Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#51  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@hylian:

Not really. When we judge objectively from a literally stand-point, such as: character development, complexity, motives, originality, etc, etc - Goku fails on all levels.

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@ariesxmasterssaid:

Haha what are people saying Goku is cracked up to be?

A God of any sort.

@hylian said:

I think Goku is a better character

Goku is literally one of the worst characters in fiction; words like character development and common sense is absents whenever we discuss his "character".

Annnh God is a title not a how powerful someone is. Wonder Woman is a god, but does that make her any stronger than she was when she wasn't? No.

I understand you don't like Goku. But I could say the same about Superman's character developments as well. As much as I like Superman his current books aren't that interesting in the character development or interesting area either (Minus like JL and maybe Wonder Woman- Superman) in his solo tittles he is still pretty much doing the same old same old fly, punch, fly, punch, fly, punch.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ariesxmasterssaid:

Annnh God is a title not a how powerful someone is. Wonder Woman is a god, but does that make her any stronger than she was when she wasn't? No.

There is a very stark difference between god with a lower-case g and God with an upper-case C. The latter implies a supreme deity, the former does not.

@ariesxmasterssaid:

I understand you don't like Goku.

Basically, because his a rip-off of Superman, and has no notable personality traits besides he loves to eat and fight. Literally, nothing else at all.

@ariesxmasterssaid:

But I could say the same about Superman's character developments as well. As much as I like Superman his current books aren't that interesting in the character development or interesting area either (Minus like JL and maybe Wonder Woman- Superman) in his solo tittles he is still pretty much doing the same old same old fly, punch, fly, punch, fly, punch.

Over the years, Superman has undergone changes, and conflicts that Toriyama couldn't possibly dream of making for any of his characters. Oh, and there is also that factor that Superman sports that Goku doesn't; originality.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dccomicsrule2011:

Hmmm your God to god comparison is interesting.

I still don't see how Goku is a Superman rip off. Both of their personalities to their looks are completely different only thing similar is there back story and that is about it, but then again like every other super heroes parents have died as well so I'm not surprised.

Well I mean Goku does only have 1 Manga and a few movies. Superman has 10,000+ Comics and has been out for 75+ years, so yes, Superman is bound to have gone through some changes, and had some really good times in his Comic and had some really crappy times in his Comic just as Batman did as well. But this whole Goku vs Superman thing seems to be the real reason you dislike Goku which is kind of silly IMO.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hylian said:

@dccomicsrule2011 said:

@hylian said:

@dccomicsrule2011 said:

@hylian said:

If Superman is considered a god than Goku is to

Not really. This implies that Superman and Goku are on equal terms; which they're not. Goku was going impaled by stalactite and penetrated by needles; Superman has taken the effects of exploding Stars---point blank range, in fact.

But they are very similar

If by similar, you mean the fact that Goku is a weak, Superman rip-off, I agree.

I disagree with you there

Superman was shipped out to Earth of a ship before his world was destroyed - a world the boasted a super advanced and powerful race of people; Goku was shipped of the Earth when his planet exploded - that also included a race of super powered race of people. Superman powers include: strength, invulnerability,super speed, flight, Goku include the same thing. I can keep going on and all, honestly.

The dude is a clear rip-off , and Goku being weaker than Superman is obvious to all unbias eyes...

Son Goku was based off of Son Wukong.

Your argument is invalid, my good man.

As for character development, why fix something that isn't broken? Goku's fine the way he is.

Anyway, as for calling him a God, I see no reason not to. It's all about how you define the term "God."

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@scoutervsaid:

Son Goku was based off of Son Wukong.

Your argument is invalid, my good man.

Of course Wukong was the main inspiration, but Toriyami himself has admitted Goku is influenced by Superman as well.

@scoutervsaid:

As for character development, why fix something that isn't broken? Goku's fine the way he is.

Goku sucks as a character. He has zero layers, no depth, and his motives is to fight for the sake of fighting.

That's my point.

@scoutervsaid:

Anyway, as for calling him a God, I see no reason not to. It's all about how you define the term "God."

God with a capital "G" implies a supreme deity, usually; Goku isn't that.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dccomicsrule2011:

Goku take elements from Superman. So do a lot of heroes. You wouldn't call them all rip-offs. However, the main-basis for the character is Sun Wukong. Ergo, Goku couldn't be a "rip-off" as you say.

What's your point? Superman fights to protect people, Batman fights crime to avenge his parents, Naruto wants to be Hokage, at the end of the day, everyone has some pretty shallow motivations. So what if his reason for fighting is to get stronger? Haven't you ever heard the phrase "less is more?"

