• 58 results
Posted by Dragonborn_CT (22624 posts) - - Show Bio

Welcome my friends and fellow Viners to another segment of...

Today we shall tackle another video game related controversy in larger detail which I covered up in my Assassin's Creed Unity preview blog and I promised I would do an separate one in time.

If you may recall my Assassin's Creed Unity preview blog, I addressed about the lack of female characters in Co-Op in which I criticized Ubisoft's reasoning in technical details. Likewise, another Ubisoft upcoming title Far Cry 4 caught some flak as well for the lack of female characters in multiplayer (although not compared to the alleged "racism" in that game). Both games were to feature playable females at some point but they were scrapped in the last minute in order to not exceed their own costs, which just screams "We don't want to do any work".

I won't dwell too much on Ubisoft 's bullsh&t I already did that in my other blog and I won't further beat that horse like everyone did, besides it certainly was not the first company to being accused of sexism when last year, Rockstar had three male POVs on Grand Theft Auto V and no female one (although you could be an female in Multiplayer at least that). And when you get down to it, it's more of product of laziness than actual misogyny, since the Co-Op characters are pretty much the same one, instead of their own independent entities (which bothers me to no end). At the same time, the side-effect is something that come across as sexism, as they didn't bother to explore different POVs, including that of women. There is an unspoken and disturbing tendency for several publishers to avoid having playable female characters under any cost. 2013's Remember Me was such game, whose developer Jean-Max Morris, lamented the fact he had fight with tooth and nail to have Nilin as the main protagonist with her own life and a relationship with an male character. As he recounts what people had told him:

“We had some [prospective publishers] that said, ‘Well, we don’t want to publish it because that’s not going to succeed. You can’t have a female character in games. It has to be a male character, simple as that.’ …We wanted to be able to tease on Nilin’s private life, and that means for instance, at one point, we wanted a scene where she was kissing a guy,” Morris said. “We had people tell us, ‘You can’t make a dude like the player kiss another dude in the game, that’s going to feel awkward.’ I’m like, ‘If you think like that, there’s no way the medium’s going to mature.’ There’s a level of immersion that you need to be at, but it’s not like your sexual orientation is being questioned by playing a game. I don’t know, that’s extremely weird to me.”

Sadly, despite Morris' best efforts, the game didn't sold very well and was slammed by the Metacritic reviewers. Regardless of the games' success or not, these people' sexist and homophobic remarks shows how much this industry is still backwards. Executives seem to think that nobody really wants to see females outside of supporting roles, because their target audiences "can't see themselves" in character that is not like them. Which is always there has being a prevalence of monochromatic gun-bros, white generic American males with one-dimensional personalities so that their players can easily put themselves as them.

Don't worry, we will make sure things don't get too diverse.
If it was not for Nintendo, then Bayonetta 2 would have not existed.

There is absolutely no denying that there are great and memorable video game heroines such as Lara Croft, Samus Aran, Jill Valentine, Bayonetta, Amateratsu and so forth. Unfortunately, its also an sad truth that games with leading ladies don't make much profit for whatever reason, even ones that already become popular. Look no further than the already mentioned Bayonetta, an much loved beat 'em up/hack 'n slash game that had its own following, and if it had only managed to live up to its financial expectations, theny maybe today, its sequel wouldn't have to become an WiiU exclusive and be available for everybody. Believe it or not, the 2013's Tomb Raider reboot was this close to being an financial bomb, despite being a success among critics and fans, Square Enix reported that the game still failed to met their expectations (though, non e was the story or Lara Croft's fault, but rather the bloated budget into making a new engine and unnecessary features such as multiplayer). Thankfully, the reboot's popularity manage to secure an future with an upcoming sequel in the makings.

What Lara probably thinks of Enix execs spending too much money...
Nope, we don't even want hot babes either. GIRLS HAVE COOTIES!!!

