• 53 results
Posted by russellmania77 (15436 posts) 10 months, 30 days ago

Poll: better GL partner: Green Arrow or Flash (42 votes)

Green Lantern and Green Arrow 36%
Green Lantern and Flash 64%

Who is a better partner for GL

#1 Posted by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

Green Arrow

#2 Posted by Obtrusive (1646 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems like flash would be more useful, but i don't like him as well. I have wondered how green arrow could be useful to green lantern

#3 Posted by JetiiMitra (8644 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on the GL in my opinion.

#4 Posted by JetiiMitra (8644 posts) - - Show Bio

And depends on the Flash, too, I suppose.

#5 Edited by Extremis (3350 posts) - - Show Bio

This is Green Lantern and Green Arrow hands down. Anyone who has read the Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams run with those characters would understand.

They just play so well off each other.

Flash and GL is a not too distant second place though.

Edit: I'm assuming we are talking "the" GL, as in Hal Jordan. If we were talking Kyle Rayner, say, then it would be Flash Wally West.

Otherwise I'm sticking to my guns.

#6 Posted by cameron83 (7345 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

This is Green Lantern and Green Arrow hands down. Anyone who has read the Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams run with those characters would understand.

Edit: I'm assuming we are talking "the" GL, as in Hal Jordan. If we were talking Kyle Rayner, say, then it would be Flash Wally West.

#7 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6340 posts) - - Show Bio

Flash.

#8 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Hal and Barry are one of my favorite team ups

#9 Posted by MonsterStomp (18130 posts) - - Show Bio

This. They have one of the best relationships.

#10 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21878 posts) - - Show Bio

@peppeyhare said:

This. They have one of the best relationships.

yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

#11 Edited by Fallschirmjager (17601 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by russellmania77 (15436 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by Fallschirmjager (17601 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13191 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

I kind of agree/kind of disagree. Ollie's always come off as more of a blowhard than a friend. There to yell at you but never really there for anything else. they really didn't do much besides yell at each other.

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/avenging_x_bolt/blog/green-lantern-if-the-heroes-knew-then-what-they-do/89166/

#15 Posted by WillPayton (9461 posts) - - Show Bio

Realistically it's Flash. GL can fly around the world in the time it takes Green Arrow to find his car and start it up. GL fights alien invasions, GA fights muggers.

#16 Posted by WillPayton (9461 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by russellmania77 (15436 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Edited by Extremis (3350 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@extremis said:

I kind of agree/kind of disagree. Ollie's always come off as more of a blowhard than a friend. There to yell at you but never really there for anything else. they really didn't do much besides yell at each other.

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/avenging_x_bolt/blog/green-lantern-if-the-heroes-knew-then-what-they-do/89166/

They didn't just "yell at each other" they were trying to tackle complicated issues. And even still, true friends push each other to be better people and that's exactly what they did. That series wasn't about two bros patting each other on the back over pointless crap. It was about two men coming together to understand the world's problems and in the process they developed a very deep friendship rooted in respect that was beyond obligatory niceties. So what if that involves a lot of confrontation? They're badasses, what do you expect? That just makes them all the more awesome together.

What's so great about them is that they shoot each other straight, they don't sugar coat it or dance around whatever it is they're talking about. They also didn't waste time over pointless crap. If there were discussions being had you better believe it was over something important - usually dealing with the fate of mankind, human decency, the failures of civilization or something else ridiculously cool like that.

Flash and GL are cool and lighthearted. They're buds. But Lantern and Arrow? They're the real deal, man. Best true friends til the day they die.

#19 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (13191 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@extremis said:

They didn't just "yell at each other" they were trying to tackle complicated issues. And even still, true friends push each other to be better people and that's exactly what they did. That series wasn't about two bros patting each other on the back over pointless crap, it was about two men coming together to understand the world's problems and in the process they developed a very deep friendship beyond the obligatory nicetys. So what if that involves a lot of confrontation? They're badasses, what do you expect? That just makes them all the more awesome together. What's so great about them is that they shoot each other straight, they don't sugar coat it or dance around whatever it is they're talking about.

Flash and GL are cool and lighthearted. They're buds. But Lantern and Arrow? They're the real deal, man. Best true friends til the day they die.

Its funny, cuz Ollie apparently didnt feel that way since he told Hal to get lost and pretty much abandoned him when Hal needed him the most and didnt really start paying attention after Hal became Parallax. i agree that friends and people need a certain amount of confrontation in order to be healthy but they should also be there for more than to just give you a kick in the pants, like when you're home gets blown up by an aliens for instance.

#20 Edited by Extremis (3350 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@extremis said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@extremis said:

They didn't just "yell at each other" they were trying to tackle complicated issues. And even still, true friends push each other to be better people and that's exactly what they did. That series wasn't about two bros patting each other on the back over pointless crap, it was about two men coming together to understand the world's problems and in the process they developed a very deep friendship beyond the obligatory nicetys. So what if that involves a lot of confrontation? They're badasses, what do you expect? That just makes them all the more awesome together. What's so great about them is that they shoot each other straight, they don't sugar coat it or dance around whatever it is they're talking about.

Its funny, cuz Ollie apparently didnt feel that way since he told Hal to get lost and pretty much abandoned him when Hal needed him the most and didnt really start paying attention after Hal became Parallax. i agree that friends and people need a certain amount of confrontation in order to be healthy but they should also be there for more than to just give you a kick in the pants, like when you're home gets blown up by an aliens for instance.

first, I did a ninja edit (I'm known for that). So you should check that out.

And about that other thing, I never read the issue in question but that only sounds like one instance. Obviously it's a big deal but even best friends do terrible things to each other sometimes. No best friends in the history of man have been without fights and regrets.

Usually the times you get hurt the most are by the ones you love the most. We all make mistakes and do bad things to each other. It's what makes us human. GA and GL not excluded.

#21 Edited by Extremis (3350 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt: also I haven't even mentioned that this coming out in the late 80's, by a writer who was never a regular on GL or GA, and considering I've never seen Ollie be that despicable to anyone, this is very easily PIS. Gaiman was obviously trying to tell a story where Hal had no help from his fellow heroes. Rather than it coming about naturally from the characters it seems forced and everyone is acting way more harsh than usual all for the point of telling this specific story. It's an interesting story actually, but not one that's completely true to these characters' temperaments.

So yeah, from what I've seen from this issue it's PIS anyway. So it's a moot point. And considering this seems to be your main and only point, I don't find your argument compelling.

#22 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13191 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@extremis said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@extremis said:

first, I did a ninja edit (I'm known for that). So you should check that out.

And about that other thing, I never read the issue in question but that only sounds like one instance.

It was the first of several instances. Hal tried several times to patch things up apparently ( although the one instance i can actually may have been more for Dinah's sake then Ollie's), but Ollie kept pushing him away.I believe it even came to physical blows which for them isnt a big deal i suppose. They remained that way until Hal's breakdown.

Obviously it's a big deal but even best friends do terrible things to each other sometimes. No best friends in the history of man have been without fights and regrets.

Usually the times you get hurt the most are by the ones you love the most. We all make mistakes and do bad things to each other. It's what makes us human. GA and GL not excluded.

True. But we don't all run out on a friends when they need us. I understand Ollie was going through shit at the time but so was Hal and Ollie just didn't give a crap and if he did,he didn't show it in anyway. They may have been best friends before then but i can't bring myself to believe that they remained that way. i guess im just a bit more cynical.

On a funny but related note

#23 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Hal and Barry.

#24 Posted by PowerHerc (84035 posts) - - Show Bio

Green Arrow.

#25 Posted by Xwraith (18328 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (13191 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:

Where is this from?

Hal's Spectre series. i'll try and find the issue number.

edit: it was issue 24

#27 Edited by TheTrueBarryAllen (5225 posts) - - Show Bio

Hal & Barry are the dream team.

#28 Posted by JwwProd (9512 posts) - - Show Bio

Tough one but I'd say Green Arrow.

#29 Edited by Extremis (3350 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt: once again this all one instance though, and it's PIS to begin with. I've never seen any writer who understands these characters write one to be so blatantly harsh to the other. The way Ollie acted towards Hal was out of character. They both give tough love but not like that and in no other instances has this happened. He's never done that before and only did for the sake of the writer telling a story where Hal had no one to turn to. PIS.

