Black people thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FalconPuuunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#251  Edited By FalconPuuunch

@TotalBalance said:

@FalconPuuunch said:

@TotalBalance said:

@FalconPuuunch said:

@TotalBalance said:

@Nelomaxwell said:

@Vance Astro: I thought they got back together and that was the end of it.@ColonelRunAway said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

Black people aren't black. They're brown.

This is what I get for clicking this thread.

Welcome.

@xxxddd: I'll counter with this I've heard that the word N!gga is actually a bastardization of the Word Negus an ethopian term for king.

Nigger is simply a slightly different spelling of the Latin word for black which is niger.

True, however it is still extremely offensive since it was used as a derogatory term by many people for a very long time. Same with the swastika. Initially it means "of a higher being" but people took that and created something ugly out of it.

It only truly became a pejorative during the 20th century, before then it was simply another word for black. I do find it a bit ridiculous how angry some folk get over a white man saying the "N-word" though.

I don't think anyone should be saying that word. Its a word that oppressed a large group of people for a very long time. I will agree however that it is ridiculous that some people think it's ok for only certain people to say that word. It's not a word to be proud of, at least not anymore. It belongs to no one and if you don't want it being said by a white man you shouldn't say it yourself. That's how I feel about it at least.

It was not a word but people who caused oppression. Can you imagine a history class where you are not allowed to say the word "Nazi" because it oppressed and killed a lot of people. It is intellectually dishonest to pretend these words don't exist, I agree we should not be using them to insult people but there is no reason for them not to be used as necessary in a scholarly setting.

There's a huge difference between the word "Nazi" and "Nigger". I would compare using the word in public with walking down the street with a swastika painted really largely on your jacket so everyone can see it. It's not about intellect or political correctness it's about respect and common decency. I may think of myself as a "higher being" but there are ways to go about that without wearing a swastika and offending a bunch of people that never did anything wrong to me. Same with that word. By definition the N word isn't a bad word, but because you are a human being that co-exists with other human beings it is the decent thing to do to at least avoid conflict and hurt feelings by not using the word (especially when there are perfectly capable synonyms).

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#252  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@TotalBalance said:

Or perhaps that is what lets me see how unjustified their anger towards a word is since I am from a (fairly) unbiased position. I can see how people would be insulted being called the "N-word" but I have gotten angry responses just because I said the word while quoting historical texts or news reports in class. It is as if they think that I should blot out the word just because they don't like it. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn has the "N-word" written in it over 200 times, Am I just supposed to pretend it is not upon the page when we are doing class readings?

I don't think it let's you see that at all, I think it allows you to choose how you want to feel about it because the word means nothing to you. It has no relevance to you as a person, your heritage or your culture so however you feel about it is based in how you think and not how you feel. I'm not particularly someone who cares who says it, it all depends on the context but I admit I cringe when I hear the word come out of the mouth of someone who isn't black. Louis C.K. is one of my favorite comedians. He doesn't censor himself, in fact he even has a bit about people saying the "n-word" instead of simply just saying n*gger and he says this word on stage regardless of the audience and in front of other black comics. I don't get mad at him because I understand the context and I understand his intensions aren't to offended me but I honestly have subconscious distaste for the word. It's been drilled into my head since I was a kid that the word is disrespectful to me and my ethnicity. No matter what I THINK about people saying the word I can change how I FEEL.  

As far as your scenario about historical text, I agree you shouldn't be attacked for using the word within that context. I read Huck Finn in school and I honestly loved the story. There's more to it then a racial slur, used to describe one of the characters.
BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#253  Edited By BlessedbyHorus

Is anyone willing to debate on race. Race doesn't, its just a social construct that is made up. I still consider myself black because people see me as a black person. But race doesn't exist. Is anyone willing to debate me?

TotalBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254  Edited By TotalBalance

@FalconPuuunch said:

@TotalBalance said:

@FalconPuuunch said:

@TotalBalance said:

@FalconPuuunch said:

@TotalBalance said:

@Nelomaxwell said:

@Vance Astro: I thought they got back together and that was the end of it.@ColonelRunAway said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

Welcome.

@xxxddd: I'll counter with this I've heard that the word N!gga is actually a bastardization of the Word Negus an ethopian term for king.

Nigger is simply a slightly different spelling of the Latin word for black which is niger.

