• 69 results
#1 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

While anyone who finished Mass Effect 3 would know that it's almost impossible to create a new game following the adventures of the trilogy, BioWare has since commented on the topic when confirming their new "Omega DLC" that should be arriving this fall.

“Executive Producer Casey Hudson and his team are coming off an amazing eight-year run with the Mass Effect trilogy. But they’re not done yet,” Flynn wrote. “We are releasing more multiplayer content and we have more single-player stories coming throughout the next six months, including Omega which is coming in the Fall. But the Mass Effect universe is vast, and Casey and our teams have plans for another full game. ‘Where to go next?’ with such a project has been a question a lot of us have been asking, and we’d all love to hear your ideas.”

Executive Producer Casey Hudson of the original trilogy has been stated to be interested in returning to oversee potential future instalments into the series

In talking about the future, Flynn also hinted at a new fictional universe in development at BioWare, mentioning alongside it that “Casey [Hudson] continues to oversee the development of our new Mass Effect project.”

On top of that, BioWare has also displayed interest in the past regarding games in the Mass Effect universe that didn't involve Commander Shepard.

So what do you ME fans think? Would you be willing to jump into the universe again but in completely new shoes? Would you want it to correlate with Shepard's story or continue off where the third game ended? Let me know in the comments below!

Source: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/09/18/bioware-hints-at-new-mass-effect-game-names-dlc

#2 Posted by Inverno (13155 posts) - - Show Bio

Quite honestly I don't know what to make of this. I am not the overacting fan that screams "MASS EFFECT 3 RUINED MY LIFE 4EVAH! WAH WAH WAH" (well at least not anymore), but I don't know how they can keep this up after they nearly torched the franchise.

#3 Posted by Lady_Liberty (8279 posts) - - Show Bio

Mass Effect was always about an experience.

The experience of being your own Shepard. The experience of making your own choices, and the experience of seeing those choices matter. The experience of the well written stories, the experience of your squad, and even relationships. Finally there was the experience of the Mass Effect universe, and all that made it unique.

But now that experience is spoiled by the memories of ME3, and the dreadful way it was handled. I can't turn on the game without thinking back to how crushed I felt after 'winning' ME3. I can't get on the Bioware forums without remembering some of the snide and condescending comments the Bioware staff made.

When the time comes and ME4 is in front of me on the shelf, that's not an experience I'm going to want to pay for.

I can experience disappointment and insults for free.

#4 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@CaioTrubat: @Lady_Liberty: Interesting perspectives, have both of you played the Extended Cuts?

Personally, I don't see this news as a sequel to ME3. I feel as if it would be better if it followed a brand new character while set in a galaxy after Shepard's time.

#5 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@CaioTrubat: @Lady_Liberty: Interesting perspectives, have both of you played the Extended Cuts?

Personally, I don't see this news as a sequel to ME3. I feel as if it would be better if it followed a brand new character while set in a galaxy after Shepard's time.

I would prefer the same. Have it go decades forward. This way we could involve Liara "a fan favorite", but include an entirely new cast.

#6 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991: I'd be perfectly fine with that, even if the story continued off a few months after the events of the third game.

#7 Posted by Inverno (13155 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: Yes, I played the Extended Cut (I picked the Destroy option because f*** the Reapers!!) and they provided me closure I wanted.

My point is: Commander Shepard's history is a really tough act to follow, and I don't think they can top what just happened in the series. I mean, is there anything left to told? What great threat other than the Reapers is left to fight? See what I mean?

#8 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@Blood1991: I'd be perfectly fine with that, even if the story continued off a few months after the events of the third game.

That would mean we could include Garrus :D, but I would love to see the long term effects of the choices my Shepard has made.

#9 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@CaioTrubat: I see where you're coming from, but Shepard's story wasn't so much pre-determined as it was your own. That could be easily replicated in another instalment and I'm willing to give it a shot if it sounds right.

#10 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

@Deranged Midget said:

That would mean we could include Garrus :D, but I would love to see the long term effects of the choices my Shepard has made.

