Caio Reviews: Game of Thrones "Two Swords"

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Dragonborn_CT

Welcome my fellow Viners to the first entry of our review series of the Game of Thrones tv show! I figure I should have done this a long time ago, in this episode Tyrion welcomes a guest to King's Landing. At Castle Black, Jon Snow finds himself unwelcome. Dany is pointed to Meereen, the mother of all slave cities. Arya runs into an old friend.

In King's Landing

No Caption Provided

Okay, there is a lot of focus on KL this episode, perhaps a little more than it should have. Jaime gets two swords forged out of Ice (that is Ned Stark's sword, not literal ice) and a brand new golden hand. It doesn't make up the fact that almost everyone in his family decides to sh*t for whatever reason. Tywin wants him to return to retire as Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, but he refuses, Cersei admonishes him for not returning earlier, because nobody's feelings in the world matter, but her own and Joffrey belittles him for the loss of his hand and lack of accomplishments because he is a daft c*nt like that. except for Prince Oberyn Martell's intro. You know, I will be really surprised if this character doesn't became a fan favorite. Other than that, all scenes set in KL were rather uninteresting to watch... Well except for Prince Oberyn Martell of Dorne's of course. I will be really surprised if he don't turn out to be a fan favorite. His introduction scene establishes what we needed to know about him and it couldn't be more appropriate: he is selecting a prostitue to sleep with him AND his mistress Ellaria Sand, and if that wasn't enough he decides that the male handler should join the fun too ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) however when some Lannister goons interrupt it by singing the Rains of Castamere and then talking sh*t about him and his beloved, Oberyn puts them in their place by casually stabbing one of them in the hand.

No Caption Provided

Oberyn then explains why the Martells hate Lannisters. You see, way back into Robert's Rebellion, Oberyn's sister Elia was married to Prince Rhaegar Targaryen, the one who provoked the war. When King's Landing was sacked at the end of the war, Elia's children were butchered, while she was raped and murdered by Tywin's enforcer Gregor Clegane aka the Mountain. Oberyn believes this was done on Tywin's orders and so he tells Tyrion to warn his father that "the Lannisters aren't the only ones to pay their debts". Admittedly, this can be very hard to understand or follow for some viewers, especially the ones that stay away from the books or likely never watched the DVD extras to take this bit of infodump. Anyways, I was a bit upset they didn't get Oded Fehr to play Oberyn Martell, but Pedro Pascal does an impressive job and I can't wait to see more of him in the future.

"Take off your clothes" "Which way you like it?" "My way"

Other than that though, two little scenes that symbolize the complete and utter downfall of House Stark got me more than it should: one where Ned's greatsword Ice is melted into two swords (representing the obliteration of the last physical remnant of Ned Stark) with Tywin throwing a wolf's pet into the fire, and a quick pan to a statue of Joffrey holding a crossbow with a dead direwolf at his feet.

My literal reaction to those two scenes I described
My literal reaction to those two scenes I described

At the Wall

Jon Snow has recovered from his wounds and is questioned by the Night Watch's commanders over Qhorin Halfhand's death and the time he spent infiltrated among the Wildlings. While he almost gets beheaded for his troubles, he is dismissed when he tells that Mance intends to invade the wall from the North and the South, using the "biggest fire the North has ever seen" to signal the attack. I find the scene weird because, who the hell put Alliser Thorne in charge? Don't the Night Watch members vote for their leaders? Eh, I also noticed Janos Slynt is back too you know, the City Watch commander who carried out the massacre against Robert's bastards and was sent to the Wall by Tyrion as punishment? This guy is going to be pain in the ass believe me...

No Caption Provided

I am disappointed with this scene because I hoped to see more of Jon's reaction to the fact his entire family may be dead - more poignant by the fact that in the first season, Maester Aemon reveals how the exact same thing happened to him in the past. In here, he just reminisces how Robb was better than him in anything and should hate him, but never brought himself to. I hoped that he would fully realize his house is apparently extinct for all he know, just like the Targeryens were for Aemon.