True, however it is still extremely offensive since it was used as a derogatory term by many people for a very long time. Same with the swastika. Initially it means "of a higher being" but people took that and created something ugly out of it.

It only truly became a pejorative during the 20th century, before then it was simply another word for black. I do find it a bit ridiculous how angry some folk get over a white man saying the "N-word" though.

I don't think anyone should be saying that word. Its a word that oppressed a large group of people for a very long time. I will agree however that it is ridiculous that some people think it's ok for only certain people to say that word. It's not a word to be proud of, at least not anymore. It belongs to no one and if you don't want it being said by a white man you shouldn't say it yourself. That's how I feel about it at least.

It was not a word but people who caused oppression. Can you imagine a history class where you are not allowed to say the word "Nazi" because it oppressed and killed a lot of people. It is intellectually dishonest to pretend these words don't exist, I agree we should not be using them to insult people but there is no reason for them not to be used as necessary in a scholarly setting.

There's a huge difference between the word "Nazi" and "Nigger". I would compare using the word in public with walking down the street with a swastika painted really largely on your jacket so everyone can see it. It's not about intellect or political correctness it's about respect and common decency. I may think of myself as a "higher being" but there are ways to go about that without wearing a swastika and offending a bunch of people that never did anything wrong to me. Same with that word. By definition the N word isn't a bad word, but because you are a human being that co-exists with other human beings it is the decent thing to do to at least avoid conflict and hurt feelings by not using the word (especially when there are perfectly capable synonyms).

I see the problem in the taking offence to the word even when it is not targeted at you. I am fine if you get upset because someone called you the 'N-word" but I cannot accept that we should pretend it doesn't exist just because a few people don't like it. We shouldn't have to change history just because some people don't want to see the word on the texts handed out in class. This is not even getting into the massive double standard that blacks seem to have no trouble saying the "N-word" to each other and yet the second a white person says it, even if not directed at the person, that white person gets threatened etc. Much as what happened to me recently. I was quoting a news report on Dorner in law class in which one person testified some LAPD people called a fellow recruit a n****r which caused an altercation. After class I was promptly threatened to be 'F****d up" for saying it.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@TotalBalance 

Just for the record,profanity isn't allowed on the forums so try and censor your posts. I'll censor this one for you but you have to do it on your own from here on out.
TotalBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256  Edited By TotalBalance

@Vance Astro said:

@TotalBalance Just for the record,profanity isn't allowed on the forums so try and censor your posts. I'll censor this one for you but you have to do it on your own from here on out.

Alright, I assume the staring of every letter but the first and last is an acceptable manner of still getting the point across without typing the actual profanity, or is that method also not allowed?

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#257  Edited By jhazzroucher

this thread is awesom!

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258  Edited By Nelomaxwell
@TotalBalance: Then how exactly does that become negative?
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@TotalBalance said:

Alright, I assume the staring of every letter but the first and last is an acceptable manner of still getting the point across without typing the actual profanity,

Yea. 
TotalBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260  Edited By TotalBalance

@Nelomaxwell said:

@TotalBalance: Then how exactly does that become negative?

How does what become negative? Which post of mine are you referencing so that I may make a response.

FalconPuuunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261  Edited By FalconPuuunch

@TotalBalance said:

@FalconPuuunch said:

@TotalBalance said:

@FalconPuuunch said:

@TotalBalance said:

@FalconPuuunch said:

@TotalBalance said:

@Nelomaxwell said:

@Vance Astro: I thought they got back together and that was the end of it. @ColonelRunAway said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

Welcome.

I see the problem in the taking offence to the word even when it is not targeted at you. I am fine if you get upset because someone called you the 'N-word" but I cannot accept that we should pretend it doesn't exist just because a few people don't like it. We shouldn't have to change history just because some people don't want to see the word on the texts handed out in class. This is not even getting into the massive double standard that blacks seem to have no trouble saying the "N-word" to each other and yet the second a white person says it, even if not directed at the person, that white person gets threatened etc. Much as what happened to me recently. I was quoting a news report on Dorner in law class in which one person testified some LAPD people called a fellow recruit a n*gger which caused an altercation. After class I was promptly threatened to be 'F*cked up" for saying it.

