Boxing Quality Declining?

Avatar image for deactivated-60d8e8271946e
deactivated-60d8e8271946e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Is it just me, or is Boxing Quality declining? Back in the day, their were boxers like Foreman, Frazier, Ali, etc. Then came Lennox, Evander, Tyson etc, but not, heavyweights seem so dull.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By Samimista

When I saw the title I first thought you meant cardboard boxes but yeah I do think the quality has been declining for some years now.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By TheGoldenOne
I agree.
Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

I'm not really a fan but it does seem to have lost that kind of quality to it that it seemed to have back in the days of Foreman, Frazier etc.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By King_Saturn
The Quality of Pro Boxing is Declining... there are a Few Good Boxing Prospects left though... one of them just fought last night ( Saul Alvarez )
Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

yep boxing is so boring now.....

armylife1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By armylife1124

If Paciau and Mayweather ever get in the ring that will be tight because of the build up, but I could not name a heavyweight right now.  UFC/MMA has taken boxings place right now...

odinforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By odinforce
WE NEED PACQUIAO VS. MAYWEATHER PRONTO
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Declining? Boxing has been dead since like 2000-01.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By PowerHerc

It's already done ideclining. It's practically dead.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh you white people and your love for big guys.
I dont know why you always like big thing, something to do with small ... well sorry for the bad joke.
If you see, is about money, MMA are doing money so they let the fans belives "its real" and all that crap unti they get bored, so they give him some good ol boxing.
In words of Vince McMahons:
ITS ALL ABOUT HE MONEEEEEY!!!!

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cattlebattle
@DeathpooltheT1000 said:
Oh you white people and your love for big guys. I dont know why you always like big thing, something to do with small ... well sorry for the bad joke. If you see, is about money, MMA are doing money so they let the fans belives "its real" and all that crap unti they get bored, so they give him some good ol boxing. In words of Vince McMahons: ITS ALL ABOUT HE MONEEEEEY!!!!
Once again you read my mind....except for the white people comment. MMA is like pro Wrestling 2.0

While Pacquio is amazing, he still doesn't have the chutzpah that Tyson and Foreman had
mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mikethekiller
MMA is nothing like pro wrestling. These people are actually skilled in martial artist, how you could compare the two is beyond me.
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ssejllenrad

Just because it's not as hot in the US as MMA doesn't mean it's dead. It just lacks current good Americans that's why a lot of Americans think it's dead.But in Mexico and South America it ain't dead. In Asia, most especially the Philippines, it ain't dead. In Europe it ain't dead? Why? Cause these regions have tons of good contenders for the sport. 
Though it is true that the quality is dropping quite significantly.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cattlebattle
@mikethekiller said:
MMA is nothing like pro wrestling. These people are actually skilled in martial artist, how you could compare the two is beyond me.
Uh MMA is planned out, and fixed much like Pro wrestling, do you live in a cave
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ssejllenrad
@cattlebattle: Good points but... Until I see a stonecold stunner in MMA, I will never be convinced! Okay, a people's elbow would do... :D
cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cattlebattle
@ssejllenrad said:
@cattlebattle: Good points but... Until I see a stonecold stunner in MMA, I will never be convinced! Okay, a people's elbow would do... :D
I believe Ken Shamrock dropped elbows, being he worked as both wrestler and MMa fighter, that big idiot Lesnar too
mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mikethekiller
@cattlebattle: So your saying when people get knocked out that's not real?
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ssejllenrad
@cattlebattle: I've watched all Pancrase fights of Shamrock and I have never seen him do elbow drops. And of course professional wrestling does not count cause I said I wanna see them moves in MMA...
cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cattlebattle
@mikethekiller said:

@cattlebattle: So your saying when people get knocked out that's not real?

Do you live in a cave?? You have never heard of a fixed fight, In boxing fighters take dives all the time, In MMA more so.You can cause serious damage to a persons brain when you knock them unconcious, that's why Boxers where the gloves they do, to cushion it,So maybe out of all the fights ever I'll give maybe 20% for being genuine--mind you I'm not saying these guys aren't for real I'm sure they're all talented athletes and Martial Artists, I'm just saying don't put that much stake in something so commercialized....Remember there was a point in time when everyone thought Wrestling was real

. @ssejllenrad said:

@cattlebattle: I've watched all Pancrase fights of Shamrock and I have never seen him do elbow drops. And of course professional wrestling does not count cause I said I wanna see them moves in MMA...