Somewhere in the Gift

Man, these guys are going to be awesome...
Man, these guys are going to be awesome...

This was very short sequence so I will wrap it up quickly. The wildling group is encamped after Jon had deserted them. Just as Tormund is questioning Ygritte over if she managed to kill Jon or not, they are interrupted by the Thenns, creepy-looking, tattoed bald, cannibal wildlings that even other wildlings feel uneasy around them. This scene was and almost not worthy mentioning if it was not for these guys at least, because they look really promising as bad guys.

At Slaver's Bay

Daenerys and her army keep their march to Meereen, the last great city of Slaver Bay. Her dragons have grown a lot since the last season, they are now the size of horses and I wouldn't be surprised if one would be able to ride. That is, if they would allow such thing to happen, since the dragons have become so unruly that at one point, Drogon almost bite her face off.

Dragons cannot be tamed, but I prefer to think that just like dogs, dragons don't like being disturbed while they are eating.
Dragons cannot be tamed, but I prefer to think that just like dogs, dragons don't like being disturbed while they are eating.

Also I got to address the fact that Daario Naharis was recast with a new actor that just doesn't feel right to me... I want to say this guy doesn't have the swag as the old one had, but if I would I had to strangle myself. I really dislike when characters get recasted, specially when the actors don't look that similar to begin with, though I want to make some exceptions in Gregor Clegane's case (the new actor seems way more bigger and badder than Conan Stevens in Season 1).

I don't think Daenerys likes this new Daario very much either. At least not like the old one.
I don't think Daenerys likes this new Daario very much either. At least not like the old one.

Well, knowing how well the previous cities had fared against the Mother of Dragons, Meereen's masters decide that the wisest course of action would be to leave a grisly message behind, crucifying kids every milepost along the with their arms outstretched pointing the direction to their city. How much miles is long from Meeren? F*cking 163 miles. F*cking 163 crucified children in the way.

Did I mention this show is so hardcore and mature?!?! On all seriousness though, this is just cartoonish villainy right here, we've seen some really despicable characters in this series before like the Mountain, Walder Frey, Ramsay Snow, all of House Bolton and Joffrey f*cking Baratheon, but these slave masters are so over-the-top eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil I picture every single one of them having dastardly-whiplash mustaches, pointy forked beards while drinking their victims' tears from their cups. Which incidentally is how most of them look like and act are in the books anyway...

Somewhere In the Riverlands

The Hound and Arya are marching east toward the Vale, where he hopes to ransom the girl to her aunt Lysa. They stop on a inn where Lannister soldiers are. Arya recognizes one of them: Polliver, the man who captured her and Gendry, took them to Harrenhall, killed their friend Lommy and took her sword Needle. When she decides to barge inside the inn to take her sword back much to Sandor's frustration, he is recognized by Polliver. He offers to rejoin them and go back to the plundering, murdering and raping in name of the Lannisters. However, Sandor rebukes his offer.

No Caption Provided

I DON'T KNOW WHAT HOUSE CLEGANE'S WORDS ARE, BUT I HOPE IT IS "F*CK THE KING".

The thing goes down hill fast and soon with the Hound fighting all of them. Arya cleans up after him, attacking people as they try to get up off the ground. Clegane beats them all, and in the end Polliver lies wounded on the ground. Getting her hands on Needle, she stands over him, reciting the words he said when killed Lommy. Polliver doesn't know what she is talking about, only too late he realizes who the girl is when she shoves her sword in the throat, the exact way he killed her friend.

This was easily the best part of the episode and a contender for one of the best parts in the series. Not only the Hound's fight with the soldiers was both exciting and tense to see, this one dude going one-man army and winning, Arya shows her fair share of badassery by avenging her friend's death. This is also a big departure from the book, where she killed an entirely different character called the Tickler to reclaim Needle back, while asking him if "Is there any gold in the village?", the exact same thing he told his victims of torture. But since the Tickler died really early in the second season, they had to rework it with Polliver and I am totally cool with this.

