Box Office records have lost all meaning.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

I read an article today that really had me thinking, and at the end of the day I had to agree: Box Office records now a days have no meaning. You should read this article and tell me what you think.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/07/23/as-jurassic-world-tops-avengers-have-our-box-office-records-lost-all-meaning/

Besides the otherwise 2 untouchable James Cameron films, Box Office records will just keep falling. Star Wars 7 will most likely find its way in the top 10 easily, and maybe even creep pass Jurassic World, however in a blink of an eye, BvS could pass them both. For tentpole film Studios, series, producers, etc it's almost a disappointment if you make anything less than 1 billion, ESPECIALLY for big name superhero films. If BvS brought in 900 million world wide, it would be a huge success in terms of profit. However, it would be a disappointment because it didn't even touch the Avengers.

Avatar image for the_caped_crusader
The_Caped_Crusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I don't think any movie will beat Avatar.

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, that'll be a very hard feat, even with today's IMAX, 3D, and foreign markets. It nearly maed 3 billion.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@petey_is_spidey: WB likes to disappoint itself because BvS won't make a billion.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DBVSE7

It doesn't mean anything cause it's constantly made into a competition.. who cares if it didn't touch Avengers?

Avatar image for deactivated-61bde0e570bb9
deactivated-61bde0e570bb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem isnt so much studios being disapointed by the take, its the sheer cost of making a film these days.

In this case, i always cite the 2012 John Carter of Mars movie. The movie was made with a fairly typical $200 million production budget, but, riding on the coattails of Avengers, Disney slapped a $658 Million dollar marketing budget on to the production cost. This means, the movie basically had to clock $900 mil in the first month to break even, and at least a billion to even be close to making a profit, an insanely ambitious target for a really mediocre movie.

So yeah, blame the marketers.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What meaning do you think they had in the first place? I mean Iron Man 3 grossed as much as Iron Man 1&2 combined despite being the worst of the franchise. You just take it for what it is. Its a combination of expectation, marketing, star power and to some degree entertainment value. No one judges movies purely on how much money they made unless you are the studio who is making the money.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

@spidey_jackson: Thx for tagzzz.

And yes, due to the high demand of expensive blockbusters, the records will be broken over and over again. Jurassic World just reached 3rd all time, and it wasn't even that big of a deal. Frankly, box office records are a much bigger deal for fans if you think about it. On this site, we like to compare movies by their box office numbers in order to determine which was better in the eyes of the public, and we consider movies 'failures' when they don't reach certain expectations. Man of Steel was a disappointment to fans at the BO because it only made around 700M. But it nearly tripled its budget, which is a huge success in any business setting.

Unless the top 2 get overtaken, no one will care any more. Over the next year, at least 3 more movies will break into the all time top 10 (Cap 3, BvS, Star Wars). And every year after that, at least 2 more will take those spots.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@the_caped_crusader said:

Yeah, that'll be a very hard feat, even with today's IMAX, 3D, and foreign markets. It nearly maed 3 billion.

Gone with the wind. :P

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo said:

@petey_is_spidey said:

Gone with the wind. :P

If Gone With the Wind was released in this day and age, it wouldn't have gained any where near honestly.

DoctorXander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

We've known that since the last two Transformers movies made over a billion. I've never really understood how quite a lot of movies get in the top 10.