I was joking about the elbows
mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mikethekiller
@cattlebattle: Proof?
cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cattlebattle

@mikethekiller said:
@cattlebattle: Proof?

For starters 

mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mikethekiller
@cattlebattle: The kick connected with his head and dropped him, it didn't even knock him out. I know because I watched that fight.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ab1ccc482197
deactivated-5ab1ccc482197

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: Instead of a gif designed to show it as a 'fake' kick. Why don't you try and watch the actual fight.
cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By cattlebattle
@mikethekiller said:

@cattlebattle: The kick connected with his head and dropped him, it didn't even knock him out. I know because I watched that fight.

@Alurvelve

said:

@cattlebattle: Instead of a gif designed to show it as a 'fake' kick. Why don't you try and watch the actual fight.

LOL it's not designed this actually happened....and notice his highly unnecessary cage kick off. awesome right?? I'm not saying it's completely fake but some of it is scripted and definetly fixed among the judges and so on

http://www.mmamania.com/2010/3/11/1368998/quinton-rampage-jackson-pride-fc
Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By Pharoh_Atem
@Vance Astro said:
@PowerHerc said:

It's already done ideclining. It's practically dead.

agreed........
Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikethekiller said:

@cattlebattle said:

@mikethekiller said:

Uh MMA is planned out, and fixed much like Pro wrestling, do you live in a cave
I have two words for you Brock Freacking Lesnar.
Lesnar sucked at wrestling, i mean he lost a figth to Kurt Angle, this happened in the WWE locker rooms and many wrestlers talked about it and said that was amazing to see Angle a smaller, faster and better wrestler could destroy a bigger guy.
Angle WWE/TNA Champion 1 Brock Lesnar UFC/WWE Champion 0
Wrestling is harder, when you are a wrestler the WWE destroy the idea of being a wrestler with a bunch of guys and girl that never trainned to be a wrestler.
In other word, they used their bodies to get the job, if you understand what i mean.
Also the WWE/TNA are more of a male soup opera that actually wrestling.
This is Rey Mysterio in his young years, tell me you can do that?
  All the thing on the video look harder that any MMA move.
mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mikethekiller

MMA is an actual combat sport recognized as such in many states in america as well as various countries across the world, people from various martial arts background pratice MMA. There are professional boxers and Kickboxers that have crossed over to MMA and vise versa. If you believe MMA  is fake then you must also believe boxing, kickboxing, and all other forms of combat sports are fake.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ssejllenrad

Of-topic: Is it just me or do wrestlers seem tougher than MMA guys? I mean yeah professional wrestling is fake and all but their stunts are just crazy. They still take some sort of punishment don't they? Maybe not as grave as the ones in any real full-contact sport. But they do it at least once a week without an off-season... That's brutal. Add the memorization of scripts and the pressure of having to be interesting to the fans week-in week-out... You got a multitasking SOB.

armylife1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By armylife1124

Sadly MMA is more legit right now than Boxing, I wish Boxing was still big, but you have 4 or 5 champions in EACH WEIGHT CLASS, the skill is not there, there are not as many people striving to be boxers when they grow up so the talent pool will continue to dwindle.  Comparing MMA to wrestling is pretty sad though, the only people that would compare the two are people with a limited knowledge of what MMA actually do.  I am not dissing wrestlers, I like wrestling too, and respect what they do, they are athletes and it is amazing they do not get seriously hurt more often, but it is still scripted.  Boxing has had many question the legitimacy of its outcomes on numerous occasions, and has had so many internal issues that it has sadly became a mockery of what it used to be.  MMA in terms of relevance is almost in the arena of the 5 major U.S. Sports.  

Avatar image for saiyan_earthling
saiyan_earthling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By saiyan_earthling

Damn right it is.

Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Wise Son
MMA has taken Boxing's place in America. There is no way it's as phony as wrestling as some of you guys are suggesting. Wrestling looks like a soap opera starring steroid popping meat heads week in and week out. MMA is much more legit. 
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Billy Batson

Boxing is dead. 

BB

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ssejllenrad
@Billy Batson said:

Boxing is dead. 

