#1 Posted by MatKrenz (1233 posts) - - Show Bio

Obviously in school we were forced to read different books for assignments. What I want to know from all you Viners out there is what are the books that left any sort of impression, positive or negative. What were the good, the bad and the ugly. Did you watch the movie adaptation if it had one ?

For example in 10th grade English I read "Freak The Mighty", I found it to be boring quite boring and the only reason I remember it is because I saw the movie and it had a young Kieran Culkin (Wallace from Scott Pilgrim) and Meat Loaf in it.

Also in 9th grade French I read "Catcher in the Rye", which I didn't know it was this famous book until I was halfway through it, looked at the inside cover and saw the text that said this is translation. Anyways I wasn't fan of the book at all, found the main character to be unlikable as hell and his point of view incredible stupid.

Then in 10th grade French I read "Harold and Maude" and I hated that one to, the main characters were not only unlikable but their acts reprehensible. Maude was not only stealing cars but they stole a police officers bike when they were pulled over and they never get caught for that sh*t, it annoyed the crap out of me.

Then in 11th grade English I read "Animal Farm" and this was by far the best book I read, terrifying social commentary about communist Russia and all the other countries of that time. Truly a book anyone should read.

So share your experience with terrible high school books.

#2 Posted by Dabee (2380 posts) - - Show Bio

@matkrenz said:
Then in 10th grade French I read "Harold and Maude" and I hated that one to, the main characters were not only unlikable but their acts reprehensible. Maude was not only stealing cars but they stole a police officers bike when they were pulled over and they never get caught for that sh*t, it annoyed the crap out of me.

You should see the movie. The ridiculousness of the characters is what makes them so loveable.

#3 Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio

Lots of Roald Dahl, animal farm, Rosemary's baby, lots of Dutch books like War winter, the golden egg etc :)

We pretty much got to choose ourselves what to read, and i already read a lot back then :)

#4 Posted by AmazingGamer91 (23 posts) - - Show Bio

I had to read the same stuff, like "Animal Farm" (which I loved) and "Catcher in the Rye". I also REALLY like "To Kill a Mockingbird" and kind of Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer. As soon as I got to my AP Lit class, I started reading some other well known novels, like "The Handmaid's Tale" (which my entire class, including me, loved) and "The Heart of Darkness," as well as Mary Shelly's "Frankenstein," which is still one of my favorite novels to this day! The one's that I did not care for were ones like "Pride and Prejudice" and "Portrait of an Artist As a Young Man." Too...ummm...Victorian, I guess, for my tastes.

#5 Edited by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

Read? HAHAHA!!! We had Sparknotes! I was in all advanced classes, and teachers were really lenient and trusting with us outgoing (popular if you will) students. I enjoyed and fully read the Outsiders, Animal Farm (my favorite), Night by Elie Wiesel (second favortie), Frankenstein, the Old Man and the Sea, and Julius Caeser. Theres probably almost three dozen others that I got bored with in the first chapter and SparkNoted the rest.

-I liked Hemingway because he was all "forget what these literary scholars are saying about my books."

"There isn't any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is the old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The sharks are sharks, no better, no worse. All the symbolism people say is sh*t. What goes beyond is what you see beyond when you know"

#6 Edited by GrandSymbiote94 (11523 posts) - - Show Bio

Twilight series. Also f**k everyone who hates the books. Don't care for the movies at all though.

Among the hidden series... AWESOME.

The Gun. Made a poem for this one in Language arts.

Scorpions. AWESOME.

Dark Fusion Series. Red Rider's Hood was my favorite, even got a copy signed by the author.

umm. There's tons more give me a minute. Reading was the only thing I enjoyed in High School.

#7 Edited by czechoslovakia (93 posts) - - Show Bio

My favorite required reading from high school was Death of a Salesman. It was a play, not a novel, but it's my favorite story to this day. I've seen it live three times thus far. (Most recently w/ Andrew Garfield and Philip Seymour Hoffman).

Others I liked: To Kill a Mockingbird, Night, A Streetcar Named Desire, Lord of the Flies, Julius Caesar, A Farewell to Arms, The Age of Innocence, Narrative of Frederick Douglass, Hamlet.

Also read, but didn't really like: East of Eden, Great Expectations, Catcher in the Rye, Romeo & Juliet, Great Gatsby

#8 Edited by Dragonborn_CT (20758 posts) - - Show Bio

Les Miserables.

#9 Posted by Violens (543 posts) - - Show Bio

#10 Edited by RazzaTazz (9479 posts) - - Show Bio

The two which remain with me the most are To Kill a Mockingbird and Huckleberry Finn

#11 Posted by Kawowoi (18 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember readinf "Of mice and men"

#12 Edited by Renchamp (2288 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess I was in a horrible school system because we didn't read many of the standard works. It wasn't until later that I read most of the books mentioned in this thread. We did read a lot of Shakespeare, however, and I absolutely still love to read that guy.

#13 Edited by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember Of Mice and Men and Lord Of The Flies.

We also did a lot of Shakespeare.

#14 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, the books we had to read that I enjoyed (and remember) were:

• Of Mice and Men
  • Lord of the Flies
  • To Kill a Mockingbird
#15 Posted by BiagiaS (39 posts) - - Show Bio

In year 10 we had to read Jane Eyre which I thought was god-awful. Oh and I also hated Lord of the Flies.

But, at college we read Wuthering Heights and I absolutely loved it!

#16 Edited by The Stegman (23154 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I was forced to read a bunch of books I didn't like, however, some of them I loved such as;

-The Outsiders

-Of Mice & Men

-Grace by Paul Richard Evans

-Go Ask Alice

However, the books I read on my own time are;

-Harry Potter (religiously)

-A Series of Unfortunate Events

-Goosebumps

#17 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Good school books I read: Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, Animal Farm, Around the World in 80 Days, Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry

Bad school books I read: Frankenstein, Water Babies, Old Man & the Sea

Books I read in my own time: Goosebumps, Dune, Artemis Fowl, Number the Stars

#18 Edited by TheAcidSkull (17332 posts) - - Show Bio

The GOOD

Dr.Kekyll and Mr. Hyde - AWESOME!

To kill a Mocking Bird

All quite on the western front

Julius Caesar

Night By EW

Of Mice and Men

THE BAD

Crucible

Cather in the rye- HORRIFIC

The Giver

Pearl

Outsiders - It's Okay but mostly MEH

Siddhartha By Herman Hess.

the rest i don't remember .... :/

#19 Edited by Sideslash (5907 posts) - - Show Bio

Lord of the Flies.

#20 Edited by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5512 posts) - - Show Bio

I hated all quiet on the western front, jane eryre, scarlet letter, diary of anne frank, and romeo and juliet

I did like animal farm, odyssey, mice and men, and crucible

#21 Edited by The_Tree (7235 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved East of Eden and To Kill a Mockingbird, they really left their marks on me. I also liked The Joy Luck Club, Jane Eyre, Of Mice and Men, and Great Expectations.

I can't stand Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Scarlet Letter, and The Red Badge of Courage, though.

Fast Food Nation and The Bean Trees were okay.