Even so if the most popular female icons are having trouble keeping up, then I weep for the newcomers. You'd think that in this male-dominated industry which the most prevalent belief that sex sells, they would cash in on the third-person seductresses, you know the impossibly curvy and busty heroines, implausibly and impractically dressed, trying to cash in the sex appeal as much as possible (as an old saying goes "If I might stare to an ass all day, it might be an sexy one"). Yet not even those seem to work either. I mean, does anyone remember BloodRayne, Red Ninja: End of Honor, X-Blades/Blades of Time, Bullet Witch being that much of a success? It seems like doesn't matter if they are realistic, objectified and idealized, the AAA industry simply doesn't care about females. PERIOD.

Although Lightning had wasted potential, FF XIII had a F*CKTON more problems than this...

One possible reasoning behind this mentality is that majority of these games in recent years that happened to have playable females, such as Metroid: Other M, Amy and Final Fantasy XIII, were panned by both critics and audience. Somehow, companies perceived this as "players don't like playing with girls" rather than the actual games' questionable quality. Those games didn't suck because there were female protagonists in it, they sucked because they really f*cking sucked. Though the prevalence of males has always being a thing, even with the recent rising of female gamers and despite their claims to appeal to an wider audience, we all know they just want the same audience they always had, only in bigger number. Why you think that focus groups of 12-year old boys are still used to this day? Who the f*ck cares for what guys like Morris had to say about we maturing as an form of art? (The last bit was sarcasm...)

It's an very serious issue and one too complex to come up with an answer how to solve it. This is certainly not an exclusive problem to video games, as superhero movie aren't so different and has a long story of failures and mess ups to their history. I find really amusing that while several companies had being struggling or outright neglected having heroines in their games, over the course of two years Nintendo, which every armchair analyst has being saying to be with one feet in the grave, managed to have playable women in every single one of the games they released. Not to mention the upcoming release of Bayonetta 2 and Hyrule Warriors, the former bringing back the eponymous popular lady from the previous generation and the latter having a huge female cast - Sure, Link is still the hero like he always is but, hell, look at how many girls, ladies and babes the roster has (Zelda, Impa and Midna being among the playable characters just to name a few) they even managed to have an female villain in the story (something unusual for Legend of Zelda games). And they all managed to do that with much less money and resources than Ubisoft. Ooh I guess somebody' ass got schooled.

Instead of a damsel in distress, Zelda leads the fray this time.

Thank you guys for reading it. I hope you enjoyed this blog and I'd like to hear how you feel about this effect in gaming. Did you notice that before or is it the first time you hear about it. I'd like to share your own opinions in the comment section. See ya next time =P

For those interested into the further subject, I recommend watching Jim Sterling's opinion, from the Escapist fame, on it.

#1 Posted by LyraFay (2527 posts) - - Show Bio

Excellent blog! :)

#2 Edited by JakeN7 (12645 posts) - - Show Bio

Remember Me? I had forgotten all about that game...

#tooeasy

#3 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (22624 posts) - - Show Bio

@lyrafay said:

Excellent blog! :)

Thank you my friend ^_~

#4 Edited by iaconpoint (1363 posts) - - Show Bio

Um, my two characters in Skyrim and two of my three in Fallout are female? I dunno...

#5 Edited by Dragonborn_CT (22624 posts) - - Show Bio

@iaconpoint said:

Um, my two characters in Skyrim and two of my three in Fallout are female? I dunno...

Oh yeah I forgot to bring that up in my blog, customizable characters from games such as Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Skyrim and Fallout are seemingly exempt from this stigma because they aren't really characters on their own right, they are extensions of the players and they can decide whatever they want their protagonist to be. I'd like to use female characters as much as male ones as well.

