Can Spiders Really Reach The "Size Of A Puppy"?

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

photo credit: Piotr Naskrecki

If you’re an arachnophobe who has spent time on Facebook during the last week, you’re likely already keenly aware of the the picture of the South American Goliath bird-eating tarantula that has been going around, taken by wildlife photographer Piotr Naskrecki. Described as the size of a puppy, many have been hoping against hope that this nightmare-inducing creature has been photoshopped, exaggerated, or both. Sad to say, it hasn’t.

Naskrecki noticed the spider while in Guyana, a South American country between Venezuela and Suriname. He claims he initially thought it was a possum or some other small mammal. He soon became a bit unsettled when he realized it was actually a gigantic spider.

Image credit: Piotr Naskrecki

Despite the spider’s nickname, the Goliath bird eater doesn’t typically eat birds. Endemic to the rainforests in South America, this tarantula hunts on the ground, which limits how many birds it would even contact. Typically, the Goliath’s food of choice is earthworms and insects. However, it will also eat small rodents, snakes, or frogs if they are available.

The moniker “Goliath” is well-deserved, as it is considered to be the most massive species of spider on the planet. The spider has a legspan up to 11 inches (28 centimeters) and a body about the size of an adult’s fist. Altogether, it weighs about 6 ounces (170 grams) which is about the same as a medium-sized apple, or a puppy right after it is born. Naskrecki notes that the spider is so heavy, its footsteps sound like tiny horse hooves as they pound on the ground.

The spider certainly did not appreciate Naskrecki being on the ground and photographing it so closely, so it let him know by creating a hissing sound. Humans are much too large for Goliaths to attack as prey, so such attacks are usually only done in self-defense. When threatened, Goliaths rub their serrated hairy legs together, which generates a hissing soundaudible from 15 feet away. The rubbing also releases the urticating hair into the air, which are irritating to skin and are used to deter anyone from coming too close. Naskrecki’s face took the brunt of the damage from the spider, as several of the bristles entered his eye. Heexplains on his blog that the experience left him with sore, watery eyes for days to come.

Image credit: Piotr Naskrecki

In another aggressive display to try to scare Naskrecki away, the spider showed its fangs in a threatening way. Tarantula fangs are up to 1.5 inches (4 centimeters) long, which are definitely large enough to pierce human skin and create a painful bite. The spider’s venom isn’t typically strong enough to kill someone who is not allergic to it, but will cause pain and nausea for days to come. Luckily, Naskrecki did not have to feel the business end of those fangs.

Though the Goliath is the most massive spider on the planet, the Giant Huntsman, discovered in Laos, has a slightly wider leg span.

If you’d like to read more about Naskrecki’s up close experience with this massive spider, be sure to read the entry on his blog, The Smaller Majority.

[Hat tip: LiveScience]

[All images are property of Piotr Naskrecki]

http://www.iflscience.com/no-puppy-sized-spider-isn-t-photoshopped

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

My bullsh*t alarm is ringing so loud -_-

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By Samimista

@dragonborn_ct: Lol! I'm gonna get you the spider for your Birthday soon! :D

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SilverPool
No Caption Provided

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

F*ck bug spray, I need to get me a grenade launcher to control these steroid freaks.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pls no.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By slimj87d

Yes, I own this tarantula, one of the few owners that own a true goliath birdeating spider, not the cousin species sold in stores.

Now a puppy is really small when it is just born. This article exaggerates how big they are. They get up to 10 to 12 inches with the legs fully expanded out.

xNahtebx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awww I so want that to be true. Also if you could train them like puppies that would be fabulous ^_^

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xnahtebx: it is true though... They didn't list what kind of puppy at what age.

xNahtebx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xNahtebx

@slimj87d said:

@xnahtebx: it is true though... They didn't list what kind of puppy at what age.

Ah I see! Hmm that is a little tricksy of them :/

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

@xnahtebx said:

Awww I so want that to be true. Also if you could train them like puppies that would be fabulous ^_^

Tbh, I think spiders are very cute. Especially with their eyes.

Would so snuggle with a puppy sized spider! :D

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By slimj87d

@xnahtebx: I have this very species of tarantula. The center of it is the size of a medium hamster, the legs expand out pretty far, my tarantula is about 10.5 inches in diameter if her legs are completelyextended out.

xNahtebx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xnahtebx said:

Tbh, I think spiders are very cute. Especially with their eyes.

Would so snuggle with a puppy sized spider! :D

I love them! They really are cute as hell :)

@slimj87d said:

@xnahtebx: I have this very species of tarantula. The center of it is the size of a medium hamster, the legs expand out pretty far, my tarantula is about 10.5 inches in diameter if her legs are completelyextended out.

Wow! That is so cool! Wish I could get one, everyone else in our house is petrified of them though :/

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Tell you what - stick wings on that thing and inform me that it's migrating to Scotland and I will happily jump under the first bus I see.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want one

okayalright_44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Kill it with fire!

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only Goliath Bird Eaters can (overall mass wise). Even then they're pretty harmless and have low chance of envenomation. I heard their hair can give you a rash though.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sure hope not.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d568743bdb8
deactivated-57d568743bdb8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A bag full of nope

OrdinaryAlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By OrdinaryAlan

*sees picture of puppy sized spider*

No Caption Provided

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another place I'll be sure not to visit.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ScouterV
DeAnnunaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably. There's a lot in the world that we don't know about yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

No Caption Provided

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, time to burn down the forests of South America

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like spiders lol. I know they don't usually bite for no reason but wouldn't want to piss that thing off lol. And I thought the Mexican Tarantula was big(which it is, it's bigger than your hand) this thing though lol.

I wonder if they'd let you pet it lol

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d said:

Yes, I own this tarantula, one of the few owners that own a true goliath birdeating spider, not the cousin species sold in stores.

Now a puppy is really small when it is just born. This article exaggerates how big they are. They get up to 10 to 12 inches with the legs fully expanded out.

A new born puppy can fit in your hand easy. A 12 inch leg span cannot. I don't think 12 inches is an exaggeration, lol.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By slimj87d
No Caption Provided

@monsterstomp: Well the tarantula curls up, they don't fully expand out all the time. Curled up they're about 4 to 6 inches. Here's a pic of my tarantula.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d said:

@monsterstomp: Well the tarantula curls up, they don't fully expand out all the time. Curled up they're about 4 to 6 inches.

That is still a hand full. Just imagine a half a sub. Even in curled up mode, I think the puppy comparison is an understatement, unless its a 6 month old puppy who is destined to becoming a huge dog.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp: Above, I have posted a picture of my Goliath. Hope it helps you picture it biting your face. :D

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers