Burning the Qur'an and building the Islamic Center...

• 126 results
Wario88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wario88

Why are people complaining about the guy that wants to burn the Qur'an to mark the anniversary of the September 11th terrorist attacks? He has the freedom to do so, doesn't he?  

Isn't that the reason some people support the Islamic center going up so close to Ground Zero?

Well... just because he has the freedom to burn the Qur'an, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. Especially when it can put our troops and other citizens overseas at risk. Same goes to building the Islamic center so close to Ground Zero. Yes, they have the freedom to build it there but I don't think it is the right thing to do.

What say you, OT?

Do you oppose the burning of the Qur'an and oppose the construction of the Islamic center because even though they have the freedom to do what they want, you know they aren't doing the right thing?

Do you support the burning of the Qur'an and support the construction of the Islamic center because they have the freedom to do what they want whether it is right or wrong?

Do you oppose the burning of the Qur'an but support the construction of the Islamic center because you don't want people disrespecting a religion?

Do you support the burning of the Qur'an but oppose the construction of the Islamic center because you just can't stand anything to do with Islam?        

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@Wario88:
Just because you're allowed to do something, doesn't make it right.   I oppose the preacher's actions because he has no valid reason to do so.  He's attacking an entire religion based on the actions of a few, and then has the nerve to say "Anyone can follow whatever religion they'd like."  Does this man have any piece of logic left in his brain?  I support the Mosque two blocks away from ground zero because: 
A) They have the right to do so. 
B) There is no clear negative intention behind the construction.  They claim the goal is to help with islamic awareness and make it a friendly community center.  It is not being constructed to insult/attack a religion (like the burning of the books). 
Fire-brand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Fire-brand

i support the building of the islamic center, because it has absolutely nothing to do with the 9/11 attacks. it's very foolish to look at the actions a single extremist sect and blame a billion muslims for it. Just like it is silly to look at a the westboro babtist church, and hate on the 600,000,000 protestants for it. it's ludicrous.

That guy can burn a mountain of Qur'an's for all i care. he is free to express his intolerance in any way that he chooses, as long as nobody gets hurt.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@Fire-brand:
Well, that's the thing.  His actions are far more aggressive than the building of an Islamic center.  Technically, he could be charged with attempting to incite a riot LOL
Fire-brand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fire-brand
@k4tzm4n:  true, but despite the innate aggresion of his actions he is still protected by the first amendment. It isn't until he directly incites a violent act that he loses that protection. While there is no hostility in the building of the center, I can see why people don't want to open that can of worms.
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@Fire-brand:
I'm aware. I'm not saying he can't, only that he shouldn't.
Fire-brand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Fire-brand
@k4tzm4n: oh, well yeah. he definately shouldn't.
_Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By _Sojourn_

I wonder what would happen if a Mosque decided to burn a bunch of bibles, what people would have to say. 

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Kal'smahboi

I live in Gainesville, Fl (the city in which the burning is happening.)  I just want to say that he doesn't actually have the right to burn the books because of fire code. 

Personally, I'm totally indifferent to the construction of a Mosque near ground zero.  I'm against being against it more than anything.  Opponents' claims range from simple poor tact to suspicions of a terrorist training facility where parties will be held in the names of the September 11 highjackers.  It's totally insane.  The erection of the community center affects no one in the area except for those Muslims who choose to visit it.  It also baffles me how people can choose to ignore the fact that innocent American Muslims were murdered in the 9/11 attacks.

What Pastor Terry Jones is doing here in Gainesville, however, is an action full of ignorant hate and misunderstanding.  It's an attack on the beliefs of a group of people simply because he doesn't understand them.  Ironically, Islamic beliefs are very similar to those of Christianity and there are entire chapters in the Qur'an about the miracles of Jesus, prophet of Allah (which is just the Arabic word for God.)  Last year he lead an anti-Pride Parade in protest of homosexuality and regularly preaches that people under that orientation are going to Hell regardless of what kind of person they are.

The man is a hate monger with every right to do such things.  But I am also perfectly in my rights to show the world that Pastor Jones doesn't represent my beliefs or the beliefs of the people of Gainesville.  After all, Al Jazeera will be attending the event and broadcasting to the entire Middle East.

OmegaDynasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By OmegaDynasty
@Slight said:
"I wonder what would happen if a Mosque decided to burn a bunch of bibles, what people would have to say.  "

Probably nothing, apparently it's okay to burn bibles and say horrible things about Christians. It's the hip thing to do in today's society.  
Seems Christians just have to bend over and take it these days, like with the atheist with God in the pledge of alligance, and or Christmas now it's  happy holidays. lol
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Kal'smahboi: 

It also baffles me how people can choose to ignore the fact that innocent American Muslims were murdered in the 9/11 attacks.

