• 86 results
#1 Edited by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

List all of the characters who you think got ruined by the New 52. If you want, you may also list characters who got better in the New 52.

I'll start off with my opinion on who got ruined by the New 52:

Tim Drake

Lobo

Raven

#2 Posted by Twentyfive (2818 posts) - - Show Bio

Satic big time. Because of that whole debacle, he may never get a comic again.

Ruined is a terrible, yet powerful word.

#3 Posted by dngn4774 (2710 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Edited by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

@dngn4774:

Oh yes, he also got ruined big time.

#5 Posted by Joygirl (18441 posts) - - Show Bio

#6 Posted by Cat_Savage (316 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Harley Quinn
  • Helena Bertinelli
  • Cassandra Cain
  • Stephanie Brown
  • Oracle
  • Roy Harper
  • Damian Wayne (to be fair, it wasn't BECAUSE of the New 52)
#7 Posted by Twentyfive (2818 posts) - - Show Bio

By the list above me, one would say Wally West as well. And Ted Kord.

#8 Posted by danhimself (22268 posts) - - Show Bio

pretty much all of them except for Aquaman, Swamp Thing, and Animal Man

#9 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6090 posts) - - Show Bio

I have far from read every book in the New 52, but I haven't really come across any characters that have gotten "ruined." Though I'm not entirely caught up in the New 52, either.

#10 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6090 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: ... Well, someone definitely isn't a fan...

#11 Posted by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself:

Well yeah, we all know they all got ruined but is there any character you think REALLY got screwed up by the writer?

#12 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6090 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Edited by judasnixon (6159 posts) - - Show Bio

#15 Posted by XImpossibruX (5168 posts) - - Show Bio

Surprised every forgot Starfire, also Supergirl sucks now.

#16 Posted by danhimself (22268 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself:

Well yeah, we all know they all got ruined but is there any character you think REALLY got screwed up by the writer?

if I had to pick one character off the top of my head it would be Tim Drake....he's a completely different character now and no where near as great as he was prior to the reboot...if you want to see just how much he's lost then just read his series from One Year Later through his Red Robin book...so much character development flushed down the drain

#17 Edited by RDClip (1117 posts) - - Show Bio

Power Girl - dumb bimbo

Cassie Sandsmark - pissed off bimbo

Supergirl - Wandering pissed off idiot

Good to see DC is so progressive with their portrayal of female characters.

#18 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19854 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman. Other then grant Morrison and Greg pak

#19 Posted by kgb725 (5786 posts) - - Show Bio

Starfire

Shazam

Wally West

Cyborg

#20 Posted by jwalser3 (4796 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Martian Manhunter
  • The Creeper
  • Killer Croc
  • Katana
  • Elemanto
  • Darkseid
  • King Shark
#21 Posted by Wolverine08 (38504 posts) - - Show Bio

I have far from read every book in the New 52, but I haven't really come across any characters that have gotten "ruined." Though I'm not entirely caught up in the New 52, either.

The Question disagrees.

#22 Posted by TheCannon (17891 posts) - - Show Bio

From everything I've read (the actual comic or read about), the following:

• Static
  • Starfire
  • The Question
  • Martian Manhunter (although I LOVE the costume)
  • Darkseid
  • Lobo
  • Tim Drake
  • Cyborg
  • Power Girl
  • Helena Burtinelli
  • Joker
  • Alan Scott
  • Barbara Gordon
#23 Posted by The_Tree (7191 posts) - - Show Bio

Tim Drake, Superboy, basically all of the Teen Titans. Pretty much all Wildstorm characters, too.

Barbara Gordon, Green Arrow, Jaime Reyes, Captain Atom, Vic Sage, the Doom Patrol.

#24 Posted by Xwraith (15138 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_tree: Green Arrow has significantly improved since February.

#25 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

None of whom required a reboot. Which is the irony of the whole thing. The very few characters that've done well were already set up for an easy revamp. Every other character has been destroyed.

Classic example being Aquaman

"oh the new Aquaman series is so great".

Aquaman was already given a revamped series months earlier, it failed. Most writers will be able to succeed if they get to freaking mulligan every time they screw up.

#26 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

The Teen Titans...just...the teen titans.

Oh and

From everything I've read (the actual comic or read about), the following:

• Static
  • Starfire
  • The Question
  • Martian Manhunter (although I LOVE the costume)
  • Darkseid
  • Lobo
  • Tim Drake
  • Cyborg
  • Power Girl
  • Helena Burtinelli
  • Joker
  • Alan Scott
  • Barbara Gordon

#27 Posted by danhimself (22268 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

None of whom required a reboot. Which is the irony of the whole thing. The very few characters that've done well were already set up for an easy revamp. Every other character has been destroyed.

Aquaman was already given a revamped series months earlier, it failed. Most writers will be able to succeed if they get to freaking mulligan every time they screw up.

completely agree...I've said pretty much this same thing so many times before....not one success from the New 52 was dependent on the reboot...I've had people ask "What about Wonder Woman"...Wonder Woman was in the perfect place to be rebooted on her own away from the rest of the Universe right before Flashpoint and all they did was revert her back to her past self

the New 52 was done by lazy writers who thought that continuity was something that hindered their writing when in actuality it's a great device for them to draw upon and it was done for lazy readers who are to dumb to realize that we have wiki/forum sites like Comic Vine where at least all of the major characters' history's are laid out right in front of them and if that's to hard then they have the forums where a ton of people are more than happy to help them jump into a series of their choosing...plus they have a ton of trades that are readily available for just about anyone....no one should be saying that it's to hard to jump into a high numbered series...it's just laziness

#28 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@danhimself said:

completely agree...I've said pretty much this same thing so many times before....not one success from the New 52 was dependent on the reboot...I've had people ask "What about Wonder Woman"...Wonder Woman was in the perfect place to be rebooted on her own away from the rest of the Universe right before Flashpoint and all they did was revert her back to her past self

the New 52 was done by lazy writers who thought that continuity was something that hindered their writing when in actuality it's a great device for them to draw upon and it was done for lazy readers who are to dumb to realize that we have wiki/forum sites like Comic Vine where at least all of the major characters' history's are laid out right in front of them and if that's to hard then they have the forums where a ton of people are more than happy to help them jump into a series of their choosing...plus they have a ton of trades that are readily available for just about anyone....no one should be saying that it's to hard to jump into a high numbered series...it's just laziness

Yep, that's exactly it, laziness.