#6 Edited by JakeN7 (12645 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct: The problem isn't necessarily that publishers and studios think games with female protagonists won't sell well. It's the fact that (for whatever reason) most games with female protagonists are terrible. The lack of quality in these games is what drives consumers away, not the fact that they star a g-g-g-g-giiiirrrrrlllllll! Take all the games you listed for example:

• BloodRayne
  • Red Ninja: End of Honor
  • X-Blades/Blades of Time
  • Bullet Witch
  • Metroid: Other M
  • Amy
  • Final Fantasy XIII
  • Remember Me
  • Bayonetta
  • Tomb Raider

The only 2 games from that whole list that are objectively good are Bayonetta and Tomb Raider, and the latter sold extremely well. So, a more pervasive issue might be that publishers and studios aren't investing enough in games with female protagonists. Personally, I think the industry is better than it ever has been at representation (minus Ubisoft's BS). I also feel it isn't quite fair to be looking at only the games with a sole female lead. Games like The Last of Us, Uncharted, Halo, Batman: Arkham City, Mass Effect, Infamous: Second Son (just to name a few off the top of my head) all have female main characters. The fact that they also happen to have male main characters shouldn't discredit them. Same goes for RPGs and other games that allow the player to choose their gender. Speaking of which, it isn't like there isn't a precedent for players to prefer male characters over female characters...

82% chose a male Shepard, 18% chose a female Shepard

Even with the fact that Jen Hale's voice acting is superior to Mark Meer's, and the fact that the Femshep movement had exploded in popularity prior to ME3's release, so much so that Bioware released trailers featuring Femshep, and added her on the reversible box-art, players still chose a male over 80% of the time.

Publishers and game studios are not innocent in this issue, sure. But we as a community need to shoulder some of the blame. It isn't right for us to act all high and mighty about female MCs, while over 80% of us are picking a male over a female every time. We've all looked critically at these companies enough. I think it's time we start looking at ourselves a bit, and asking ourselves if there is a precedent we're setting with our behavior. At the end of the day, can you honestly blame a company for seeing a stat like the one above, and deciding to go with a male protagonist?

BTW: If anyone is looking for a GREAT recently released game starring a female, I'd HIGHLY recommend Transistor.

Bitches ain't got nothin' on Red.

#7 Posted by JakeN7 (12645 posts) - - Show Bio

@iaconpoint said:

Oh yeah I forgot to bring that up in my blog, customizable characters from games such as Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Skyrim and Fallout are seemingly exempt from this stigma because they aren't really characters on their own right, they are extensions of the players and they can decide whatever they want their protagonist to be. I'd like to use female characters as much as male ones as well.

See, that's my huge problem with this argument. That's such BS. A female is a female, and a male is a male. Don't discredit games because they don't have a sole female protagonist. All in all, nearly every video game MC is an extension of the player. That's why (as you pointed out with that image of multiple male protagonists) so many MCs are somewhat bland and lacking any real out of the ordinary facial features. They're perfect templates for the player to project themselves onto. Customizable characters completely solve that problem, but "oh, they don't actually count." What kind of logic is that? -_-

#8 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (22624 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7: Precisely why I said above:

"Somehow, companies perceived this as "players don't like playing with girls" rather than the actual games' questionable quality. Those games didn't suck because there were female protagonists in it, they sucked because they really f*cking sucked"

And just like Jim said in his video that I posted, the some of the audience (at least the one companies seem to be targeting) also shares the blame to the publishers, considering them really that spineless and pathetic they really can't seem to handle fill an girls shoes.

#9 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (22624 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7 said:

@dragonborn_ct said:

@iaconpoint said:

See, that's my huge problem with this argument. That's such BS. A female is a female, and a male is a male. Don't discredit games because they don't have a sole female protagonist. All in all, nearly everyvideo game MC is an extension of the player. That's why (as you pointed out with that image of multiple male protagonists) so many MCs are somewhat bland and lacking any real out of the ordinary facial features. They're perfect templates for the player to project themselves onto. Customizable characters completely solve that problem, but "oh, they don't actually count." What kind of logic is that? -_-

Well argue with this argument then at 2:16

#10 Edited by Immortal777 (7625 posts) - - Show Bio

If people(mostly women) want more females in games, people(mostly women) need to take their a$$e$ to game design school and make it happen.

