Posted by Paracelsus (1471 posts) - - Show Bio

I have long considered it to a romantic cliche that someone (irrespective of gender or sexual orientation) could in reality "die of a broken heart" but recent medical studies have suggested that it may very well contain a "kernel of truth", not to mention news items that the widowered husband of "Dr Who" actress Mary Tamm died of a heart attack on the day of her funeral.

What do you think?

Terry

#1 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess it could be possible that people get so depressed the start becoming unhealthy partly through not caring about sustaining themselves and partly through physical manifestations of that depression (it has a word and I can't quite remember what that word is)

#2 Posted by SC (12511 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, statistically speaking as far as increases in how much more likely you are to die post the death or loss of a loved one versus pre. What I remember as far reading on the subject is that its more common naturally the older you are, that or age is a big factor as well. Still, it is still a bit of a romantic cliche. Plus we shouldn't really be too surprised that a person losing the closest person to them will have more than just negative emotional repercussions.   

#3 Posted by ShootingNova (15347 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, probably yes. This would be a reference to depression, or types of said depression.

@SC said:

Yes, statistically speaking as far as increases in how much more likely you are to die post the death or loss of a loved one versus pre. What I remember as far reading on the subject is that its more common naturally the older you are, that or age is a big factor as well. Still, it is still a bit of a romantic cliche. Plus we shouldn't really be too surprised that a person losing the closest person to them will have more than just negative emotional repercussions.

Yeah.

#4 Posted by TERMINATORXX (3899 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes its possible.... Since broken hearts would pretty much lead to stress and stress isnt good for your heart, then again I have stress for no reason at all, but if my heart got broken it could lead to depression and depression doesnt mix very well with stress... So yes I think broken hearts can lead to health problems. especially girls, they say their hearts can be alot more fragile.

#5 Posted by Paracelsus (1471 posts) - - Show Bio

Strangely enough this post was inspired by Peta Wilson's character Mina Harker in "The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen" when she says to her estranged lover Dorian Gray(Stuart Townsend) "You broke my heart once- you missed!"(he had previously treated her as "little more than an entertainment"). Doctors note that women(esp after a relationship breakup) are more prone to "broken heart syndrome".

Terry

#6 Posted by YoungJustice (6654 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. Depends on how you handle depression though. Depression-Eating-Overweight-High Blood Pressure(sometimes)-Heart Diasese

#7 Posted by Saren (25241 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by TDK_1997 (14451 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends.

#9 Posted by nickthedevil (11411 posts) - - Show Bio

Answer is stress. Stress kills.

#10 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7561 posts) - - Show Bio

From things I've read on instances like this I would have so say I agree that it's possible.

#11 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19892 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, a thread you made that doesn't focus on ridiculous conspiracy theories!

Bravo!

Also :

@SC said:

This.

"Be water my friend"

#12 Posted by 7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning (3578 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#13 Posted by GoldenStar66 (598 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course.

#14 Posted by RazzaTazz (9450 posts) - - Show Bio
@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: Your segueway was not necessary.  I suggest for the future less confrontation, more water.  
#15 Posted by Strider92 (16032 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on how you view it. Loss of a loved one causes stress and depression which can lead to death if not properly managed. So I guess you could say that you can.