The reason DC is going to Hell in terms of organisation (with writers and artists leaving left, right and centre) is because they catered to certain lazy writers, which meant that new writers would suffer. What do they have to work with? 15 issues of a terribly written title? Obviously Andy Diggle couldn't follow Morrison's style, and he was smart not to try, but who else did he have to go off? Not 30 years of continuity and a deep concentration of stories, just the mediocre and poorly received Superman title by Lobdell. Great =T

#29 Edited by WaveMotionCannon (5130 posts) - - Show Bio

Static

Mr. Terrific

Tim Drake

Bronze Tiger

Lady Shiva

Lobo

Stormwatch

Nightwing

#30 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6090 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: As I said, I'm not entirely caught up on the New 52. The only thing I've read with the Question in it was the 2012 FCBD issue.

#31 Posted by danhimself (22268 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@danhimself said:

Yep, that's exactly it, laziness.

The reason DC is going to Hell in terms of organisation (with writers and artists leaving left, right and centre) is because they catered to certain lazy writers, which meant that new writers would suffer. What do they have to work with? 15 issues of a terribly written title? Obviously Andy Diggle couldn't follow Morrison's style, and he was smart not to try, but who else did he have to go off? Not 30 years of continuity and a deep concentration of stories, just the mediocre and poorly received Superman title by Lobdell. Great =T

what they should have done is switch over to a miniseries format where a writer comes in writes one story then leaves...each new writer gets their own issue 1 and none of the series have to dependent on anything that came before it....this way they didn't have to reboot, their are a ton of issue ones driving up sales with each, and new readers don't have to worry about those scary high number series

#32 Edited by Saint_Wildcard (8981 posts) - - Show Bio

From my monthly series, no one I cant think of. Let me see

-Superboy

-Braniac (he's been really dull even his VM title)

-Lobo.... no I actually liked his VM titles 8/10, would have gotten a higher score if it was cheaper cus the CBS I had to go to sold them for 15 a pop and my store didnt have, also it was too short and I would have like to seen the history between him and his clone.

So I can only think of those two.

#33 Posted by TheTrueBarryAllen (4244 posts) - - Show Bio

*Looks at Wally West*

The Teen Titans got pretty devastated, and the Firestorm ongoing was horrific.

I actually like Cyborg though, they've made him more useful.

#34 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

The only characters that weren't ruined are the ones that actually have good ongoings.

#35 Posted by The_Tree (7191 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith: I know, it's currently my favorite DC title, but I still have problems with it. My biggest problem with the New 52 on Ollie is that it essentially erased all of his history, making the Arrow family nonexistent.

#36 Edited by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't matter, the Joker is still awesome ^_^

#37 Posted by consolemaster001 (4937 posts) - - Show Bio

MR FREEZE !!!!!!!!!

#38 Posted by wildvine (8265 posts) - - Show Bio

Harley Quinn

#39 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio

It's all messed up. Bring back the original universe.

#40 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12487 posts) - - Show Bio

whats the point in listing them? dc doesn't give 2 f*(ks and isn't going to bother changing them unless its to something THEY want.

#41 Posted by XLR87T3 (2237 posts) - - Show Bio

Alan Scott. He's not the true Green Lantern anymore.

#42 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

No one mentioned him, so Creeper.

#43 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (11960 posts) - - Show Bio

Shouldn't this be in he DC Fourms instead of the off-topic ?

#44 Posted by entropy_aegis (14205 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a better question who the hell hasn't been ruined by the New-52?

#45 Posted by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis:

No one.

Lol Jk, Superman got a little better in my opinion. Same with Cyborg.

-$NG

#46 Posted by BR_Havoc (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

Lobo, Mr. Freeze and Harley Quinn.

#47 Posted by nickzambuto (12830 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't matter, the Joker is still awesome ^_^

If your Joker sucks, than you're just a crappy writer.

#48 Posted by daredevil21134 (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

Helena Bertinelli

Roy Harper

Green Arrow

Superboy

Tim Drake

Donna Troy

Cassandra Cain

Alan Scott

Stephanie Brown

Wonder Woman

Screw it the whole universe sucks

#49 Edited by CheeseSticks (2375 posts) - - Show Bio

The Joker by a mile:

- Cutting his face and wear it as a mask? REALLY?

- Death of The Family was horrible.

- Giving him an origin by making him the Red Hood gang leader.

- Being the Red Hood gang leader canceled the tragic origin of the character in the Killing Joke.

- Making him a gang leader makes him the same mob leader as Penguin or Black Mask. He's no more unique and a character representing chaos and mystery.

- His villain issue was beyond terrible. His mom was hurting him? Really?

- Joker should not have an origin.

Don't get me wrong, The Joker is my second favorite villain behind Magneto, i even like him more than Batman, but the New 52 definitely ruined him.

And to anyone saying Green Arrow, his book is probably the best out there. With the Arrow tv show and Jeff Lemire, GA has never been so popular.

#50 Posted by mr_gone (203 posts) - - Show Bio

anyone affiliated with the titans got really screwed