Usually, but perhaps not in this case. I mean, he essentially is a God amongst the remaining Saiyans. Whis has offered to train him to replace Beerus. He's attained Super Saiyan Godhood. Sounds pretty Godly to me.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scoutervsaid:

Goku take elements from Superman. So do a lot of heroes. You wouldn't call them all rip-offs.

Depends on the character to be honest.

@scoutervsaid:

However, the main-basis for the character is Sun Wukong. Ergo, Goku couldn't be a "rip-off" as you say.

If you say so.

@scoutervsaid:

What's your point? Superman fights to protect people, Batman fights crime to avenge his parents, Naruto wants to be Hokage, at the end of the day, everyone has some pretty shallow motivations. So what if his reason for fighting is to get stronger? Haven't you ever heard the phrase "less is more?"

You ignored everything else I've said that makes him a sucky character. Superman characters has went through several developments over the decades, I would also add that his character as excellent depth; Batman is one of the more layered characters in the history of fiction. Goku is none of that. He sucks as a character. I have no idea why you"re bringing Naruto up, because he's only a tad bit superior to Goku in the characters department - he sucks as well.

Is Goku a fun,enjoyable and likable character? Sure, but is a "great" character, by objective measures? No.

@scoutervsaid:

Usually, but perhaps not in this case.

For me it is. If you don't meet up with the Supreme deity category, than you're aren't a "God". God with a lower-case G perharps - but then again, the same could be said for Spider-Man as well.

botanix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman is in some part based on Jesus so hes a rip-off too. And Yes, in our world Goku would be a God among humans.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scoutervsaid:

Goku take elements from Superman. So do a lot of heroes. You wouldn't call them all rip-offs.

Depends on the character to be honest.

@scoutervsaid:

However, the main-basis for the character is Sun Wukong. Ergo, Goku couldn't be a "rip-off" as you say.

If you say so.

@scoutervsaid:

You ignored everything else I've said that makes him a sucky character. Superman characters has went through several developments over the decades, I would also add that his character as excellent depth; Batman is one of the more layered characters in the history of fiction. Goku is none of that. He sucks as a character. I have no idea why you"re bringing Naruto up, because he's only a tad bit superior to Goku in the characters department - he sucks as well.

Is Goku a fun,enjoyable and likable character? Sure, but is a "great" character, by objective measures? No.

@scoutervsaid:

Usually, but perhaps not in this case.

For me it is. If you don't meet up with the Supreme deity category, than you're aren't a "God". God with a lower-case G perharps - but then again, the same could be said for Spider-Man as well.

Going through development, and becoming/staying an entertaining and fun character are not the same thing. It's all opinion. While I would agree with you that Superman has depth and lots of development, I personally don't care for Batman despite all the depth and layers, so what does that say? I brought up Naruto because he's no different than anyone else here. I could have just as easily said someone like Sasuke Uchiha or Jason Todd. While I like one, and always have, I've actually grown to loath one character who has gone through a lot of major changes in his series.

And we just apparently have different definitions of what a God is.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goku > superman >>Casper the friendly ghost

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I say thee nay.

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bills could still beat him...

Gambit474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always thought the whole "Super Saiyan God" title was dumb since Goku didn't even win against Bills. I just view SSG as their way of replacing SS4

NighThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

@hylian said:

If Superman is considered a god than Goku is to

Not really. This implies that Superman and Goku are on equal terms; which they're not. Goku was going impaled by stalactite and penetrated by needles; Superman has taken the effects of exploding Stars---point blank range, in fact.

I hope you realize resistance to cutting/stabbing is entirely different than energy damage resistance right? And then the fact Goku's shown the ability to increase his cutting durability with his ki.

And then you reference the cold cast hyper bole feat I'm assuming?

flashback0180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok let's look at the facts.

Are all gods omnipotent = no

Are all gods powerful = no

can there be thousands of gods in 1 religion = yes

Does Goku have GOD KI = yes

Is the transformation stated to be a sayien god transformation = yes

Does Goku consider himself a god = no

Does he want the title = no

In conclusion, goku is a powerful alien with alien God powers

Avatar image for albertphytagoras
Albertphytagoras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In our world he would basically be a god, just like Superman is to the average person in DC. Not a literal god, however.

korrasami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heh. Its funny how people mention Superman when the topic is about Goku.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's because it's one of the only things DBZ has these days to feel relevant, by comparing Son, to a far better and more powerful character.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@korrasami said:

That's because it's one of the only things DBZ has these days to feel relevant, by comparing Son, to a far better and more powerful character.

No Caption Provided

:)

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

The god of Earth is Kami.

Goku is not a god and can't be considered one.

andr4132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump