Can whites be the victim of "hate crimes"(esp by blacks)?

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Paracelsus

My good friend Julia Millard(who is white and more to the point politically conservative) has recently drawn my attention to a news item in which two black youths beat to death an elderly white WWII veteran in Mississippi.

Why, she asks, do killings of blacks by whites( pace Trayvon Martin back in February by vigilante George Zimmerman) attract much commentary(even from current US President Barack Obama, who rarely comments on racial matters) and even more express condemnation(from everybody save maybe Rush Limbaugh and the Grand Wizard Of The Ku Klux Klan-not that I can see much difference between both- the Grand Wizard wears a hood and robes and Limbaugh a three piece suit), whilst racist assaults and even murders of whites by blacks is rarely a talking point outside the overtly racist white supremacist media.( She insists that she is not a bigot and I believe she is sincere)

Hm- I agree that "reverse racist" murders of whites by blacks in the US is in theory and practice possible( pace the notorious "Zebra murders" in San Francisco by a splinter group of the Nation of Islam in 1973-74), but available evidence suggests that these incidents are relatively rare(between 1880 and 1968, three thousand African American men(mainly), women and even children were lynched by whites.

It is not clear that the murder of the veteran in Mississippi was racially motivated at least as yet according to preliminary press reports( and anyway given Mississippi's notorious history of first slavery and then segregation-including lynchings, I am sorely tempted to chuckle over this allegedly "racist" assault- two wrongs do NOT make one right!) as tragic as it may have been.

I may be an outsider but I have detected no evidence of a racially motivated crime spree/pogrom against white victims by African American predators in the US!

Anybody else think as I do?

Terry

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By PapiNacho

Well in regards to your paragraph, I would have to be more informed to give you an answer. In regards to the topic question, absolutely. Anybody can be a victim of intolerance.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Until the murder is found to be racially motivated, no it is not a hate crime.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes just call Saul

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

I'm not sure it "reverse racist" is the right way to word that. I think it's just racism no matter who's the attacker and victim.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 the_stegman  Moderator

Racism is racism, there's no "reverse racism"

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure it "reverse racist" is the right way to word that. I think it's just racism no matter who's the attacker and victim.

Calling it "reverse racism" implies it's okay for whites to be racist against blacks (but not the other way around).

jesse1018

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jesse1018

It's pretty easy to do a Google search for black (or any other race) hate crimes and find some hits. The difference is in publicity. There are a lot of groups, most notably the NAACP, which make it a point to bring hate crimes against blacks to light. The Trayvon Martin case being a perfect example. Most racism, though, has shifted to institutional racism, and is less often about assault. Blacks have a long history of disenfranchisement, so racial stories against blacks tend to be harder hitting.

On the flip side, did you hear about this story? It was recent and confirmed, but no one was there to popularize it. Have you ever been told to not be a white guy in the wrong neighborhood? Why would skin color matter in that instance? Why aren't those stories all over the news? I'm not saying there is an anti-white movement, but as long as bigotry exists there will be racial hate crimes.

The case of the WW2 vet is popularized because the man was old and soldiers, especially vets, are high in public opinion right now (I think soldier have the highest occupation approval rating). I don't think that particular case was racial, and falsely attributing a racial element to it makes the reality of other hate crimes lose a little bit of credibility (like crying wolf). Unfortunately, the NAACP also does a lot of 'crying wolf', which is why many white people refuse to take the racial aspect of a news story as seriously.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Racism is stupid. "Reverse racism" is racism. A crime is a crime whether it's a hate crime or not.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Cable_Extreme

To kill, injure, or target anyone due to race is a hate crime. But if it is simply targeting someone without a race motivation ,then it is not a hate crime, but a crime nonetheless.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anybody can be a victim of a hate crime. There is history to black people being treated poorly by white people, though. It's tragic when anyone kills anyone. To say racism towards white people from black people is the same as white people being racist toward black people is stupid. It is a complete disregard of history. You're friend seems to be oversimplifying things, and while she may claim not to be a bigot, might be slightly prejudiced. (Which everyone is, to a degree.)