#11 Edited by JakeN7 (12645 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct: Yeah, but I don't agree with that. Or at least the first part. I don't feel that companies are stupid enough to attribute a lack of sales for a terrible game starring a female protagonist as evidence to the idea that games starring female protagonists don't sell.

These companies know exactly what their demographic is, and there is a clear precedent for a player's preference for males over females.

Haven't watched the video yet, but I'm glad he mentioned that a game's target audience (us, the players) are to blame as well.

#12 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33629 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct: Well FemShep isn't a customizable, she's her own character and one that is far better acted than ManShep.

But yeah, games are massively behind the times when it comes to protagonists even compared to comics.

#13 Posted by JakeN7 (12645 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: I was about to say that that's more than a bit of a stretch (the part about comics being better about representation than video games), but then I remembered I'm not allowed to reply to you anymore. Oops.

#14 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (22624 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: No one can really argue with a straight face Mark Meer is better than Jennifer Hale.

@jaken7: Please, man don't start it again...

#15 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (22624 posts) - - Show Bio

If people(mostly women) want more females in games, people(mostly women) need to take their a$$e$ to game design school and make it happen.

That is the easy part, man. The real challenge is trying to change the monkey-suits' mind who are running the business :v

#16 Posted by JakeN7 (12645 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct: *sigh*

And of course I get to be the bad guy who "bashes other people's opinions" yet again.

-_-

#17 Posted by SC (13148 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7: I don't think anyone is saying or implying you are a bad guy, just don't antagonize other users. As in don't antagonize other users. Can PM me about it if you want but refrain from replying to jonny_anonymous. Thanks.

#18 Posted by Immortal777 (7625 posts) - - Show Bio

@immortal777 said:

That is the easy part, man. The real challenge is trying to change the monkey-suits' mind who are running the business :v

Maybe they need to start giving heart felt speeches to the men in suits to melt their money cold hearts, it works in the movies lol.

#19 Edited by SC (13148 posts) - - Show Bio

Great rant Caio, this is a subject I'd usually like to write a big post about with my own views but I am lazy and sleepy and I don't really need to either, you cover a lot of ground.

#20 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (22624 posts) - - Show Bio

@immortal777: Hehehe :P I'd eat my hat if they managed to convince Activision or EA :v

@sc said:

Great rant Caio, this is a subject I'd usually like to write a big post about with my own views but I am lazy and sleepy and I don't really need to either, you cover a lot of ground.

Thanks man ^__^ I actually felt like I rushed some of the content, I would have added a lot more, but I had to cut it, since was afraid of repeating myself many times :P

#21 Posted by Mr_Clockwork91 (1550 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish we had more female protagonists, if I'm going to be investing 6+ hours in a third person game, I'd much rather stare at the back side of a female than a male. Just sayin.

#22 Posted by TheCannon (18910 posts) - - Show Bio

Great blog!

#23 Posted by Knightsofdarkness2 (2643 posts) - - Show Bio

Excellent blog! Even though the whole AC unity controversy seems kinda weird considering that they said the story was about Arno so they had to cut the choice to play female characters since it was a story based game BUT Ubisoft didn't say that at the start and started making excuses etc which makes it really suspicious considering they said it was a story based game, but if it truly WAS a story based game then why did they even add the choice of choosing your gender then scrapping it in the last second? Ubisoft really isn't handling the situation well IMO.

#24 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (22624 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish we had more female protagonists, if I'm going to be investing 6+ hours in a third person game, I'd much rather stare at the back side of a female than a male. Just sayin.

That is the reason why majority of players that pick female characters in games with gender customization (myself included too :P)

#25 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (22624 posts) - - Show Bio

Great blog!

