• 58 results
Posted by InnerSuperman (858 posts) 1 year, 1 month ago

Poll: Body building Vs. Power lifting (17 votes)

Body Building 59%
Power Lifting 41%

do you consider yourself one or the other?

which do you prefer?

which is more challenging?

commence the discussion

#1 Posted by MistressOfTheElements (514 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't do both..

I prefer Power Lifting

Power Lifting

#2 Edited by Jezer (3096 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm too lazy to, can you define what each is and the difference between the two?

Or is it just that power lifting focuses on strength, bodybuilding focuses on aesthetics?

#3 Posted by God_Spawn (37381 posts) - - Show Bio

@jezer: Body building is focusing on aesthetics, size, shaping. Powerlifting is ....well self explanatory. It's training to lift the heaviest weight you can.

#4 Posted by Jezer (3096 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay.

I consider myself.... someone who works out casually twice a week to maintain build. Personally, I would hate to ever be labeled as either. Unless you go to competitions or have an occupation related, working out to the level that you're describing yourself with official terms just seems like a trivial pursuit.

#5 Posted by God_Spawn (37381 posts) - - Show Bio

I consider myself both. I used to focus mainly on bodybuilding because it was a good start. It got me a lot better on my nutrition facts and vast amounts of exercises to get good form in a lot of movements. And plus it helps with the ladies. But as I got more experienced, learned the truths of some myths about both sports, became a trainer, etc, I realized there wasn't a reason I couldn't do both and tweaked my programs to have a good mix of both and it was necessary for getting into wrestling since I needed size, but also functional strength.

While I enjoy the size and visual aesthetics bodybuilding has granted me, I can say that I prefer powerlifting by just a little bit. To me, I've always had more intense powerlifting workouts and I've felt better being able to lift something heavy for fewer reps and to me it was something easier to work at. I realized I was able to make massive strength gains easily so I said to myself "hey, why not?" And being deceptively strong is always fun to troll people with. People try to assume size=strength when really any experienced lifter can tell you strength can vary. I've seen guys at 150 pounds bench 300 pounds and I've seen guys at 220 pounds barely bench, or even squat their weight.

As I said, powerlifting gave me more intense workouts than my body building routines did, but that doesn't mean I don't think bodybuilding can't give you killer workouts. So overall with my style of training, powerlifting was generally more challenging.

#6 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (6954 posts) - - Show Bio

Neither. I was always the person who preferred a lean build, over a bigger build. I also wanted to get stronger, without gaining too much muscle mass, which can be extremely difficult sometimes (mostly because I tend to not know wtf I'm doing lmao). All in all, I would prefer a build similar to Bruce Lee, over let's say Arnold Schwarzenegger.

#7 Posted by ARMIV2 (8306 posts) - - Show Bio

When I used to go to the gym, a majority...shoot, all of what I did was to build my body. 'Course that was also the time I was going through that severe emotional crisis and everything was--...

So yeah, I didn't focus on it like I should. Nowadays I try to do things in a way that gets my whole body moving.

#8 Posted by TDK_1997 (14474 posts) - - Show Bio

Currently as I am going to the gym I prefer body building instead of powerlifting.Not that I have anything against it or that I don't like but I just need to shape my body in the way I want right now.

#9 Edited by TheAcidSkull (17360 posts) - - Show Bio

Unlimited PAWA!

#10 Edited by ShadowSwordmaster (12334 posts) - - Show Bio

well I work out but not a lot lately.

#11 Posted by PowerHerc (81712 posts) - - Show Bio

Combination.

#12 Posted by MonsterStomp (16153 posts) - - Show Bio

Body Building for sure.

#13 Posted by queens_bishop (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Both. All things in moderation.

#14 Posted by laflux (14323 posts) - - Show Bio

Neither. I was always the person who preferred a lean build, over a bigger build. I also wanted to get stronger, without gaining too much muscle mass, which can be extremely difficult sometimes (mostly because I tend to not know wtf I'm doing lmao). All in all, I would prefer a build similar to Bruce Lee, over let's say Arnold Schwarzenegger.