As would I. The ME universe is rich with possibilites.

#11 Posted by SithLantern93 (2119 posts) - - Show Bio

Enough with this Mass Effect sh@ t! Give me KOTOR 3!

#12 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@Blood1991 said:

@Deranged Midget said:

As would I. The ME universe is rich with possibilites.

Very true. I just hope the next game lives to my expectations.

#13 Posted by Chronus (1115 posts) - - Show Bio

@CaioTrubat said:

Quite honestly I don't know what to make of this. I am not the overacting fan that screams "MASS EFFECT 3 RUINED MY LIFE 4EVAH! WAH WAH WAH" (well at least not anymore), but I don't know how they can keep this up after they nearly torched the franchise.

I agree with the awful effect ME3 had on the franchise. Before the third was released, I would have loved to see more games in the Mass Effect universe while expanding on the franchise's lore. ME3 had the exact same effect as DA II.

#14 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@SithLantern93: Sorry mate, didn't you hear? That was TOR MMO.

#15 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4698 posts) - - Show Bio

I could play a Mass Effect game that doesn't center around Shephard. I always found all the mini missions more exciting than the big kill missions and the choice of kicking people through windows always made me giggle (I said it). There is so much that can be done with a simple story. I was wary of looking at this thread since my nephew still has my second disc, so I haven't completed it yet.

#16 Posted by SithLantern93 (2119 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: That is TOR. Not KOTOR 3.

#17 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@SithLantern93: I know, it was merely a joke. But BioWare chose to make TOR instead of KOTOR 3.

#18 Posted by Inverno (13155 posts) - - Show Bio

@Chronus said:

@CaioTrubat said:

I agree with the awful effect ME3 had on the franchise. Before the third was released, I would have loved to see more games in the Mass Effect universe while expanding on the franchise's lore. ME3 had the exact same effect as DA II.

Pretty much, in fact until ME3 came out I was pissed with DA2's lack of closure and change between choices (much more so with the fact I like Dragon Age more than Mass Effect). I didn't expect they would pull that s*** again. So yeah I feel really pessimistic with anything Bioware is planning for the future.

#19 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@sesquipedalophobe: Don't worry, you'll get no spoilers from me mate.

#20 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@CaioTrubat: I can't compare as I've never really been a fan of Dragon Age, but personally, while ME3's ending irritated me, I didn't think it was the worst thing that happened to gaming.

#21 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really hate ME3... In fact, I enjpyed it. Even with the endings and all that. It's not as bad as FF13-2.

#22 Posted by _Araneae_ (413 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lady_Liberty said:

Mass Effect was always about an experience.

The experience of being your own Shepard. The experience of making your own choices, and the experience of seeing those choices matter. The experience of the well written stories, the experience of your squad, and even relationships. Finally there was the experience of the Mass Effect universe, and all that made it unique.

But now that experience is spoiled by the memories of ME3, and the dreadful way it was handled. I can't turn on the game without thinking back to how crushed I felt after 'winning' ME3. I can't get on the Bioware forums without remembering some of the snide and condescending comments the Bioware staff made.

When the time comes and ME4 is in front of me on the shelf, that's not an experience I'm going to want to pay for.

I can experience disappointment and insults for free.

Before I got a playstation, this was one of the first series I was looking at. I've got one just recently, and now I don't think I will. Feelings like this are why. A lot of people say they got screwed over.
#23 Posted by Lady_Liberty (8279 posts) - - Show Bio

@Anneliese: Yeah, I don't blame you.

#24 Posted by _Araneae_ (413 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lady_Liberty: Hey, you're the one who played it. You know what you're talking about.
#25 Posted by JediXMan (30188 posts) - - Show Bio

Just calling it now: it will be an MMO.

#26 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4164 posts) - - Show Bio

They didn't close the door on possible future games that take place after ME3, they clearly have interstellar flight according to the Extended Ending DLC and possibly the ability to use the relays or build new ones.. somehow.

#27 Posted by superstay (9678 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm waiting and watching dO.Ob

#28 Posted by nick_hero22 (6805 posts) - - Show Bio

Thane Thane Thane!

