#1 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

Is anyone else in America sick of people on TV talking about how everywhere aside from New York and LA suck?

They act like everything between New York and California may as well be an Amish farm. I'm not blaming the people of these cities for this just the media who act like the rest of us don't exist until some tragedy happens or if they do acknowledge us then its to make fun.

#2 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, I don't really care that much.

#3 Posted by The Stegman (24386 posts) - - Show Bio

If anything, it makes you worse, many people from LA are vain D-bags and people from NY are rude A-holes.

#4 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoy_elite: It usually doesn't bother me but sometimes I'll see a show that really seems to push the idea that everywhere else is terrible in comparison and it just gets on my nerves

#5 Posted by Oscuro (1079 posts) - - Show Bio

Oddly enough I've lived quite close to Amish farms. I prefer PA to those places. The media does a great job of ignoring the majority of the world in general.

#6 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Yeah but it gets balanced out by L.A and New York being portrayed as full of a holes.

#7 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoy_elite: Yea but they seem to act like a New York a hole is somehow better than a decent person from say Iowa.

#8 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

Well more people, the ratio of jerks tends to grow hehe

#9 Posted by PowerHerc (83972 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I'm tired of that mass media bullshit, too.

There is a helluva lot more to this country than just NYC and LA.

#10 Posted by Edamame (28157 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, that can get annoying from time to time. The thing is both California and New York are very high-income states, and they are simply popular areas for people to go to. They are very high in demand.

Nevertheless, there is more to America than just New York and California. Who would have guessed, right?! Arizona has the Grand Canyon, Florida has Disney World and some of the best beaches in the country, Chicago has (arguably) the best Chinatown in the nation, Massachusetts has the most well-educated population and some of the best and most renowned colleges/universities in the world, Boston > New York City (:D), Vermont has Ben and Jerry's, Tennessee has Nashville as a major music city, Connecticut has Yale University/Frank Pepe's/Lake Compounce, Texas/Oklahoma/the Dakotas all have OIL, et cetera. So there you have it.

#11 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@edamame: Indiana has one of the most famous auto races in the world annually

#12 Posted by GraniteSoldier (7782 posts) - - Show Bio

New Jersey wins.

But in all reality I've been stationed several places and I have always found something to enjoy about the place I was. Perspective is everything.

#13 Posted by Edamame (28157 posts) - - Show Bio

Indiana has one of the most famous auto races in the world annually

..... and much more affordable apartments. :)

I wonder how the job market is doing there, though.

#14 Edited by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@edamame: I know housing was way cheaper there, I grew up in Indiana and before I moved to Illinois I was renting a two bedroom half of a duplex for less than what I paid for a 1 bedroom apartment up here.

#15 Posted by Edamame (28157 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd also like to mention that Upstate New York is completely different from New York City.

Completely different.

#16 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@edamame: I've never been to New York so I wouldn't know, I've been to DC but never ventured to far into the North Eastern US. I have been all over the south and Texas tho.

#17 Posted by Batmandemon23 (138 posts) - - Show Bio

i live in ca and i hated going to la for Christmas vacation.

#18 Posted by Edamame (28157 posts) - - Show Bio

I know housing was way cheaper there, I grew up in Indiana and before I moved to Illinois I was renting a two bedroom half of a duplex for less than what I paid for a 1 bedroom apartment up here.

Yup. I'm sure that is due to Supply and Demand.

Is this near Chicago, if I may ask? That would explain the higher cost of living. The thing is you probably would need a car in Indiana, and owning a car can be a nuisance.

#19 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@edamame: I live just south of Chicago. In the town I lived in in Indiana having a car was helpful but it wasn't so big that getting around walking or on a bike wasn't much of a hassle

#20 Posted by The Stegman (24386 posts) - - Show Bio

@edamame said:

I'd also like to mention that Upstate New York is completely different from New York City.

Completely different.

I live in Syracuse, and I can attest to this.

#21 Edited by BiteMe-Fanboy (7846 posts) - - Show Bio

As the great Waylon Jennings once said:

"I'm too dumb for New York City, and too ugly for L.A."

#22 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm way too wired and impatient to enjoy ever living in L.A.

