BIGGEST Disappointments In Music

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I've got to say for me, at the moment, it's Gallows losing their front man, Frank and him going on and doing the pop band, Pure Love.

It's not that Pure Love are terrible, it's just that Gallows were so freaken' AWESOME!!!!!

Dammit.

See the comparison below.

Gallows Vs...

What are your great musical disappointments???

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By feebadger
Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feebadger: They used to make so many songs, and then they got worse and worse than just went on a "break" forever. Wish they would come back and do some more meaningful songs, like "where is the love" for example, or an older one like "Karma"

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By BumpyBoo  Moderator

Pffft...where to start?

• Everything My Chemical Romance recorded after I Brought You My Bullets... I love that album, but I cannot even mention the band without dying of embarrassment at how dreadful they are now.
  • Audioslave. You put Soundgarden and RATM together and THAT is the best that happens? I don't dislike them but damn, I expected a little more than that. But then I am biased - when I saw them live, they did the most horrendous Clash cover I have EVER HEARD O_O
  • Dave Williams from Drowning Pool died and after they replaced him...oh man, I don't wanna talk about it >_<
  • Frank Turner's solo career

There are a lot more, too...but this will do for now ;)

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Firstly, let me just say..

I LOVED the Black Parade single! It was like Queen returned but in bleached, posey emo form! Besides that it was shit.

Everything else i agree with wholeheartedly. Especially the Frank Turner part. Damn you, Frank.. you broke my heart.

@pyrogram: I despise them apart from their first album, so i respect your opinion, but, personally, may need more convincing.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@feebadger:

Well the saving grace with Drowning Pool AND Frank is I got to see both live before they started to suck ;) So there is some comfort in that. But still - yeah, he broke my heart too. He coulda been so much more!

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feebadger: Agreed actually, I want them to go back to how they used to be before they cashed in.

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo: @pyrogram: I never thought that would be a commonality between Frank and The Black Eyed Peas, but there it is; we all wish they could have been more :):):)

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BumpyBoo  Moderator
Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

G.O.O.D. Music's Cruel Summer compilation album, aka the first dud of Kanye West's career.

Yeah, the guy's an insufferable egoist, but musically speaking, his entire discography has been near-perfect (yes, even 808s). Top-notch sales (beating 50!), Grammy Awards (beating Em!), and critical acclaim. He pushed the limits to what was considered rap music; popularizing the soul sound, doing orchestral chamber pop with Jon Brion, collaborating with all genres, paving the way for both emotional and nerd non-conventional gangsta rappers. Save for Rihanna, he's Jay-Z's only protege to ever hit the heights of his mentor. He is arguably the most influential rap artist that came out in the 21st century - for now.

Then his glorified a*s had to go drop Cruel Summer. Everything about this album was just bad. First off was Kanye's new rapping style. No longer was he the comedic underdog of College Dropout, the heartbroken son of 808s or even the decadent king of MBDTF. Instead we get a typical braggadocio gangster, spitting aggressive rhymes that no one can take seriously. Then there was the horribly uneven production. And a lack of showcases from some of the label's better talents (Mos Def, Common), and instead we get stuck with mediocre rappers like Big Sean and CyHi. There was a lack of a collective vision, and the album is just all over the place, jumping from R&B love songs to A F*CK NI**A, THAT'S THAT SH*T I DON'T LIKE in a second. It was essentially a label sampler, not a real album. Now there were some great bangers in it (New God Flow, Mercy), but the overall project was just crushingly disappointing - especially after the recent successes of Watch the Throne and MBDTF.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pyrogram

@bumpyboo: I never thought that would be a commonality between Frank and The Black Eyed Peas, but there it is; we all wish they could have been more :):):)

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By feebadger

@veshark said:

G.O.O.D. Music's Cruel Summer compilation album, aka the first dud of Kanye West's career.

