow (12009 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: Sorry I didn't put it in the OP, I saw it as a trilogy or at least two films. It'll probably never happen, but I can dream.

#15 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7869 posts) - - Show Bio

Wouldn't sell.

#16 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow:

It would be pretty cool. Just to see other superheros get a couple of moments of screen time would be worth it to me. **sigh**

#17 Posted by RogueShadow (12009 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by RogueShadow (12009 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by War Killer (20293 posts) - - Show Bio

The Civil War storyline wouldn't work in the current MCU as all of the superheroes identities are known to the government, heck most of them like Cap, Hawkeye, Black Widow, and even Iron Man to a certain extent already work for S.H.I.E.L.D. Even if they introduced other characters like Spider-Man, Daredevil, Luke Cage, etc. into the universe it still wouldn't have as much effect. The major difference between the cinematic universe and comic one also is the fact that in the comics superheroes would be fighting a random villain at least once a month, maybe less, which leads to more property damage, people getting hurt, and so on. Where as in the cinematic universe there only seems to be a super-villain attack maybe once a year or at least every six months, and the damages resulting in said attacks are minimal at best (excluding Avengers). So far there just isn't a need for the SHRA in the MCU currently, maybe in a decade if Marvel manages to expand on their movie universe they could look into the storyline, but at this point the universe just doesn't call for it.

#20 Posted by Satomi (186 posts) - - Show Bio

I want!

#21 Posted by RogueShadow (12009 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer: Obviously, but the whole point of plot is that it pushes the story and characters forwards,like you said they could widen the universe over say the next ten years, and when it finally comes to let it go, go out with a bang, the Civil War. I'm not saying they could just bring it out in 2015, more like 2022. Plus, there are possible hints at it in my opinion, I always found it strange how Loki stabs Thor and the knife stays on Stark tower. Possible Thor Clone?

#22 Posted by War Killer (20293 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer: Obviously, but the whole point of plot is that it pushes the story and characters forwards,like you said they could widen the universe over say the next ten years, and when it finally comes to let it go, go out with a bang, the Civil War. I'm not saying they could just bring it out in 2015, more like 2022. Plus, there are possible hints at it in my opinion, I always found it strange how Loki stabs Thor and the knife stays on Stark tower. Possible Thor Clone?

I'm just trying to look at from a more logical stance as we're not even guaranteed the MCU will still be around in ten years from now, it honestly is relying on how well movies like Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man do at the box office that will determine what kind of movies we will be expecting in the coming years as Marvel movies forward. But like I said before, currently the Civil War storyline doesn't fit in this universe with these characters, even by 2020 I don't see that changing much. Sure they may introduce a few lesser known characters like Daredevil and Luke Cage, or like other highly demanded characters like Black Panther and Doctor Strange, I still don't believe that having those characters will be enough to generate enough momentum to push a story like Civil War.

The whole point of the story was the fact that there were literally hundreds of heroes all over the place, all with great and dangerous powers, who no matter where you looked were in some big battle with the random villain of the week. The problem is that even if you introduce a group of new characters, it still wouldn't have the same impact on screen as it did in the comics because the demand for a Super-Human Registration Act isn't there. Most heroes work for or with the government already and even for those who don't (like Spider-Man, Daredevil, Luke Cage, etc.) they only battle villains maybe one a year (six months tops) so there again the demand for these heroes, who rarely do anything other than stop a bank robbery every few weeks, just doesn't seem necessary.

I do agree there are hints, there was a one in Avengers when the mayor of New York was asking for accountability out the heroes for the damage done to the city. But still even there it's not like there's an alien invasion every time you turn around, that was really like a one-time deal and wasn't as frequent as we see in the comics. So again, while I can see Marvel playing around with the idea, I just see the need for the storyline at this moment or even the near future.

#23 Edited by RogueShadow (12009 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer: I can appreciate that opinion, I'm just saying of the possible comic story-lines they could integrate into the MCU, this would be my favourite. And I definitely think they could introduce enough characters to bring weight to the story, and propel the idea of many superheroes and villains existing, as I said the best method to do this would be agents of shield, assuming Marvel are ambitious enough to really weave a tapestry, and create a true 'Universe', which could span 30 films + I think if Guardians of the Galaxy does well, I could definitely see them introducing more B and C Listers into the continuity. I concur it would be a massive and risky undertaking, but they've proven their willing to take chances by making the MCU in the first place. And if they could merge with other companies, to add Spidey, Fantastic Four, etc. Then wow, Civil War could make a badass few films and they would obviously make money. [I admit, I'm very optimistic in pretty much all of these possibilities]

#24 Edited by War Killer (20293 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow: Oh no doubt it would be a great story and I believe that is one of the main focus of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is to introduce lesser known characters who can't hold their own film, but can still be interesting characters. While I'm still doubtful about seeing a Civil War adaptation anytime soon, I do see Marvel expanding their cinematic universe in the years to come. I've already come to realize that really, I believe Guardians of the Galaxy will be a great movie and could open the doors for more cosmic Marvel movies, I personally feel that a lot is riding on Ant-Man and if it will be successful. I know people have complained about how Ant-Man of all characters is getting his own movie, when Black Panther or Doctor Strange would be a better choice in terms of popularity. But I look at in that if Ant-Man, a character that is looked upon at by Marvel fans as Aquaman is for DC fans, if he can be successful as Thor or Captain America have been; if Ant-freakin'-Man can have a good movie and bring Marvel money, then they'll be willing to make movies with any character. lol

#25 Edited by RogueShadow (12009 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer: True, I think it'll be pretty good with Edgar Wright at the helm, though I do worry how well he'll fit into the MCU, I know they've altered the script, but I just hope the overall tone and the feel of the film merge well with the others, especially since he will presumably be in Avengers 3.

#26 Edited by War Killer (20293 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow said:

@war_killer: True, I think it'll be pretty good with Edgar Wright at the helm, though I do worry how well he'l fit into the MCU, I know they've altered the script, but I just hope the overall tone and the feel of the film merge well with the others, especially since he will presumably be in Avengers 3.

People have already been shown a man in a suit of armor, a warrior from another dimension, and a man who was frozen in a block of ice for 70+ years. I think at this point people can buy into the idea of a guy shrinking down into the size of an ant. As for how he can appear in Avengers, I honestly think that Marvel will stay true to the comics in how the Avengers tend to never have a set roster other than Cap, Iron Man, and Thor. I think over time they'll swap characters out, like swapping out Hawkeye for Ant-Man or Hulk for Black Panther or something, maybe bringing together heroes who specialize in whatever threat they're facing at a time. I could see them pulling a Justice League Unlimited movie, having a large assemble of heroes but only calling upon those needed to deal with a certain threat.

To me that would make sense and allow Marvel to swap out characters and give different, lesser known heroes the spotlight next to the likes of Cap and Iron Man.

#27 Posted by RogueShadow (12009 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer: I know, but Edgar Wright is pretty irreverent as directors go, I know it'll be an awesome movie, I just hope it keeps within the MCU vibe, like how the magic of Thor was portrayed as an undiscovered aspect of science. Yeah, I think Ultron as a villain for A3 would be a good slip in for Ant man's role in the avengers, he could invent him in Ant-man with Vibranium [Introduction of Black Panther implicit]. I really want to start seeing the expansion of this world, it doesn't have to be something major, just casually flying past Nelson and Murdock's or just seeing a file on Luke Cage, they don't do enough of it, the best bit was at the end of IM2 on the holographic imageshowing various parts of the world. I love that kind of stuff.I barely picked up any in Iron man 3, the only one I noticed was Ellen Brandt.

Also one thing I'm really dreading is that they replace actors, I remember reading an interview where they compared Tony Stark to James Bond and that they could swap him out just to make money, that would cheapen and ruin the films for me.

#28 Posted by War Killer (20293 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer: I know, but Edgar Wright is pretty irreverent as directors go, I know it'll be an awesome movie, I just hope it keeps within the MCU vibe, like how the magic of Thor was portrayed as an undiscovered aspect of science. Yeah, I think Ultron as a villain for A3 would be a good slip in for Ant man's role in the avengers, he could invent him in Ant-man with Vibranium [Introduction of Black Panther implicit]. I really want to start seeing the expansion of this world, it doesn't have to be something major, just casually flying past Nelson and Murdock's or just seeing a file on Luke Cage, they don't do enough of it, the best bit was at the end of IM2 on the holographic imageshowing various parts of the world. I love that kind of stuff.I barely picked up any in Iron man 3, the only one I noticed was Ellen Brandt.

Also one thing I'm really dreading is that they replace actors, I remember reading an interview where they compared Tony Stark to James Bond and that they could swap him out just to make money, that would cheapen and ruin the films for me.

Ultimately if Marvel wants to build a universe with their movies and not reboot everything they will eventually have to replace actors and actresses. Robert Downey Jr. is already pushing 50 if I'm not mistaking and, despite Marvel's efforts, he will have to leave the role sooner or later. Same with Chris Evens with Captain America or Chris Hemsworth and Thor. These characters are timeless, but sadly those portraying them are not. I don't see it as being cheap but rather realizing that these characters have a vast amount of depth to them that not just one actor or actress can express. The idea of keeping bringing in new actors to continue the role, to me, allows Marvel to inject fresh life into the same character, allowing others to give us their version of Tony Stark or Steve Rogers, while also keeping the characters themselves fresh. I mean Downey is a great actor, but he can't be Iron Man forever, eventually he will have to pass on the torch and has already mentioned this since Iron Man 3 was released. I don't see it as a negative thing, personally I look at it as I would with comics when a new creative team takes over one of my favorite titles, they're not rebooting the comic but instead picking up where the last team left off and taking the series in a new direction. Same with the movies, it isn't the end but simply a new beginning.