Closing Thoughts

This was a really great premiere episode; A real step up from "Valar Dohaeris" in the previous season. There is what the premiere really needed, some memorable character moments instead of picking up the plot where the last season ended. I really loved this episode and I hope that the series keeps the same quality too.

Next episode will be "The Lion and the Rose" and lets pray that the moment we are all waiting happens ;) See ya next time, folks...

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad
deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Hooray. I'll read through it later on. I was waiting for you to do this!

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hooray. I'll read through it later on. I was waiting for you to do this!

No worries, mate. Take your time ;)

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I still hate Jaime

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

You seemed disappointed in this particular blog but I see why this episode had its redeeming qualities. Watched it myself earlier today and was very impressed. Nice analysis Caio!

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AweSam

More of a summary than a review. Also, your review is kind of bias. I get that you like the Stark's and hate the Lannister's, Frey's, and Bolton's, but you don't have to make it so obvious. Other than those, the review was pretty boring. You didn't really say anything we weren't already thinking. I get that it's your review, but there's always a proper way to do something and an improper way of doing it. Try focusing more on how the episode will affect the season and what lead up to the events. Also, discuss everything that's happening. You left out a lot with the Night's Watch, the wildlings, and Daenerys' dragons. Jon returned, but what happened upon his arrival? Now we know there are other groups of wildlings that made it passed the wall, but what's their next move? The dragons are getting more out of control as they grow. How is Daenerys supposed to deal with them once they're fully grown?

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:

More of a summary than a review. Also, your review is kind of bias. I get that you like the Stark's and hate the Lannister's, Frey's, and Bolton's, but you don't have to make it so obvious. Other than those, the review was pretty boring. You didn't really say anything we weren't already thinking. I get that it's your review, but there's always a proper way to do something and an improper way of doing it. Try focusing more on how the episode will affect the season and what lead up to the events. Also, discuss everything that's happening. You left out a lot with the Night's Watch, the wildlings, and Daenerys' dragons. Jon returned, but what happened upon his arrival? Now we know there are other groups of wildlings that made it passed the wall, but what's their next move? The dragons are getting more out of control as they grow. How is Daenerys supposed to deal with them once they're fully grown?

I admit, I did more of a summary of the plot and had to tack on my opinion very briefly and yes, I shamelessly biased against the Lannisters. But this was my first attempt and I attempt to improve it next time, thank you for you feedback anyway and I mean it ;)

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JakeN7

@dragonborn_ct: Nah, Sandor's house words should be "what the f***'s a Lommy?"

I laughed so hard at that.

Also, nice review!!! I'm very impressed with all the pictures you were able to get so soon, especially the Arya gif set.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read through it, and I liked it. It was a pretty professional summary/review of the first episode. I agree with Awesam though, it was pretty boring, but isn't almost every professional review a bit boring though?

Good job anyway. But we all know the Lannisters will prevail in the end :P

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still hate Jaime

I think he will get better over time.

@lvenger said:

You seemed disappointed in this particular blog but I see why this episode had its redeeming qualities. Watched it myself earlier today and was very impressed. Nice analysis Caio!

Tbh, I was for the most part, except for the beginning with Prince Oberyn and the end with the Hound and Arya. Those were the saving graces of the episode ;)

@jaken7 said:

@dragonborn_ct: Nah, Sandor's house words should be "what the f***'s a Lommy?"

I laughed so hard at that.

Also, nice review!!!

"Where is my chicken" is a good one too :P

And thanks!!

I read through it, and I liked it. It was a pretty professional summary/review of the first episode. I agree with Awesam though, it was pretty boring, but isn't almost every professional review a bit boring though?