Thanks, bro ;)

Excellent blog! Even though the whole AC unity controversy seems kinda weird considering that they said the story was about Arno so they had to cut the choice to play female characters since it was a story based game BUT Ubisoft didn't say that at the start and started making excuses etc which makes it really suspicious considering they said it was a story based game, but if it truly WAS a story based game then why did they even add the choice of choosing your gender then scrapping it in the last second? Ubisoft really isn't handling the situation well IMO.

Thanks, man :D

Definitely agreed. Really even leaving with all the reasoning that they want to focus on Arno rubs me the wrong way. Instead of try and make Co-Op more diverse with characters having their own personalities (and the chance of females being featured), we all going to play with the same guy which makes me feel like the primary boast of the game is tacked on.

#26 Edited by Wolfrazer (6902 posts) - - Show Bio

I know this is kinda a minuscule point about your blog(although very nicely done, I like!) but I never really saw Zelda as a damsel in distress. Or well...at least compared to someone like Peach, I mean yeah has she gotten captured a few times? Sure, but she also has kicked a lot of *** and helped out Link a lot, I always see her as more a supporting character rather then a damsel.

#27 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (14831 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice blog Caio , you should really post this stuff at giantbomb too of you want.

#28 Posted by scorpion2501 (5973 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, really amazing. Good job, Caio

#29 Edited by force_echo (863 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like this is the 37th time I've read something exactly like this. Yes, sexism is prevalent and it's in media. We get it. There are thousands of articles about it. Unless you add something new to the conversation, there isn't much to discuss.

#30 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (22624 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice blog Caio , you should really post this stuff at giantbomb too of you want.

Thanks, bro. I am afraid it would have been just one in the many that are over there.

Wow, really amazing. Good job, Caio

Thanks, man ;) I appreciate it

I know this is kinda a minuscule point about your blog(although very nicely done, I like!) but I never really saw Zelda as a damsel in distress. Or well...at least compared to someone like Peach, I mean yeah has she gotten captured a few times? Sure, but she also has kicked a lot of *** and helped out Link a lot, I always see her as more a supporting character rather then a damsel.

I know what you are saying... I was not really bringing Zelda down Princess Peach's level or saying she is captured all that time. Hell, she is one princess that had the honor of being an pirate and an ninja :P Its true she is an deuteragonist, but I believe that is the first time she is playable in her own series (if you exclude those gawdawful CD-I)... If its not the first time, then its the first time in a long while.

But thank you anyways ;)

#31 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (14831 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct: Yeah that is true there are a lot of these type of blogs going around in giantbomb.

#32 Posted by silkyballfro94 (1773 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally love playing a guy in video games because I'm a guy. I can put myself in his place and feel like the character. I can connect better basically.

From a business standpoint, having a male lead or more male characters seems logical. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it probably leads to more profits. Why? Because the majority of gamers are men. Supply and Demand.

I think a good solution for this would be to have a female version of the male character. This would leave it up to the player just like in Mass Effect and Skyrim. Problem solved and everyone happy?

#33 Posted by Samimista (20750 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct:

Aw yeah! 8D I love when The Happy One loses it. =D

Never played Remember Me but I remember you told me the struggles Jean-Max Morris had about making Nilin a female. Kinda sad how he had to fight for it. =/

Am hoping to play the game since she looks rather awesome. <3

And honestly? Loving Nintendo with the ladies. Especially Hyrule Warriors. Just hope maybe Sheik can be in it since it seems Zelda can't trasform as her/him?

Been tempted to buy a Wii-U for Bayonetta 2 and Hyrule Warriors.

As for Enix? I may not be pleased with Final Fantasy lately *cough* Final Fantasy XIII Saga *cough* but one thing I will say, they did a great job handling Tomb Raider. Actually, I think it's quite ironic how they seem to handle Hitman, Tomb Raider and Sleeping Dogs better than FF in recent years.