I'm talking about using the word freely in the open. I have no problem with the word's existence nor do I want it reconned from the face of the earth, I just have a huge problem with people using it in recreational settings. I have no problem with you reading a quote from an interview or a book out loud in class, but if you're like my brother who actively calls his friends "nigga" i'm going to lose all respect for you and probably shun you forever. Even if you are black (as I mentioned earlier). The word is offensive and doesn't belong to anyone. No one is entitled to it in any way. If you actively say it and then angry for other people saying it, then you are nothing but a hypocrite.

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262  Edited By Nelomaxwell
@TotalBalance: @TotalBalance: Slight misspelling of the word niger?
TotalBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263  Edited By TotalBalance

@FalconPuuunch said:

@TotalBalance said:

@FalconPuuunch said:

@TotalBalance said:

@FalconPuuunch said:

@TotalBalance said:

@FalconPuuunch said:

@TotalBalance said:

@Nelomaxwell said:

@Vance Astro: I thought they got back together and that was the end of it. @ColonelRunAway said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

Welcome.

I see the problem in the taking offence to the word even when it is not targeted at you. I am fine if you get upset because someone called you the 'N-word" but I cannot accept that we should pretend it doesn't exist just because a few people don't like it. We shouldn't have to change history just because some people don't want to see the word on the texts handed out in class. This is not even getting into the massive double standard that blacks seem to have no trouble saying the "N-word" to each other and yet the second a white person says it, even if not directed at the person, that white person gets threatened etc. Much as what happened to me recently. I was quoting a news report on Dorner in law class in which one person testified some LAPD people called a fellow recruit a n*gger which caused an altercation. After class I was promptly threatened to be 'F*cked up" for saying it.

I'm talking about using the word freely in the open. I have no problem with the word's existence nor do I want it reconned from the face of the earth, I just have a huge problem with people using it in recreational settings. I have no problem with you reading a quote from an interview or a book out loud in class, but if you're like my brother who actively calls his friends "nigga" i'm going to lose all respect for you and probably shun you forever. Even if you are black (as I mentioned earlier). The word is offensive and doesn't belong to anyone. No one is entitled to it in any way. If you actively say it and then angry for other people saying it, then you are nothing but a hypocrite.

I know that it is an extremely derogatory and offensive term to many people so I only say it when I have to, in this case quoting an article in law. I do my best to utter no profanity at all so I definitely don't walk around saying the 'N-word". But the fact that after class I was specifically threatened and told that 'You have no right to say that word" makes me think some people don't have as sensible a view as yours.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264  Edited By King_Saturn
aw Shucky Ducky now... lmmfao
TotalBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265  Edited By TotalBalance

@Nelomaxwell said:

@TotalBalance: @TotalBalance: Slight misspelling of the word niger?

Niger is the Latin masculine, vocative, word for the color black from whence the other more derogatory term to reference black skinned people came from. Niger is not profanity right since it is proper latin not the other profane word?

(would hate to get banned for simply typing latin)

FalconPuuunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266  Edited By FalconPuuunch

@TotalBalance: I understand what you're saying and for what it's worth I think it was wrong to have been threatened like that just for quoting an article in a learning environment where it was most likely relevant and necessary.

ColonelRunAway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#267  Edited By ColonelRunAway

@TotalBalance said:

It was not a word but people who caused oppression. Can you imagine a history class where you are not allowed to say the word "Nazi" because it oppressed and killed a lot of people.

I cannot comprehend how any human being can be this abhorrently stupid.

TotalBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268  Edited By TotalBalance

@ColonelRunAway said:

@TotalBalance said:

It was not a word but people who caused oppression. Can you imagine a history class where you are not allowed to say the word "Nazi" because it oppressed and killed a lot of people.

Thank you for the compliment, would you care to elaborate?

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269  Edited By BlessedbyHorus

@ColonelRunAway said:

@TotalBalance said:

LOL...

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270  Edited By BlessedbyHorus

Still does anyone want to debate me on the concept of race? For starters there really is no such thing as a black person or white person. Just made up.

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271  Edited By Matchstick

@King-Stranglehold da first said:

Still does anyone want to debate me on the concept of race? For starters there really is no such thing as a black person or white person. Just made up.

How so? "black person' and 'white person' are just common ways to reference someone's skin tone. We all know skin tone isn't made up, sooooo....

TotalBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272  Edited By TotalBalance

There are physiological differences though between the "races" though that makes it possible to differentiate between these alleged "races". If we wanted to I am sure we could also divide humanity into the tall and short race based on that particular physiological characteristic. Humans are always looking for ways to differentiate between each other hence we segregate each other into groups, smart/dumb, black/white, omnivore/vegetarian, religious/non-religious, etcetera.....

