• 104 results
#1 Posted by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread is to debate the validity of whether a person can be born gay or the opposite gender. Or is it a choice?

What do you think?

#2 Posted by ColonelRunAway (370 posts) - - Show Bio

3... 2... 1...

#3 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18170 posts) - - Show Bio

No its not a choice.

You can be born gay just like you can be born straight. Same goes with gender.

#4 Posted by laflux (16191 posts) - - Show Bio

No its not a choice.

You can be born gay just like you can be born straight. Same goes with gender.

#5 Posted by TotalBalance (742 posts) - - Show Bio

@pfcoolio14: Here is what mainstream science thinks: AAP Article

"A variety of theories about the influences on sexual orientation have been proposed.5 Sexual orientation probably is not determined by any one factor but by a combination of genetic, hormonal, and environmental influences.2 In recent decades, biologically based theories have been favored by experts. The high concordance of homosexuality among monozygotic twins and the clustering of homosexuality in family pedigrees support biological models. There is some evidence that prenatal androgen exposure influences development of sexual orientation, but postnatal sex steroid concentrations do not vary with sexual orientation. The reported association in males between homosexual orientation and loci on the X chromosome remains to be replicated. Some research has shown neuroanatomic differences between homosexual and heterosexual persons in sexually dimorphic regions of the brain.5 Although there continues to be controversy and uncertainty as to the genesis of the variety of human sexual orientations, there is no scientific evidence that abnormal parenting, sexual abuse, or other adverse life events influence sexual orientation.4,5 Current knowledge suggests that sexual orientation is usually established during early childhood.1,2,4,5"

#6 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes you are born with sexual tendencies and gender confusion.

Thread/

#7 Posted by judasnixon (6586 posts) - - Show Bio

Quick someone start popping some popcorn......... Oh yeah if you are getting drinks I'll have a rum and coke please.......... Thanks.

#8 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

I said thread/ god dammit.

#9 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7897 posts) - - Show Bio

Quick someone start popping some popcorn......... Oh yeah if you are getting drinks I'll have a rum and coke please.......... Thanks.

I got you a whiskey and coke. =).

#10 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21932 posts) - - Show Bio

In before the lock!

#11 Posted by ColonelRunAway (370 posts) - - Show Bio

This is actually going well.

Too well...

#12 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18170 posts) - - Show Bio

Waiting for the god squad to get and start saying its a sin,its not natural blah, blah blah "I am not a bigot I just think being gay is evil" blah blah blah.

#13 Edited by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate humanity. We never all agree on what's right. We truly are a f*cking despicable virus.

#14 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

This is actually going well.

Too well...

Just wait for it. We'll have the "lol it's like my adhd" guy anytime now.

#15 Posted by martyyy15 (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by ColonelRunAway (370 posts) - - Show Bio

@martyyy15: YOU'RE HERE!!! OH GOD, I WAS WORRIED SOMETHING HAPPENED TO YOU!

And so the constants of the universe continue on.

#17 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

I for one vote for Joygirl if she ran for president of the world. She would clean things up through swift justice.

#18 Posted by martyyy15 (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonelrunaway:

Nahh I'm done with these threads for the foreseeable future, I just wanted to adddress that one satement. See yaaaaa

#19 Edited by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

@martyyy15 said:

@innervenom123:

"ADHD guy" really -_- man I'm not even gonna

You shortened my post to make it seem offensive when it was really reflecting your own ignorance.

Nice work.

#20 Posted by laflux (16191 posts) - - Show Bio

I for one vote for Joygirl if she ran for president of the world. She would clean things up through swift justice.

Through the power of Bootyism =D

#21 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@glitch_spawn said:

@joygirl Make this happen.

#22 Edited by Vortex13 (12250 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@glitch_spawn said:

@joygirl Make this happen.

Agreed! Make it happen!

#23 Posted by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread is to debate the validity of whether a person can be born gay or the opposite gender. Or is it a choice?

What do you think?

I think you are kicking a hornets nest, but the writing is on the wall. It is not a choice. You are what you are, like it or not.

#24 Posted by King Saturn (224270 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably... I mean I don't remember being born straight honestly... I mean one day when I was 10 or 11 years old I felt my pee pee area get aroused by looking at Vanity on The Last Dragon... and then I knew I liked to look at girls and wanted to do fun things with them. I suppose it's the same way with Gay People... it just happens, they are at a young age and find themselves attracted to people of the same sex... I don't see why that would be such a bizarre concept to be a reality at all. I mean at no point did I choose for my wang and dumplings to be aroused by women... it just happen when I saw them. Same for Gays I think.

#NowthatswhatIcallaReply

#25 Posted by russellmania77 (15506 posts) - - Show Bio

Things can change your view as you grow one would be like being molested or you can simply just be gay from birth I guess

#26 Posted by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably... I mean I don't remember being born straight honestly... I mean one day when I was 10 or 11 years old I felt my pee pee area get aroused by looking at Vanity on The Last Dragon... and then I knew I liked to look at girls and wanted to do fun things with them. I suppose it's the same way with Gay People... it just happens, they are at a young age and find themselves attracted to people of the same sex... I don't see why that would be such a bizarre concept to be a reality at all. I mean at no point did I choose for my wang and dumplings to be aroused by women... it just happen when I saw them. Same for Gays I think.

#NowthatswhatIcallaReply

Ha! I clapped.

#28 Posted by King Saturn (224270 posts) - - Show Bio

#29 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (18170 posts) - - Show Bio

Things can change your view as you grow one would be like being molested or you can simply just be gay from birth I guess

Are you saying that being molested can make you gay? or what?

#30 Posted by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell with it, let me be that asshole. I don't think your BORN anything. You're born a certain gender, sure. That, you can change down the road I guess. Seems obvious, but that's how I took the question. Whatever, moving on.

As for the, "Are you born gay?" I don't think so. I don't think you're born to be straight either. I think it depends on how you look at people as you grow. I guess, maybe if parents are hard enough on their kids, they can decide what they want to be early on in life. I think it's more natural though. You either grow fond of girls, or fond of guys. I think you have somewhat of a choice. Doesn't mean you should be insulted for it though.

Really am tired though of seeing threads like this. It's not enough that I see the countless praising and appreciation to a certain sort of people who already get overly praised because of their "decision". Not like I'm getting a pat on the back for being a straight male, or anything like that. Insult me as you will for that.

#31 Posted by Vortex13 (12250 posts) - - Show Bio

What exactly are you saying? I'm confused.

#32 Posted by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@sideburnguru: atta boy! You sure do have it rough bein all straight and male and stuff. How did you ever overcome those adversities and all the people that hated and wanted to kill you?

#33 Posted by SC (13145 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know, can a person be born tall and the opposite political party?

Often people who aren't particularly knowledgable on gender, sex, sexual orientation, biology, and a few other things, can fall under the illusion that homosexuality is a choice, its a lifestyle choice, so on, but no, the majority of factors that typically contribute to and reflect their sexual desires for persons of the same sex and or gender are firmly out of their control and choice, and include genetics and hormones. Much like height. This doesn't mean that people don't also have sexual preferences or preferences they can develop foster and alter, but thats quite different from sexual orientation. So there is no "can" involved here, we know that people are born homosexual the same way people are born tall. Sure its hard to tell when they are babies with either, and since humans are biological organisms always changing so environmental factors may influence and contribute to how a person is (similarly with height), and sometimes its just a matter of relativity.

A lot of this is definitions and application, like when does a person start being a person anyway? How do you define gender? Reality isn't always as clear cut as language we use, invent to help us understand things. Sometimes when you have people who don't quite understand human embryology and how sex-determining chromosomes work you can end up oversimplifying it all. Some men defined as men because of their physical genitalia have xx chromosomes. Then you have to consider the role of testosterone levels and testosterone balance pre and post birth. Then around certain important developing points like puberty. Can be pretty interesting and complicated stuff that can't be explained by such simplistic sentiments as men are born men and woman are born woman end of. Really can depend.

#34 Posted by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@sideburnguru: atta boy! You sure do have it rough bein all straight and male and stuff. How did you ever overcome those adversities and all the people that hated and wanted to kill you?

Ignorance.

This is what happens when someone dares say "I feel as though they're getting too much treatment. I don't get this much. I don't see why they are." In this day and age, I hardly see it as bad for gay people. Is it in certain areas? Sure, but then again, there are still racist crimes. I don't see anymore BLACK parades, or anyone just walking up to a black kid and patting him on the back.

The only issue is gay marriage, then what? Are we still going to have to hype up ONE certain type of people? Others have had just as much stress, if not more than they have. Do you want to go walk up to the homless person, and pat him in the back? I bet he takes alot of shit. I bet people make fun of him when he doesn't deserve it.

There are people who still want to hate and kill people of certain races, religious beliefs, anything. I'm sorry I don't cater towards one area, and pamper them with sympathy.

Honestly, maybe I'm so harsh on it because of people like you. Maybe it's because of people like you that I have such resentment to show any sympathy, because I've seen how you omega supporters act when anyone dares say something that crosses their line. It's okay to overly praise, and you all want equality, but you best be damned if anyone doesn't support what everyone else supports.

#35 Edited by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

@mynamewasdeleted said:

Ignorance.

This is what happens when someone dares say "I feel as though they're getting too much treatment. I don't get this much. I don't see why they are." In this day and age, I hardly see it as bad for gay people. Is it in certain areas? Sure, but then again, there are still racist crimes. I don't see anymore BLACK parades, or anyone just walking up to a black kid and patting him on the back.

The only issue is gay marriage, then what? Are we still going to have to hype up ONE certain type of people? Others have had just as much stress, if not more than they have. Do you want to go walk up to the homless person, and pat him in the back? I bet he takes alot of shit. I bet people make fun of him when he doesn't deserve it.

There are people who still want to hate and kill people of certain races, religious beliefs, anything. I'm sorry I don't cater towards one area, and pamper them with sympathy.

Honestly, maybe I'm so harsh on it because of people like you. Maybe it's because of people like you that I have such resentment to show any sympathy, because I've seen how you omega supporters act when anyone dares say something that crosses their line. It's okay to overly praise, and you all want equality, but you best be damned if anyone doesn't support what everyone else supports.

I can see where you both are coming from on a baseline level, however sideburns you aren't really looking outside of North America on this one. You can and are likely be killed or harmed for being a homosexual in the middle east.

#36 Posted by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@sideburnguru said:
@mynamewasdeleted said:

Ignorance.

I can see where you both are coming from on a baseline level, however sideburns you aren't really looking outside of North America on this one. You can and are likely be killed or harmed for being a homosexual in the middle east.

I understand that.

On the other hand, if we look around the world? You can be killed for much pettier things. Hell, a woman can be killed by doing one petty thing that steps over the line.

In some areas, if you steal? They'll probably just cut off your finger. If you look at an official the wrong way, they might just throw you in jail. Extreme points? Sure. Does some of that happen? It's been said. I know the woman thing is true. Wasn't there a case in the middle east where a woman wanted a fair education, and she was shot?

Don't think the middle east should count towards anything, since their morality is so dated that it's not even funny.

#37 Posted by The Stegman (24630 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread is funny as hell.

#38 Edited by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

@sideburnguru: Well that's true. Israel and Palestine are a world of their own. Bat shit planet.

#39 Posted by HBKTimHBK (5242 posts) - - Show Bio

You've got to be kidding...

#40 Posted by ShadowX (1218 posts) - - Show Bio

@sideburnguru: I'm sorry no. Marraige isnt the only issue. Thats the only issue that the media shows you, because its the nicest issue. But people who are within the LGBT spectrum are more likely tohave violence against them, are more likely to be homeless. Jn many states its legal to fire somebody for being gay or trans. We still have churches like the westboro baptist church that are practically spefically created to hate in people in the lgbt spectum. Some lifelong partners cant see their loved ones if they are in the hospital, in some states. Its harder for us to adopt. Trans people still have to go through legal loops just to be seen as who they are. Trans people have to worry about going in public bathrooms because in either one they me be attacked for people thinking they are " going into the wrong one". The military still doenst allow trans people to serve.

And more...

We arent asking for praise we are asking to be equal to you, but since there are inequalities towards us, yes we have pride parade, which is a holiday to celebrate the start of the lgbt movement, the first pride parade was too celebrate the 1 year aniversarry of the stonewall riots.

One more thing, i just heard on the news of gay person being attacked and yelled at on the subway, a daY after pride Weekend. You dont here people being yelled at and physically assualted for being straight.

#41 Posted by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@glitch_spawn: Agreed.

People keep complaining about how America is so horrible. Please, I'd love anyone to go step over there for at least a week.

#42 Posted by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@sideburnguru: you live a charmed life... I envy you. To be so perfect? Wow, I could only hope for such a blessing. Get over yourself, you hate because you fear- you fear equality and respect- you fear a day when you will have to acknowledge a person for who they are and not WHAT they are. You, are a simple bigot. Grow a pair and claim it friend, you'll be a better human being after you accept yourself and make some attitude adjustments to fall in line with the rest of the modern world. Thanks a bunch for your input though, ignorance in all it's forms is a challenge- one I enjoy overcoming.

#43 Posted by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) - - Show Bio

@shadowx:

Which state is it legal to shoot gay people in? Especially since you said many states. I wanna know which states these are.

#44 Edited by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) - - Show Bio

@mynamewasdeleted said:

@sideburnguru: you live a charmed life... I envy you. To be so perfect? Wow, I could only hope for such a blessing. Get over yourself, you hate because you fear- you fear equality and respect- you fear a day when you will have to acknowledge a person for who they are and not WHAT they are. You, are a simple bigot. Grow a pair and claim it friend, you'll be a better human being after you accept yourself and make some attitude adjustments to fall in line with the rest of the modern world. Thanks a bunch for your input though, ignorance in all it's forms is a challenge- one I enjoy overcoming.

I'm pretty sure you're being the Jerk here. He had an opinion which was asked in the OP and you sarcastically mocked him. He replied and you do this.

#45 Posted by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

@mynamewasdeleted: Oh for the love of God. When did I ever say I was against equality? You stupid assuming moron, I never said that. If you weren't so warped in the head, thinking "ANYONE WHO DARES NOT PAMPER SOMEONE THAT IS HOMOSEXUAL, IS ACTUALLY ANTI-HOMOSEXUAL" then you'd realize I'm just against the idea of continously bending over backwards for only ONE group of people.

If you want the true realization of who's ignorant? Look in the mirror. I never said I was against equality. If you could point me to where I EVER said that, then I'd be glad to slowly, and simply break it down for you on how you must have mistaken it.

Fact of the matter is, I'm all for EVERYONE getting their rights. You just won't see me patting anyone on the back, for being homosexual. Just, like I said, you won't see me pat anyone on the back for being black. Or being white. Or being straight. Or being indian. Or being a trans. Or being anything.

You want equality? Do what I do. Treat everyone AS an equal.

#46 Edited by MyNameWasDeleted (679 posts) - - Show Bio

@shadowx:

Which state is it legal to shoot gay people in? Especially since you said many states. I wanna know which states these are.

She didn't say that you goofball- she said you can get fired from your job

#47 Posted by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) - - Show Bio

@pfcoolio14 said:

@shadowx:

She didn't say that you goofball- she said you can get fired from your job

Oh lol. Thanks for pointing that out.

#48 Edited by ShadowX (1218 posts) - - Show Bio

@pfcoolio14: oh not fire as in shoot, meant fire from a job.

#49 Posted by HBKTimHBK (5242 posts) - - Show Bio

It's only the first page and things are already out of hand...

#50 Edited by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) - - Show Bio