If this is your only point then as I said, it's not a compelling enough argument. Especially compared to all the great things they did for each other, one PIS moment in comics (before the whole Emerald Twilight thing I might add) doesn't really hold up.

#30 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13191 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@avenging_x_bolt: once again this all one instance though, and it's PIS to begin with. I've never seen any writer who understands these characters write one to be so blatantly harsh to the other. The way Ollie acted towards Hal was out of character. They both give tough love but not like that and in no other instances has this happened. He's never done that before and only did for the sake of the writer telling a story where Hal had no one to turn to. PIS.

Of course Ollie was acting "out of character." it was to establish that he had changed by his recent trauma. It doesn't change the fact that it still happened, and it didn't change the fact that it affected their friendship. Hell when you think about it, is Ollie screwing over his loved ones REALLY that hard to believe? He cheated on Dinah,Cast out Roy and abandoned Connor etc

If this is your only point then as I said, it's not a compelling enough argument. Especially compared to all the great things they did for each other, one PIS moment in comics (before the whole Emerald Twilight thing I might add) doesn't really hold up.

Im not denying what they had during Green Lantern/Green Arrow im simply saying it didn't last and theres more to suggest their friendship died there or was changed forever (and by forever i mean until the next set of retcons).

#31 Posted by Extremis (3350 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt: what else is there to suggest this?

And please don't mention other things that happened around Emerald Twilight, where GL readership was so low DC basically didn't give a hoot about Hal and then did a decades worth of damage to the franchise.

#32 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13191 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@avenging_x_bolt: what else is there to suggest this?

Not much to be honest, they kind of avoided each other for a long time. there were a few instances where the interacted with one another all i can recall was one where Ollie was on a drunken rampage and Dinah asked Hal to try and reach out to him and another where they were on some camping trip and Ollie beat the crap out of Hal and Hal was crying "i want my friend back!!!!". and the whole murder fantasy thing but i have murder dreams all the time..hmmm maybe you've got a point about all this....

And please don't mention other things that happened around Emerald Twilight, where GL readership was so low DC basically didn't give a hoot about Hal and then did a decades worth of damage to the franchise.

You sounded a bit like me right there lol.

#33 Edited by Extremis (3350 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt: lol well see, come on you know its true that it happened around that god awful time for Hal. DC put the poor dude through the ringer and seemingly erased him.

Thank the comic gods for Geoff Johns, otherwise we wouldn't even be talking about Hal right now.

Those stories were out of character, PIS garbage in attempt for DC to revive readership. If anything they didn't really know how to follow the GL/GA high point from years prior. So that really speaks to lasting nature of that team up. And the only reason this late 80s/early 90s stuff is still canon is because Johns is a damn good writer and was able to keep it all in place with impossibly masterful storytelling.

#34 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13191 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@avenging_x_bolt: lol well see, come on you know its true that it happened around that god awful time for Hal. DC put the poor dude through the ringer and seemingly erased him.

Thank the comic gods for Geoff Johns, otherwise we wouldn't even be talking about Hal right now.

Those stories were out of character, PIS garbage in attempt for DC to revive readership. If anything they didn't really know how to follow the GL/GA high point from years prior. So that really speaks to lasting nature of that team up. And the only reason this late 80s/early 90s stuff is still canon is because Johns is a damn good writer and was able to keep it all in place with impossibly masterful storytelling.

Geoff retconned Helen Jordan out of existence and that made me sad inside. but i can understand alot of it. hell Emerald twilight was originally supposed to be Hal's magnum opus.....but then Ron Marz came........damn. alright you've sold me.

#35 Edited by Extremis (3350 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt: and lets not forget that the question is which is the better "partnership". GL and Flash are always fun to watch, but there's no question that GL and GA are the team up that really broke new ground. They rung in the Bronze Age and signified a paradigm shift in the medium, choosing to fight social injustices. They have a whole iconic series chronicling their battle to solve problems that are beyond being handled as simply as with fisticuffs. Just like serious problems in real life, it's never as simple as throwing a well placed punch. The world is full of complex problems and gray as hell.

That's why I think their partnership is way better. It's not just two superhero buds. They were doing something that had never happened before in DC comics, and superhero comics in general.

