Can any single dog beat a Cougar or a Jaguar?

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Rhodesian Ridgebacks took down Lions in Kenya. It was what they were bred to do.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

There are actually some dogs that are bred to take on Lions...

Rhodesian Ridgebacks

And something everyone on this thread is seemingly misinformed about is that most dogs mentioned one here are bred to HUNT animals like Lions, not take them on. The hunters would take a group with them and hold the the lion or whatever at bay while the hunter kills them. There is now way any dog, by itself, could engage a feral cat like a Jaguar. They have massive frames that could kill a human by playfully jumping on them.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#53  Edited By Pharoh_Atem
DoomGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe a cougar. But i doubt any dog could take a Jaguar.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#55  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Tibetan Mastiff are bread to protect herds from leopards

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 juiceboks  Moderator

@samimista Yea. I was pretty disappointed when I found out..he's with another family around my neighborhood so I guess he's doing okay. Haha wow that's pretty peculiar. I've never heard of a cat carrying toys in his mouth, what breed is he?

Hm..Jaeger..I like it. Not a big fan of Pacific Rim(mostly because I haven't seen it yet) but interesting name for a German Shepherd I'd say.

Nah, he was a miniature poodle named Chobo. He was pretty damn cute and overall lovable, but also extremely lazy when he was inside just like me. I used to call him to my room from anywhere in the house, then he'd come walking to jump on my bed and we would watch anime together. Really miss him now that I think about it..but it is what it is.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#57  Edited By GraniteSoldier

Rhodesian Ridgebacks, German Shepherds, Tibetan Mastiffs, Dingos, there are plenty of dogs that at are bred to fight off wild cats and wolf packs, so they can at the very least give a good fight.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Wolfrazer  Online
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@wolfrazer: The reason they have a big mane like that is so it's harder for wolves, leopards ect to be able to bite it's neck also this is for szie comparison

No Caption Provided

Last year a Chinese zoo got in trouble for trying to pass one off as a lion.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Wolfrazer  Online

@jonny_anonymous: Of course...also a lion? Really? You'd have to be blind for that...even then.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@jonny_anonymous: Of course...also a lion? Really? You'd have to be blind for that...even then.

I suppose you could say it's some rare type of lion

Avatar image for youmessinwithme
youmessinwithme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By youmessinwithme

cougar yes 136 pounds is very big for a cougar and they normally only attack woman or children in the wild if they attack humans at all. and i've seen one in the wild which ran away from me and my best friend.

Jaguars however HELL TO THE NAW!!! a Jaguar would kill any Dog drag it up a tree and eat it. a large south american Jaguar can be over 300 pounds making it the biggest Cat to climb trees and the biggest cat to drag it's prey up a tree. Jaguars also love water and have superior night vision, sight range, smell and hearing to a dog, i'm not sure but they also may have the longest pounce of any Cat, they also have the strongest bite force of any Big cat over 600 pounds stronger than a siberian tiger even though tigers bite force projections are using the biggest measurements of a tiger skull and Tigers can weigh over 800 pounds almost triple the weight of a jaguar.

when a jaguar attacks it's prey it doesn't just lock into the side of it's neck and bite it till it stops moving like other big cats. The Jaguar goes straight for the base of the skull and crushes it in a single powerful bite.

Jaguar's are more of an apex predator than other cats, Cheetah's are faster, tigers and lions are bigger and stronger with bigger teeth and claws that can penetrate deeper but I would say the Jaguar is the most evolved for killing.

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Maybe if fighting the strongest and healthiest specimen of Mastiff against the weakest possible specimen of Cougar/Puma the Mastiff would have a chance.

There is no chance in the case of the Jaguar no matter what dog is used.

As many have alluded to on this thread, dogs are more pack hunters using group strategies to wear out their opponents.

However, as both types of animals generally attempt suffocating throat attacks there is always the off chance of getting a lucky choke hold (animal version).

Everybody (thing) has an off day every now and again.

Avatar image for tastybloodistasty
TastyBloodIsTasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A Siberian Mountain Shepherd that's bred for Russian prisons probably could beat a Cougar. Those things are mini bears.

No Caption Provided

I want one.

sabracadabra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only one that might have a chance is anEnglish Mastiff. Even then im not too sure, especially against the jaguar.

Also, ridgebacks ,as far as I know, have never really gone out and attacked or hunted lions on their own.As an earlier poster said, they are used more to keep them at bay while their owners go for kill.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@experio said:

Nah.

@jayc1324 said:

No. They are too big and powerful. Also dogs don't have pride in a fight. If they start getting hurt or start to lose they will run away

@erik said:

Lol no.

really? NONE?

Guess I'm gonna have to get a pet bear.

The Tibetan Mastiff could. These gentle giants are bred to protect against Tigers and Snow Leopards.
The Tibetan Mastiff could. These gentle giants are bred to protect against Tigers and Snow Leopards.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@experio said:

@darkazrael999: how many of them exists?

You can see them all the time if you visit a Tibetan Monastery or even in Bhutan or Nepal.
I remember visiting one in Nepal with my parents when I was little. I got scared when a lot of them stopped our SUV. But they are friendly and I ended up playing with one which was almost more than twice my height. ^_^

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No Caption Provided

I reckon one of Ang Lee's Hulk dogs could take a jaguar or cougar, easy. :)

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

No. They are too big and powerful. Also dogs don't have pride in a fight. If they start getting hurt or start to lose they will run away

Pitbulls?

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

The tibetan mastiff is bred to alert humans to the presence of danger and to be able to confront wolves and leopards. It could very well hold it's own against a lone wolf or a snow leopard but a tiger? Not in a million years. They are bred to use normal livestock guard dog tactics, which are used to avoid confrontation and rely on their pack mastiffs (the most hardy mastiffs come from villages, where they often form packs). They are not bred to take on tigers three times their size alone. My guess is that in an uninterrupted, 1v1 fight, they can't beat anything more than a wolf. Leopards, cougars, jaguars, and tigers all would ultimate kill a mastiff. Some more quickly than others.

Also, this is a lion-head tibetan mastiff. It's hair makes it appear much larger than it actually is. To get a better impression of their size, see the tiger head tibetan mastiff.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#73  Edited By frozen  Moderator

Is this a joke? The answer is no. Dogs do not beat cats of such size. A Jaguar is pound for pound the strongest cat, with a jaw bite stronger than that of a Lion, muscle mass that would put a dog to shame and claws that could make a man bleed to death. Likewise, Cougars are powerful cats with robust limbs, they would kill dogs easily. They kill wolves.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By frozen  Moderator

Jaguars and Cougas (Jaguars especially) are bigger than Leopards. Dogs cannot grapple in a fight the way cats do. A jaguar would straight up crush a dog's skull, Cougars are more aggressive than Jaguars and more agile.

TERMINATOR-FAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Not at all. No dog can beat a huge cat. Even if a Pitbull went against a Couger, Tiger, Lion, Cheetah the Pitbull would get murdered!!!!

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Not at all. No dog can beat a huge cat. Even if a Pitbull went against a Couger, Tiger, Lion, Cheetah the Pitbull would get murdered!!!!

but isn't there a video with a pit bull beating a cougar in a cage?

Orician_Seis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends... If the dogs are trained by Michael Vick, well then they have a shot...

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 frozen  Moderator

@terminator-fan said:

I don't know if there is, but either they have done something to the Cougar, the Cougar is young or it's a very small Cougar.

A Cougar would rip a Pit-Bull's throat out, it's not even funny. Cougars are large cats, bigger than Leopards (despite Leopards being recognized as one of the four major cats).

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#79  Edited By Samimista

@samimista Yea. I was pretty disappointed when I found out..he's with another family around my neighborhood so I guess he's doing okay. Haha wow that's pretty peculiar. I've never heard of a cat carrying toys in his mouth, what breed is he?

Hm..Jaeger..I like it. Not a big fan of Pacific Rim(mostly because I haven't seen it yet) but interesting name for a German Shepherd I'd say.

Nah, he was a miniature poodle named Chobo. He was pretty damn cute and overall lovable, but also extremely lazy when he was inside just like me. I used to call him to my room from anywhere in the house, then he'd come walking to jump on my bed and we would watch anime together. Really miss him now that I think about it..but it is what it is.

Ah Pacific Rim is great but, I was thinking of this Jaeger:

No Caption Provided

Grey Fox. ^__^

Ah! I'm sorry to hear. =O Does the family know that the dog was yours? 0.o I hope you can still see him!

I think he's a tabby? He's a year and a half old now but, when he was a little kitten he was thrown out of a black SUV on the road behind my house. He's a very lovable cat but, hates being held. Have a feeling he was an outdoor cat before we got him. 0.o We have a screen porch so he can roam around in there. He also jumps against the molding of my door. Very playful kitty. His name is Zorro. ^__^ He's actually sleeping behind my laptop right now. =D

Aw! Chobo. =D I hope you can get another dog. Always great for company!

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@modernww2fare said:

@terminator-fan said:

I don't know if there is, but either they have done something to the Cougar, the Cougar is young or it's a very small Cougar.

A Cougar would rip a Pit-Bull's throat out, it's not even funny. Cougars are large cats, bigger than Leopards (despite Leopards being recognized as one of the four major cats).

My mistake, it was a Dogo Argentino.

Loading Video...

(It's in spanish though)

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@modernww2fare: There must be something else to that story, but even then that is hardly representative of such an encounter. Cougars can weigh up to 230lbs, they have sharper teeth/claws (also longer) and they have much stronger jaws. I've also maintained that a dog cannot grapple in the way that a can cat (the cat can use it's hind-legs and paw-swipes). They aren't as durable as the cats anyways.

Cougars are natural predators, and cats of such size will be able to kill dogs. I would imagine a pack of dogs could kill a cougar however. But Cougars nonetheless can take on lone wolves without too much trouble (It's the packs they can't handle).

Against a Jaguar is just slaughter, Jaguars are pound for the strongest cat and can drag an 800lb bull 25 feet. Jaguars at parity can weigh 350lbs, I'd imagine a Jaguar could defeat a Tiger of a similar size.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@modernww2fare: There must be something else to that story, but even then that is hardly representative of such an encounter. Cougars can weigh up to 230lbs, they have sharper teeth/claws (also longer) and they have much stronger jaws. I've also maintained that a dog cannot grapple in the way that a can cat (the cat can use it's hind-legs and paw-swipes). They aren't as durable as the cats anyways.

Cougars are natural predators, and cats of such size will be able to kill dogs. I would imagine a pack of dogs could kill a cougar however. But Cougars nonetheless can take on lone wolves without too much trouble (It's the packs they can't handle).

Against a Jaguar is just slaughter, Jaguars are pound for the strongest cat and can drag an 800lb bull 25 feet. Jaguars at parity can weigh 350lbs, I'd imagine a Jaguar could defeat a Tiger of a similar size.

They probably clipped it's claws?

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This dog can:

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for kaijukinggojira
KaijuKingGojira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe a Cougar but not a Jaguar. Those things hunt Silverbacks.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By modernww2fare

Maybe a Cougar but not a Jaguar. Those things hunt Silverbacks.

you're thinking of the leopard lol

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@dccomicsrule2011: It's not ridiculous at all. It's been done by many breeds of dogs many times before. Recently a 8 month old Dogo Argentino saved two little girls by single handling mauling a full grown cougar to death.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@ostyo said:

@dccomicsrule2011: It's not ridiculous at all. It's been done by many breeds of dogs many times before. Recently a 8 month old Dogo Argentino saved two little girls by single handling mauling a full grown cougar to death.

...n!gga what?

I don't acknowledge post I made over 3 months ago. Sorry.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Maybe a very big and strong Hyena, but I doubt it.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By legacy6364

The "Siberian Mountain Shepherd" and the "Tibetan Mastiff" are the only breeds that can stand a chance against a Leopard.

But Cougars and Jaguars are heavy hitters.

generator2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deathstroke02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thanks doge

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@laflux said:

Depends on the Size of the Cougar or Jaguar. No Dog is taking a 300 pound Jauguar or 230 pound Cougar in a straight fight though.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Erik

@ostyo said:

NOT what happened at all. According to the source, the puma was in mid-leap at the girls when the dog latched onto the puma's neck. From there, all the dog did was hold it down until the owner could put a knife in the puma.

Source

The dog didn't beat the puma. The dog only held on for dear life until someone with a big knife came along and defeated the puma.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 rogueshadow  Moderator

Krypto.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik: Well, considering the owner said the cougar was dead by the time he got there, I'm now left in a situation where I would need his word directly to confirm or deny it.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo said:

@erik: Well, considering the owner said the cougar was dead by the time he got there, I'm now left in a situation where I would need his word directly to confirm or deny it.

Except he didn't say that. He said that he put the knife in the puma to kill it in the "What actually happened" posting. No sensationalized, dramatized TV spot. The posting I sourced was from the family that was in the Animal Planet TV spot. So I don't understand why you need their direct word on the matter when I just gave you a source that does this very thing.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik: I'm not trusting the word of one man when I've seen the owner say the opposite on camera. He could be telling the truth, but there's only one way to find out.

Iragexcudder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cats are forever better fighters than Dogs.

But a Great Dane, Irish Wolfhound or Akita could maybe do some damage.