Capcom or Square-Enix? Who disappointed more?

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Capcom or Square-Enix? Who disappointed more? (20 votes)

Capcom 50%
Square-Enix 50%

If there are two Japanese Companies that went to s*** during this current gen, these two are always brought up.

• 
Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

Square-Enix because they produced some of the best games of all time, and certainly the best games from Japan... and then XIII happened.

F*ck you, XIII.

F*ck you.

Capcom was mostly just one amazing franchise that's become dull and generic, whereas SE went to total crap.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

@theacidskull: It has to be played to be believed. I say "played" but really I mean "run in a straight line and try to not kill yourself whenever Hope is on screen"

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fadetoblackbolt: wow. why is XIII so bad? :P

Terrible story

Level design is basically corridors with shiny wallpaper

Terrible Story

The battle system practically plays by itself

Terrible Story

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

@theacidskull: And Hope Estheim.

The worst character in the history of video games everything.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Capcom isn't without share of problems.

Homogenization for every Ip that isn't Street Fighter or Monster Hunter, or worst sh**y mobile game as a sequel.

DLC is bad, but if EA or Activision didn't exist, Capcom would be labled the worst DLC practice in the industry.

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

I say Capcom for trying to kill of the Mega Man series and for screwing up Devil May Cry. Thank God Inafune decided to make Mighty No. 9, which is essentially a giant middle finger to Capcom.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By frogdog

@mrdirector786 said:

I say Capcom for trying to kill of the Mega Man series and for screwing up Devil May Cry. Thank God Inafune decided to make Mighty No. 9, which is essentially a giant middle finger to Capcom.

Careful now, say anything bad about the reboot and you'll get loads of retards saying "You just don't like cause of the hair, the game is awesome and is the best game ever"

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Monster Hunter and Dragon's Dogma are current-gen so they put Capcom above SE for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Capcom, I mean they messed up the Resident Evil series and then haven't even released a new Megaman game. I don't care much for FF, but Square Enix did deliver a decent Hitman game last year.

MethoKi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm looking forward to Kingdom Hearts.

Devil May Cry's reboot; although I always disliked DMC, is garbage. The old ones were good, but this one is just....

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By frogdog

The polls tend to flip flop between 50/50 and 60/40

I'm looking forward to Kingdom Hearts.

Devil May Cry's reboot; although I always disliked DMC, is garbage. The old ones were good, but this one is just....

Loading Video...

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#16 vance_astro  Moderator

I say Capcom for trying to kill of the Mega Man series.

Capcom isn't trying to kill of the Mega Man series. Just because they aren't really doing anything with the character doesn't mean they are trying to get rid of him or they don't care about the character. It wasn't too long ago that Street Fighter was on a massive hiatus and there were tons of Mega Man games coming out for handhelds.

@frogdog said:

Capcom isn't without share of problems.

Homogenization for every Ip that isn't Street Fighter or Monster Hunter, or worst sh**y mobile game as a sequel.

DLC is bad, but if EA or Activision didn't exist, Capcom would be labled the worst DLC practice in the industry.

Capcom is also one of the only original game developers\publishers that are still afloat. People make noise about the DLC and how harsh it's become but that really doesn't have anything to do with Capcom, it has to do with the price of even making a game in the first place and the way the industry is going. They use all that DLC to make their money back.

Square-Enix because they produced some of the best games of all time, and certainly the best games from Japan... and then XIII happened.

F*ck you, XIII.

F*ck you

You mean Final Fantasy XIII? I actually liked it, but let's be honest there are several Final Fantasy games in the series that weren't good. It wasn't all sunshine & rainbows until XIII, FF8 & FF9 were trash too and so what Final Fantasy XI & Final Fantasy X-2.

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Capcom killed Resident Evil and Devil May Cry.

Square Enix promised me KH III.

I rest my case.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro: It's still just nickle and dime scheme for things that should already be in game. If these companies didn't over-inflate their budgets and start listening to what their customers wanted, instead of investors, then they wouldn't be crap like DLC in the first place.

Also FF9 is considered one of best final fantasy game with 5,6 &7.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

@frogdog said:

@vance_astro: It's still just nickle and dime scheme for things that should already be in game. If these companies didn't over-inflate their budgets and start listening to what their customers wanted, instead of investors, then they wouldn't be crap like DLC in the first place.

Based on how many companies that published & developed games their used to be and how many there are now in comparison, I'm going to go ahead and assume that they aren't just "nickle & diming" you with DLC or re-releases or whatever money tactics they are using. If over-inflation of budgets was the issue, it makes absolutely no sense that companies would continue working that way if they had a choice.

@frogdog said:

Also FF9 is considered one of best final fantasy game with 5,6 &7.

According to it's sales I could say the same about FF13.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro:

When a company charges you $10:00 for a simple costumes or extra level, when back during the ps2 era, it was free, that's a scam. Not to mention the whole thing with street fighter X tekken by blocking extra characters that already in the game, through a paywall. Most of those companies are close down due high sales expections, i.e. Darksiders Franchise

Even something like the recent tomb raider reboot is considered a failure in square enix, despite selling over 4 million copies, mainly down to not breaking even with budget spent making it.(Which is over $100 million). Even a game like Uncharted didn't have $100 million budget.

According to it's sales I could say the same about FF13.

Sales never account for quality in any industry :P

Blood_Red_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On the disc DLC is one of the most laughable practices around and Capcom loves it. Frankly I haven't purchased anything from either company for a couple years now and will not likely any time soon. Gets old after awhile.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

Capcom because I don't even play Square games for the most part.

That said it's more of Capcom trying to get my money than the quality of most of their product that I have a problem with.

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Capcom just ruined BOF. I'm done.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 vance_astro  Moderator
@frogdog said:

@vance_astro:

When a company charges you $10:00 for a simple costumes or extra level, when back during the ps2 era, it was free, that's a scam. Not to mention the whole thing with street fighter X tekken by blocking extra characters that already in the game, through a paywall. Most of those companies are close down due high sales expections, i.e. Darksiders Franchise

The thing with saying that this is a scam is that most gamers know what's going on. You spend the 10 dollars on those costumes because you want to, not because Capcom tricked you into it or because they sold you half of a game and you have to download or go out and buy the rest. Costumes don't add anything to the game. Final Fantasy 13 is a complete game. I don't need to play with Lightning wearing Cloud's Soldier outfit from FF7. So I can't say SE is abusing the DLC by giving me meaningless things I don't HAVE TO buy. High sales expectations closing down these companies wouldn't happen if it didn't take so much to make a game in the first place. Even games that have no substance like Table Tennis take AT LEAST 10 mil to make and that's not even counting any type of promotion you would need for a more popular game. You can't afford to take many risks. A couple of flops and you don't have a company any more. If your budget is 100 mil you have to make more than most games ever sell to recoup, why would a COMPANY put that type of pressure on themselves?

@frogdog said:

Even something like the recent tomb raider reboot is considered a failure in square enix, despite selling over 4 million copies, mainly down to not breaking even with budget spent making it.(Which is over $100 million). Even a game like Uncharted didn't have $100 million budget.

How much a game is going to sell is a gamble. Square doesn't know how much of that 100 million they are going to make back when they take that chance with Tomb Raider but they are giving it a shot. If anything it's commendable on their part. No company in this day and age is going to have a 100 mil budget if they don't think they need it.

@frogdog said:

Sales never account for quality in any industry :P

Maybe if we weren't talking about Final Fantasy, i'd agree. The sales of the games in that series fluctuate so often..I think it's safe to assume that purchases are being made on quality and not fanfare. The series changes rosters and story every game.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now Capcom is leading the polls

I've always wanted the next Breath of Fire to be Moblie games

/sarcasm

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By frogdog

@vance_astro: Sales are hardly the judge of quality for Final Fantasy, if that was the case, people would hardly ever talk about 4,5,6 &9.

Not really risk, when square spent 5x the amount of their budget try to chase Uncharched, when the competion spent less (Uncharched only cost about $20 million)If anything it's an overestimation on Square's part.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 vance_astro  Moderator

@frogdog said:

@vance_astro: Sales are hardly the judge of quality for Final Fantasy, if that was the case, people would hardly ever talk about 4,5,6 &9.

I don't know about 4,5 & 6 but 9 is one of the best selling games on the PS1.

@frogdog said:

Not really risk, when square spent 5x the amount of their budget try to chase Uncharched, when the competion spent less (Uncharched only cost about $20 million)If anything it's an overestimation on Square's part.

How isn't that a risk? If I overestimate what I'm going to make off a game and it doesn't make that, then I lost money.

Breath of Fire hasn't been good since the 3rd one.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

I have barely even touched Square Enix games and rarely do I ever play JRPG's whatsoever. Capcom kind of went downhill with Resident Evil 6, but I still enjoyed it nonetheless. I actually liked the DmC reboot, Ninja Theory did a pretty good job.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Capcom. Square announced KHIII and I don't even care about FF, so they're on my good side.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By frogdog

@vance_astro:

I don't know about 4,5 & 6 but 9 is one of the best selling games on the PS1.

Just search any Final Fantasy thread, Sales hardly talked about, when people disscus their favorite final fantasy game.

How isn't that a risk? If I overestimate what I'm going to make off a game and it doesn't make that, then I lost money.

Let me re-phase my speech, it was a risk, but it was risk that didn't work their Favor, seeing how they didn't break even in the first three months, nor made more money than it's competitor

KingOfAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By KingOfAsh

Square Enix are evil hacks