Never cared for Lara one bit until Tomb Raider reboot. Especially since she became regularly proportioned and the reboot actually made you want to protect Lara.

It's like I practically fell in love with the character really due to the writing and portrayal.

Not gonna voice my opinion on Lightning since we've both discussed her many times (even yesterday for a bit) but I will say, another one of my favorites is Aya Brea. <3 Really hope we get a proper Parasite Eve for current gen consoles. Third Birthday was a slap in the face imo.

Great review and really proud of you for keeping up with these since I know you've been somewhat busy lately!

#34 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (22624 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista: Hehehe thank you Sam xD Yeah we pretty much discussed all these aspects in the game already so I don't have much to add and while I have being busy really, but I have planned somethings ahead that is for sure ;)

#35 Posted by BumpyBoo (9582 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a cool thread, and I like a lot of the points you make but honestly, I am freaking sick of people expecting that every single demographic be represented in every single goddamn thing. I grew up playing video games and there were always, ALWAYS awesome female characters, whether it be the FF girls, Ayame in Tenchu, Lara Croft, the Great Giana Sisters, Pandemonium, there were always girls in MK, Tekken, Soul Calibur, etc, like could go on and on and on about how many girls - whether well developed or to pander somewhat, for fan service - were in the games I loved but I think to do so is to miss a crucial point here.

I LOVED THE GAMES O_O So what if I play as a guy? So what if there are not as many girls? And what? XD I honestly get tired of people pushing their agenda on my hobby. Want more women? Make a game! Write a story! Contribute! Instead of complaining and trying to tear down the things other people enjoy, put your money where your mouth is and be the change you wish to see, right? I don't care that Mario or Duke Nukem or the Dead Rising protagonists were men. I like gameplay, and immersion, options, well thought out stories and/or kickass playability.

I'm not saying games could not use some form of diversity but for its own sake, to pander to people, at the expense of the creator's honest vision? I think not, man :)

Moderator Online
#36 Posted by Joygirl (20042 posts) - - Show Bio

*starts slow cla--*

Actually screw it

*starts fast clap*

#37 Posted by Ostyo (8251 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct: Yeah, I totally can't play games with female leads. That's why I loved playing as Reboot Lara Croft and Femshep!

#38 Edited by Dragonborn_CT (22624 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo: I see what you mean, mate. There is nothing wrong with liking to play and even there are some misleaded attempts at forced diversity I don't even need to name them. Just pointing out that trying to create an new game with a female protagonist has being kinda hard thing to do lately (and more importantly done right)

@joygirl said:

*starts slow cla--*

Actually screw it

*starts fast clap*

*high-five*

@ostyo said:

@dragonborn_ct: Yeah, I totally can't play games with female leads. That's why I loved playing as Reboot Lara Croft and Femshep!

Hmmmm.... Interesting point you have there...

#39 Edited by RD189 (1372 posts) - - Show Bio

Excellent blog. I think we're finally starting to see some change, despite the misteps. I'm looking forward to seeing what the new Mass Effects and Fallouts have to offer, as these two seem to be the main innovators.

#40 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (22624 posts) - - Show Bio

@rd189 said:

Excellent blog. I think we're finally starting to see some change, despite the misteps. I'm looking forward to seeing what the new Mass Effects and Fallouts have to offer, as these two seem to be the main innovators.

Thanks, man... Looks like these games you mentioned (among others like Dragon Age and Saints Row) are the most inclusive that we will ever get.

