#1 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

Wing Chun, Jeet Kune Do, Taekwondo, Karate (even though karate practitioners usually suck harder than any other martial art practitioner), Gung Fu, Boxing, Qi Gong, Muay Thai, Judo, JuJutsu...

Of all the martial arts (not just ones I listed), which one or ones is/are the very best in actual practical combat assuming you have an intermediate knowledge of them, and why? You can choose up to a combination of 3 martial arts. "Wrestling" is not an acceptable answer, it is a generic term, not a single martial art discipline. MMA is not acceptable because it is a mixture of martial arts that can vary between practitioners based on what they learned first, before going into MMA.

Do not forget to explain why your chosen martial art(s) is/are better than any/all of the others!

#2 Posted by mikethekiller (8160 posts) - - Show Bio

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for submissions and joint locks , Greco Roman wrestling for take downs and trows , and Muay Thai for striking .

#3 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@mikethekiller said:

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for submissions and joint locks , Greco Roman wrestling for take downs and trows , and Muay Thai for striking .

What about Judo for take-downs, or JuJutsu?

#4 Posted by mikethekiller (8160 posts) - - Show Bio

@minigunman123 said:

@mikethekiller said:

What about Judo for take-downs, or JuJutsu?

I prefer Wrestling personally.

#5 Posted by tg1982 (2707 posts) - - Show Bio

For Takedowns - I know Greco-Roman and Freestyle wrestling so either Greco-Roman wrestling or Freestyle wrestling for takedowns (I'm leaning more towards Freestyle wrestling as it's a bit more "complete" than Greco-Roman and allows taking the legs of an opponent)

For stand up - Boxing, it's relatively simple to use and I blew my knee out many years ago so kicks are all but a dream for me.

And for Submissions - BJJ, although considering my fighting style I wouldn't really use submissions (I'm a ground and pound guy, all the way), but for defending submissions I would learn BJJ.

#6 Edited by Relentless1 (230 posts) - - Show Bio

My own best martial arts:

Standing strikes: Kickboxing

Takedowns: Judo

Joint locks: Jiujitsu

#7 Posted by MarvelvsDCuniverse (94 posts) - - Show Bio

Stand strikes: Taekwondo

Takedowns: Judo

Joint Locks: Sambo

#8 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29331 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman.

#9 Posted by TheRealDeal153 (72 posts) - - Show Bio

Karate for standing strikes

Greco Roman Wrestling for takedowns

Aikido for joint locks

#10 Posted by MarvelAvengersAlliance10 (222 posts) - - Show Bio

Boxing for standing strikes because I'm more adept in using my hands than my feet

Freestyle Wrestling for takedowns

Sambo for joint locks

#11 Posted by SpideyPresence (1906 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

Batman.

/Thread

#12 Posted by Chosen1 (162 posts) - - Show Bio

Standing Strikes: Muay Thai

Takedowns: Greco - Roman or Freestyle Wrestling

Joint locks: Jiujitsu

#13 Edited by ALdragon17 (125 posts) - - Show Bio

Huh none, all fighting styles mean none thing if the fighter doesn't know how to use them. All fixed position will go down under Jeet Kune Do. I like to use flexible in fights and not so rigid. Move like the water or I like to say movie like the wind. Air can have the same reaction as water, as the wind can move water.

#14 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19489 posts) - - Show Bio

Going to go with Wing Chun. You attack while you defend, so a master would almost never get hit.

#15 Posted by nishi99 (374 posts) - - Show Bio

Balance and Weapons Ninjutsu

Grappling Judo

Striking Wing Chun

#16 Posted by The_Roman (3295 posts) - - Show Bio

The one that beats your opponent.

/Thread.

#17 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7622 posts) - - Show Bio

@mikethekiller said:

#18 Posted by GodOfMischief (616 posts) - - Show Bio

People that do karate don't suck harder than any other martial art, no martial art is better or worse than any other; it's just about how well the person performs at it.

#19 Edited by Strider92 (15262 posts) - - Show Bio

Krav Maga. Simple and effective with no unnecessary flashy movements. The main reason I like it is because it was actually developed to protect you if you actually get into a dangerous situation. Its doesn't teach how to fight fairly 1v1 with your opponent it teaches you how to fight to protect yourself even if it means fighting dirty. It teaches you what areas to hit, pressure points, joints, nerves etc.... simply so you can actually save yourself from a dangerous situation as quickly as possible. Knowing how to do a round-house kick is great and all but if you know how to beat someone as quickly as possible or even simply stun someone long enough to escape I see that as a far better use of learning time as opposed to other MA's that teach you things that look good but you might not get to use in a dangerous situation.

#20 Posted by mikethekiller (8160 posts) - - Show Bio

@GodOfMischief said:

People that do karate don't suck harder than any other martial art, no martial art is better or worse than any other; it's just about how well the person performs at it.

exactly

#21 Posted by Eternal19 (2074 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont think any is better than the other, because all of them have there pros and cons.

But personally i would pick Freestyle wrestling because, you can go for the legs and is much more practical than greco because you learn throws and the much easier leg takedown. Greco-roman wrestling isnt very practical for the average person because you have to be incredibly strong to do those throws and you cant go for the legs which is why most MMA fighters practice freestyle wrestling.

For the stand up fight i'd go with Muay Thai because, it seems more practical than flashy martial arts like Kung Fu,Wing Chun, and Karate.

#22 Posted by ssejllenrad (12780 posts) - - Show Bio

Best way is to Go Cross-Training

• Strikes/Punching - Boxing
  • Strikes/Kicking - Karate (Kyokushin or any hard style)
  • Striking Knees and Elbows - Muay Thai or Pradal Serey or Lethwei or Tomoi or Yaw Yan (They're basically the same)
  • Takedowns - Judo, Sambo and Wrestling
  • Grappling/Major Joints - Jujutsu or BJJ
  • Grappling/Small Joint - Aikido
  • Weapons/Sword - Kendo/Kenjutsu
  • Weapons/Staff - Wushu/Jodo
  • Weapons/knives - PT Kali
  • etcetera, etcetera, etcetera,

Of course I left out the already cross-training arts such as Jeet Kune Do (or Gun Fan if JKD is more philosophy to you), KaJuKenBo, MCMAP, Krav (Krav Maga, Kapap, Hagganah, etc....), Modern FMA (Modern Arnis, Kali JKD, Sayoc Kuntao Kali, etc.) and all the others.

#23 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

There is no best martial art. Only better fighters.

#24 Posted by _Hawk_ (2020 posts) - - Show Bio

In one on one fighting BJJ has proven to be the best.