Good job anyway. But we all know the Lannisters will prevail in the end :P

Its okay, mate. I will see if I will work my reviews better in the future. I am not afraid of negative feedback, in fact I welcome it in effort to improve my reviews to see if I can make them less boring. In fact, I would really make them more boring if I made a longer wall of text?

And thank you :P

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JakeN7

@dragonborn_ct: I don't know why, but every time he said the word "chicken(s)" I got giddy.

Did you make all those images yourself?

Oh, and what did you think of the new Daario? I made a thread about him being recast, and someone was able to tell me the original actor got a better gig (the next Transporter sequel).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dragonborn_ct: I really like your lay-out. You use a good variety of gifs and pictures. So that's fine. And it's not that boring, you use some funneh jokes.

You don't have to change anything per-sé, it looks professional and is still entertaining to read(imo). But what do I know of those things :P?

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:

I admit, I did more of a summary of the plot and had to tack on my opinion very briefly and yes, I shamelessly biased against the Lannisters. But this was my first attempt and I attempt to improve it next time, thank you for you feedback anyway and I mean it ;)

I usually criticize. Don't take it personally. I can find errors in everything, right @samimista?

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dragonborn_CT

@awesam said:

@dragonborn_ct said:

@awesam said:

I admit, I did more of a summary of the plot and had to tack on my opinion very briefly and yes, I am shamelessly biased against the Lannisters. But this was my first attempt and I attempt to improve it next time, thank you for you feedback anyway and I mean it ;)

I usually criticize. Don't take it personally. I can find errors in everything, right @samimista?

No problem at all mate. I know how that can be too. Nothing personal ;)

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@dragonborn_ct: Don't drastically change the format though. Just incorporate the critiques into this current review system. Then you'll be fulfilling both criteria.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JakeN7
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Nope, he's an ass that likes to sleep with his sister

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JakeN7

@jonny_anonymous: He's a lovable ass who physically expresses his love for the one person on the planet that's he's closest to.

Besides, he hasn't done that since the first season...

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I'm surprised you didn't mention he's a cousin killer and oath breaker though...

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Orr he's annoying douchebag that likes to pump his sister who is one of the worst human beings on the planet

That's only because she's having none of it...

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JakeN7

@jonny_anonymous: Compared to the rest of the citizens of Westeros, Jaime is a shining paragon of morality. I already explained why him f***ing his twin isn't as bad as it seems in that universe. Look at the Targaryens.

Or because they were only recently reunited after having been apart for an extremely lengthy period of time.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@jaken7: Well he complains about how he's been back for weeks and they haven't done the nasty and she chews him out.

Also him being an oath-braker and king killer ect doesn't bother me because some people just need killing.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: 1 week. But yeah, before that it was because they were apart.

Yup. That's kind of the whole point of his character. The cousin killing was still f***ed though.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@dragonborn_ct: Don't drastically change the format though. Just incorporate the critiques into this current review system. Then you'll be fulfilling both criteria.

Don't worry I won't change the format, I think its the best one I can work with. But I will try to follow AweSam's suggestions however though ;)

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've always loved Jaime. Sorry but had Bran just learned to listen to his mother, none of this would have happened.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@awesam: You have a talent when it comes to proofreading! Really do learn a lot from you. *bows down*

@dragonborn_ct: Hehe, I enjoyed that short scene with Oberyn and the blondie. XD Didn't like that statue either Joffrey had made. Curious how the dragons will be when they grow up! And the ending? Really was awesome. 0.0 Arya got her revenge. =D

Really great review, big bro! =D *hugs* Can't believe how quick you managed to post this up. Looking forward to your next. ^___^ What do you think of the new Daario by the way? =O

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dragonborn_CT

@samimista: Thank you so much, Sam :D I actually did rush when posting this review up I will follow other Sam's advice, I will probably take some time to polish these reviews from now on.

He looks alright I suppose, but I am put off how different he is from the previous one. Either way, both are improvement to how the character looks like in books.

