Black people thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for living_monstrosity
Living_Monstrosity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I'm a white guy and I wanna know what are you all up to these days and what topics are important to you. Yes this is a serious question. I'm trying to educate myself.

INLIFE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By INLIFE

It's going to rain.

White people thinking.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Flagged this I am sick of these threads

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PrinceIMC

Isn't this the second one of these?

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Decoy Elite

Hi Mr.Late, the party is over in my "Humans thread."

TheMadMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheMadMarvel

@mrdecepticonleader said:

I'm making a green people thread so prepare yourself

FalconPuuunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By FalconPuuunch

@TheMadMarvel said:

@mrdecepticonleader said:

I'm making a green people thread so prepare yourself

I'm green on the inside. Can I come?

TheMadMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheMadMarvel

@FalconPuuunch: No. These threads are only skin deep.

FalconPuuunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By FalconPuuunch

@TheMadMarvel said:

@FalconPuuunch: No. These threads are only skin deep.

...but I can change.... probably.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KnightRise

The UNCF is expanding its scholarship program. If only I had a 4.0... NAACP awards were on the other day. Oprah's rich.

Feel free to ask me questions! I may not be the official spokesman for black people...yet... but I'll answer. I love educating the truly curious.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Blood1991

Was the first one locked or something? I don't see what is wrong with discussing race as long as no one is being disrespectful.

YoungJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By YoungJustice  Online

LOL, good fry.

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By minigunman123

This makes no sense.

It, the original post, seems to imply that black people are somehow separate from the rest of society, and make collective decisions together, based solely around being black; "I wanna know what you are all up to these days".

Am I the only one who thinks this is a weird, almost inadvertently racist thread? I don't think he's racist, but the way he worded it... Something doesn't sit well with me.

At any rate, athletics might be common, I guess. Most of the black people I see on my college campus are all very athletic, but it may just be because I hang out with athletic people.

Overall, they're interested roughly in the same things as white people, at least, in America, that is the case. Some are interested in sciences and hardcore stuff (calculus, diff eq, engineering physics, organic chemistry etc. etc.), some are interested in humanities or communication studies, some are interested in athletics, some are interested in cultural diversity/education (I just went to a presentation about the Democratic Republic of Congo today, the students giving the presentation were, as one might expect, black citizens of DR Congo). What I've noticed is that most of them seem to be more interested in school jobs, such as working with the student body, than other things; most of the people in the student government and affiliated programs/organizations, are black. Like, I'd estimate 55%-65%.

I'd suggest simply mixing and mingling in local areas and talking with people, if you're interested. I don't think walking up to a black person and saying "what are you interested in as a black person" would fly over well, but if you said "what's it like living in America as a black person these days" you might get some interesting answers.

And just a heads up... I say "black" instead of "African American" because the term "African American" seems somewhat pretentious and rude to me, assuming all people that are black are from Africa and America both, and no other places (when really.. What if they were born in America, and aren't African at all except by heritage? What if they're from Haiti? What if they're born in Canada, but are now living in America?), and also sounds like it separates them culturally as being a different kind of American than white people. I am Irish in heritage, but am 100% American, born and raised, I am not "Irish American".

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WARLOCK2792

@Blood1991 said:

Was the first one locked or something? I don't see what is wrong with discussing race as long as no one is being disrespectful.

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/off-topic/5/black-people-thread/748292/?page=7

It's still open......which is why I flagged this one