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273  Edited By BlessedbyHorus

@Matchstick said:

How so? "black person' and 'white person' are just common ways to reference someone's skin tone. We all know skin tone isn't made up, sooooo....

You know what I;m talking about. People associate white and black with 'race'. Yet there are some Indians who are much blacker/darker in skin tone than your average African American person. Now are those Indians black?

TotalBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274  Edited By TotalBalance

@Matchstick said:

You know what I;m talking about. People associate white and black with 'race'. Yet there are some Indians who are much blacker/darker in skin tone than your average African American person. Now are those Indians black?

Depends on whether you want to operate on a solely physiological basis or account for cultural factors as well.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275  Edited By BlessedbyHorus

@TotalBalance said:

There are physiological differences though between the "races" though that makes it possible to differentiate between these alleged "races". If we wanted to I am sure we could also divide humanity into the tall and short race based on that particular physiological characteristic. Humans are always looking for ways to differentiate between each other hence we segregate each other into groups, smart/dumb, black/white, omnivore/vegetarian, religious/non-religious, etcetera.....

What do you mean physiological differences? Please elaborate more. Differences in a group of people is mostly likely due to different environments. We humans have already divided ourselves but yet we are still related to one another because all groups of [people can trace their genetics back to Africa.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276  Edited By BlessedbyHorus

@TotalBalance said:

@Matchstick said:

Depends on whether you want to operate on a solely physiological basis or account for cultural factors as well.

We're talking about Skin tones and how it is sometimes associated with race which does not exist.

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277  Edited By Matchstick

@Matchstick said:

You're just arguing semantics. You know full well that when people reference race they are talking about skin tones associated with geographic regions, it has nothing to do with the actual color of the skin. Otherwise they'd be called brown people, and pink-ish white people.

TotalBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278  Edited By TotalBalance

@TotalBalance said:

What do you mean physiological differences? Please elaborate more. Differences in a group of people is mostly likely due to different environments. We humans have already divided ourselves but yet we are still related to one another because all groups of [people can trace their genetics back to Africa.

For example the skin color of the various races is a physiological difference. So is, for example the cranial capacity (size of the brain) different between the races. In the end we all evolved from monkeys which evolved from early mammals but I don't think you would argue we are the same as Horses, or would you?

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279  Edited By BlessedbyHorus

@Matchstick said:

@Matchstick said:

You're just arguing semantics. You know full well that when people reference race they are talking about skin tones associated with geographic regions, it has nothing to do with the actual color of the skin. Otherwise they'd be called brown people, and pink-ish white people.

What are you talking about? Matchstick was the one who brought 'white' and 'black' just being skin tones. And I am the one who stated that people usually associate race with skin tones. Also why aren't 'Black people' called 'Brown People' than? I never said race was solely based on skin tones Matchsticks brought that up. Race is mostly based of off phenotypes which I am about to get into...

Matchstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280  Edited By Matchstick

@King-Stranglehold da first: lol it's not that hard to follow.

good day

I'm out.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281  Edited By BlessedbyHorus

@TotalBalance said:

@TotalBalance said:

For example the skin color of the various races is a physiological difference. So is, for example the cranial capacity (size of the brain) different between the races. In the end we all evolved from monkeys which evolved from early mammals but I don't think you would argue we are the same as Horses, or would you?

That's all due to different envoroments...West Africans are shorter and more muscular compared to East Africans They also have different head shapes, while East Africans are taller and more slimmer than West Africans.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0012261;jsessionid=BED9ADCD25F6D0037D5E772D024DB951.ambra01

And I know we evolved from primates. That basically in a way helps my argument. Again all humans can trace their genetics back to Africa. Phenotypes do not correlate with genotypes

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282  Edited By BlessedbyHorus

@Matchstick said:

@King-Stranglehold da first: lol it's not that hard to follow.

good day

I'm out.

Whats not hard to follow? I just said some people associate skin colors with race which is why we have black and white people in which people usually associate with African or European descant people.

TotalBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283  Edited By TotalBalance

@TotalBalance said:

@TotalBalance said:

That's all due to different envoroments...West Africans are shorter and more muscular compared to East Africans They also have different head shapes, while East Africans are taller and more slimmer than West Africans.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0012261;jsessionid=BED9ADCD25F6D0037D5E772D024DB951.ambra01

And I know we evolved from primates. That basically in a way helps my argument. Again all humans can trace their genetics back to Africa. Phenotypes do not correlate with genotypes

Except we have a lot of hereditary factors that do affect physiological outcomes regardless of environment. Even if a black man lived in northern Europe all his life he would not become white. I am not a biologist but it seems silly to argue that the current racial physiology we observe today is entirely environmental.

They are not a different species but there are differences between the various "races".

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284  Edited By BlessedbyHorus

@TotalBalance said:

@TotalBalance said:

@TotalBalance said:

Except we have a lot of hereditary factors that do affect physiological outcomes regardless of environment. Even if a black man lived in northern Europe all his life he would not become white. I am not a biologist but it seems silly to argue that the current racial physiology we observe today is entirely environmental.

They are not a different species but there are differences between the various "races".

Incorrect, how would he become white when white does not exist and its just a skin tone...And it doesn't work like that..For environments to play effect it usually takes a really long time. Also certain diets play a huge a effect too. You should also note that Africans of west African descent who live in Western countries are usually taller than the ones in West Africa. Why is that? They are not mixed. The something is said for African Americans too. And I also told you about West Africans being shorter, muscular and different skulls compared to East Africans, while East Africans have different skull types, are more taller and are more slim. But group of people live on the continent of Africa and are genetically African and related.

Here are some examples...

Maasi people of Kenya(East African stock)

Yoruba people of Nigeria(West African stock)

See the difference in height,skull shape and body structure all together? Yet both groups are still looked at as 'Black African' and bother groups are African and are related. So yes environments and diets does play a effect.

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285  Edited By Nelomaxwell
@King-Stranglehold da first
Who is that bad B!cth on your Avi?

@FalconPuuunch said:

@TotalBalance said:

@FalconPuuunch said:

@TotalBalance said:

@FalconPuuunch said:

@TotalBalance said:

@FalconPuuunch said:

@TotalBalance said:

@Nelomaxwell said:

@Glitch_Spawn said:

Welcome.

Would you consider homosexuals who use the pink triangle or call each other the F word or say things are 'gay' when they mean stupid the same thing? Cause I've seen it happen with an associate of mine.

@TotalBalance said:

@TotalBalance said:

I understand what you're saying. Due to the construct of race cultural patterns have formed, which have become physiological constants. Like black people naturally having rhythm I suppose. But there are cultural differences that seem to either be apart of genetic memory or are learned from an age so early and on such a subconscious level that they lay a foundation for a person.

Ex. I have an associate, he doesn't act what people would call black, likes indie music has proper diction ect. The dude saw Kligon bird of prey shirt and flipped out  saying . 'Yo ,that's a kilgon bird of prey shirt mah N!gga, that sh!t is hot son" I had to give him the side eye cause I've never known him to be a hood kind of black person but that popped right out of him. 

And let's not forget this guy.

xxxddd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#286  Edited By xxxddd

@Vance Astro said:

This thread is getting a little ridiculous.

What did I say that is ridiculous?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@xxxddd said:

@Vance Astro said:

Where did I say you said anything ridiculous?
laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288  Edited By laflux

@TotalBalance said:

@TotalBalance said:

@TotalBalance said:

Incorrect, how would he become white when white does not exist and its just a skin tone...And it doesn't work like that..For environments to play effect it usually takes a really long time. Also certain diets play a huge a effect too. You should also note that Africans of west African descent who live in Western countries are usually taller than the ones in West Africa. Why is that? They are not mixed. The something is said for African Americans too. And I also told you about West Africans being shorter, muscular and different skulls compared to East Africans, while East Africans have different skull types, are more taller and are more slim. But group of people live on the continent of Africa and are genetically African and related.

Here are some examples...

Maasi people of Kenya(East African stock)

Yoruba people of Nigeria(West African stock)

See the difference in height,skull shape and body structure all together? Yet both groups are still looked at as 'Black African' and bother groups are African and are related. So yes environments and diets does play a effect.

Fair point, but half of my ethnicity is Yoruba and I am relatively tall.

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289  Edited By Nelomaxwell
@Vance Astro said:
@xxxddd said:

@Vance Astro said:

How is the thread becoming ridiculous?
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Nelomaxwell said:
@Vance Astro said:
@xxxddd said:

@Vance Astro said:

I don't know what's going on anymore.
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291  Edited By King_Saturn
this is not directly a black people video... just a video humanity in general should look into.  