BB

Only in America... Maybe in the UK as well.. But not in the rest of the world.
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Billy Batson
@ssejllenrad said:
@Billy Batson said:

Boxing is dead. 

BB

Only in America... Maybe in the UK as well.. But not in the rest of the world.

What about Africa? Europe doesn't really have any big names atm (well there is one well know Russian boxer). Haven't been keeping up with Asia. 

BB

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ssejllenrad
@Billy Batson: Russia's got 2... In Europe you have 1, if you include Britain, cause of Haye. Germany and its neighboring countries may not have big names in the international circuit but boxing there is alive and well, locally speaking. I can't really say boxing is big in France cause of the Savate monopoly but Spain and  Portugal have still good local boxing support (at least two years ago when I toured there) but they're were slowly transitioning to MMA as well. Northern Europeans prefer kickboxing over the boxing and MMA though.

I don't really know for the whole of Africa but the southern region, especially South Africa, rarely talks about MMA. It's all boxing over there. Maybe it's a different thing up north but I haven't been there so I wouldn't know.

East  + Southeast Asia and South+Central America are all similar in that boxing is quite more popular than MMA. The Philippines + Mexico rivalry may have been a good factor in that. Plus in Japan, maybe the fall of Pride. The exception I would give in southeast Asia would be Singapore and China. The former is more MMA-inclined while the latter is more Sanshou-inclined. But Taiwan and Hong Kong (despite having the Chinese) still love boxing.

MMA is slowly rising and boxing is slowly falling. But it ain't dead yet. If MMA got into the Olympics, maybe it will kill boxing. But as it stands it still alive and kicking... In this case punching...
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Billy Batson
@ssejllenrad:  

By Northern European you mean Scandinavians? Not sure about kickboxing if you're talking about Scandinavians. 

BB

mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mikethekiller
@ssejllenrad: In Japan MMA is still pretty huge along with K-1
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ssejllenrad
@Billy Batson: Haha! Sorry for that. Sometimes I'm just lazy.

@mikethekiller: Not as big as it used to be. Ever since the loss of Pride, MMA in Japan has been limping. Sengoku folded. Pancrase and Shooto are bringing in smaller and smaller numbers. Dream and K-1 went on a long hiatus earlier this year, etc. Hopefully, FEG's restructuring would save the industry over there.
Avatar image for fenixrevolution
fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#40  Edited By fenixREVOLUTION

@Samimista said:

When I saw the title I first thought you meant cardboard boxes but yeah I do think the quality has been declining for some years now.

I thought this too!

mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mikethekiller
@ssejllenrad: I think that was because of the earthquake. Dream just had an event last month and is going to have another one next month, K-1 is going to have 63kg Japan tournament in a couple of days. 
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ssejllenrad
@mikethekiller: Sengoku fold was due to the quake but the Dream and K-1 hiatus wasn't. They were having financial problems ever since 2009. In fact, if it wasn't for the quake, the restructuring of their umbrella company FEG would have taken longer. Having the fundraiser Dream Fight for Japan(aka 16.5) event was perfect for their publicity and hopefully would bring back the glory days of Japanese MMA. Unfortunately it would take some time to reach that. Haven't you noticed the last event was held only on the reduced Saitama Arena hall instead of the full capacity arena? It's because they are trying to do things almost from square one again.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vance Astro said:
No. Tyson vs Lewis happened in 2002, that was great. Maywhether and Pacman are great too, but yeah, Heavyweight Boxing went crap in 2003-2004.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holyfield still boxes, he's still good, but he hasn't had a BIG fight yet. But one day a new great Heavyweight will appear.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By King_Saturn
after what happened with the Haye vs Klitchsko fight... I think its official to say the Heavyweight Division is completely dead... 
gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#46  Edited By gravitypress

Agree with the OP

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By King_Saturn
that Paul Williams fight was Awful... how could they give that fight to Paul considering how bad he got his butt beat ? 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@King Saturn said:
after what happened with the Haye vs Klitchsko fight... I think its official to say the Heavyweight Division is completely dead... 
Yeah, very one-sided. Haye blamed it on his toe, which is just a chickens way out. HW devision is dead, but their are prospects I've seen, Seth Mithcell, George Foreman III, that Deontay guy, I've seen some upcoming heavyweights, but now the only good ting about it is Mayweather, Pacquiao etc. But one day a new exciting heavyweight will appear.