The worst part? Is that despite looking like a clown, Daenerys seems to be attracted to him either way (and its acknowledged to be a mostly physical relationship than love :\) What the hell does she see in him on the books?!?

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@dragonborn_ct:

Your welcome, Caio! =D Ooh you did rush? XD I honestly wouldn't of guessed. You really did write a lot!

Do what makes you feel comfortable though. =D

Lol! He looks very animated. XD Does he really have blue hair? =O

Maybe she's Roy Orbison in the books! Dany cannot see. 0.0 Or maybe, she likes clowns!

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By Xanni15

Great review! You managed to cover everything. =D

While I didn't love it as much as you did, it was a great episode. There was maybe too much going on for my tastes, and that it felt rushed. LOVED Arya and Hound hanging out and killing people together, she's going to be so awesome.

I agree that Jon's reaction was way underwhelming, like you just found out that your best friend and entire family are dead (as far as he knows) and you just kind of mope and look out the window?! How about being like "fuuuuuuuu, I wanna kill some Lanniester's right now!" or just crying.

Didn't it seem odd that while everything on Westeros sseemed to progress a lot more than Dany and her crew, like what the hell were they doing the entire time! Get moving girl, you need to continue your war. And the recast, meh, the old guy looked kinda creepy. o.o

Poor Jaime. :'(

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xanni15: Thanks, mate. I think I will do a better job after following AweSam advice ;)

The Hound just keeps proving why he is one of my favorite characters.

Damn right you are. Daenerys had that problem in the second season when most of her storyline was stretched out with so little happening, I think the same thing will happen here too u__u

Exactly... Maybe he will start to realize that his family is a bunch of dicks. He changed so much ever since we first saw him.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice review. I agree that the best part of this episode was the scenes with Aryra and the Hound.

I still hate Jaime

I agree. I still find him a hard character to like. Despite him showing some redeeming qualities still don't really like him.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader: Thanks, bro ;)

Have you finished Season 2 and 3. Will you follow up Season 4 too?

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader: Thanks, bro ;)

Have you finished Season 2 and 3. Will you follow up Season 4 too?

Yeah I marathoned seasons 2 and 3 and am all caught up now. And damn was the season 3 finale bleak.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader: Glad to hear it :D Just beware from book spoilers, they tend to pop up from time to time.

And yeah, that was by far the most heart-wretching moment in the series by a long shot v___v

But worry not... The North Remembers. Winter is coming for all ;)

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader: Glad to hear it :D Just beware from book spoilers, they tend to pop up from time to time.

And yeah, that was by far the most heart-wretching moment in the series by a long shot v___v

But worry not... The North Remembers. Winter is coming for all ;)

:) Will do.

It was.

Heh heh :)

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#35 BumpyBoo  Moderator

NICE review man, looks like I got some catching up to do here hehe! Really did enjoy this episode, there have been a few moments so far this series that I have maybe not been so keen on (more on that when I find your review for it...) but overall, I think they've gotten off to a pretty strong start :)

Also kinda staggered by your knack for finding awesome GoT GIFs ^_^

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo said:

NICE review man, looks like I got some catching up to do here hehe! Really did enjoy this episode, there have been a few moments so far this series that I have maybe not been so keen on (more on that when I find your review for it...) but overall, I think they've gotten off to a pretty strong start :)

Also kinda staggered by your knack for finding awesome GoT GIFs ^_^

Thank you my friend :D I actually only started reviewing season fourth, but I get what you are saying with moments that you were not very fond of...

I think this season has being very strong so far and you should wait and see third episode review for the GIF barrage :P

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#37 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@dragonborn_ct: Ooh can't wait to check that one out then, that was one of my fave episodes so far! ^_^ Aw and you are welcome dude.

(Also WTF is with notifications? I saw your reply by total accident.....>_>)

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo: lol I know this sh*t is still bugging out but that is nothing new -__-