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292  Edited By Nelomaxwell
@Vance Astro said:
@Nelomaxwell said:
@Vance Astro said:
@xxxddd said:

@Vance Astro said:

I don't know what's going on anymore.
I think people are trying to have a legitimate discussion about race which may or may not teeter on falling off the rails.
Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293  Edited By Nelomaxwell
@King Saturn: What happened to your son Cozy , I haven't seen him in awhile.
FalconPuuunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294  Edited By FalconPuuunch

@Nelomaxwell: I don't know whats up with the pink triangle or how it would be offensive. Does it not mean female empowerment? What is wrong with that?

Ok.. I have had numerous gay friends in high school and my first year of college (last year) because my favorite cousin who lived with me during that time was gay and we always hung out and not once have I ever heard a gay person call another person a fagg*t in a friendly way. I don't respect anyone who uses that word either, whether they are gay or straight because I watched and experienced all through high school just how hard it can be to be openly gay. I wasn't gay myself but because I chose to stick up for my cousin I was called this many, many times as was he simply because he was gay.

Gay is different in my opinion because in general the word "gay" is not offensive whereas the swastika, the n word, and the f*g word are all perceived as terrible things. I don't really get angry when people call things "gay" because the actual word "gay" is not an offensive word or a word of oppression. It might be to some people who use it but not to me and a lot of other people. I don't really care about political correctness (as I mentioned earlier). I only care about two things and thats hypocrisy and common decency.

Hypocrisy because some people are using words that are really terrible and then get offended when other people of a different race use them.

And common decency because as a human being on this planet who co-exists with other human beings of different races, sexuality, cultures, religion etc. it is your common duty to respect everyone to some degree. I mean im not even saying you have to like a particular group of people. you just have to give them the benefit of the doubt by not saying these that could offend them.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295  Edited By King_Saturn
@Nelomaxwell said:
@King Saturn: What happened to your son Cozy , I haven't seen him in awhile.
he's in college now...
Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296  Edited By Nelomaxwell
@FalconPuuunch: The pink triangle was used by the Nazi's to mark Gays during the holocaust. It was a sign of shame which is now used as a sign of unity . I also think that the word usage has to do with which race is using them? This is like the master slave dialectic. Master can relate to slave as original oppressor cannot ever relate to those they have oppressed but Slaves can relate to other slaves just as oppressed can relate to other oppressed peoples. 
If that makes any sense.
FiMFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297  Edited By FiMFTW

@mrdecepticonleader said:

People are black people are white big deal.

The sooner we stop judging people by their skin colour the better.

Who are you, Captain Politically Correct?

FalconPuuunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298  Edited By FalconPuuunch

@Nelomaxwell said:

@FalconPuuunch: The pink triangle was used by the Nazi's to mark Gays during the holocaust. It was a sign of shame which is now used as a sign of unity .

You're not getting what i'm pointing out. I'm not about trying to correct the faults of man or trying to be a perfect person. Does the general person think a pink triangle is a sign of oppression If I wear a pink triangle and walk down the street are people going to look at me and think that I want to gas the gays? No. Because most people think a pink triangle is a pink triangle.

Now the swastika. Do people when they see a swastika think of nazis and death camps or do they think of enlightenment and power?

It's about common decency which means trying to be respectful to strangers in the most common and lowest of ways. When you say the N word you are being offensive to all black people (even if you are black). The N-Word is no pink triangle. Today if I were to say the N-Word in a public setting it would offend a lot of people. So I won't say it. Not because i'm not black, but because it's generally offensive to a lot of people.

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299  Edited By Nelomaxwell
@FalconPuuunch

I see what you're saying but I don't totally agree. I think the young dudes on the street don't feel offended when I say "yo what's good mah N!gga" I actually I think they feel quite good about it.  It's kinda like an inside joke a cultural nuance for those who've had their original culture destroyed. Actually there's a quote that says that if you're really black you can take Sh!t and turn it into gold. It's kinda that way with the N word, now everyone says it and for the record , I've had spanish friends, asians friends and middle eastern friends say what's say mah N!gga" and I felt okay with it, so I suppose it depends on who it's being said to as well.
Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#300  Edited By Nelomaxwell
@FiMFTW: Please don't respond to him, he has nothing good to say in this thread.