#1 Posted by EnergySlinger (9 posts) - - Show Bio

So yeah. I myself have started reading comic books (Mostly Green Lantern Corps and a few other things, and of course, looking some stuff up here and there, mostly on stuff I haven't read and don't quite plan to read soon.

Now, I love comic books.

And I have a cousin who enjoys manga, homestuck, cartoons, and a couple other kinds of stuff. Seeing as a christmas or two ago she got me full metal alchemist vol. 1 and 2 to try and get me into it, I think I'll do something similar by finding a series she might like.

She's not a heavy reader of western/american stuff, but the thought occurred to me that I should get her something this christmas, preferably something that can help her at least respect superhero comics to some degree. As it is, she's incredibly picky about movies/TV shows/etc (Try mentioning Back To the Future or Ghostbusters, or something general like those films. It would take a shit-ton of coaxing to get her to even watch five seconds before she judges it harshly).

So, I want to find a really well written series, with at least decent artwork. It HAS to be fairly modern, maybe somewhere within the last few years may do. I know for a fact my cousin isn't big on the costumes, But I figure most everything else would be fine.

Teen Titans Spotlight: Wonder Girl is my current default option for what I really want to give to her. I would like some other options though...

#2 Posted by StMichalofWilson (3608 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Batman: Hush
  • Spider-Men
  • Green Lantern: The Sinestro Corps War
  • New Avengers: Illuminati
  • Superman: For All Seasons
  • All-Star Superman
  • Kingdom Come
  • Uncanny X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga
  • Uncanny X-Men: Days of the Future Past
  • Amazing Spider-Man: The Death of Gwen Stacy
  • Astonishing X-Men(story arcs written by Joss Whedon
  • Any volume of Walking Dead

Well that's all I have for now. Hopefully you'll find anything I listed interesting...

#3 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

@EnergySlinger: Has she watched (and enjoyed) any comic based films?

#4 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Men

Court of the Owls

Superman: Birthright

#5 Posted by SoA (4670 posts) - - Show Bio

i would go the indie route , invincible, walking dead,hell yeah , strange talent of luthor strode darkness, witchblade, artifacts, etc . a lot of people are turned off by comics because they see it as corny or chidlish but i think if given a more mature book not directed or seen as a kids book people would be more willing to give it a try .

#6 Posted by EnergySlinger (9 posts) - - Show Bio

#7 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

Get the first Powers TPB

#8 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

Civil War is very good. As is World War Hulk.

#9 Edited by Billy Batson (57704 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by SoA (4670 posts) - - Show Bio

@EnergySlinger: then invincible is something i would suggest , it parodies superheroes but not to the point its strictly a comedy and has plenty of action , good storytelling , and a lot of fun.

#11 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

Try 100%, Habibi, I Kill Giants or Local.

BB

I was expecting one of those links to be a troll link.... Way to disappoint BB.

#12 Posted by Billy Batson (57704 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad said:

@Billy Batson said:

Try 100%, Habibi, I Kill Giants or Local.

BB

I was expecting one of those links to be a troll link.... Way to disappoint BB.

Nyehehehehe.

BB

#13 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Since she's into Manga, try to indoctrinate her with Western Comics subtly.

I wouldn't suggest a comicbook but DVD's. Try the Marvel Anime titles like X-Men, Iron-Man or Blade. Stay away from Wolverine, though. That Anime sucked big time!

#14 Posted by Billy Batson (57704 posts) - - Show Bio

Though if you really want to go with a superhero series try the Batgirl starring Stephanie Brown.

BB

#15 Posted by Feral Nova (46226 posts) - - Show Bio

If she likes Batman, then the safe way is to go that way. Batman: Hush, Killing Joke, Cassandra Cain run as Batgirl and even Stephanie Brown's run as Batgirl are all great. But if you REALLY want to stay away from Batman, try out the new Captain Marvel series or even Invicible!

#16 Posted by PowerHerc (80692 posts) - - Show Bio

Go ahead, buy and give comics as Christmas presents.

#17 Posted by EnergySlinger (9 posts) - - Show Bio

Invincible seems better now that I look at it…

New Captain Marvel series? is volume 1 out?