Yeah, the guy's an insufferable egoist, but musically speaking, his entire discography has been near-perfect (yes, even 808s). Top-notch sales (beating 50!), Grammy Awards (beating Em!), and critical acclaim. He pushed the limits to what was considered rap music; popularizing the soul sound, doing orchestral chamber pop with Jon Brion, collaborating with all genres, paving the way for both emotional and nerd non-conventional gangsta rappers. Save for Rihanna, he's Jay-Z's only protege to ever hit the heights of his mentor. He is arguably the most influential rap artist that came out in the 21st century - for now.

Then his glorified a*s had to go drop Cruel Summer. Everything about this album was just bad. First off was Kanye's new rapping style. No longer was he the comedic underdog of College Dropout, the heartbroken son of 808s or even the decadent king of MBDTF. Instead we get a typical braggadocio gangster, spitting aggressive rhymes that no one can take seriously. Then there was the horribly uneven production. And a lack of showcases from some of the label's better talents (Mos Def, Common), and instead we get stuck with mediocre rappers like Big Sean and CyHi. There was a lack of a collective vision, and the album is just all over the place, jumping from R&B love songs to A F*CK NI**A, THAT'S THAT SH*T I DON'T LIKE in a second. It was essentially a label sampler, not a real album. Now there were some great bangers in it (New God Flow, Mercy), but the overall project was just crushingly disappointing - especially after the recent successes of Watch the Throne and MBDTF.

Holy crap i can't add a single word to that testimony, your honour! I agree, Kanye went from being a clever, twisted version of hip hop (in the best possible way) to a smug, shoulder rubbing piece of obviousness who seems to have forgotten anything about the path he came in on. Well said, my friend. Couldn't add a thing and i think at least a million feel your pain :)

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feebadger: Hey, how about...Gotye, He did that one good song somebody I used to know , ( And "walking the plank" ) or whatever than in my opinion, did less meaningful or good songs, how about that guy?

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Veshark

@feebadger

Haha, thanks a lot pal, I'm humbled. Yeah, that whole post was actually a rant that had been boiling inside me for quite some time now. When Mercy and Cold came out, I was a little miffed by the production and Kanye's random threats. Then when New God Flow dropped, I was like 'this might still work out'. I figured with the recent successes of MBDTF and Watch the Throne, Cruel Summer would be another Kanye classic.

.....well, we all know how that turned out. xD

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram: Hmmm, he's Australian and been around here a lot longer than most might know, so to me he's always been hit and miss. I think disappointment gestures to something a bit more meaningful than just chart success. I guess i'm looking for more of a resonance, maybe.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pyrogram

@feebadger: I see, Seriously though his somebody song is not even my fave, its the walking plank eyes open thing ( If you remember? ) That is such a meaningful song enough thought it did NOT top the charts, one of my fave songs ever hands down.

Avatar image for ellie_knightfall
Ellie_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ellie_Knightfall

Alrighty...in high school and middle school Evanescence was one of my favorite bands. I think 8th grade was the year that Fallen was pretty much my anthem album. Those were the Ben Moody years.

The next album after that (The Open Door, IIRC) still had Amy's vocal talent and a couple of songs that I really liked (Call Me When You're Sober, Lithium, a few others).

But their most recent album...dear lord, it was such an abysmal dud.

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But does he, as an artist, resonate with you? Nothing worng if he does, he's definitely got a resonance. But has any musical artist really ripped your guts out?

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feebadger: Honestly no song really, I just listen to music for background noise while writing usually.

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By feebadger

BAH! Put down your keyboard and just listen for a while. No writing.

It will improve your entire life! ;P

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Pyrogram

@feebadger: Ok ok! But if it turns me into a sissy baby who cries over the smallest lovesong, I am coming for you! xD

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feel free, you blubby cry baby you! :) ;P

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Pyrogram
feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scoff away, you blubby cry baby you! :);P:)

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 the_stegman  Moderator

My Chemical Romance breaking up.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alrighty...in high school and middle school Evanescence was one of my favorite bands. I think 8th grade was the year that Fallen was pretty much my anthem album. Those were the Ben Moody years.

The next album after that (The Open Door, IIRC) still had Amy's vocal talent and a couple of songs that I really liked (Call Me When You're Sober, Lithium, a few others).

But their most recent album...dear lord, it was such an abysmal dud.

