#1 Posted by ComicStooge (13882 posts) - - Show Bio

As a frequenter of TV Tropes, I would it would be cool if we chose characters that we thought represented certain tropes.

I'll start.

John Constantine

He personifies the trope Magnificent Bastard so well it should practically be inscribed on his trench coat.

#2 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio

Creator's Pet - Hal Jordan (Geoff Johns), Barry Allen (Geoff Johns), Wolverine (modern Marvel, mainly Bendis and Aaron), Jessica Jones (Bendis)

#3 Posted by OverLordArhas (7793 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by laflux (17548 posts) - - Show Bio

Creator's Pet - Hal Jordan (Geoff Johns), Barry Allen (Geoff Johns), Wolverine (modern Marvel, mainly Bendis and Aaron), Jessica Jones (Bendis)

You mention Bendis, and somehow forget Daredevil?

#5 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

You mention Bendis, and somehow forget Daredevil?

Ehhhhh, Bendis didn't really help Daredevil at all though. He just unmasked him, gave him a nervous breakdown and then called it character development. Milla Donovan was more of the Pet there.

#6 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by laflux (17548 posts) - - Show Bio

@fadetoblackbolt: Knocking Out Gorgon with a Kick is pretty much the most creators pet thing he could do, especially considering Gorgon's previous history.

#8 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux: Haven't read that, thank God.

#9 Posted by laflux (17548 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by laflux (17548 posts) - - Show Bio

@fadetoblackbolt: Also Jeph Loeb for Supergirl and Red Hulk and Dan Slott for Superior Spider-Man.

#11 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@fadetoblackbolt: Also Jeph Loeb for Supergirl and Red Hulk and Dan Slott for Superior Spider-Man.

Well freaking said. Especially on Supergirl, which many forget. Ugh, that was so painful. SHE'S STRONGER THAN SUPERMAN. SHE'S FASTER THAN THE FLASH. SHE'S MORE OBNOXIOUS THAN PARIS HILTON ON COCAINE.

#12 Edited by laflux (17548 posts) - - Show Bio

@fadetoblackbolt: Getting Flash to run onto the moon, and making him suffocate was ridiculously stupid. Its not the fact that Flash could easily run back for a quick breath of air, but for the fact that Flash has ran in outer-space beforehand.

To be fair they are examples which I don't really hate, since I 'm somewhat biased. Starlin is made for this trope, Infinity Abyss was made so Thanos' losing to an Amped Thor with his strength doubled and infused with the Odin Force in tears of a God, was retconned into a Thanoside. He's made a him a God twice. Granted The End wasn't cannon, but I have feeling Starlin wanted it to be.

Saying that, since I am fan of Thanos, I contented to just sit in the background and smile.

#13 Posted by frogdog (3530 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

Dan Slott: Ock is relatable because he’s the underdog and seeing the traditional hero always win isn’t fun.

Because having 14 issues of otto constantly winning is awesome /sarcasm

#14 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio

@frogdog said:

@laflux said:

Dan Slott: Ock is relatable because he’s the underdog and seeing the traditional hero always win isn’t fun.

Dude, I totally relate to the body/mind-stealing sociopath who gets everything handed to him.

Slott is such a genius *Sarcasm*

#15 Posted by frogdog (3530 posts) - - Show Bio

@frogdog said:

@laflux said:

Dude, I totally relate to the body/mind-stealing sociopath who gets everything handed to him.

Slott's awesomeness has even spread to his fans

Hell yeah Otto is a lot more relatable. Sure you could say that a lot of what he's doing is morally wrong but I think a lot of readers would never admit to how selfish they'd be if they were to get their hands on any real power. It goes back to the Alpha arc in Amazing and how if a tormented kid got his hands on amazing powers he would use them in really petty ways. There's nothing about the paragon side of Peter Parker that I find all that compelling anymore. Everyone WANTS to do the right thing but when you're an adult you find out sooner or later that the right thing often gets you jack squat.