#23 Edited by ShadowX (1218 posts) - - Show Bio

Ive grown up in new york city in all my life and mever really understood what was so great about it. Manhatten is always crowded and i get lost ;-;. Although I do like the bronx zoo and the museums ^~^

#24 Posted by Edamame (28157 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never been to New York so I wouldn't know, I've been to DC but never ventured to far into the North Eastern US. I have been all over the south and Texas tho.

Which parts of the South, if I may ask? I have only been to Florida. Apparently, some of the Southerners that I have met didn't consider Florida to be a part of the South. lol

I live just south of Chicago. In the town I lived in in Indiana having a car was helpful but it wasn't so big that getting around walking or on a bike wasn't much of a hassle

Oh. Well, did they at least have a bus system there? I mean, that would be lovely if you could always walk to work without having to use a car at all. lol

@edamame said:

Completely different.

I live in Syracuse, and I can attest to this.

Yup. I mean, it is more affordable, less fast-paced, less competitive, etc. I will admit that I have only been to Ithaca, Albany, Saratoga Springs and Lake Placid. I don't know if the cities of Buffalo, Syracuse, Utica and Rochester are all similar to each other, though.

As the great Waylon Jennings once said:

"I'm too dumb for New York, and too ugly for L.A."

lol Good point.

#25 Posted by INLIFE (1600 posts) - - Show Bio

I live in Western New York (State). Currently, I am on vacation here in California and just visited L.A. It's really not what people make it out to be, well, except for Beverly Hills.

#26 Edited by HBKTimHBK (5242 posts) - - Show Bio

I was raised in the Hamptons, and I feel pretty superior to everyone I see. You should all bow before me.

#27 Posted by Edamame (28157 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Edited by HBKTimHBK (5242 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@edamame: They had a bus service tho I wouldn't suggest moving to my home town unless you like meth or truck stops, there are places in Indiana with lots to do but New Castle isn't one of them.

#30 Edited by Edamame (28157 posts) - - Show Bio

They had a bus service tho I wouldn't suggest moving to my home town unless you like meth or truck stops, there are places in Indiana with lots to do but New Castle isn't one of them.

I see.

.....Crystal Meth seems to be quite popular these days, especially in certain areas.

#31 Edited by cattlebattle (12770 posts) - - Show Bio

I have several friends in NYC....none of them act like that. I don't think the news does either....the local news where I live covers NJ and NYC primarily and its actually a fair amount of coverage. I think the national news gives a fair amount of coverage and acknowledges that every state is pretty much the same old sh*t.

#32 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

NY certainly makes for terrible wrestling fans. Otherwise I haven't noticed much of this trend.

#33 Posted by Nefarious (20349 posts) - - Show Bio

NYC and LA are very overrated.

#34 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (5599 posts) - - Show Bio

@edamame: Those are the Floridians who wanna be New Yorkers. They feel like simply being from the south makes you a hick.

#35 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7818 posts) - - Show Bio

People are people the world over, doesn't matter to me where they come from. Basically just don't be an ass.

#36 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33423 posts) - - Show Bio

Guys it happens to everybody, the only pepole that come from the UK are apparently Londoners even though there's, ya know, three whole other countries

#37 Posted by longbowhunter (7086 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't exactly like living in a small town, but I couldn't handle living in NY or LA either. Too hip, too vapid, too loud, too expensive. No place for a recluse.

#38 Posted by Immortal777 (7586 posts) - - Show Bio

The only thing that I look at is the weather and California has some of the best other than that everywhere is the same really.

#39 Posted by Bogey (946 posts) - - Show Bio

Is anyone else in America sick of people on TV talking about how everywhere aside from New York and LA suck?

They act like everything between New York and California may as well be an Amish farm. I'm not blaming the people of these cities for this just the media who act like the rest of us don't exist until some tragedy happens or if they do acknowledge us then its to make fun.

You must watch too much TV.

#40 Posted by Hit_Monkey (887 posts) - - Show Bio

Neither are better. People walk around armed to the teeth and the authorities have the power of execution there. To hell with living in those places.

#41 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

No sh*t.

#42 Edited by TDK_1997 (14896 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not from America and I am sick too of all this stupid talk.

#43 Posted by russellmania77 (15370 posts) - - Show Bio

I wanna go to Cali :D

#44 Posted by Jezer (3129 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never gotten that impression and was unaware it existed until this thread.