#29 Edited by RogueShadow (12009 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer But to just continue with another Iron-man film 2 years after his final performance would just be ridiculous, I'm not saying never reboot it, but they spoke as if they meant to just keep rehashing it and act like nothing had changed if RDJ wasn't on board, and I worry they'll just end up popping so man films over such a small space of time that it will cheapen it. I'm not saying never do Iron man after RDJ [Who's 48 I believe] but come on, wait a while. I feel similarly about the new Star Wars projects.

#30 Posted by NightCrawler358 (199 posts) - - Show Bio

If Thanos is Avengers 2, it would be hard to top that in terms of sheer cosmic scale, but if any strictly terrestrial conflict were to follow it up, Civil War would be the largest and most significant. Or an Ultron attack, but Civil War would be more interesting by far. (just need to keep introducing a bunch of heroes to fill the roles.)

#31 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (12616 posts) - - Show Bio

#32 Posted by War Killer (20293 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer But to just continue with another Iron-man film 2 years after his final performance would just be ridiculous, I'm not saying never reboot it, but they spoke as if they meant to just keep rehashing it and act like nothing had changed if RDJ wasn't on board, and I worry they'll just end up popping so man films over such a small space of time that it will cheapen it. I'm not saying never do Iron man after RDJ [Who's 48 I believe] but come on, wait a while. I feel similarly about the new Star Wars projects.

Honestly once RDJ finally ends his run as Tony Stark Marvel probably will give the Iron Man franchise a break for a few years and focus on other characters. At least that's what I would do, I mean I like Iron Man as much as the next person but I'd hate to be in the early 2020's and we already have Iron Man 9 or something. I think they'll let the character rest for a while, focus on new characters, and later down the road start discussing ways to re-introduce Iron Man with a new lead actor into the universe.

I really wouldn't mind them, after maybe doing Avengers 3, giving franchises like Avengers, Captain America, and Thor a break and focus on other characters and teams like Black Panther, Daredevil, Heroes For Hire, etc. I think that would allow them to keep their movieverse going without it getting dull and repetitive. I mean the last thing they want is people going, "Ugh, not ANOTHER Iron Man movie..." y'know? Which really I wouldn't have any issues with them giving characters a break, even with my favorite character like Captain America, after three movies give the character a break for a few years and focus on newer and lesser known characters instead for a while.

#33 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7869 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer: Can't see a JLU movie, too many people, like 60 heroes

Ant-Man wouldn't sell, honestly hence why he isn't in the movies.

@jnr6lil: It really would.

Don't think people would want to see superheroes vs superheroes, the concept would seem retarded to casual fans.

#34 Posted by War Killer (20293 posts) - - Show Bio

@jnr6lil said:

@war_killer: Can't see a JLU movie, too many people, like 60 heroes

Ant-Man wouldn't sell, honestly hence why he isn't in the movies.

I never said they should make a JLU movie, I was simply using the show as an example of how in the Marvel Cinematic Universe they could swap out members in the Avengers depending on the type of threat they were facing at the time, similar to how in Justice League they would only call upon heroes who specialized in how to defeat the certain threat. Really it fits more with Mark Millars Ultimate Comics: Avengers series which was about a S.H.I.E.L.D. black ops team under the command of Ultimate Nick Fury whose roster changed depending on the threat currently being dealt with.

As for Ant-Man, his movie has already announced, which slated for Marvel's Phase 3 in 2015, and he will most likely be in Avengers 3 following his solo film.

#35 Posted by RogueShadow (12009 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer: Yes I definitely agree, and I think this is my fault for being inarticulate, Disney/Marvel literally said Iron man could be a James Bond figure, which I think is ridiculous, he clearly can't be, I prefer your proposition immensely, I remember reading about how Dr Strange could be the new frontliner by Avengers 3, this was also from Disney [I know, directly contradictory]. I hope they do this. I think to keep recycling characters every 10 years by simple recasting is pathetic, characters need time to breathe, I never meant stop doing any character after their first on screen incarnation, I'm directly opposed to that! Lol.

Also - Avengers: Age of Ultron

ARRRHRNUVJNNVJN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

#36 Posted by War Killer (20293 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow: I just don't want them to reboot everything and start over, so I would rather see them take a break and after a few years bring in a new actor to pick up where the last one left off instead of constantly rebooting every ten years.

I don't think pulling a James Bond move with characters like Iron Man or Captain America is ridiculous, I just don't want them to run the character into the ground simply because they know they make money. I prefer quality over quantity, which is why I feel that taking breaks between characters is the best thing to do. Marvel has hundreds of great characters and the deserve to the spotlight as much as Iron Man, Thor, or Captain America.

#37 Posted by russellmania77 (15845 posts) - - Show Bio

josh whee doing civil war gives me the creeps