Also do all the sad and lonely fans reading about all the smoking hot babes Peter happens to hook up with (Gwen, MJ, Black Cat, Ultimate Kitty Pryde) find him really that relatable or are they simply looking for yet another power fantasy to indulge themselves? Finding your soul mate in real life goes beyond body type thus making Otto less shallow than Pete for dating Anna Maria, a person he feels a bond with despite her physical deficiencies.

#16 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23238 posts) - - Show Bio

@frogdog said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@frogdog said:

@laflux said:

Slott's awesomeness has even spread to his fans

Hell yeah Otto is a lot more relatable. Sure you could say that a lot of what he's doing is morally wrong but I think a lot of readers would never admit to how selfish they'd be if they were to get their hands on any real power. It goes back to the Alpha arc in Amazing and how if a tormented kid got his hands on amazing powers he would use them in really petty ways. There's nothing about the paragon side of Peter Parker that I find all that compelling anymore. Everyone WANTS to do the right thing but when you're an adult you find out sooner or later that the right thing often gets you jack squat.

Also do all the sad and lonely fans reading about all the smoking hot babes Peter happens to hook up with (Gwen, MJ, Black Cat, Ultimate Kitty Pryde) find him really that relatable or are they simply looking for yet another power fantasy to indulge themselves? Finding your soul mate in real life goes beyond body type thus making Otto less shallow than Pete for dating Anna Maria, a person he feels a bond with despite her physical deficiencies.

(facepalm) I like that this idiot acts like Superior Spider-Man is the first anti-hero ever made. What a cretin.

#17 Posted by frogdog (3530 posts) - - Show Bio

Bruce Banner fits into the Badass bookworm trope

@fadetoblackbolt: believe me when I say this, but that isn't dumbest a superior spider-man fan has said.

#18 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (34953 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

Captain America is the Trope Maker of the Captain Patriotic trope, basically.

Well The Shield has him beat on that

Yeah, but who remembers him? When people think 'patriotic superhero', it's Cap who personifies the trope.

#20 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34953 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@veshark said:

Yeah, but who remembers him? When people think 'patriotic superhero', it's Cap who personifies the trope.

I suppose the pepole that read his ongoing comic remember him

#21 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@veshark said:

I suppose the pepole that read his ongoing comic remember him

.....Even for comic fans who know the character (like you and I), we still associate Cap more with the trope as opposed to the Shield. I don't see how that's disputable.

#22 Edited by Shavo (2061 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by TDK_1997 (15063 posts) - - Show Bio

Creator's Pet - Superior Spider-Man,Hal Jordan and Wolverine.

#24 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7501 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (23784 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by frogdog (3530 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Edited by ComicStooge (13882 posts) - - Show Bio

Huh, I would've thought this would have had more activity.

#28 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (23784 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by ComicStooge (13882 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Edited by ImmortalOne (3535 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (7043 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Posted by Mr_Ingenuity (7923 posts) - - Show Bio

The problem with this is, when one looks up tropes they get lost and forget what they were doing. :P

Idiot Hero

#33 Edited by ComicStooge (13882 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicstooge said:

The problem with this is, when one looks up tropes they get lost and forget what they were doing. :P

Idiot Hero

So true. I once spent 25 hours on TV Tropes, I kid you not.

#34 Posted by Mr_Ingenuity (7923 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicstooge: I have spent the greater part of my internet browsing on tropes last year.

#35 Posted by Mr_Ingenuity (7923 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Posted by ComicStooge (13882 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by Mr_Ingenuity (7923 posts) - - Show Bio
#38 Edited by laflux (17548 posts) - - Show Bio

I know Fade got banned legitimately, but seeing my conversation with him makes me miss him V_V

#39 Edited by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (23784 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Posted by Mr_Ingenuity (7923 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Posted by Mr_Ingenuity (7923 posts) - - Show Bio