Wait a second you like Ben Moody?

My opinion of you has increased by 300% percent

From a 0.01 to 0.03

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I've been disappointed by pretty much everything Kid Cudi has put out after Man on the Moon: The End of Day. He's made only about five songs after that I've really enjoyed.

I'm also pretty disappointed with Hoodie Allen's new mix tape Crew Cuts.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_tree said:

I've been disappointed by pretty much everything Kid Cudi has put out after Man on the Moon: The End of Day. He's made only about five songs after that I've really enjoyed.

Creepers was undoubtedly the wackest cut on Cruel Summer.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@bumpyboo: What I love Frank turner!?!

Against Me! Next Wave, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs It's Blitz! Nathan Maxwell solo album....... To name a few.

@feebadger: Oh god that is what happened to the Gallows! I think i just threw up on my shoes.......

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By the_tree

@veshark said:

@the_tree said:

Creepers was undoubtedly the wackest cut on Cruel Summer.

LOL, I actually consider that to be one of his stronger tracks over the last few years.

I'm just not into this new style he's picked up. It's a very dark, slow, synth-rock style that's filled with tons of moaning. I liked when he was upbeat and putting out fun tracks, instead of the current wave of depression. I find his newer songs to be good for background music or smoking.

XIIXIIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By XIIXIIX

Lana Del Ray

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

@the_tree said:

Same here.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By lykopis

Awesome thread -- agree with everyone so far, especially Evanescence and Kanye.

I can't really think of anyone who disappointed me outside of what's been already said although I don't necessarily expect anything from artists anymore. Coldplay still pumped out some good songs with their last album but they aren't like they were before. It's like that with most artists I think now-a-days. I dunno. I have to marinade in this for a bit.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BumpyBoo  Moderator

Oooh but also:

• Ash after they gained a member
  • Manic Street Preachers after they lost a member
  • The latest Tomahawk album (why Mike, WHY??? O_O)
  • Temple Of The Dog

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_tree

Haha, really? To each his own I suppose, but the lyrics in Creepers had me rolling my eyes. "If I had one wish, I would have more wishes" "F*ck tryna make it rhyme."

I mean, I get it, Cudi, you're supposed to be this different 808s-esque act compared to your conventional rap peers but sheesh, did you really have to go on such an annoyingly ramble?

UNDERDOGZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@underdogz: Like, a successful one, or are you just disappointed that a rap hasn't passed your lips? If a rap passes your lips, doesn't that automatically make you a rapper? Or do you need 'raps'. plural?

UNDERDOGZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feebadger: I Do And Can RAP! but I am not a Mainstream rapper Yet. Haven't recorded professionally.

Well I'm 15! so yeah i can still do sumthin' bout that

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@underdogz: Can you, undergdogz? Can you??? 15 is a bit old in the tooth, i think. Kriss Kross had hit the heights and died in the flames of commercial failure by the time they were your age. Dammit, they were working in the mines and had beards and wooden teeth by the time they were 15!!!!

UNDERDOGZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feebadger: You Underestimate my Power?

Oh yeah i don't have wooden teeth and facial hair because I have a Baby's Face

BITCHES LOVE DUDES WHO LOOK LIKE BABIES!!!

Because BABIES

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@underdogz: Mmm.. bitches also love dudeswho refer to them as 'bitches.'

The reason they love baby faced guys who refer to them as 'bitches' is so they can slap the 'bitch' referring part out of you :)

UNDERDOGZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@underdogz: No hate on you, mister. Just as i know you would never refer to anyone as 'bitch' in real life, young sir :)

UNDERDOGZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feebadger: Yeah Of Course! Never Forget R-E-S-P-E-C-T

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BumpyBoo  Moderator
laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The Spinnerettes are not as good as the Distillers........... That Ok I still love you Brody!!!

No Caption Provided
thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By thespideyguy

Besides the disappointment I get when I turn on the radio, the biggest for me would be when Bradley Nowell died. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_Nowell

Listen to this. The blue guy is bradley he did guitar for this song.

Loading Video...