Christmas Comic book gift for a non-comic book reader?

EnergySlinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By EnergySlinger

So yeah. I myself have started reading comic books (Mostly Green Lantern Corps and a few other things, and of course, looking some stuff up here and there, mostly on stuff I haven't read and don't quite plan to read soon.

Now, I love comic books….

And I have a cousin who enjoys manga, homestuck, some cartoons (Like adventure time, that's one of her favorites), and a couple other kinds of stuff. Seeing as a christmas or two ago she got me full metal alchemist vol. 1 and 2 to try and get me into it, I think I'll do something similar by finding a series she might like.

She's not a heavy reader of western/american stuff, but the thought occurred to me that I should get her something this christmas, preferably something that can help her at least respect superhero comics to some degree. As it is, she's incredibly picky about movies/TV shows/etc (Try mentioning Back To the Future or Ghostbusters, or something general like those films. It would take a shit-ton of coaxing to get her to even watch five seconds before she judges it harshly).

So, I want to find a really well written series, with at least decent artwork. It HAS to be fairly modern, maybe somewhere within the last few years may do. I know for a fact my cousin isn't big on the costumes, But I figure most everything else would be fine.

Teen Titans Spotlight: Wonder Girl is my current default option for what I really want to give to her. I would like some other options though...

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By joshmightbe
No Caption Provided

Worth a read for sheer WTF factor

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SmashBrawler

Wonder Woman Vol. 1: Blood

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By minigunman123

Batman volume 1: The Court of Owls.

It's somewhat realistic, gritty, modern, the costumes aren't that bad, and it's very dark and gripping.

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By JLDoom

@SmashBrawler said:

@minigunman123 said:

These two are pretty good choices

Personally, I would be more inclined to chose WW because its not a very traditional superhero book

EnergySlinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EnergySlinger

I was kind of iffy on Wonder Woman Volume 1, But I'll consider it. What details can you guys give me on that one?

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By thespideyguy

@EnergySlinger said:

I was kind of iffy on Wonder Woman Volume 1, But I'll consider it. What details can you guys give me on that one?

It is kind of like mythology, with wonder woman. I recommend Superman Action Comics Volume 1. Or Spider island.

charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By charlieboy

@EnergySlinger: Maybe just get her some of the Holiday specials from the last few years. I think they are great Christmas presents. Different stories and characters to go into. Usually fun reads. Maybe the new Batgirl series? I think the Wonder Girl idea is great as well.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SmashBrawler

@EnergySlinger said:

Hippolyta, queen of the Amazons, has kept a secret from her daughter all her life–and when Wonder Woman learns who her father is, her life will shatter like brittle clay. The only one more shocked than Diana by this revelation? Bloodthirsty Hera–so why is her sinister daughter, Strife, so eager for the truth to be told? Superstar writer Brian Azzarello creates a new direction for one of DC's best-known heroes, with spectacular art by Cliff Chiang and Tony Akins!

Also, there's a little preview in Amazon.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By danhimself

she judges Back to the Future harshly?????!!!!!!!!

I would get her a hard back hand to the face

EnergySlinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EnergySlinger

: More ghostbusters. as for BTTF, I make the 'Great Scott!' and Jigowatts reference and she's like 'lol wtf is that.' Though I would not be surprised if she watched it like, two minutes in and says 'this is a stupid movie'

As for everyone else, the WW Vol. 1 and Wonder Girl sound like the best choices.

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Stormbox

@JLDoom said:

@SmashBrawler said:

@minigunman123 said:

These two are pretty good choices

Personally, I would be more inclined to chose WW because its not a very traditional superhero book

Agreed