#1 Edited by turok_son_of_stone (73 posts) - - Show Bio

I've heard a lot of news recently about a bill in congress to allow the government to censor the internet but i haven't heard many facts.

can someone just give a NON BIAS summery of said bill? thanks.

and pardon the picture i thought the superhuman registration act had a certain validity here.

FYI GOOGLE HAS AN ONLINE PETITION YOU MAY SIGN IN PROTEST

I ALSO HEAR THAT DC AND MARVEL ARE IN SUPPORT OF SOPA BUT I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO GET A SOLID CONFERMATION

#2 Posted by Kiara_Sullivan (30075 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by EnSabahNurX (2315 posts) - - Show Bio

The way it sounds the bill can easily lead to an abuse of power because it tends to be very broad with it's intentions

#4 Posted by Dakotax6 (36 posts) - - Show Bio

SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) would basically allow the government to block websites for any copyrighted material. I believe Facebook could potentially be shut down too just because someone posts copyrighted material on their status. This bill would also most likely completely destroy YouTube. This bill just destroys the internet.

#5 Posted by Steps (657 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by DarkShadows (742 posts) - - Show Bio

What's worse is that DC Comics and Marvel support SOPA.

Seriously, I hope the law won't pass otherwise the internet wouldn't be the same.

#7 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17887 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkShadows said:

What's worse is that DC Comics and Marvel support SOPA.

Seriously, I hope the law won't pass otherwise the internet wouldn't be the same.

Really,damn ...maybe they support it due to copyright and stuff,i really hope it isn't passed.They are getting rid of our right of free speech if they do,which is surely not legal and certainly inst morally right.

#8 Edited by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

Let Us Ride translucent steeds to the people of congress and begin our holy war!!!

Seriously Though, Call you're congressman, get involved, tell other people ignorant of this perversion of our rights and also tell them don't just sit there and whine. DO SOMETHING

#9 Posted by Steps (657 posts) - - Show Bio

@utotheg38 said:

Let Us Ride translucent steeds to the people of congress and begin our holy war!!!

Seriously Though, Call you're congressman, get involved, tell other people ignorant of this perversion of our rights and also tell them don't just sit there and whine. DO SOMETHING

The only thing I can do is tell my American friends to speak out though

#10 Posted by Kiara_Sullivan (30075 posts) - - Show Bio

In honor of the protest I've gone gray and blacked out as much as I could. LOL

TUmblr is blacked out.

Facebook is blacked out

Twitter will be shortly

And as much on here as possible

#11 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

Who supports this bill anyways? Clearly people who never use the Internet.

Moderator
#12 Posted by Kiara_Sullivan (30075 posts) - - Show Bio

Az I demand you go neut and make your profile picture a black one :P

#13 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kiara_Sullivan: But my current images are so classy :(

Can't I just cheer everyone on from the sidelines?

Moderator
#14 Posted by Kiara_Sullivan (30075 posts) - - Show Bio

@aztek_the_lost said:

@Kiara_Sullivan: But my current images are so classy :(

Can't I just cheer everyone on from the sidelines?

NO I demand it! Miss you :(

#15 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kiara_Sullivan said:

@aztek_the_lost said:

@Kiara_Sullivan: But my current images are so classy :(

Can't I just cheer everyone on from the sidelines?

NO I demand it! Miss you :(

You're the second person to say that to me today (the second part)...I wasn't aware my presence was such a hot commodity :P

And fine, I did it...I feel so sad now, it's like my charm and personality have been swallowed by blackness

Moderator
#16 Posted by spystreak (2063 posts) - - Show Bio

the internet's already censored for example I can't use certain words on sites that I want to without being banned....anyway I'm against SOPA so going dark in 5

#17 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

4,3,2,1

Black out

#18 Posted by The Devil Tiger (1263 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn, it would kill the us internet industry, rather. The day USA is beginning to censored the internet, China or europe will see youtube and facebook erzatz flourishing...

#19 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33069 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kiara_Sullivan said:

In honor of the protest I've gone gray and blacked out as much as I could. LOL

TUmblr is blacked out.