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Bruxae

I dont know much about the crime in question but in general I dont assume a black man killing a white man or vice verse is automatically racially motivated.. Its just one human being an idiot. But yes, racism is possible, no matter what "race" starts it.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By cameron83

Yes. A race crime happens to all ethnicities and by people of all ethnicities. Its done and happens to none in particular.

However, when there is a in difference in race, it doesn't automatically make it a hate crime, especially since race may not have even been considered by that person

I will answer in detail later, but I agree with most everyone above me...like the things concerning reverse racism, which is a stupid term.

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paracelsus: Did they take anything? Also are you familiar with the term Wild 'n out?

Avatar image for cezar_thescribe
Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Whites are victims of crimes all the time. A lot of the time it is because they are white.

A crime is a crime, and should be punished the same way.

"Hate crimes" is something worthless liberals came up with.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Whites are victims of crimes all the time. A lot of the time it is because they are white.

Yes.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Given that most journalists or TV reporters(even in 2013) tend to be white, it is difficult to believe that the US media(even FOX TV!) is wilfully concealing the incidence of black on white violent crime!

Terry

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lowlaville

I personally don't believe in racism... its so stupid. Its annoying but if you get up from your seat and give it to a women standing inside a bus... it somehow becomes an unspeakable crime?

jesse1018

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ran across this interesting bit while trying to do some online research:

Analysis of the 1999 FBI statistics by John Perazzo in 2001 found that white violence against black people was 28 times more likely (1 in 45 incidents) to be labelled as a hate crime than black violence against white people (1 in 1254 incidents). In analyzing hate crime hoaxes, Katheryn Russell-Brown propounds a hypothesis explaining the disparity in how hate crimes against whites are viewed with respect to hate crimes against blacks. She hypothesises that the prevailing view in the minds of the public, that hate-crimes-against-blacks hoaxers intend to take advantage of, is that the crime that whites are most likely to commit against blacks is a hate crime, and that it is hard for (in her words) "most of us" to envision a white person committing a crime against a black person for a different reason. The only white people who commit crimes against black people, goes the public belief, are racially prejudiced white extremists. Whereas in contrast, she continues, the situation with hate-crimes-against-whites hoaxers differs, because the popular perception is that black people in general are liable to "run amok, committing depraved, unprovoked acts of violence" against white people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_crime_laws_in_the_United_States

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any race Can be a target of hate crimes and black people aren't the hate crime type but it could be construed that way when the crime is committed

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

You're using the term reverse racism wrong, reverse racism is when someone is overly nice to someone just because they are a different race. Like when a white person walks around on egg shells around black people. As far as a black killing a guy because he is white that is just regular racism. I don't know that its as big a problem as white on black hate crimes as far as numbers go but it does happen. I personally find the distinction of hate crimes a little iffy at best anyway, is it really any worse to kill someone over their skin tone than it is to kill someone for money, or just for the hell of it?

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Racism- The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hate crime and hate speech are stupid concepts. its basically thought crime. crimes are crimes. if someone you knew was brutally murdered would you really care that "oh well at least the person believed in equal pay for women"

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why does everything have to be about race? murder is murder no matter what the color of the person skin is

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

@xwraith said:

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

@the_stegman said:

Calling it "reverse racism" implies it's okay for whites to be racist against blacks (but not the other way around).

Yeah, pretty much this. It also makes it sound...almost acceptable or something.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Everybody could be a victim of hate crime. But it is more likely to happen with minorities.

Avatar image for marionettegeist
Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I once saw a black woman insulting a group of white people calling them crackers and she got called a racist. She responded "I can't be racist, I'm black!"

The idea that black people can't be racist and that only white people can, is racist itself.