#41 Posted by BumpyBoo (9582 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct: Oh sure, like I said I agree with a lot of it, I love your rants :D

Moderator Online
#42 Posted by Bruxae (13984 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl said:

*starts slow cla--*

Actually screw it

*starts fast clap*

*joins in*

#43 Edited by force_echo (863 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct: Also, there's thing you say in the article, "It's a very serious issue". Is it though? Is it really? I mean, how many of the hundreds and hundreds of people who write blog posts literally exactly just like this one are so unbothered by the effect that they still buy the same games regardless. If an issue isn't even important enough to change the discretionary spending habit of the activists who support the issue, then it's not very important. I think of myself as a casual feminist, someone who's interested in the culture and social aspects of it from a socio-academic perspective, but I'm not kidding myself. I don't volunteer at the women's home, I don't stake out on a school's quad asking for justice in underreported rape cases or join a riot in India over ridiculous double standards in rape laws. I visit an art exhibit on occasion, listen to some excruciatingly bad fem-punk, browse articles and blogs about how video games and movies aren't fair in their portrayal of women, and muse about what these portrayals reveal about American culture and values in my free time, occasionaly taking enough care to write my thoughts. I have bought almost every game on that white male chart. Yes, I still complain about the limited storytelling experiences those characters provide. Yes, I like links on Facebook that say the same thing. But I don't have any illusions that what I do is contributing to a "serious" issue (especially when there are 90 trillion people who think the same way and have done the same things), or that it is indeed "serious" or even all that complex. Cultural preconceptions, for the most part, are only symptoms to the illness anyway.

Day 1 DLC though, that's some important sh*t.

#44 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (22624 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct: Also, there's thing you say in the article, "It's a very serious issue". Is it though? Is it really? I mean, how many of the hundreds and hundreds of people who write blog posts literally exactly just like this one are so unbothered by the effect that they still buy the same games regardless. If an issue isn't even important enough to change the discretionary spending habit of the activists who support the issue, then it's not very important. I think of myself as a casual feminist, someone who's interested in the culture and social aspects of it from a socio-academic perspective, but I'm not kidding myself. I don't volunteer at the women's home, I don't stake out on a school's quad asking for justice in underreported rape cases or join a riot in India over ridiculous double standards in rape laws. I visit an art exhibit on occasion, listen to some excruciatingly bad fem-punk, browse articles and blogs about how video games and movies aren't fair in their portrayal of women, and muse about what these portrayals reveal about American culture and values in my free time, occasionaly taking enough care to write my thoughts. I have bought almost every game on that white male chart. Yes, I still complain about the limited storytelling experiences those characters provide. Yes, I like links on Facebook that say the same thing. But I don't have any illusions that what I do is contributing to a "serious" issue (especially when there are 90 trillion people who think the same way and have done the same things), or that it is indeed "serious" or even all that complex. Cultural preconceptions, for the most part, are only symptoms to the illness anyway.

Day 1 DLC though, that's some important sh*t.

For someone who is indifferent to the topic in general or just don't think the issue is serious enough, you seem quite in invested ranting yourself against it.

#45 Posted by Ostyo (8251 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct: Of course. So pretty much you made this blog to get the praise of the female Viners. :P

#46 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (22624 posts) - - Show Bio

@ostyo: ... Or is it?!?

Nah, not really :P I wanted to write something like that and I got the opportunity with the Unity mess up.

#47 Posted by Ostyo (8251 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct: Liar. You love seeing strong female characters reduced to the likes of...Other M? *shudders*

#48 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (22624 posts) - - Show Bio
@ostyo said:

@dragonborn_ct: Liar. You love seeing strong female characters reduced to the likes of...Other M? *shudders*

Absolutely Disgusting

Don't even bring that up, son >_>

#49 Posted by Ostyo (8251 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct: Oh gawd, enough! NO MORE! I can't handle seeing anymore of that..

#50 Edited by ShadowX (1218 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct: Great article. Although I would say their laziness is something that is tied to misogny in that they see they could ge awa frlm there work by seeing female characters as "something extra" that they don't actually need to work on rather than something incorporated intk the design of the game as a whole as a nesscity.

I would also say there is one main flaw eitj customizable avatars. Despite it allowing a wide variety of options often time the "canon" one or the one used extensively in marketing are the white male ones thus perletuating that in Facy white male is still the default.