Car advice

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Does anyone on this site know a lot about cars? I'm about to buy a used one and I could use some advice

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Check and see if there is an up to date inspection sticker on it, that is the most important thing imo.

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By nerdork

Buy a Delorean!

TotalBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know a little bit, I have friends who are car nuts though and they would know much more than me. Would help if you gave some info on what kind of car you are looking for or are about to purchase....

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know a little bit, I have friends who are car nuts though and they would know much more than me. Would help if you gave some info on what kind of car you are looking for or are about to purchase....

okay great. It's a toyota 4runner with 244000 miles on it. its the loaded model with big after market offroad tires on it. its a 1997.

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

okay great. It's a toyota 4runner with 244000 miles on it. its the loaded model with big after market offroad tires on it. its a 1997.

In all seriousness, how much is bieng asked for it? You're looking at buying a, near, 20 year old vehicle. So, it shouldnt be an extravagant price. 244000 miles on any engine is a lot. Will this be your first car?

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerdork said:

@pperspectiveandreality said:

In all seriousness, how much is bieng asked for it? You're looking at buying a, near, 20 year old vehicle. So, it shouldnt be an extravagant price. 244000 miles on any engine is a lot. Will this be your first car?

lol oh no this isnt my first car. Theyre asking $3850 for it

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pperspectiveandreality: gotta say that $3850 is not a terrible asking price. And, everyone i have known with a 4Runner, still has it. Never breaks down, no real mechanical problems, but with 244K mileage...that could be tempting fate. Is the Toyota up to date on inspections?

And, remember to ask for the CarFax, not the Car Fox. :P

TotalBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@totalbalance said:

Are you going to use it for off road driving? if not the off road tires might best be switched for regular road tires. 4Runners tend to be pretty reliable, but over 200 thousand miles on any vehicle means you can expect there may be some mechanical issues that would need to be dealt with, so factor that in when considering what you are going to pay for it.

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerdork said:

@pperspectiveandreality: gotta say that $3850 is not a terrible asking price. And, everyone i have known with a 4Runner, still has it. Never breaks down, no real mechanical problems, but with 244K mileage...that could be tempting fate. Is the Toyota up to date on inspections?

And, remember to ask for the CarFax, not the Car Fox. :P

yeah thats a good price. HE says he's okay with me having a Toyota dealer check it out to make sure its in good condition

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@totalbalance said:

Are you going to use it for off road driving? if not the off road tires might best be switched for regular road tires. 4Runners tend to be pretty reliable, but over 200 thousand miles on any vehicle means you can expect there may be some mechanical issues that would need to be dealt with, so factor that in when considering what you are going to pay for it.

It'll just be my daily driver

TotalBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pperspectiveandreality: Depending on the tread of the off road tires it may be a good idea to invest in standard road tires, as tires built primarily for off road driving typically don't last as long as a regular road tire when just driving on paved roads, they also can cause a slight decline in gas mileage. Beyond that it sounds like a good price on the vehicle, I can only echo what other users have said and say have it looked at to make sure there are no glaring issues.

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pperspectiveandreality: Depending on the tread of the off road tires it may be a good idea to invest in standard road tires, as tires built primarily for off road driving typically don't last as long as a regular road tire when just driving on paved roads, they also can cause a slight decline in gas mileage. Beyond that it sounds like a good price on the vehicle, I can only echo what other users have said and say have it looked at to make sure there are no glaring issues.

Thanks for the advice. One more question, If the Toyota mechanics say its in good condition is it still a good buy based on the mileage?

TotalBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TotalBalance

@pperspectiveandreality: If everything is in working order I would say it is a good price, though as with any used vehicle a little haggling to try and save yourself some money can never hurt, maybe try and haggle down to 3000-3500 if you can. If the persons price is firm though 3850 is not a terrible price to pay providing everything is in working order.

TotalBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pperspectiveandreality: Here is a 4Runner for sale in California that is of the same year model and has just over 200'000 miles on it, so slightly less than your one. Its listed for just under $5'000 but its also being sold by a used car dealership so they have more incentive to try and jack up the price to make themselves more money.

Link: 1997 Toyota 4Runner

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pperspectiveandreality: Here is a 4Runner for sale in California that is of the same year model and has just over 200'000 miles on it, so slightly less than your one. Its listed for just under $5'000 but its also being sold by a used car dealership so they have more incentive to try and jack up the price to make themselves more money.

Link: 1997 Toyota 4Runner

thanks for your help. I think I'll keep searching

deathstroke19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember to pimp it out. ;)

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pperspectiveandreality: From what I know, Maximas are a fairly long lasting car. The 5th generation model, was from 95-99, and are the most common older Nissans you will see on the road, in good condition. The mileage is more promising than the 4Runner, but I am not sure that a Maxima can out-perform it. The asking price is pretty good, maybe a little high. It would depend on the state of the car. Rust, torn interior, cracked dashboard, stains…that all plays a part in the asking price. Also ask if the battery is new, when was it smogged last, when does the certificate expire, are the tires new, how old are the breaks…all good questions. And, again, make sure that either, the seller is up to date on inspections, or is willing let you take it to a Nissan dealership for a once over.

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerdork said:

@pperspectiveandreality: From what I know, Maximas are a fairly long lasting car. The 5th generation model, was from 95-99, and are the most common older Nissans you will see on the road, in good condition. The mileage is more promising than the 4Runner, but I am not sure that a Maxima can out-perform it. The asking price is pretty good, maybe a little high. It would depend on the state of the car. Rust, torn interior, cracked dashboard, stains…that all plays a part in the asking price. Also ask if the battery is new, when was it smogged last, when does the certificate expire, are the tires new, how old are the breaks…all good questions. And, again, make sure that either, the seller is up to date on inspections, or is willing let you take it to a Nissan dealership for a once over.

You're the best. Thanks.

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By nerdork

@nerdork said:

You're the best. Thanks.

No problem, Im glad i could help a bit. :)

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@totalbalance: @nerdork:

I need you guys again. 1999 Ford f150 vs 2004 Dodge 1500. Ford has 132,000 and Dodge has 81,000. Which car would you suggest?

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By DoomDoomDoom

@pperspectiveandreality: engines I the two trucks? I see huge differences in the classes of vehicle your asking about. What is your main goal and use with a vehicle? Day to day and inexpensive? Use a site like Edmunds for reviews, auto trader for local used vehicles, and kbb for pricing.

Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doomdoomdoom:

It'll be my daily driver. I'm just looking for the best value

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

@pperspectiveandreality: personally I wouldn't buy a vehicle more than ten years old. Out of the vehicles you've listed I would say the Maxima. Only because if you don't need the extra space the Maxima will have better fuel economy. I would also look into estimated costs of ownership for a vehicle and get an insurance quote.