That would go against the belief that "OMFG ALL MUSLIMS ARE EVIL!" lol

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@OmegaDynasty:
So that's why Christian religious beliefs are the main force behind gays not being allowed to marry, the abortion debate, and protesting signs for other religions (this happened when an athiest group placed billboards for their org)? ;)
FLCL1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FLCL1

i can say the N word but does that make it right?
Avatar image for emerald_lamp_2814
emerald_lamp_2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

here is what I think the pastor has the right but he should not because he is just trying to spread hate and fear while the Mosque should get built because they are not trying to harm anyone they just want to be able to reach out to the members of their religion the reason people don't want it to get built is because they are ignorant and intolerant. These people sould not get punished just because of some extreamist

Avatar image for deactivated-asdf987sdf
deactivated-asdf987sdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stay classy, America.
Avatar image for metatron_da_don
Metatron_Da_Don

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Metatron_Da_Don

Because racial/religious intolerance is evil and already Terrorists are using this as propaganda.
1)hey look America is full of amoral people who glorify the 7 deadly sins and burn our holy book
2) join us in our jihad against the Western forces occupying our lands, trying to bring their culture here and influence 
3) people are poor over there and are probably willing to join for

If 50 Muslim Extremists held a Bible burning, imagine how that would go over in the States. 
Now flip that into a hostile environment where guerilla forces are recruiting ppl on the basis that America is full of people who do intolerant stuff like this every day 

They're basically promoting the Terrorist agenda by doing this, whether they have the right to do so is a matter of US law. But already people are burning the guy in effigy.
The recruiting pitch probably has never been better for the Extremists.

HobGadling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HobGadling

I believe in protecting my rights as an American citizen, including freedom of religion.  While that's a big reason why I support the building of the cultural center in Manhattan, the main reason is the lack of a good reason against it.  There really is none.  If you have one, it's either based in misinformation or it's based in abstract notions of sentimentality and/or disrespect... indefinable things that have no place near government decisions. 

As for the burning of the Quran, sure, it's his right to do so... but I promise you if you asked this pastor about the mosque, he'd start spewing some bs about respecting the 9/11 dead and America, which would make him a hypocrite since burning the Quran would be basically be the equivilent of taking a dump in the face every Muslim-American who's ever lived, including those who have fought for this country or died serving this country, whether in the military or in service on 9/11 as a police officer, firefighter or good samaritan.

As far as Christians go, since most of them aren't protecting their freedom of religion (which is the freedom of religion of all Americans, even the Muslims), they only have themselves to blame.

iloverobots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iloverobots

I didn't read the entire thread and I won't but I'd just like to point out  @Wario88 said:

"

Why are people complaining about the guy that wants to burn the Qur'an to mark the anniversary of the September 11th terrorist attacks? He has the freedom to do so, doesn't he?  

No. He does not have the "freedom" to do so. Freedom of speech does NOT allow hate. You can't start burning things because you don't agree with them, or beating people that don't follow your narcissist lifestyle up then claim your rights to freedom of speech. If you do so you're no better than if the people responsible for 9/11 in the first place said: "Well, we have the right to freedom so we decided to fly those planes in those buildings". 
OmegaDynasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By OmegaDynasty
@k4tzm4n said:
"@OmegaDynasty: So that's why Christian religious beliefs are the main force behind gays not being allowed to marry, the abortion debate, and protesting signs for other religions (this happened when an athiest group placed billboards for their org)? ;) "

Yeah, it's a vicious circle and every one is playing it apparently. Guess pay backs a b*tch. lol
geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By geraldthesloth

Stop posting religion threads, it's obvious attention whoring.

Avatar image for fortified_hooligan
Fortified_Hooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

and lets not forget that the mosque is only a small part of the giant ass community center. There is going to be a lot going on there that is directly mosque related.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-august-19-2010/extremist-makeover---homeland-edition

that's a link of Jon Stewart addressing this issue.

well said Jon.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By King_Saturn
uh... because the guy shouldnt be burning a Quran... does he have a good reason for doing this anyways ??? 
Avatar image for deactivated-asdf987sdf
deactivated-asdf987sdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@King Saturn: nah, just hate
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By King_Saturn
@ViciousCesar! said:
" @King Saturn: nah, just hate "
thats what I thought... anywho, its almost NFL time  !!!!!
Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By Jotham

Hey, freedom is freedom. In this country, we can build mosques and burn Qurans, and no one can stop us.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

He's called it off and claims the Mosque will be moved further away from Ground Zero.
Retnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Retnex

"Comparing all Muslims to terrorist is like comparing all Americans to the people on Jersey Shore."