I'd say so for me. Also, I tend to gain muscle alot faster in the chests area than my arms @god_spawn advice (without some smart-ass jab about my Inebriated activities) any advice :P

#15 Edited by laflux (14323 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17360 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by Pyrogram (35148 posts) - - Show Bio

Train for functional strength. Neither of them or both of them depending on how you see it.

#18 Posted by laflux (14323 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

Train for functional strength. Neither of them or both of them depending on how you see it.

That's a bit of a cop-out answer ain't it :P

#19 Posted by Pyrogram (35148 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux: No functional strength is actually valuable compare those other two which won't benefit you in later life.

#20 Edited by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

Like cardio or that gymnastics/swimming stuff

#21 Posted by laflux (14323 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@laflux: No functional strength is actually valuable compare those other two which won't benefit you in later life.

*Starts to think of a way to bait God_Spawn and Pyro into a fight to see who is stronger :P*

#22 Edited by Pyrogram (35148 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx: Not really ( Yes actually, its relative ) . Training for specific things, Martial arts in my case. Or simply how I weight train, heavy heavy weight low reps to build strength but not mass, Strength stays with you ( As that kinda strength training also strengths tendons faster ) but mass, and that kind of purely superficial bodybuilding leaves you in later years and is not true strength. Only superficial.

#23 Posted by Pyrogram (35148 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux: Considering my functional strength training revolves around martial arts and being stronger than the other person....... :P

#24 Edited by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: Running is a crucial skill >.>

cops are annoying

Martial arts can be done with proper conditioning and cross training, like boxers and MMA folks do

#25 Posted by laflux (14323 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@laflux: Considering my functional strength training revolves around martial arts and being stronger than the other person....... :P

Problem @god_spawn ?

#26 Posted by Pyrogram (35148 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx: Agreed. But I hate people who body-build and expect to be "strong" when infact only the superficial muscles are big but their interior muscles, pelvic floor and deep muscles are all weak as heck. They pop tendons/muscles when lifting heavy too quick without a warmup. I seen that, aint funny!

#27 Edited by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: I can list a number of examples where pure muscle men lose against mma fighters, since they are out of their water. Juicing up does not fix a glass jaw, take Tyson vs Spinks or Bob Sapp vs anyone. Lifting strength and striking power are two different ballparks.

#28 Posted by Pyrogram (35148 posts) - - Show Bio

@nerx: Exactly. Anybody can lift heavy and have superficial muscle but true strength needs much more dedication and specific training IMO.

#29 Posted by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: Sometimes I just do not understand in mr olympian or female bodybuilding competitions why they have to be tanned. Repetition.

#30 Posted by God_Spawn (37381 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux: You want in advice in what?

@nerx said:

@pyrogram: Sometimes I just do not understand in mr olympian or female bodybuilding competitions why they have to be tanned. Repetition.

Because being tan makes definition appear easier than being pasty white.

#31 Edited by God_Spawn (37381 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@pyrogram said:

Problem @god_spawn ?

Not really. Considering I do box, wrestle, and practice other types of martial arts, I try and encompass other things like explosive and compound type movements to get the most force out of things. But as I said earlier, I still have powerlifting and bodybuilding elements to my training and even some crossfit training, as well. Some people are stronger in different areas. DM has my squat and bench beat, but my deadlift blows his out of the water.

#32 Edited by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: Now they got better camera and whatnot, or is that just old tradition?

#33 Posted by dum529001 (1624 posts) - - Show Bio

Its important to condition all the muscle groups of the body, not just the ones that appear most outwardly.

#34 Edited by InnerSuperman (858 posts) - - Show Bio

power lifting

someone who trains to lift the heaviest weights possible. specifically in the Squat,Bench Press and Dead lift exercises.

Body Building

is working out in order to build mass and volume its more about beating yourself then beating others.

diet being more important here.

maxing out and perfecting your body vs. Becoming as strong or powerful as you can.

#35 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@innersuperman: Both Arnold and Franco were power-lifters far before they became body-builders. Most professional body-builders of that time were in fact. Today, it's a tad bit different as training regime's tend to change.

#36 Posted by EnigmaLantern (718 posts) - - Show Bio

I, personally, wouldn't recommend any of those two styles of working out. I go to the gym mainly to gain some muscle mass but mostly to tone my body and maintain my cardio at a good level. I'm not into pushing your body into boundaries which is not natural to the human body, you end up damaging your body more than actually doing good to it.

