Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Dragonborn_CT
No Caption Provided

I am reviewing something different this time, instead of doing one of my in-depth reviews, I am reviewing Thor: the Dark World completely spoiler-free. I got to see in theaters on opening day, because here on Brazil, the Marvel Studios movies are released here before the US for some reason. I was pretty excited for Thor the Dark World, even though the trailers look painfully average with nothing really standing out in particular, I didn't particularly enjoyed the first Thor movie much after some time and with the massive disappointment that was Iron Man 3 and the pleasant surprise The Wolverine actually was, how does Thor 2 fare?

No Caption Provided

The plot takes place obviously after the Avengers, with Loki still imprisioned in Asgard, that is currently celebrating recently estabilized peace for the Nine Realms, as the time for a new king to take Odin's place, a ancient threat re-emerges with Malekith the Accursed, King of the Dark Elves, a alien race that was subjugated over 5000 years ago by Thor's grandfather Bor, and it was believed to be long extinct. Following an assault on Asgard by Malekith's dark forces, Thor teams up with Loki to breach the eponymous Dark World and take the fight to their enemy.

No Caption Provided

I am pleased to inform Thor 2 is a very good movie, while may not be the best one Marvel Studios made so far, its far better than Iron Man 3 (and with that said, the best one in Phase 2 at least). If you were particularly disappointed (like I was) with the first Thor movie lacking the atmosphere and tone to the Thor comics, this movie nails it. Less time is spend on Earth and more on the Nine Worlds, and Thor faces a much varied brand of mythological enemies than just Frost Giants. This one has a larger scope as well, which encompasses something greater than a more personal story, almost like they were channeling Lord of the Rings (which earns extra points with me). The battle sequences between the armies are pretty good, as well the fight scenes.

No Caption Provided

I will say up front that the plot isn't particularly original and this movie as whole doesn't bring nothing new to the table. Like every other Marvel movie they made so far, there is countless action setpieces that are interrupted by comedy tidibits like the ones established by the Avengers. As far as the cast, goes no one really stand out more than the others, but they do held up (most of the time), with Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston feeling more at home with their respective characters. It still irks me that the Asgardian characters are still thrown into the background when the focus is still on Thor and Jane's relationship. Which leads me into the negative points.

No Caption Provided

There are of course two weak links in the movie. The first one is Jane Foster, because she feels shoe-horned into this movie, even if they try to explain her presence, I honestly could have done without her. I know Natalie Portman may had loads of fun working on this (or maybe not, last time I checked), but I think she is here for two reasons: to provide a audience surrogate of humans into a foreign, supernatural world and the most obvious one, to serve as love interest for the protagonist. The other weak link is, unfortunately, our villain Malekith. He is completely forgettable with zero personality and a such bland motivation. He is not even imposing or menacing for that matter (you will not believe who kick his ass at the beginning). The most menacing villain in the movie is, oddly enough, his brutish lackey Kurse (who hands a ungodly stomp to several Asgardians), and unfortunately when it comes to charisma, you can't do much when you are standing next to Tom Hiddlestom (on a side note, there was a lot of girls in my session and there some points they would squee sh*tless when he appear onscreen). Its clearly not Christopher Eccleston's fault, as the man tries his hardest, but good acting can only get so far when the character is so generic.

No Caption Provided

But here is the thing I liked it a lot more better than in Iron Man 3. While in that movie, the emotional tense wasn't worked well properly and they were undercut by comedy moments or outright negated a few moments later, Thor 2 has some pretty dramatic sequences and they do leave some lasting influence in the movie. I won't spoil for you, but some side characters don't make it through the end and unlike IM3, they don't get better and their deaths stick. This gives a certain level sense of seriousness that I was expecting from Iron Man 3, and Thor 2 executes very well.

Final score - 8/10. So yeah, I really enjoyed Thor the Dark World. Might not be the best Marvel movie, but its fairly entertaining. Is it a movie I want to see it again? Eh, probably not. But its still a good time with friends or family. On a side note, there are two post-credit scenes but only the first one is worth sitting through. I won't say what it is, but it reveals a great deal of might be Phase 3 in the Marvel Studio movies.

Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoyed it. See ya next time =)

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Wolverine008

Sounds dope.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

nice honest review man. looking forward to this.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Nice review! Probably gonna see this with my friends.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MonsterStomp

Sounds dope.

Judging by the time difference from the OP to yours', you didn't even read it.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08 said:

Sounds dope.

I just looked at the 8/10 score.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@wolverine08 said:

Sounds dope.

That, or said person in question is a very fast reader......

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp said:

@wolverine08 said:

Sounds dope.

I just looked at the 8/10 score.

Lol, fair enough.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MonsterStomp
Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08 said:

@monsterstomp said:

@wolverine08 said:

@monsterstomp:

Reading is for chumps!

Says that on a comic book site.

Reading long, boring reviews is for chumps!

The OP should feel offended, Caio is the review king!

But...But... I put so much effort in my reviews and this one wasn't even that long D:

nice honest review man. looking forward to this.

Thanks, man!

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@dragonborn_ct: Loki stole the show literally with that post credit scene.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

great stuff.

I didn't even realize Thor was anywhere close to coming out

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Thor doesn't come out where I live for like...a week.

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

Nice review. I probably won't see this film for a while because I'll probably be really busy for the rest of this semester and may not have time for it but I can't wait to see it. I'm also glad to hear you found it to be better than Tony Stark 3 (though, asking for anything to be better than that movie is about as high an expectation as expecting someone to be able to climb over a two-foot tall fence). Sad to hear that the villain is kind of weak, though. I am hoping that we get Surtur in a third film (as long as they don't do anything stupid to him like a certain other Marvel movie that came out earlier this year) and hopefully he'll be great. Can't wait to see what's in store after the credits, too.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo: Shhh... Don't spoil it, man :P

@jonny_anonymous: Thanks, bro :)

Thor doesn't come out where I live for like...a week.

Marvel movies open in other countries before the US for some reason. It has been like this since... The first Thor movie I believe.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Wolfrazer

Aww no Beta Ray Bill appearing? Poo....oh well...there's always the next movie!

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aww no Beta Ray Bill appearing? Poo....oh well...there's always the next movie!

Sorry, man :P Maybe in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Nice review. I probably won't see this film for a while because I'll probably be really busy for the rest of this semester and may not have time for it but I can't wait to see it. I'm also glad to hear you found it to be better than Tony Stark 3 (though, asking for anything to be better than that movie is about as high an expectation as expecting someone to be able to climb over a two-foot tall fence). Sad to hear that the villain is kind of weak, though. I am hoping that we get Surtur in a third film (as long as they don't do anything stupid to him like a certain other Marvel movie that came out earlier this year) and hopefully he'll be great. Can't wait to see what's in store after the credits, too.

Thanks, bro. I am sorry to hear you will be unable to see this movie. As bland and generic Malekith is, he isn't as ridiculous as Killian was in Iron Man 3 (at least I never I call bs on Thor 2' villaim <_>). I am sure you would enjoy it :)

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Wolfrazer

@dragonborn_ct: Why would he appear there? I wanna see him kick Thor's ass, take his hammer and then get his own hammer and they be the Hammer Bros and go wreck **** up! On a site note, am excited for GotG too!

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dragonborn_CT

@wolfrazer: I have a feeling we will never see this onscreen and if it does, it wouldn't have been so good :P

I love the theme music

Ooga ooga chaka Ooga ooga chaka

Loading Video...

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Wolfrazer

@dragonborn_ct: Perhaps....also nice theme lol. I wanna see the trailer though! They best not screw up Rocket Raccoon though...<<

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed this movie. Loki was the MVP. Although it irks me that the mark on Malekith's face is on the wrong side.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dragonborn_ct: Perhaps....also nice theme lol. I wanna see the trailer though! They best not screw up Rocket Raccoon though...<<

ask and u shall have

from comic con

Loading Video...

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave said:

I really enjoyed this movie. Loki was the MVP. Although it irks me that the mark on Malekith's face is on the wrong side.

lol I didn't noticed it. I had to look up now that you mentioned xD

Mekboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just saw it and I really liked it.

PotatoOfDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

@dragonborn_ct: Hehe! xD I bet this must of been very hard to do spoiler-free. =O I do not know much of the spoilers except for that mid-credit scene we've talked about in PM last night? Nice seeing the aftermath of Avenger's.

To be quite honest I'm not really a fan of Thor's character? =O Do prefer Loki and Sif over him. Will admit, I do blush madly when I see Tom Hiddleston on screen (along with Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Jensen Ackles in their movies) but I never squeel over that. XD That's just a bit too much. Silly fangirls! Poor you to have to hear that. 0.0 Are you a fan of the Thor and Sif shipping by the way? Even though I'm not that fond of Thor's character I do really like the shipping? Natalie Portman is very beautiful but like you, I also find Jane to be a bit stale. =/

Overall, this is a great review! =D

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dragonborn_ct: Hehe! xD I bet this must of been very hard to do spoiler-free. =O I do not know much of the spoilers except for that mid-credit scene we've talked about in PM last night? Nice seeing the aftermath of Avenger's.

To be quite honest I'm not really a fan of Thor's character? =O Do prefer Loki and Sif over him. Will admit, I do blush madly when I see Tom Hiddleston on screen (along with Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Jensen Ackles in their movies) but I never squeel over that. XD That's just a bit too much. Silly fangirls! Poor you to have to hear that. 0.0 Are you a fan of the Thor and Sif shipping by the way? Even though I'm not that fond of Thor's character I do really like the shipping? Natalie Portman is very beautiful but like you, I also find Jane to be a bit stale. =/

Hehe thanks, my friend xD I can't wait to talk about spoilers, but I'd rather wait for you guys to see the movie yourselves.

Well, I do prefer Thor and Sif better, because honestly his relationship with Jane hasn't been very believable or developed at all. Thor and Sif on the other hand grew up together and share a lot in common so that is why they would make a better couple.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

@samimista said:

Hehe thanks, my friend xD I can't wait to talk about spoilers, but I'd rather wait for you guys to see the movie yourselves.

Well, I do prefer Thor and Sif better, because honestly his relationship with Jane hasn't been very believable or developed at all. Thor and Sif on the other hand grew up together and share a lot in common so that is why they would make a better couple.

Your welcome! =D

Agreed! I don't like Jane really. 0.0 Natalie Portman is beautiful but find the character boring. =O Now Sif, I love. 0.0 One of the best comic characters with how tough she is. Plus her and Thor go hand in hand. =D

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

What me and @wolverine08 really want to know is how much screen time does Kat Dennings get?

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux said:

What me and @wolverine08 really want to know is how much screen time does Kat Dennings get?

YES.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux said:

YES.

Dem Curves!

@dragonborn_ct:- Awesome review, buddy. I just wanna know one thing and thing alone. How much Godly Smiting does the Odinson does in this movie? :D

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 the_stegman  Moderator

I can't wait a week, so I may or may not be watching it online as we speak..so far...it's okay.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Dragonborn_CT

@wolverine08 said:

@laflux said:

YES.

While she does appear during the scenes set on Earth, the screentime on that has been reduced so that Asgard can shine. But when she does show up, her scenes are worth it ;)

@darkazrael999 said:

@dragonborn_ct:- Awesome review, buddy. I just wanna know one thing and thing alone. How much Godly Smiting does the Odinson does in this movie? :D

Thanks, bro. That is a interesting question, we do see a darker side of Odin as after the Malekith's initial attack cause some substantial damage that goes over his head (I won't say what its is, but when you see it you will understand why) and won't stop at nothing until the Dark Elves are completely destroyed. And I am struggling to NOT spoil it right now, but something about Odin in the end will make you go "WFT?!?!"

TheHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheHulk

Hulk will give this benefit of the doubt. Thor is going to drag Hulk and the other Avengers into seeing it the day it premieres.