#29 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

Ugh I really hope not.

@nick_hero22 said:

Thane Thane Thane!

Thane was alight. I'm personally a fan of Garrus, Kasumi, Liara, Jack, and Grunt

#30 Posted by JediXMan (30188 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

@JediXMan said:

Ugh I really hope not.

I have suspicions that it will be.

@Blood1991 said:

@nick_hero22 said:

Thane Thane Thane!

Thane was alight. I'm personally a fan of Garrus, Kasumi, Liara, Jack, and Grunt

I never cared for Grunt, honestly.

#31 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan: I liked him more than Wrex and found his journey of self discovery interesting as well as slightly confusing.

#32 Posted by Tiamat (2074 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

What has given you suspicions?

From my understanding BioWare was not even remotely interested in delving into another mmo, let alone another one so soon.

#33 Posted by JediXMan (30188 posts) - - Show Bio

@Tiamat said:

@JediXMan said:

What has given you suspicions?

From my understanding BioWare was not even remotely interested in delving into another mmo, let alone another one so soon.

Doesn't matter what BioWare wants. They're owned by EA. What better way to milk a franchise than a game with a monthly fee?

#34 Posted by Tiamat (2074 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

They're owned by EA.

Touche.

EA >_>

#35 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Mass Effect 4: We're Sorry About Mass Effect 3

#36 Posted by _Zombie_ (10379 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

And like with TOR, it'll be an utter failure.

#37 Posted by Tiamat (2074 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZombieBigfoot said:

I would not call it an utter failure. Was it the WoW killer so many seem to desire? No, not even close. In fact imo they played it to close to the chest with being safe and made it a WoW clone with a Star Wars skin.

However the game did make money, still makes money and still continues to make more money than many of the mmo's out there.

#38 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
Hmmm.
#39 Edited by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

Mass Effect 3 wasn't even that bad. Great game. I enjoyed it.

Would like to have KOTOR 3, though!

#40 Posted by JediXMan (30188 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZombieBigfoot said:

@JediXMan said:

I like... parts of SWTOR, despite the fact that I can't login right now for reasons I don't know.

#41 Posted by _Zombie_ (10379 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan: Alright, so it'll be a partial failure.

#42 Posted by JediXMan (30188 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZombieBigfoot said:

@JediXMan: Alright, so it'll be a partial failure.

Gameplay is fun, execution is decent. Story... not so good. I just dislike it for unoriginality; I'd have preferred it take place during the Yuuzhan Vong War, the Clone Wars (the real Clone Wars. See: Star Wars: Republic if those of you reading this want to know what I mean), or even Legacy.

#43 Posted by _Zombie_ (10379 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan: A Yuuzhan Vong War game would be brilliant.

And I was mostly being sarcastic, it seems like a half-decent game.

#44 Posted by JediXMan (30188 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZombieBigfoot said:

I'm going to keep saying it until it happens.

I want a Battlefront or Jedi Knight game taking place during that time - preferably the latter.

#45 Posted by _Zombie_ (10379 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

@ZombieBigfoot said:

I'm going to keep saying it until it happens.

I want a Battlefront or Jedi Knight game taking place during that time - preferably the latter.

Just like I'll keep doing the same until we get another Republic Commando.

It'd be great, especially a Battlefront game.

#46 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

I really hope this is done well. I love Mass Effect despite its flawed ending

#47 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan: -.- You do realize most of what you say comes to fruition... so zip it!

#48 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

I agree, I personally wasn't thrilled with the ending but I didn't hate it. The Extended Cut actually made it better.

#49 Posted by JediXMan (30188 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@JediXMan: -.- You do realize most of what you say comes to fruition... so zip it!

I speak only the truth, man.

@Deranged Midget said:

@John Valentine said:

I agree, I personally wasn't thrilled with the ending but I didn't hate it. The Extended Cut actually made it better.

Have you read my (lengthy) ME3 review?

#50 Posted by FanofUltraman (153 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's have Fallout 4 before deciding anything.