Facebook is blacked out

Twitter will be shortly

And as much on here as possible

same here lol
#20 Posted by Steps (657 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Devil Tiger said:

Damn, it would kill the us internet industry, rather. The day USA is beginning to censored the internet, China or europe will see youtube and facebook erzatz flourishing...

Not really. If some overzealous company who is butthurt from copyright infringement were to act upon the said buthurt they can blacklist youtube. Meaning none of us gets to use youtube and youtube must comply because it's owned by an american group and must adhere to american laws.

#21 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by Steps (657 posts) - - Show Bio

@cyberninja said:

This would be a better avatar than the black out one

#23 Posted by Daveyo520 (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like someone stays ahead of the curve.

#24 Posted by Rasarima (371 posts) - - Show Bio

@Steps said:

@cyberninja said:

This would be a better avatar than the black out one

That is an ascii code, in the eyes....how can i do that again?

#25 Posted by _Zombie_ (10400 posts) - - Show Bio

As soon as I get home, my facebook and twitter will be blacked out.

#26 Posted by Kiara_Sullivan (30075 posts) - - Show Bio

@aztek_the_lost said:

@Kiara_Sullivan said:

@aztek_the_lost said:

@Kiara_Sullivan: But my current images are so classy :(

Can't I just cheer everyone on from the sidelines?

NO I demand it! Miss you :(

You're the second person to say that to me today (the second part)...I wasn't aware my presence was such a hot commodity :P

And fine, I did it...I feel so sad now, it's like my charm and personality have been swallowed by blackness

Yeah but Im the most important!

And well That wont be too much of a change will it? LOL I KID!

#27 Posted by progenitor (7534 posts) - - Show Bio

Why are Marvel and DC both supporting this?

#28 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

@progenitor said:

Why are Marvel and DC both supporting this?

they are under the misconception that if comics weren't pirate-able their sales would go up but evidence (in other words, IMO) suggests they'd actually go down

Moderator
#29 Posted by progenitor (7534 posts) - - Show Bio

@aztek_the_lost said:

@progenitor said:

Why are Marvel and DC both supporting this?

they are under the misconception that if comics weren't pirate-able their sales would go up but evidence (in other words, IMO) suggests they'd actually go down

I agree with you.

#30 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kiara_Sullivan said:

@aztek_the_lost said:

@Kiara_Sullivan said:

@aztek_the_lost said:

@Kiara_Sullivan: But my current images are so classy :(

Can't I just cheer everyone on from the sidelines?

NO I demand it! Miss you :(

You're the second person to say that to me today (the second part)...I wasn't aware my presence was such a hot commodity :P

And fine, I did it...I feel so sad now, it's like my charm and personality have been swallowed by blackness

Yeah but Im the most important!

And well That wont be too much of a change will it? LOL I KID!

actually, I think I would be the most important (as the object of desire)

I'll have you know I'm a very colorful person! why, I wore a whole bunch of colors today!

Moderator
#31 Posted by Kiara_Sullivan (30075 posts) - - Show Bio

@aztek_the_lost said:

@Kiara_Sullivan said:

@aztek_the_lost said:

@Kiara_Sullivan said:

@aztek_the_lost said:

@Kiara_Sullivan: But my current images are so classy :(

Can't I just cheer everyone on from the sidelines?

NO I demand it! Miss you :(

You're the second person to say that to me today (the second part)...I wasn't aware my presence was such a hot commodity :P

And fine, I did it...I feel so sad now, it's like my charm and personality have been swallowed by blackness

Yeah but Im the most important!

And well That wont be too much of a change will it? LOL I KID!

actually, I think I would be the most important (as the object of desire)

I'll have you know I'm a very colorful person! why, I wore a whole bunch of colors today!

:O You wore color. -Feels his head- Thats odd :P

#32 Posted by MagneticShockwave (1244 posts) - - Show Bio

America vs Ameritopia

 
 
Which is it you vote for?
#33 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kiara_Sullivan: weeeeeell, the top half of the outfit was predominantly black BUT my leggings were all sorts of colors, I swear! and whispers ...I think I liked it

Moderator
#34 Posted by Kiara_Sullivan (30075 posts) - - Show Bio

@aztek_the_lost said:

@Kiara_Sullivan: weeeeeell, the top half of the outfit was predominantly black BUT my leggings were all sorts of colors, I swear! and whispers ...I think I liked it

o.o OMG SOMEONE HAS CORRUPTED YOU!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

#35 Edited by GundamHeavyarms (701 posts) - - Show Bio

Piracy is a bad thing but censoring the internet because of it is even worse.

