Blade Runner Sequel Discussion Thread

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By _Gaff_

For those who may or may not know, the 1982 cult classic is getting a sequel. Not much is known, but this is what we have been told.

1. Ridley Scott is directing.
  2. Harrison Ford has been offered to reprise his role.
  3. Original screenwriter Hampton Fancher and Michael Green (Green Lantern) are working on the script.
  4. Katy Perry wants to play Rachael :P

What do you think?

No Caption Provided

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I think it would be better to leave the series alone, it's been so long since the original that it's gonna be hard to capture the same essence and not doing so might cheapen the "series". But I am not strongly against the idea like I would be if it was another shitty remake, just unsure and not so positive about this. We do need more Cyberpunk movies though!

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh and.. Katy Perry definetly has the looks for the part. :P Haven't seen her acting though, but I suspect it's far from good enough.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By ShadowSwordmaster

This sounds interesting and at least it has the people that made the first one.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No thank you. Do not want.

Blade Runner is my favourite movie of all time. I don't need a 'new, modern' Blade Runner with limitless CG and an 'exciting, new' story. BR is perfect as a stand alone story. Deckard and Rachael got away (for how long is up to your imagination) and the world of BR went on without any more adventures for Rick Deckard.

Ridley Scott has constantly fiddled with the orginal with the different versions. I think everyone remembers the last time the original director of a movie 'did it the right way' with the modern installments in a classic sci-fi series.

Ridley Scott one of the best visual directors around, but it's hard to trust him with story. Prometheus was a beautiful mess. Harrison Ford should retire (yeah i said it). the dude looks so depressed to still be acting; we lost charming rogue Harrison Ford and got grumpy old man Harrison Ford.

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip: I share your concerns.

I am also worried that Scott wants to establish in story that Deckard is a replicant. He stated this is his position and the Final Cut he made heavily suggested Deckard was. I think that is something the fans should be left to decide and in the process make us question what it is to be human.

I would hate to see the 3 decade old debate come to an end.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@_gaff_: But Deckard IS a replicant. :P

I guess it's not exactly fair for me to say that only because it's the theory I've always subscribed to, and the Final Cut is my favorite version of the film. I actually agree that it should be left open to interpretation.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Also doesn't help that Scott has not made a good movie in years.

Also not sure what the motivation is here. I understand how beloved it is now and how much of a classic its considered, but at the time Blade Runner was a bomb. And I don't see how 30 years of time is going to make it make money now.

Its not like cyberpunk is a mainstream genre,.

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@_gaff_: But Deckard IS a replicant. :P

I guess it's not exactly fair for me to say that only because it's the theory I've always subscribed to, and the Final Cut is my favorite version of the film. I actually agree that it should be left open to interpretation.

Ya, I have always leaned toward the "Deckard is not a replicant" argument. Hopefully Scott will leave it to interpretation.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How would people feel if they made a movie in the same setting, only different characters and a new title? I feel like this would be the better option, obviously they would earn less money without riding the BR name, but I don't think it would piss off many fans.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

At least it's not a remake.

But Katy Perry? Really?

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By _Gaff_

@bruxae said:

How would people feel if they made a movie in the same setting, only different characters and a new title? I feel like this would be the better option, obviously they would earn less money without riding the BR name, but I don't think it would piss off many fans.

Ya, I would fell better if the move focused on new characters in the same universe. Lets pretend Soldiernever happened. That is why them asking Ford to return worried me. That being said, I would love to see Gaff make a cameo or something.

No Caption Provided

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well Scott said the script is finished. And that Ford will have "a part of" it. Link

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

chamber-music

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope Gosling s playing a replicant.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By legacy6364

Katy Perry?

F*** you Hollywood!

Avatar image for deactivated-5cecb3b554104
deactivated-5cecb3b554104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 14

Bleh. No Phillip K. Dicking around. Some movies don't need a sequel. The original told the story it needed to tell. I don't give a damn about the logistics. What does this sequel want to accomplish??

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neghead said:

Bleh. No Phillip K. Dicking around. Some movies don't need a sequel. The original told the story it needed to tell. I don't give a damn about the logistics. What does this sequel want to accomplish??

The same thing every nostalgia-based reboot/decades-later sequels wants. To make a crapload of money on name recognition alone.

Please Ridley, don't do this! You can mess around with the alien series as much as you want, that series has been broken since Alien 3. Hell, make a sequel to Robin Hood, I promise to see that movie 5 times, in 3d, on IMAX; just don't ruin Balde Runner. Blade Runner is one of the rare gems in sci-fi film history that hasn't been ruined by terrible sequels/prequels.

hatemalingsia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok.

The_Commander_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, the movie came out already. Bump time!