• 71 results
#1 Posted by pooty (11115 posts) - - Show Bio

An excerpt from the link below:

Whedon expanded on the omission of Pym to io9.com, saying, "We don't have to have him. It works very simply — this is Marvel cinema, not Marvel comics. One thing [Marvel Studios President] Kevin Feige has a genius for is knowing what to hold onto and what to let go of. You can invoke the feeling you had and play with the characters you love and remain true to the needs of the film."

So, if Pym doesn't create Ultron in the sequel, then who do we blame? "We're crafting our own version of it where his origin comes more directly from the Avengers we already know about," he's quoted as saying in the Marvel interview. "It's a little bit darker than the other film because Ultron is in the house. There's a science fiction theme that wasn't there in the other one. Ultron is definitely something that evolves, so we're going to get together a couple of different iterations. Nothing can be translated exactly as it was from the comics; particularly Ultron

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=46818

#2 Posted by YoungJustice (6841 posts) - - Show Bio

Whedon is an a$$hole, sorry, but he is.

How dare he f*ck up Ultron.

Ugh, he is disappointing me so much.

#3 Edited by russellmania77 (15290 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman/batman will do better than age of ultron

#4 Posted by jumpstart55 (2278 posts) - - Show Bio

Antman one of the original founding members of the Avengers gets replaced by freaking Hawkeye, and then Weadon has the nerve to not introduce him the sequel,or let alone give him credit for Ultron. Come on, man thats not fair to the fans of the comics.

#5 Posted by TotalBalance (742 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a smart decision for the financial success of the film, Pym likely wouldn't translate well into the movie Avengers universe and likely wouldn't be well received by the casual base whose only exposure to comics is these films, not to mention who doesn't like to occasionally see a new and original take on a character(s). I'm sure we will get another popcorn action blockbuster to enjoy in 2015.

#6 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, So No Pym is Lame. Blue Costume Captain America looks lame also btw.

#7 Posted by TheGreyOutcastX (2051 posts) - - Show Bio

The fan boy in me thinks this:

Antman one of the original founding members of the Avengers gets replaced by freaking Hawkeye, and then Weadon has the nerve to not introduce him the sequel,or let alone give him credit for Ultron. Come on, man thats not fair to the fans of the comics.

My common sense tells me this though:

This is a smart decision for the financial success of the film, Pym likely wouldn't translate well into the movie Avengers universe and likely wouldn't be well received by the casual base whose only exposure to comics is these films, not to mention who doesn't like to occasionally see a new and original take on a character(s). I'm sure we will get another popcorn action blockbuster to enjoy in 2015.

But frankly I know this will be the case:

Superman/batman will do better than age of ultron

#8 Posted by russellmania77 (15290 posts) - - Show Bio

I bet they'll make ultron like skynet like character in stead of a physical form

#9 Posted by Dernman (15074 posts) - - Show Bio

There is no reason Ant-Man shouldn't be in the Avengers. Just that short clip of the Ant-Man movie shows it could be good.

#10 Posted by dondave (37345 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

There is no reason Ant-Man shouldn't be in the Avengers. Just that short clip of the Ant-Man movie shows it could be good.

#11 Posted by Auralaria (479 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think much of Antman anyway, but what about Thanos? Is he not in yet, more build-up until another movie? Or side stories? What?

#12 Posted by Loki9876 (3045 posts) - - Show Bio

:( well, I can live with it.

#13 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (33359 posts) - - Show Bio

It's so messed up, why would they do that?

#14 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course, why have the best Avenger in a film when you can focus on Iron Man making stupid jokes and lots of explosions.

Whedon is a jeenyus!

#15 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's face it, Ant-man sucks. Whedon knows exactly what he's doing. Shame he's not with DC.

#16 Posted by consolemaster001 (5564 posts) - - Show Bio

That....wtf ?

#17 Posted by cameron83 (7290 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

@dernman said:

This.

and this

I am REALLY disappointed. Making Hawkeye and Black Widow founding members instead of Hank and Jan is one thing...it's a bit of a slap in the face,but it's one thing...but to make Hank NOT have ANYTHING to do with Ultron is just stupid. It takes away from both characters. It's like having Captain America not frozen in the mass of ice and not fighting in WWII. I mean,although it's a movie and a new interpretation,it's still just silly.It's still crucial to the character. Let's also not have Hank have the ability to shrink and grow to massive sizes....HECK,let's not have him in the Avengers franchise at all! It's not like this is a minor change like changing someones eye color or something!

Anyway,Ultron is probably going to be something created by Tony Stark. Yup,we're gonna have Tony as the center of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Let's just say that Ultron is going to be some new AI or something...

Ugh! I also hate the people that blindly support anything Joss Whedon does:

• Simply because he is behind it doesn't mean that it's gonna do good. This is such a massive change that it's not even funny,really. In fact,I don't even think we can call this Ultron. And again,these are crucial changes to 2 characters..2 important characters.

I just can't stand the people that blindly support his choices. It takes away HUGE essential aspects from both characters...It's just....wow. A huge slap in the face.What makes me even more upset is the people that say "well this has to appeal to the general public,not just comic fans" or some bull like that,wanna know why it's bull:

• Because we can't change essential aspects of a character just so it can appeal to people who have never read a comic or have any interest/respect in the character. It's a comic book movie. If that's the case,then why not delete all the colorful aspects of the characters...instead of a vigilante and such,let's just have Batman be a cop. Because it's a realistic take on a character.. I mean,I understand if it was like the Nolan franchise,but there is a REASON that it's kinda referred to as a comicbook movie. I understand it has to appeal to the general public,but that doesn't mean that we should just be thrown out the door.
  • Simply because you don't respect or have any interest in a character doesn't mean that hundreds others do not.

Ugh,screw this. I'm a bit on edge with this movie now. Looks like I can just narrow my choices to Superman/Batman.

F*** Marvel movies.

#18 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: Would You Rather hank Pym's Movie Start by Redeeming himself.

I'm Disappointed too man, but i'm not bashing in it yet, i will see the movie, and judge then.

#19 Edited by BishopSummers (52 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: Yep my guess is also that Tony Stark creates Ultron. Maybe he wants to create an A.I. to control the suit so he no longer has to be Iron Man? But who knows. I'd much rather have Hank Pym in the Avengers. I say put out the Ant Man film before Avengers 2.

#20 Edited by cameron83 (7290 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm Disappointed too man, but i'm not bashing in it yet, i will see the movie, and judge then.

I mean,I'm not saying the movie isn't gonna be good,but it's just so....grr. I don't think I have the words for it,let me just say it in the best way I can:

Instead of appealing to us (mainly),or at the very least,the general public and everyone (including us),they appeal solely to the general public,people who have no knowledge,interest or respect for these characters.

Do you know what I mean? It just pisses me off when we are thrown out the window. It just takes away crucial elements from the character (not only that,but it's not like this is a reimaging as done with Nolan's Batman franchise..but even still,he still made batman's parents die,he still made him train elsewhere.I mean,as for Bane,he did make him have LOS ties and such...point is you have to stick with the character,especially with crucial elements).

But still..I'm a bit pissed.Not saying it won't be good,though....

#21 Posted by cameron83 (7290 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: Yep my guess is also that Tony Stark creates Ultron. Maybe he wants to create an A.I. to control the suit so he no longer has to be Iron Man? But who knows. I'd much rather have Hank Pym in the Avengers. I say put out the Ant Man film before Avengers 2.

I think this is gonna happen,and it will greatly piss me off. Ya' gotta stick with the character: origin and all. It's what makes up the character (even if it's small.Although something unnoticeable or not really easy to find in terms of casting,like hair color and such really don't matter). And even crucial elements of the character.

I mean,it's just a slap in the face and..and...I really don't know how to explain it. Almost like betrayal. To us and the character.

#22 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: i can see why you'd be angry, and i was a little skeptical myself, still...

#23 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

Let's face it, Ant-man sucks. Whedon knows exactly what he's doing. Shame he's not with DC.

The only people who say this are people who've never read a Hank Pym story. He's the most interesting Avenger by a field.

#24 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

@fadetoblackbolt: I really haven't. Maybe one or two panels, but that's about it.

#25 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33359 posts) - - Show Bio

So they can cram in fake Quicksilver and fake Scarlet Witch but Hank Pym is a big no no? What a load of crap.

#26 Posted by cameron83 (7290 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

The only people who say this are people who've never read a Hank Pym story. He's the most interesting Avenger by a field.

I kinda agree,actually. I mean,he's one of the best characters in Marvel and in comics.

#27 Edited by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

@bishopsummers: I'm not sure if Tony will, but I think it's going to be like a Skynet scenario. Tony might not even be Iron Man. His job could always be to stop it using his hacking skills.

#28 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

@fadetoblackbolt: I really haven't. Maybe one or two panels, but that's about it.

Read Mighty Avengers by Slott (and Gage). You will be a Pym fan in no time. Series is amazing.

#29 Posted by King Saturn (224158 posts) - - Show Bio

No Pym Particles ?

#30 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5052 posts) - - Show Bio

As usual fanboys are in an uproar over a change that doesn't translate 100% to the silver screen. At least wait to the movie comes out to judge it. People bashing Whedon like he doesn't know what he's doing. Lmfao, he only made one of the highest grossing films of all time. Last time I checked these movies didn't just cater to comic fans. If these movies just catered to us these movies would never succeed. I'm sure this movie will be just as successful if not more than the first one.

#31 Posted by cameron83 (7290 posts) - - Show Bio

As usual fanboys are in an uproar over a change that doesn't translate 100% to the silver screen. At least wait to the movie comes out to judge it. People bashing Whedon like he doesn't know what he's doing. Lmfao, he only made one of the highest grossing films of all time. Last time I checked these movies didn't just cater to comic fans. If these movies just catered to us these movies would never succeed. I'm sure this movie will be just as successful if not more than the first one.

How exactly are fanboys in uproar?

And simply because of the Avengers doesn't mean that the second one is going to be good or even better than the second.

And of course they just don't cater to comic book fans,but are we simply to be thrown out the window and ditched for people who still think of "Super Friends",a show from the 70s (one that they have never watched) when they hear "Aquaman". I mean,it's not necessarily going to fail by any means,but still.....I'm excited that Scarlet Witch and Pietro are gonna be in it,but this bull that some creators do where they basically throw us out the window upsets me... I mean,again,not saying it's gonna be bad,but It almost feels like betrayal...know what I mean?

#32 Edited by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5052 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: I'm just as much as a fan of comic movies as anyone else, doesn't mean I whine and take this shit as serious as others do. It's just a movie no need to get all worked up about something that isn't even out yet. Average movie goers are what make these films succeed, so yeah our opinions are not as important as you might think. Using terms like betrayal and slap in the face are ridiculous. They are trying to make the film work and they are not going to use elements they believe wont translate as well to film. When any of you are making your own movies or get careers in Hollywood maybe your opinions will carry more weight.

#33 Edited by Dernman (15074 posts) - - Show Bio

@bishopsummers said:

I think this is gonna happen,and it will greatly piss me off. Ya' gotta stick with the character: origin and all. It's what makes up the character (even if it's small.Although something unnoticeable or not really easy to find in terms of casting,like hair color and such really don't matter). And even crucial elements of the character.

I mean,it's just a slap in the face and..and...I really don't know how to explain it. Almost like betrayal. To us and the character.

It's stupid. RDJ is already showing doubts about continuing as Iron Man much longer. Now would have been a good time to at least introduce him into the Avengers as a passing of the torch from the past Avengers scientist to future Avengers scientist. And his movie coming out before Avengers 2 but they are going to wait till Avengers 3?

#35 Edited by cameron83 (7290 posts) - - Show Bio

@lone_wolf_and_cub said:

@cameron83: I'm just as much as a fan of comic movies as anyone else, doesn't mean I whine and take this shit as serious as others do. It's just a movie no need to get all worked up about something that isn't even out yet. Average movie goers are what make these films succeed, so yeah our opinions are not as important as you might think. Using terms like betrayal and slap in the face are ridiculous. They are trying to make the film work and they are not going to use elements they believe wont translate as well to film. When any of you are making your own movies or get careers in Hollywood maybe your opinions will carry more weight.

1. Good for you. Not everyone reacts to things and feels the same way.

2. I think I can understand your point about it being "just a movie" and more importantly an alternate universe.

3. So,does that mean,"f*** the fans! It's the people who don't give a s*** about these characters and know nothing about them that we cater to!". You can please both by sticking to the material and at the same time making it appealing and understandable to someone who has never read a comic in their life.

4. How are those terms ridiculous exactly? They are used a bit loosely. I think that was obvious to be picked up on,but apparently not everyone picks up on it....

5. So does that mean we throw out any elements that are essential to the character? It's essential to the character. I don't see how being frozen in a block of damn ice for like 50 years works either,but they made it work and it is an essential part of the character whether they like it or not.Btw, It's a comic book movie,it's not exactly supposed to be the most realistic thing out there. If that's the case,let's just make Batman into a cop/former Soldier,since that's more realistic. And it's not exactly like it's a completely different reinterpretation from the comics like Nolan films...

6. In order to make an opinion on a movie,I have to make a movie? That makes no f****** sense. Not only that,but some of the people that direct these films have absolutely no knowledge or care for the characters.But whatever....

#36 Posted by cameron83 (7290 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

@cameron83 said:

@bishopsummers said:

It's stupid. RDJ is already showing doubts about continuing as Iron Man much longer. Now would have been a good time to at least introduce him into the Avengers as a passing of the torch from the past Avengers scientist to future Avengers scientist. And his movie coming out before Avengers 2 but they are going to wait till Avengers 3?

I feel ya man......

#37 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6286 posts) - - Show Bio

No Pym Particles ?

Maybe they'll be called Banner Particles in the films. :/

#38 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5052 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: If you don't like it don't watch it. The movie will make money regardless. Just because you think they should have the character in the movie doesn't mean it would work. Maybe they feel it won't fit and wouldn't make for a good story. Movies are a separate entity from the films so things like this don't bother me, but whatever I'll be seeing this regardless. Go complain to Whedon if it bothers you so much, bitching about here isn't going to change anything.

#39 Posted by cameron83 (7290 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: If you don't like it don't watch it. The movie will make money regardless. Just because you think they should have the character in the movie doesn't mean it would work. Maybe they feel it won't fit and wouldn't make for a good story. Movies are a separate entity from the films so things like this don't bother me, but whatever I'll be seeing this regardless. Go complain to Whedon if it bothers you so much, bitching about here isn't going to change anything.

1. I actually remember saying...at least twice...that this movie isn't necessarily going to be bad. But still,before saying how successful it's gonna be and how much more money it's gonna make compared to the original or the contrary,I actually remember people saying,"watch the material before you determine if it's good or bad"...something that I actually agree to.

2. Just because a director doesn't think that it will work doesn't necessarily mean that it won't. And it's still a bit crucial to the character and/or team. And I think that,if done right,most anything can work in a film. Simply because a director doesn't think that it's gonna work doesn't mean that it won't and again,if it's crucial to the character it's crucial to the character,whether they like it or not. And simply because a director personally feels the need that an Aquaman movie won't work doesn't mean that it won't.

3. I'm glad that you'll be seeing this regardless. I don't remember asking..nor do I really care.

4. Ok. Let me just get my cell phone,I've got Whedon on speed dial.... -__-

#40 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7816 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not a Hank Pym fan but I am very disappointed in this decision, I thought that the Ultron angle would have been great material for the character to reflect on in the Antman film, in a way atoning for the sins of his creation by becoming a hero. Guess not...