#36 Posted by cattlebattle (12700 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kiara_Sullivan said:

@aztek_the_lost said:

@Kiara_Sullivan: weeeeeell, the top half of the outfit was predominantly black BUT my leggings were all sorts of colors, I swear! and whispers ...I think I liked it

o.o OMG SOMEONE HAS CORRUPTED YOU!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

ha! the best part is my family thinks you people corrupted me :P

Moderator
#38 Posted by Kiara_Sullivan (30075 posts) - - Show Bio

@aztek_the_lost said:

@Kiara_Sullivan said:

@aztek_the_lost said:

@Kiara_Sullivan: weeeeeell, the top half of the outfit was predominantly black BUT my leggings were all sorts of colors, I swear! and whispers ...I think I liked it

o.o OMG SOMEONE HAS CORRUPTED YOU!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

ha! the best part is my family thinks you people corrupted me :P

We did no such thing!

#39 Posted by Whisper_ (3459 posts) - - Show Bio

@GundamHeavyarms said:

Piracy is a bad thing but censoring the internet because of it is even worse.

QFT

#40 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kiara_Sullivan said:

@aztek_the_lost said:

@Kiara_Sullivan said:

@aztek_the_lost said:

@Kiara_Sullivan: weeeeeell, the top half of the outfit was predominantly black BUT my leggings were all sorts of colors, I swear! and whispers ...I think I liked it

o.o OMG SOMEONE HAS CORRUPTED YOU!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

ha! the best part is my family thinks you people corrupted me :P

We did no such thing!

o rly?

my psychiatrist begs to differ :P

Moderator
#41 Posted by one_upper (1019 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek_the_lost said:

Who supports this bill anyways? Clearly people who never use the Internet.

Everyone losing money on pirated material. The entertainment industry. Books, movies, music, etc. 
 
Greedy bastards.
#42 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

@one_upper said:

@aztek_the_lost said:

Who supports this bill anyways? Clearly people who never use the Internet.

Everyone losing money on pirated material. The entertainment industry. Books, movies, music, etc. Greedy bastards.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not

Moderator
#43 Posted by one_upper (1019 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek_the_lost: I was being serious. For the most part they are greedy bastards.
#44 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

@one_upper: okay, good to know, it's just there's a lot of people around here that would otherwise make the pirates out to be the scum of the earth and the industries all the victim

Moderator
#45 Posted by Whisper_ (3459 posts) - - Show Bio
#46 Posted by Shadow_Thief (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkShadows: We need to fight with our wallets. If Marvel and DC support SOPA, then I no longer support Marvel and DC. I will stop buying their comics and other merchandise, I will visiting their official sites, and I will stop watching/buying their movies and TV shows. In short, I will go to ridiculous extremes to ensure they're not getting any of my hard-earned cash.

Most of the corporations that are trying to buy enough congressmen to push this act through have one thing in common: they make their business through nonessential services, such as entertainment. The thing is, we can all live without entertainment. Who here doesn't already have boxes of comics, stacks of DVDs, and gigs of music? I know I can go longer without buying any more of these commodities than the people that sell them can go without turning a profit, and if enough of us take this approach, they'll flinch.

#47 Posted by MagneticShockwave (1244 posts) - - Show Bio
@one_upper: But SOPA is not just about Piracy. That's just the icing on the cake, it has another agenda of having the government take full control of your internet purposes. Blocking off international communications and constant moderation of each individual IP etc. PIPA is the same thing. If anything, they will spend more just to do this and every body gets broke. 
#48 Edited by EtherealEnigma (14 posts) - - Show Bio

so long as they contribute to the political parties campaign they won't be shutdown

#49 Posted by MagneticShockwave (1244 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shadow_Thief:  
 

That's why vote for Ron Paul. Shrink the Government because the Government is too big.