Personally it's my all time favorite team up, even over Batman and Superman. Those Denny O'Neill and Neal Adams GL comics represent the watermark for superhero team ups. I just don't see how Flash and GL compares to that lol. I suspect it might be that most people on here have read at least some Justice League rather than said GL/GA series and that might be why. But anyway, I digress.

#36 Posted by Bruxae (13908 posts) - - Show Bio

Lantern and Flash. I cant imagine Arrow actually being useful to a lantern.

#37 Posted by Justthatkid (3963 posts) - - Show Bio

Hal and Barry

Kyle and Connor?

#38 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (13191 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@avenging_x_bolt: and lets not forget that the question is which is the better "partnership". GL and Flash are always fun to watch, but there's no question that GL and GA are the team up that really broke new ground. They rung in the Bronze Age and signified a paradigm shift in the medium, choosing to fight social injustices. They have a whole iconic series chronicling their battle to solve problems that are beyond being handled as simply as with fisticuffs. Just like serious problems in real life, it's never as simple as throwing a well placed punch. The world is full of complex problems and gray as hell.

Well said.

That's why I think their partnership is way better. It's not just two superhero buds. They were doing something that had never happened before in DC comics, and superhero comics in general.

again, well said. i see it as GL/GA more interesting/iconic but The Brave and The Bold is closer

Personally it's my all time favorite team up, even over Batman and Superman. Those Denny O'Neill and Neal Adams GL comics represent the watermark for superhero team ups. I just don't see how Flash and GL compares to that lol. I suspect it might be that most people on here have read at least some Justice League rather than said GL/GA series and that might be why. But anyway, I digress.

This is somewhat true. Barry and Hal's friendship honestly wasn't unique or that definable back in the day. it was just one of the oldest and closest. Mark Waid was the one who truly defined it during his Brave And The Bold series. I think both Ollie and Barry offer different but equal things to Hal. Ollie challenged Hal's mind whereas Barry challenged his brain, Ollie gave him the necessary kick in the pants but Barry gave him the necessary nurturing. I think Hal needed them both. but thats just me.

#39 Posted by Extremis (3350 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt: I'm not sayin Barry is expendable, I even said that friendship was a "not too distant second". But I'm addressing the issue head on as who is Hal's "best partner".

And to me it's apparent the GL/GA partnership did the most for comics. They did far more memorable things together than the other. It's the best partnership.

#40 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13191 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@avenging_x_bolt: I'm not sayin Barry is expendable, I even said that friendship was a "not too distant second". But I'm addressing the issue head on as who is Hal's "best partner".

And to me it's apparent the GL/GA partnership did the most for comics. They did far more memorable things together than the other. It's the best partnership.

and im saying i agree with you. i was just saying making my opinions and the reasons behind them known not attempting to challenge yours

#41 Posted by Extremis (3350 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

and im saying i agree with you. i was just saying making my opinions and the reasons behind them known not attempting to challenge yours

oh ok fair enough I was just attempting to clarify my stance

#42 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13191 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@extremis said:

oh ok fair enough I was just attempting to clarify my stance

no problem. Bros? *holds out arms*

#43 Posted by Extremis (3350 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13191 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@avenging_x_bolt:

Hey Extremis!!!

We might seem different, as night and day

But i gotta say that i seee things, a different

but we looked a little deeper now we can see

That im just like you and your just like me!!!!!

We are the comicvine boyz and we have to shout

that the magic of friendship is what its all about

We are the Comicvine boys

standing side by side

findin the magic of friendship deep inside!!!!!!

The Comicvine boysssss!!!

#45 Posted by Extremis (3350 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@avenging_x_bolt:

Hey Extremis!!!

standing side by side

Damn drop the mic son, drop the mic! No one can follow that

#46 Posted by MaccyD (4081 posts) - - Show Bio

Flash-because there was more than one Green Lantern that had Flash as a partner.

#47 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13191 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

@extremis said:

@avenging_x_bolt:

Hey Extremis!!!

standing side by side

Damn drop the mic son, drop the mic! No one can follow that

Clicky

I wanna thank the creators of My Little Pony whose lyrics i completely ripped off even though i dont watch the show itself

#48 Posted by Extremis (3350 posts) - - Show Bio
#49 Edited by batmannflash (6222 posts) - - Show Bio

Hal and Barry!

#50 Posted by russellmania77 (15436 posts) - - Show Bio