#37 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

I, personally, wouldn't recommend any of those two styles of working out. I go to the gym mainly to gain some muscle mass but mostly to tone my body and maintain my cardio at a good level. I'm not into pushing your body into boundaries which is not natural to the human body, you end up damaging your body more than actually doing good to it.

I would have to disagree with you there. Obviously, everyone has a preference as to how to workout and that much I can agree with. Although, pushing your body is absolutely fine within the confines of safety and proper form. Your body does not grow substantially within a few days, it takes years and develops at a natural course. With the addition of drugs yes, it becomes damaging to the body. Otherwise, it is perfectly fine.

#38 Posted by Pyrogram (35148 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@pyrogram said:

Problem @god_spawn ?

Not really. Considering I do box, wrestle, and practice other types of martial arts, I try and encompass other things like explosive and compound type movements to get the most force out of things. But as I said earlier, I still have powerlifting and bodybuilding elements to my training and even some crossfit training, as well. Some people are stronger in different areas. DM has my squat and bench beat, but my deadlift blows his out of the water.

Personally if I could only do a few exercises they would be dead-lifts, squats and pull-ups XD Ohh and pushups, I love myself pushups!

#39 Edited by EnigmaLantern (718 posts) - - Show Bio

@enigmalantern said:

I would have to disagree with you there. Obviously, everyone has a preference as to how to workout and that much I can agree with. Although, pushing your body is absolutely fine within the confines of safety and proper form. Your body does not grow substantially within a few days, it takes years and develops at a natural course. With the addition of drugs yes, it becomes damaging to the body. Otherwise, it is perfectly fine.

Yeah, I would have to disagree with you as well. Pushing your body to limits such as the size of say, Arnold Schwarzenegger, can put heavy pressure to the heart to be able to pump blood around such large muscles and body mass, even if the heart does grow (slightly) during the course of body building, it will still put unneeded and non-recommended additional pressure to the heart which makes that person more prone to cardiovascular problems and especially heart problems. And this is just one example. Our bodies, as suggested by most human biologists, is still developed and evolved for hunting, which requires good cardio and a build up of muscle, but nowhere near to the extent of what body builders go to, and power lifters even. Our body is not adapted and/or prepared for this kind of workout, simply because our body has never had the need to be this big in muscle mass.

I would like to point out that I am not saying that you're wrong, I am just offering my opinion on this topic after having studied biology in College, I still take into account the points you make and am happy to exchange opinions and ideas :)

#40 Posted by God_Spawn (37381 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: If I could only do a few. Bench, squat, deadlift, powercleans, snatches, and push press.

#41 Edited by Pyrogram (35148 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: Ahh...I suck at snatches so much its unreal lol

#42 Edited by God_Spawn (37381 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: I just recently started doing them about a month ago, and I have a love/hate relationship with them. But whatevs, I managed to add 50-60 pounds to it in 3 weeks so I decided to stick with it.

#43 Posted by Pyrogram (35148 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: My love/hate is deadlifts for some reason lol

#44 Posted by God_Spawn (37381 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: Deadlifting is my bread and butter lol.

#45 Posted by Pyrogram (35148 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: My fave, without a doubt in my heart is pullups and chinups XD

#46 Posted by God_Spawn (37381 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: Then we are opposites since I am not a fan of those, lol. I do them anyway cause they work, but I prefer cable pulldowns and different types of rows.

#47 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@nerx: Martial arts in my case. Only superficial.

I would stick kick the crap out of you, douchebag. =O

And yes, you are superficial.

#48 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio
#49 Posted by Pyrogram (35148 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: Maybe 'cos I started exercise for a year or two with calisthenics.

#50 Posted by God_Spawn (37381 posts) - - Show Bio

@xanni15 said:

@deranged_midget said:

Good to know, drugs aren't totally bad according to DM! Take notes, kids. 0.0

They totally sell testosterone boosters legally :P. Or you can just take fishoil, vitamin D3, and zinc supplements and you get the same effect. Hell, people take raw eggs, raw milk, and chia seeds and that also does the same thing.

The more you know.