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jotham
@iloverobots said:
" I didn't read the entire thread and I won't but I'd just like to point out  @Wario88 said:
"

No. He does not have the "freedom" to do so. Freedom of speech does NOT allow hate. You can't start burning things because you don't agree with them, or beating people that don't follow your narcissist lifestyle up then claim your rights to freedom of speech. If you do so you're no better than if the people responsible for 9/11 in the first place said: "Well, we have the right to freedom so we decided to fly those planes in those buildings".  "
I missed this the first time through. Hate is an emotion and/or thought. You're right, it's not covered under constitutionally protected freedom of speech, it's covered by a much more basic right. Even if something isn't very nice, like hate, you still have the right to think it. And no, you can't beat people, but no one is saying you can. You can burn things, though. People burn flags all the time.
iloverobots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By iloverobots
@Jotham said:
" @iloverobots said:
" I didn't read the entire thread and I won't but I'd just like to point out  @Wario88 said:
"

No. He does not have the "freedom" to do so. Freedom of speech does NOT allow hate. You can't start burning things because you don't agree with them, or beating people that don't follow your narcissist lifestyle up then claim your rights to freedom of speech. If you do so you're no better than if the people responsible for 9/11 in the first place said: "Well, we have the right to freedom so we decided to fly those planes in those buildings".  "
I missed this the first time through. Hate is an emotion and/or thought. You're right, it's not covered under constitutionally protected freedom of speech, it's covered by a much more basic right. Even if something isn't very nice, like hate, you still have the right to think it. And no, you can't beat people, but no one is saying you can. You can burn things, though. People burn flags all the time. "
There's a different between thinking, or having an opinion, and acting on it. The problem is that people can get away with anything if they claim it's freedom of religion. Burning things is not okay, it's a completely ridiculous form of protest. When I first read the news I remembered the movie Footloose in which they burn books like Slaughterhouse 5 because it's "a bad influence for the youth of today". So burning the Qur'an is kinda like punching Kevin Bacon in the face. He just wants to dance!

I'd like to see how people here would react if those westboro baptist church assholes were organizing a comic burning party.  

HE JUST WANTED TO DANCE!
SuperTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SuperTide

I like how this guy has FIFTY!!! people in his church yet some act like it's the majority of Christians that were gonna do it. Also, would a planned Bible burning have gotten the outrage that this did? Nah of course not. Also, it was stupid from the beginning. Burning 200-300 Korans accomplishes nothing good.

shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31  Edited By shanana

IT's weird that the Koran burning was supposed to be a thing for his church and his community. The media got involved now everyone knows smh

SuperTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SuperTide

I think it was just supposed to be for HIM. For his ego, so he could get all the attention. which he did. As a Christian myself I can tell you that that guy does NOT have Jesus in his heart. Heck his 'church' doesn't even have 60 people.

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jotham
@iloverobots: I do agree that it's ridiculous, but we can't choose which forms of speech to allow and which to forbid.
Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By texasdeathmatch
@Jotham said:
" @iloverobots: I do agree that it's ridiculous, but we can't choose which forms of speech to allow and which to forbid. "
I think we can. Neo Nazi's don't seem to be contributing too much to society. Or vegans...
SuperTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SuperTide
@texasdeathmatch said:
" @Jotham said:
" @iloverobots: I do agree that it's ridiculous, but we can't choose which forms of speech to allow and which to forbid. "
I think we can. Neo Nazi's don't seem to be contributing too much to society. Or vegans... "
Heck Democrats gave the enemy aid and comfort for 8 years during Bush and labeled it free speech.
Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36  Edited By Agent Buttons
@ViciousCesar! said:
" Stay classy, America. "
Ha.
Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By texasdeathmatch
@SuperTide said:

" @texasdeathmatch said:

" @Jotham said:

I think we can. Neo Nazi's don't seem to be contributing too much to society. Or vegans... "
Heck Democrats gave the enemy aid and comfort for 8 years during Bush and labeled it free speech. "
haha for the record, I am not associated with this kid's statement
Avatar image for cezar_thescribe
Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe
@Wario88 said:
"

I agree. 

More people should do this. 

Nothing is said when other countries burn our flags, books, and make effigies of our people and burn them. 

The controlled liberal media will not touch those stories. 
They should have left him alone.

hdorman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By hdorman1

its a disgusting display of ignorance   
and the centre is 3-4 blocks away from ground zero, it has a bb court and therapy rooms 
alond with a pray area 
hardly an islamic centre 

hdorman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By hdorman1
@Retnex said:
" "Comparing all Muslims to terrorist is like comparing all Americans to the people on Jersey Shore." "
try the KKK  
more apt 
Avatar image for cezar_thescribe
Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe
 @hdorman1 said:  try the KKK  more apt  "

@hdorman1 said:  A disgusting display of ignorance    

See how that works?  :D
Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jotham
@texasdeathmatch said:
" @Jotham said:
But then whoever's in charge decides that the other major party isn't contributing anything to society, and so on.
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By King_Saturn
well he claims he isnt gonna do it now... so its all over
Hellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Hellos
@Wario88 said:
"

Isn't that the reason some people support the Islamic center going up so close to Ground Zero?