#41 Posted by Black_Arrow (3125 posts) - - Show Bio

I would understood it better if hank woudlnt have a film. But he is going to have one, so they think that they can making him work in a solo movie, then why not in the avengers

#42 Edited by King Saturn (224158 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by Vance Astro (91224 posts) - - Show Bio

Joss Whedon's explanation of it pisses me off more so than the fact that he's doing it in the first place. Cancel the Ant-Man film then. This is exactly why I b_tch so much about changes in films. WTF is the purpose of them? The idea that this is a money move and Hank Pym wouldn't translate well into films is BS. "Wont fit" is a sorry ass excuse. That tells me alot about you're writing and creative ability, Joss Whedon....

#44 Edited by YoungJustice (6841 posts) - - Show Bio

Joss Whedon's explanation of it pisses me off more so than the fact that he's doing it in the first place. Cancel the Ant-Man film then. This is exactly why I b_tch so much about changes in films. WTF is the purpose of them? The idea that this is a money move and Hank Pym wouldn't translate well into films is BS. "Wont fit" is a sorry ass excuse. That tells me alot about you're writing and creative ability, Joss Whedon....

This, this so much.

You have Hulk! A man who can turn into a big green monster and you are telling me that a scientist that can shrink/grow won't fit.

You could always have went with your make everyone a shield agent route and make him a scientist for them, not difficult.

Wheadon is just lazy, money driven, and not creative.

#45 Edited by The Stegman (24336 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know how I feel about this yet...

#46 Edited by SpideyPresence (1906 posts) - - Show Bio

Whedon made a great Avengers film, and I trust him to make another good Avengers sequel. That is all.

#47 Posted by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

I like how people care so much about this change despite the slew of otherones that have been made in the cinematic universe. Honestly who cares about Ultron's origin in a completely different Marvel Universe? As long as it's a good film I sure as hell don't.

#48 Posted by Gambit474 (1468 posts) - - Show Bio

If they're not going to make any mention of Pym with Ultron then why the heck make an Ant Man film in the first place? An Ant Man film is on the way yet why bother if you're not going to give Pym credit for Ultron? Aside from the Pym Particles,Ultron has been like the only other relevant creation Pym's made...Did Joss not pay attention to the whiplash of what happened when they changed Mandarin's character in IM 3?

Wtf is up with comic book films lately..it's like it's ok to butcher the characters now. Ghost Rider got screwed up,they killed venom,and Mandarin got messed up..These characters deserve far more justice then what these morons in hollywood are giving them. I know DC doesn't do too well in the live action film department but at least they make their characters still acceptable if they make changes

#49 Edited by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5877 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

I mean,I'm not saying the movie isn't gonna be good,but it's just so....grr. I don't think I have the words for it,let me just say it in the best way I can:

Instead of appealing to us (mainly),or at the very least,the general public and everyone (including us),they appeal solely to the general public,people who have no knowledge,interest or respect for these characters.

Do you know what I mean? It just pisses me off when we are thrown out the window. It just takes away crucial elements from the character (not only that,but it's not like this is a reimaging as done with Nolan's Batman franchise..but even still,he still made batman's parents die,he still made him train elsewhere.I mean,as for Bane,he did make him have LOS ties and such...point is you have to stick with the character,especially with crucial elements).

But still..I'm a bit pissed.Not saying it won't be good,though....

I'm hoping whedon listens to hear that people are upset to al least give Hank a little cameo or something. When Tony's building Ultron, he could say something like "I've combined my research with fellow scientist Hank Pym" or something along those lines so at least he has some connection.

I'm even more mad Quicksilver and scarlet witch are in the film, I really don't see them as Avengers and I don't like quicksilver.

#50 Posted by spiderbuck (2454 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

@dernman said:

This.

@youngjustice said:

and this

I am REALLY disappointed. Making Hawkeye and Black Widow founding members instead of Hank and Jan is one thing...it's a bit of a slap in the face,but it's one thing...but to make Hank NOT have ANYTHING to do with Ultron is just stupid.

Anyway,Ultron is probably going to be something created by Tony Stark. Yup,we're gonna have Tony as the center of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Let's just say that Ultron is going to be some new AI or something...