Change Really is a Constant

pingclang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

User Lists: 0

Edited By pingclang

There is a word in the english language that strikes fear into the heart of every nerd/geek/collector/fanboy. That word is change. We all treasure the things we love wether it be a comic book character, a tv show or something beloved from our childhood. What led me to this post was while a friend and I watched the latest episode of Nickelodeon`s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, I had an epiphany: Change is ok. I have seen posts about the new show and though it is a lot of positive reaction to the show, there are those who nit-pick every small detail. I'm learning though, and trust me it isn't easy, that some times things just have to change. This is coming from a man who has been a long time naysayer against change since I was a teen. It wasn't until today though, with the changes made to the Turtles, something I have cherished since I can remember, that I really saw why change happens. You have to let things go and realize that something you like, even if it is old and timeless like Superman or some other hero, people are changing all the time and the audience and potential buyer is evolving and guess what the company then must do? Evolve. Granted, I think bits of the old should always carry over, something to nod respectfully toward the creators but instead of going nuts over the change, I see why it happens.

No Caption Provided

Take my example, for instance; the Turtles have always been a phenomenon since the comic hit the stands. How the die-hard fans of the books must have felt when the Turtles cartoon was all kid friendly and silly. YET,it's what I found them through and because of it, once I was older, I found those original comics and still to this day find them to be the best presentation of Turtles media. That change led me to the past, to the original. Couldn't that happen to other folks too? I suppose all of this is rambling to some of you but I'm trying to reach out to my fellows to help you see that change may be scary, it may not be what you want it to be, but it can be done right. Instead of immediately grumbling and griping over every small thing, let's look at the bright side. When the Captain America film was about to come out and I first saw the costume I was furious. It looks so horrible, but when I saw the film it was Cap on the screen, it was him fighting the Red Skull and it was real people. Instantly I didn't see the costume, yeah it was ugly, yeah I hate it, but it's Captain America up there moving around and punching bad guys in the face. Nit-picking has become something our society loves to do anymore. I don't think I want to be a big part of That. I used to be one of the big voices cap-locking my way into arguments over why Cap should have wings on his mask or why Thor should have had his helmet on but I'm through fighting. It's pointless. I guess the point of all this ranting is simple: Change is constant, get used to it or you'll be left miserable with nothing just because it isn't what it used to be.