Well... just because he has the freedom to burn the Qur'an, doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. Especially when it can put our troops and other citizens overseas at risk. Same goes to building the Islamic center so close to Ground Zero. Yes, they have the freedom to build it there but I don't think it is the right thing to do.

What say you, OT?

Do you oppose the burning of the Qur'an and oppose the construction of the Islamic center because even though they have the freedom to do what they want, you know they aren't doing the right thing?

Do you support the burning of the Qur'an and support the construction of the Islamic center because they have the freedom to do what they want whether it is right or wrong?

Do you oppose the burning of the Qur'an but support the construction of the Islamic center because you don't want people disrespecting a religion?

Do you support the burning of the Qur'an but oppose the construction of the Islamic center because you just can't stand anything to do with Islam?        

"

Because you would be attacking a religion that has over a billion people worshipping it for the actions of an astronomically smaller number of extremists.  
It would be like protesting new churches or holding rallies to burn to bible after McVeigh plowed into a federal building or run under the assumption that every war veteran is going to be a crazy right wing nut that plans to blow up federal buildings killing women and children as collateral. 

The real problem is, it doesn't matter. Punishing a religion for the actions of a few is about as intolerant as it gets, claiming over a billion people are all extremists is just fear-driven propaganda to stupify people. 
Whats really hilarious is though, this ALL comes up during Midterms, this Mosque has been been planned since over a year ago. You know why we are hearing about it now? Because people want to make it into a political battleground, much like after election are over people are going to quickly forget about it along with the one in Tennessee that they are claiming is another community center of terrorism and other nonsense opponents get all riled up. 

It doesn't really matter where that mosque is going to be built your going to have the Looney's getting up to fight it's contruction under insane irrational arguments that have no place in reality.  

Terrorist training camps, BE AFRAID TENNESSEE!!! 

You know what I support.  
Build the Mosque because it really doesn't matter to anyone other than the muslims that want to go there, it's not a victory for terrorists and would symbolize America's ability to defend the minority from irrational racist / fear driven sheep that watch/listen to Fox and friends. 

As for the burning for the Qur'an, absolutely no point to attack a faith for the act of extremists like I said before.
killermike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By killermike

another epic post by Hellos

Knightly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Knightly1

My class was just talking about this yesterday in class. 
Technically, he has the right to freedom of speech just as they have the right to freedom of religion. Ultimately, this will possibly cause more problems than it would solve or help fix. Burning thee Koran will make many of the good muslims out there( yes, there are good and bad muslims, just as there are good and bad Christians) see Osama's point that America is evil. Burning it will only aid Osama and the Taliban in gaining more followers. It's like burning the bible. How many Christians would only see it as something aimed at the bad individuals rather than just all Christians? 
Building the Mosque cannot be stopped, as people have the freedom of religion to do such a thing, and I, personally, would only respect them and understand what they are doing. However, just as they have the right to freedom of religion, people will have the right to protest them doing such a thing and I could see problems arising. I just hope people see it as I see it, and see that it's a sign of peace and friendship.

Hellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Hellos
   @killermike said:
"another epic post by Hellos "

Nah people on page one beat me to it. They essentially have the same arguments for the most part, I'm just pointing out an oppinion that a lot of people share. 
The Mosque is all political crap and so is the whole Qu'ran burning that a few racist ignorant fear mongers are up in arms trying to make it christianity vs Islam.(Just what Jesus would want, right folks?) 

Just like Mr Right: 

This is going to disappear after the elections. It might come back for 2012 though, Right certainly will so the same people that say the President is muslim can attackt his history with Right.  
Then go back to calling him a muslim or both at the same time.
CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By CellphoneGirl

Well who the hell are we to say that they can't build that place near ground zero? Also to the person who was burning The Qur'an is gonna get a lot of hate when more people actually find out about it. And not to sound like a damn jerk or anything, but you really need to relax on these religious topic news threads, i don't really come to CV to see this, now if there was a War breaking loose somewhere sure i wouldn't mind, but all this is doing is getting other viners to argue with each other. 

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By longbowhunter

I guess I'm just lazy. I find myself not caring who burns a Qur'an or what gets built at ground zero. I have no strong feelings when it comes to political issues like this. Hey Florida Pastor, do us a favor and burn all religious text while your at it.
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By King_Saturn
@longbowhunter said:
" I guess I'm just lazy. I find myself not caring who burns a Qur'an or what gets built at ground zero. I have no strong feelings when it comes to political issues like this. Hey Florida Pastor, do us a favor and burn all religious text while your at it. "
ha ha... you dont honestly think a Southern Baptist Preacher is gonna burn a Bible do you ? 
:P